Rex Ryan Won't Say If Mike Goodson Will Return To Jets At All

flgreen

Rex Ryan won't say if Mike Goodson will return to Jets at all

BY Seth Walder

With only a few words of a non-answer, Rex Ryan made Mike Goodson’s absence both mysterious and alarming. When asked Friday if he expected Goodson to return to the team at all, Ryan would not say.

“Again, you know what? I know where he is and all that stuff and I guess that’s all I’m going to leave it at,” said Ryan Friday toward the end of his press conference following the first day of practice in Cortland. Ten minutes earlier, Ryan had said, “I said what I said about Mike, and I’m just going to leave it at that. I don’t really want to get into the specifics and what I know and all that kind of stuff.”

When Goodson did not report on Friday, Ryan issued a statement via the team that read, “We knew Mike was not going to report and we understand why he’s not here.”

Goodson’s agent, Kennard McGuire said Thursdsay, “Mike is attending to a few personal matters. The Jets and John Idzik are aware and have been nothing short of supportive.”

In May, Goodson was arrested on weapons and drug charges. The case is currently at the pre-indictment stage. McGuire said Goodson’s current absence had nothing to do with his legal issues.

--

Chris Ivory missed practice on Friday because of a tweaked hamstring. Ivory said he expected to miss “two days, max” due to the injury, and Ryan echoed that he didn’t think it was serious.

--

Joe McKnight, who had been on the non-football injury list, passed his conditioning test and was in practice on Friday. Running backs coach Anthony Lynn said McKnight was on the list for an undisclosed medical issue and that he is in excellent physical condition.

From the quotes it seems like Rex simply refused to talk about Goodson at all.  I'm guessing that whether it really is due to his legal issues or something else, it's considered a personal matter that the team doesn't feel it is their place to discuss.  Beyond that, I think it's just more of the media's reading something from absolutely nothing, rather literally in this case considering it's an article about what Rex didn't say.

Better to waste a 4th on a RB than a 1st like so many teams do. 

That's why I don't mind too much. I don't believe he will be getting many touches though, to your original point. If Goodson isn't on the team and McPuke keeps it up, then I can see it happening. But, not as the team is currently constructed.

If Idzik and the coaches had confidence in him, they wouldn't have brought in 2 new RBs.

Just my opinion. We'll see how it plays out soon enough!

Yep

Going to be part of his plea bargain.   Have to wonder how long that will run a lot of serious rehab places run 6-10 months

If it's for weed, he'll need to be clean to play in the league anyway.  That stays in your system for 30 days.  

If that's the case, he could enter a 90-day program and be out before week-1.  He might not be in "football shape" but if he has his playbook, he'll be serviceable by the end of September. 

The odds are much more in Goodson's favor for playing at some point this year and the type of speed he brings to the table is something we haven't had in a long time.  I think once he hits the field, there will be a lot less people calling for us to cut him. Kid has a lot of ability.

Why cut him? We are this far into it with him. As long as he isn't prison bound.. let the convict play.

I agree with this.

If he already has $1M of our money, the least we can do is let the legal process play out and hope to get a return on our investment. It's not to say we couldn't find a suitable replacement this far into the offseason, but the chances are slimmer. 

Archived