I have never seen a more overrated player than Wes Welker

Matt39

5 yard out, 5 yard out, 5 yard out....Super Bowl on the line, through the hands.

Moss made his career. Choke artist.

He's a hack. Its laughable that anyone could ever tell me this guy is an elite WR. I've said for years, there are 20-30 WR's I'd rather have over him and that play, was the perfect example. Ask the guy to make a slighty (not really) difficult catch down field and he cant. The fact it was the biggest catch of his life only further proves my point. He's not a true WR. He runs 5 yards and he a perfectly delivered ball waiting for him and then he picks up 5 more yards. Repeat over and over again. Ask him to do something difficult, to play like a real WR, he cant.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not even sure that drop was his fault. Looked to me like it was either Brady's throw or Welker's route. The placement was definitely not where it needed to be, but could be for either of those 2 reasons.

The one time where Brady didnt deliver the perfect throw and he asked Welker to make a routine catch that 100's of WR's make - he choked and dropped it. All those years of perfectly thrown balls, one time, he's was asked to make a slightly tough one and he choked. That tells the story of Welker. Nice little system slot WR, not a true WR. I'd take 20-30 guys before him and not even think twice about.

He's a good slot WR that plays with an elite QB on a pass happy offense.. Put him on a team with a bad QB and he's not catching 100 passes

Could you imagine him playing with Sanchez? 90% of his catches would be in that fashion. He'd be poop anywhere else.

You know who makes that catch, guaranteed? Santonio Holmes. 10 out 10 times.

He's averaging 100 catches, 1000 yards the past 5 years as a slot man, including this year where there was no Moss. Thats ridiculous dude. Yes Moss was a threat of concern, but Welker overrated? Yes he didnt have an all star performance in the SB, but saying that this guy is overrated is like saying Chrebet was overrated. Wes has been a nightmare for every team in the league and is one of the best slot receivers ever. His performance tonight simply shows how well the Giants match up against the Pats. Something the jets need to learn from.

Lets get a 4-3 defense and get some edge rushers. Players do their job and we'll be able to take over this division.

And yet, he's never been the guy that defenses that play the Pats are most concerned about.

When Moss was there the defensive gameplan was to make Welker beat you because Moss could completely destroy you.

Now that Moss is gone, most defenses are primarily concerned with stopping Gronk and Hernandez.

He just had his best scoring season with the Pats with 9 TDs (which is an awfully low number for a guy with 122 catches.) He's never led them in TD catches once, that's not a coincidence.

And yet, he's never been the guy that defenses that play the Pats are most concerned about.

When Moss was there the defensive gameplan was to make Welker beat you because Moss could completely destroy you.

Now that Moss is gone, most defenses are primarily concerned with stopping Gronk and Hernandez.

He just had his best scoring season with the Pats with 9 TDs (which is an awfully low number for a guy with 122 catches.) He's never led them in TD catches once, that's not a coincidence.

Oh please. The Jets didn't give a sh*t about Randy Moss when they played the Patriots, why would they? They had a good CB1. They planned for Welker. It's ridiculous. I'm tired of the hate this guy gets, just because he doesn't stop proving people wrong. This guy is a VERY good WR, better than anyone the Jets have, by far. I think it's time this boy gets some respect.

Its been interesting to hear some of the takes on the drops. Almost every WR seems to put at least 50% of the blame on the throw. Says he is wide open and its an easy pass and catch but Brady threw to the wrong shoulder and put way too much on it. Others are saying it hit the guy in the hands and he has to make the grab. A few QBs have said Welker turned the wrong way initially which is what messed the play up. Interesting stuff.

Oh please. The Jets didn't give a sh*t about Randy Moss when they played the Patriots, why would they? They had a good CB1. They planned for Welker. It's ridiculous. I'm tired of the hate this guy gets, just because he doesn't stop proving people wrong. This guy is a VERY good WR, better than anyone the Jets have, by far. I think it's time this boy gets some respect.

So putting their best CB (who also happens to be the best CB in the game) on Randy Moss was the Jets was of showing the Pats that they didn't care about Randy Moss?

He's averaging 100 catches, 1000 yards the past 5 years as a slot man, including this year where there was no Moss. Thats ridiculous dude. Yes Moss was a threat of concern, but Welker overrated? Yes he didnt have an all star performance in the SB, but saying that this guy is overrated is like saying Chrebet was overrated. Wes has been a nightmare for every team in the league and is one of the best slot receivers ever. His performance tonight simply shows how well the Giants match up against the Pats. Something the jets need to learn from.

Lets get a 4-3 defense and get some edge rushers. Players do their job and we'll be able to take over this division.

I wish I had a player like Welker or Welker himself on the Jets....

So putting their best CB (who also happens to be the best CB in the game) on Randy Moss was the Jets was of showing the Pats that they didn't care about Randy Moss?

They didn't need to game plan for him. Welker you need to have a solid game plan to stop. You have to bump him at the line, force him outside and double him.

Eli needs to learn how to show up for the first 3 quarters of his games. If his defense has a bad game his team is done for, which is exactly why they needed 9 wins to get them into the playoffs to begin with. Sorry, he's good, but he's still got a ways to go before he's close to either of those two.

I thought he hit his first 10 or so passes out of the gate.

They didn't need to game plan for him. Welker you need to have a solid game plan to stop. You have to bump him at the line, force him outside and double him.

No you don't.

You need to gameplan to stop Gronk because he's the guy who scores all the TDs. Everyone's goal is to make Welker beat them. I haven't even looked at his numbers in depth but I'd say Welker's best individual performances came in NE's closest games/losses while Gronk's biggest games were in blowouts.

Translation: when you make Welker and not Gronkowski Brady's go to receiver, you are keeping the game close and have a chance to win.

It's a fair point. He averages about 5YPC less than anyone comparable to him in total yards.

Fair point, but anyone comparable to him arent averaging over 100 catches/1,200 yards a season to for a half decade to begin with. Secondly, the people that would be compared to him are mostly #1 WR's on their respective teams, Welkers doing this as a slot.

Fair point, but anyone comparable to him arent averaging over 100 catches/1,200 yards a season to for a half decade to begin with. Secondly, the people that would be compared to him are mostly #1 WR's on their respective teams, Welkers doing this as a slot.

Welker's the #1 option at receiver, no matter where he lines up. The guy who gets the bulk of the looks is the #1 WR.

This is true, until AFTER the game when Welker recorded 14 catches for 200+ yards, which was most likely the reason why the other team lost. As for "awfully low" TD's, when you have a well oiled machine such as what NE has 9TD's is great for a "slot receiver". Just look around the league and see what other slot receivers scored/caught.

Moss was gone this year and Welker had arguably his best season. If Welker was putting up these numbers and he was a Jet this wouldnt even be a topic of conversation right now.

He caught 122 passes for over 1,500 yards and 9 TD's. Doing things like this once or twice in your career I can see how someone can call it being overrated, but to average close to these stats for 5 consecutive years means that you know how to get open and the QB knows how to use you.

On a NE offense you're absolutely right. Generally speaking though, he plays the slot position. And even if, 122/1,500/9 isnt bad by any stretch of the imagination for ANY #1 receiver.

I understand what it means in general, but as you say, it's NE and that's how they run their offense.

I didn't say Welker was bad. He's very good at what he does. I just think he's overrated.

And what gives with you defending Welker? I thought you hate white people? ;)

I understand what it means in general, but as you say, it's NE and that's how they run their offense.

I didn't say Welker was bad. He's very good at what he does. I just think he's overrated.

And what gives with you defending Welker? I thought you hate white people? ;)

I hear you, I dont think he's overrated. I think 5 years of consistency is pretty deserving of whatever he's rated as. But im not trying to convince you of anything....I just responded to the topic you know.

As for white people.....No comment. lmao!

Anyone on the Jets during the Schotty era would be a 600 yard per year guy. Now that Todd Haley has gone to the Steelers and Sparano is the OC I wonder what our passing game is going to look like now.

SMFH.

They are going to run, run, hope they are in a 3rd and 3 or less, short pass.

Once in awhile they are going to play action and toss it upfield

I heard that on homes of brilliance such as WEEI in Boston, callers are calling in and referring to Welker as Wes Buckner

like the wicked witch Jizella said, it's EVERYBODY'S FAULT BUT TOMMY'S

I do not know what you are listneing to, reading or watching, but he has been receving his portion of the blame.

Many are giving him the blame for the safety, the pick, not giving Welker the best pass to catch and missing Branch on what would have been a long play.

Archived