•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Jets should go Defense in this years draft - Yahoo Sport Article

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#26 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 28,015 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

he got some blocks lol

people that allowed him to do what he did also got blocks

Sure.  Put the Jets offensive line in there or the Jets special teams in with Jacoby Jones and he doesn't score?  Of course he does and the Jets suck.  He scored because he is one of the fastest players in the NFL.  He got 10 yards behind the DB because he is fast.  Not because somebody threw a block. 

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#27 jetsjetsjetss

jetsjetsjetss

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

Sure.  Put the Jets offensive line in there or the Jets special teams in with Jacoby Jones and he doesn't score?  Of course he does and the Jets suck.  He scored because he is one of the fastest players in the NFL.  He got 10 yards behind the DB because he is fast.  Not because somebody threw a block. 

i actually think the jets o line is good so idk if thats a good comparison. If it was the eagles o line flacco woulda been on his back not throwing a bomb to jones

#28 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,317 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

if we look at the players likely available at 9, it becomes clear why defense might be the pick. 

5 possible OLB (Werner, Mingo, Jarvis, Moore, Jordan)

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#29 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,670 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

You're right, the top guys in the country aren't choosing Alabama because it's a pro style offense, has Saban as a head coach, competes in the SEC, win every year, get huge national exposure on a weekly basis and churn out pro prospects. The last four #1 reqruiting classes for Bama where probably a statistical anomaly. I'm sure these kids are choosing Tuscaloosa for it's diversity and world renowned African Studies department, not with an eye on the NFL.

I really don't get why you're trying to inform me that Alabama recruits well, or what it has to do with anything that has been said. You're not breaking any news by informing me that they recruit well and recruit well because they have success.

Edited by SenorGato, 11 February 2013 - 06:36 PM.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#30 pedro55

pedro55

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

Alabama's great defense and offense got beat up by Texas A&M and a freshman QB who is kind of like the Wilson, RG3, and Kapernick's of the world.

They almost got beat and should have been beat by a Georgia team who had an offense.       The year before they lost to LSU in a game where LSU didn't score a TD.    Yeah, wasn't that the Jets with Sanchez?   Lose games 10-9?       

And by the way, the Jets have an Alabama QB who won a national championship.   How did that work out?

#31 Larz

Larz

High priest of Syrinx

• Members
  • 18,642 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

speed was the buzz word like 2 years ago. Eagles didnt make it work the people that win championships are the big guys up front

we have enough #1's invested on the line.  we need speed at OLB, RB, WR, S etc etc

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

#32 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,670 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

Alabama's great defense and offense got beat up by Texas A&M and a freshman QB who is kind of like the Wilson, RG3, and Kapernick's of the world.

They almost got beat and should have been beat by a Georgia team who had an offense.       The year before they lost to LSU in a game where LSU didn't score a TD.    Yeah, wasn't that the Jets with Sanchez?   Lose games 10-9?       

And by the way, the Jets have an Alabama QB who won a national championship.   How did that work out?

I don't get how you guys are coming with "college football is different from the NFL" while at the same talking to me about the success of Alabama's recruiting and the failures of Greg McElroy. The NFL doesn't recruit (except FAs, which has minimal impact on what launched this) and Greg McElroy is not a competent NFL QB but rather a competent college QB. It's just driving around their basic "great D with great secondary, big OL with a running game, and competent QB play" formula, which has worked at every level of football. You're stuck on the example/label I used/gave, Alabama, and nothing else. They do not veer from this very basic formula, and so long as they can maintain the level of talent that brings their success that formula will work. Like the Jets, they compete for that talent. Unlike the Jets, recruiting is the only route for them to acquire talent and maintain their success.

Nowhere have I talked about Alabama's great offense. A great offense is not a pre-req to winning. A team needs one that won't take the team out of the game like the 2011 and 2012 Jets' offenses did.

Edited by SenorGato, 11 February 2013 - 07:31 PM.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

#33 jetsjetsjetss

jetsjetsjetss

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

we have enough #1's invested on the line.  we need speed at OLB, RB, WR, S etc etc

yea id like olb and id like if we get a rb in 2nd. WR and S i feel are luxury picks and should be focused to get once we build a dominate line on both sides of the ball.

#34 SayNoToDMC

SayNoToDMC

In search of terminally ill online girlfriend

• Members
  • 6,849 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

I don't get how you guys are coming with "college football is different from the NFL" while at the same talking to me about the success of Alabama's recruiting and the failures of Greg McElroy. The NFL doesn't recruit (except FAs, which has minimal impact on what launched this) and Greg McElroy is not a competent NFL QB but rather a competent college QB. It's just driving around their basic "great D with great secondary, big OL with a running game, and competent QB play" formula, which has worked at every level of football. You're stuck on the example/label I used/gave, Alabama, and nothing else. They do not veer from this very basic formula, and so long as they can maintain the level of talent that brings their success that formula will work. Like the Jets, they compete for that talent. Unlike the Jets, recruiting is the only route for them to acquire talent and maintain their success.

Nowhere have I talked about Alabama's great offense. A great offense is not a pre-req to winning. A team needs one that won't take the team out of the game like the 2011 and 2012 Jets' offenses did.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't following. We just have to draft way better than every other team. Have an awesome line, secondary, defense, special teams. Then get a stud running back, throw a competent QB like Flacco or Kaepernick in there and we got a shot. I wish you sent in a resume before this Idzik clown got hired, you've got it all figured out. I really hope this idea of drafting better players came up in the GM search cause we should should definitely just use our 2nd rounders on a lineman you're talking about instead of Vlad Duccase next time.

Edited by SayNoToDMC, 11 February 2013 - 08:47 PM.

28ad228d-4df6-4b64-b890-b5246112bd82.jpg

#35 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,670 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

Sorry, I guess I wasn't following. We just have to draft way better than every other team. Have an awesome line, secondary, defense, special teams. Then get a stud running back, throw a competent QB like Flacco or Kaepernick in there and we got a shot. I wish you sent in a resume before this Idzik clown got hired, you've got it all figured out. I really hope this idea of drafting better players came up in the GM search cause we should should definitely just use our 2nd rounders on a lineman you're talking about instead of Vlad Duccase next time.

I like how this is sarcastic as if it's not true or impossible minus the "way better" part. The Jets were just there in 2010 with a QB playing borderline competent ball.

Ooph on the rest of it. You're sarcasming my genius after giving me a lecture on how college isn't the NFL, how college teams have to recruit, and how the Tide are successful because they are successful? Jeebus....

#36 T0mShane

T0mShane

Mark Sanchez is my spirit animal

• Members
  • 29,204 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

I like how this is sarcastic as if it's not true or impossible minus the "way better" part. The Jets were just there in 2010 with a QB playing borderline competent ball.

Ooph on the rest of it. You're sarcasming my genius after giving me a lecture on how college isn't the NFL, how college teams have to recruit, and how the Tide are successful because they are successful? Jeebus....

Tuscaloosa is a sh*thole.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#37 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 39,039 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Heaven and Hell

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

if we look at the players likely available at 9, it becomes clear why defense might be the pick. 

5 possible OLB (Werner, Mingo, Jarvis, Moore, Jordan)

I agree.  I think the value is definitely at that position.  IMO the drop off after those prospects is significant and the difference in talent between say picks 15-45 range isnt as nearly as wide of a gap.  Of course there are going to players that slide in their and make that comment look silly but the overwhelming majority wont be that much better than the next.  

Edited by JiF, 11 February 2013 - 09:38 PM.

Posted Image

#38 Larz

Larz

High priest of Syrinx

• Members
  • 18,642 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

yea id like olb and id like if we get a rb in 2nd. WR and S i feel are luxury picks and should be focused to get once we build a dominate line on both sides of the ball.

OLB then RB would be sweet.  heck the jets have so many needs, the only early picks that would piss me off would be center, punter or kicker, lol

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

#39 SayNoToDMC

SayNoToDMC

In search of terminally ill online girlfriend

• Members
  • 6,849 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

Not according to Trip Advisor, did you know it's the home to the Paul W. Bryant museum and the Mercedes-Benz US international visitor center and factory tour? It's where the kids want to be

http://www.tripadvis...sa_Alabama.html

Edited by SayNoToDMC, 11 February 2013 - 10:03 PM.

28ad228d-4df6-4b64-b890-b5246112bd82.jpg

#40 T0mShane

T0mShane

Mark Sanchez is my spirit animal

• Members
  • 29,204 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

Not according to Trip Advisor, did you know it's the home to the Paul W. Bryant museum and the Mercedes-Benz US international visitor center and factory factory tour? It's where the kids want to be

http://www.tripadvis...sa_Alabama.html

If I ran a 4.2/40, I'd be tearing ass through that Benzo joint.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#41 Lizard King

Lizard King

Oh sh*t We Suck Again

• Members
  • 5,801 posts
  • LocationMendham, NJ

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

Offseason is teh suck
There will be in the next generation or so a pharmacological method of making people love their servitude and producing dictatorship without tears, so to speak, producing a kind of painless concentration camp for entire societies so that people will in fact have their liberties taken away from them but will rather enjoy it.
Aldous Huxley

#42 Il Mostro

Il Mostro

Cazzone

• Members
  • 5,266 posts
  • LocationOut West

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

Yeah, but Waffle House and Cracker Barrel rule.  It is extreme exotica to me.  Alabama -- the last frontier.

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. Then it's just fun.

#43 jetsjetsjetss

jetsjetsjetss

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

OLB then RB would be sweet.  heck the jets have so many needs, the only early picks that would piss me off would be center, punter or kicker, lol

bahah knowing them they somehow draft barret jones with our ninth pick

#44 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,670 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:53 AM

I want to draft two OLB prospects. Or two LB prospects...One in the first hopefully/probably, and then someone like Tank Carradine, Kevin Reddick, Jamie Collins, Quanterus Smith, Lemonier, Thomas, Williams etc.

#45 LAD_Brooklyn

LAD_Brooklyn

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:40 AM

Uhhhh, what are we going after in free agency? I'm pretty sure after doing that we can have a better understanding who to draft.

#46 jack48

jack48

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 5,208 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:31 AM

If we draft defense than when the offense stinks and we still lose then all the posters over here would say what can the defense do, they are on the field all the time.

right.  defenses do not score points.  at least not a lot of points.  our defense scores no points.  our offense scores few points.  we know where the emphasis should be.  having said that, if Jones is there at 9, and we are not trading down, so be it.  there are no WRs or QBs worth getting there that would e available.

#47 BurnleyJet

BurnleyJet

Fan for 30 years (You get less for Murder these days!)

• Members
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:53 AM

I say go BPA, it's the way, reaching for need Is dumb. Plus this year is not the year to go Q.B early.

#48 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 19,992 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:01 AM

The guard would piss me off, too, but otherwise I agree.

I want to draft two OLB prospects. Or two LB prospects...One in the first hopefully/probably, and then someone like Tank Carradine, Kevin Reddick, Jamie Collins, Quanterus Smith, Lemonier, Thomas, Williams etc.

BAP all the way - but if the BAP method lands two OLB's, I'll also be pleased.

Uhhhh, what are we going after in free agency? I'm pretty sure after doing that we can have a better understanding who to draft.

I don't see the Jets being very active in free agency this year. Probably sitting on their hands during the first flurry, then looking for bargains. That's the way I'd play it, anyway. If they want to hold onto guys like Landry, DeVito, or Keller, that'll eat into their budget, too.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#49 whodeawhodat

whodeawhodat

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationI was up above it, now I'm down in it.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

step 1- trade down for a number 1 next year

step 2 - trade revis for a 2nd rounder 2013, 1st rounder 2014(if you can get anything more i am all for it)

step 3 - cancel this years NFL season ticket

step 4 - ???

step 5 - profit

#50 flgreen

flgreen

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 17,509 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

I’ll be surprised if the Jets sign any FA’s before the draft.

Think they will draft, see what they have, and supplement it with some second tier FA’s later.

Probably OL. A veteran guard would be nice if they can find one cheap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users