SPORTS

Scores

Standings

News

More

Kiper: 2014 NFL Mock Draft 2.0

Mel Kiper [ARCHIVE]

ESPN Insider | February 6, 2014

Super Bowl XLVIII was another good reminder that the draft is really only the beginning. Teams don't just fill needs with players they like; they draft players with developmental stories in mind. Seattle has been exceptional in this regard the past few years, and while it's my job to evaluate picks with my own player evaluations as the prism, I can certainly give credit when teams do an excellent job turning picks into players and good traits into system fits.

2014 NFL Draft

NFL DraftRd. 1: May 8

Rd. 2-3: May 9

Rd. 4-7: May 10

Radio City Music Hall

New York City

Draft order | Draft home

• Mel Kiper's latest mock

• Todd McShay's latest mock

• Mel Kiper's Big Board

• Todd McShay's Top 32

• NFL draft player rankings

We'll hand out draft grades for how well teams added value, but never forget how much success is developed, not just drafted.

A couple of things to remember before my second mock draft:

• Teams are starting to catch up on a number of players, but similar to my first one, I'd say I match needs to fits a little more here because "best player available" is still a work in progress for teams.

• I feel good about most of my heights, weights and speed/strength reports, but there are always surprises at the combine.

• Remember: I can't reflect trades. I will point out good spots for a move.

One final note: A few players I see as good bets for Round 1 who didn't fit in this mock: Ryan Shazier, Aaron Donald and Derek Carr. My inability to reflect possible trades factored in there.

* Denotes a junior or redshirt sophomore at the time of draft entry.

^ Indicates that Baltimore and Dallas will flip a coin to determine which team picks first.

1 Johnny Manziel * COLLEGE: Texas A&M AGE: 21 HT: 6-0 WT: 205 POS: QB

Analysis: My internal debate here was Mr. Football or Mr. Clowney. Thing is, I don't think that's too much different than the scenario going on with Houston right now -- just add a few players to the mix. In Manziel, you get a quarterback who in my opinion is ready to play NFL football and make plays, and is preparing with the goal of helping a team right away. In Jadeveon Clowney, you get the most talented player in the draft, a defensive force to pair somewhere along the line with J.J. Watt and create major problems for opposing offenses. Right now I'll stick with the early bet on Manziel, and the idea that coach Bill O'Brien becomes convinced this is his QB of the future.

PLAYER CARD

2 Greg Robinson * COLLEGE: Auburn AGE: 21 HT: 6-5 WT: 320 POS: OT

Analysis: The Rams need a tackle -- in fact, they need more than one. And while Robinson doesn't have the same level of experience as the next two tackles on the board, I think once the combine is over, the consensus will be that he's the player with the highest ceiling at the position. An absolute mauler in the run game, he has plenty of length and athleticism to also become dominant in protection. While the Rams could certainly deal this pick, I can't reflect that here.

PLAYER CARD

3 Jadeveon Clowney * COLLEGE: South Carolina AGE: 20 HT: 6-5 WT: 274 POS: DE

Analysis: The owner in Jacksonville has made it pretty clear that the search for a quarterback is on, and the draft is a place they'll be looking. While I think they'd be a good fit for Manziel, in this scenario he's not around, and they instead go with the top pass-rusher in the draft. Make no mistake, QB is a huge need, but the Jags have been looking to improve the pass rush for years. If they love one of the other QB possibilities, that could certainly be the pick, but if the board breaks this way, I think Clowney proves irresistible.

PLAYER CARD

4 Teddy Bridgewater * COLLEGE: Louisville AGE: 22 HT: 6-2 WT: 220 POS: QB

Analysis: I think it's fair to say that for the first time in a while, the Browns have the talent in place to really help a young quarterback succeed. The presence of Josh Gordon and Jordan Cameron and the results those two were able to put up last season with pretty mixed levels of QB play should give the Browns' front office a reasonable level of confidence that a good decision-maker with a high level of accuracy has a chance to succeed early. And while Bridgewater still has areas where he needs to show growth, particularly in proving he can drive the ball down the field with accuracy on a consistent level, I think he also has a lot of traits that translate to early success. He reads defenses well before and after the snap, moves extremely well within the pocket, and delivers the ball on time, allowing pass-catchers to make plays. If Manziel is available here, he could certainly be the pick, but Bridgewater is no consolation prize on my board.

PLAYER CARD

5 Sammy Watkins * COLLEGE: Clemson AGE: 20 HT: 6-1 WT: 205 POS: WR

Analysis: This is a pick that could go in a number of directions, and for a team with so many needs -- including what should be a priority to simply build greater roster depth -- that could also mean trading down to add picks. I think taking a QB is certainly in play here, but if the board breaks this way, the Raiders also could look to take the best wide receiver in the draft with Watkins, an electrifying talent who can make any QB look better with his blend of competitive pass-catching and exceptional running skills with the ball in his hands.

PLAYER CARD

6 Anthony Barr COLLEGE: UCLA AGE: 21 HT: 6-4 WT: 248 POS: OLB/DE

Analysis: There will be questions about the type of scheme Barr is best suited for, but we probably pay too much attention to that. In Atlanta, Barr could easily work in what we'd traditionally call a 4-3, standing up on the edge and using his exceptional quickness to create pressure, something the Falcons need to find. Last year, they looked to upgrade the secondary, but that group will be exposed if they can't find a more consistent rush. I also think Barr can add some muscle without losing that lightning first step.

PLAYER CARD

7 Khalil Mack COLLEGE: Buffalo AGE: 22 HT: 6-3 WT: 245 POS: OLB

Analysis: I'm sticking with this pick from the previous mock, as Mack gives the Bucs a much-needed edge rusher with three-down capabilities because of his great leverage against the run and ability to drop into space and both cover and tackle. I expect big things from Mack at the combine. He'll face questions on his competition level, but I'm confident he'll prove he's as good an athlete as almost any defensive player in the draft.

PLAYER CARD

8 Blake Bortles * COLLEGE: UCF AGE: 21 HT: 6-4 WT: 230 POS: QB

Analysis: The Vikings lack any sense of certainty at the QB position. While I think Bortles will have a bit of a learning curve because he needs to gain much greater consistency with his ball placement, he has tremendous physical upside, with a big frame that can really move, which will provide an added dimension to help the offense move the ball as the passing aspect steadily improves. Can Bortles start right away for a team that wants to take a step forward? I think that's a question for the process.

PLAYER CARD

9 Jake Matthews COLLEGE: Texas A&M AGE: 22 HT: 6-5 WT: 305 POS: OT

Analysis: The injuries to EJ Manuel last season would make you think pass-blocking has to be a priority, but where the Bills' offensive line was really bad was in creating any push in the run game. You don't just protect a young QB by creating a pretty pocket, it's also nice when he can hand the ball off with any reasonable sense of optimism. Matthews will help. I suspect he'd jump in right away at right tackle and succeed -- he can play left or right -- and his ability to finish as a run-blocker could pay early dividends.

PLAYER CARD

10 Justin Gilbert COLLEGE: Oklahoma St. AGE: 22 HT: 6-0 WT: 200 POS: CB

Analysis: Gilbert has some competition to be the first corner taken, but I expect him to put up some pretty impressive numbers at the combine. He should prove to be a pretty big draw in a league where big corners who can battle at the catch point but also have elite speed and quickness are coveted. Detroit should get some development at corner on the current roster, but also could face some turnover. They need to place a bet on another young corner or two.

PLAYER CARD

11 Taylor Lewan COLLEGE: Michigan AGE: 22 HT: 6-7 WT: 315 POS: OT

Analysis: This is another pick I'm sticking with, as the Titans have some decisions to make at tackle both this offseason and next with current personnel, and Lewan could come in and provide immediate help, as well as a bridge to life after Michael Roos at left tackle. Lewan plays with a solid base and is particularly good as a run-blocker, but has the combination of power, length and good feet to handle both speed and power rushers. Going back to his junior season, he handled Jadeveon Clowney pretty well.

PLAYER CARD

12 C.J. Mosley COLLEGE: Alabama AGE: 21 HT: 6-2 WT: 232 POS: LB

Analysis: I await the inevitable critique that the Giants never take linebackers in the first round, but I'll stick with this pick. (I know the people who authored that philosophy, so consider me unafraid to be wrong here.) I just think Mosley is as close to a plug-and-perform linebacker as you can have in this draft because of his range and special ability to cover. The guy would really help against the offenses the G-Men see in the NFC East. The Giants were helped by the presence of Jon Beason last season, but this unit is a major question mark going forward, and they could use an impact talent, not just a Band-Aid.

PLAYER CARD

13 Mike Evans * COLLEGE: Texas A&M AGE: 21 HT: 6-5 WT: 225 POS: WR

Analysis: We talk about receivers who are competitive at the catch point and can outmuscle defenders for the ball. Well, Evans isn't just good at the catch point; he makes the catch point out of reach for many defenders due to his long frame and basketball-borne air skills. He is a fluid runner, if not a quick-twitch athlete, but you don't draft Evans for his ability to separate from defenders. You draft him because it doesn't matter if he does. Just throw it high enough. Sam Bradford will love having that kind of option.

PLAYER CARD

14 Timmy Jernigan * COLLEGE: Florida St. AGE: 21 HT: 6-2 WT: 298 POS: DT

Analysis: Another pick I'm sticking with because of the hand-to-glove fit of talent and need. I'm a bigger fan of Jernigan in a 4-3 look, where he's using his power to go through a blocker and not trying to beat people off the snap and use quickness. He's not a blow-by rusher, but has the strength and quick feet to eat up a running play before it goes anywhere. The Bears were a mess on the inside of the D-line last season due to injuries.

PLAYER CARD

15 Louis Nix III COLLEGE: Notre Dame AGE: 22 HT: 6-3 WT: 345 POS: DT

Analysis: While I project Nix here because he's an obvious system fit working directly over the center or shading a little -- eating gaps and making everyone around him (particularly behind him) more effective -- he actually has decent quickness for such a mammoth human and could also work in a 4-3. To say Nix moves like a 300-pounder is a compliment, and Pittsburgh could use some help on the defensive line, particularly up the middle.

PLAYER CARD

16 Eric Ebron * COLLEGE: North Carolina AGE: 20 HT: 6-4 WT: 231 POS: TE

Analysis: I wouldn't compare Anquan Boldin to Ebron, but I will say this: Quarterbacks love to have guys they can throw to with the confidence that their guy can win a contested catch. You could say Boldin lacked the quickness to get open, but he was a trusted target because of the way he could use his size and strength to win a physical contest to catch a pass. Ebron is the kind of new-breed tight end who can be split out, line up in the slot, or take a hit from a strongside linebacker and get into a route where he becomes a constant matchup threat and a likely winner for contested passes. Joe Flacco will like having him around.

PLAYER CARD

17 Ha Ha Clinton-Dix * COLLEGE: Alabama AGE: 21 HT: 6-1 WT: 208 POS: S

Analysis: Defensive line could also be a pick here, as the team has some age concerns up front, but safety is a major area of need. The Cowboys could use a free safety with range, good instincts and experience who can come in and play right away. Clinton-Dix provides the added bonus of being able to help out closer to the line of scrimmage. While he's great in single high, you can bring him up and he won't shy away from contact.

PLAYER CARD

18 Marqise Lee * COLLEGE: USC AGE: 22 HT: 6-1 WT: 198 POS: WR

Analysis: Before the flood of junior wide receivers entered the draft class, I would have told you that Lee, with his experience and reputation for reliability catching the ball and explosiveness after the catch, would easily be among the top two or three wide receivers taken. But I think the Jets will be considering a wide range of options here at that position, and because of the depth of this class, they could also wait and take a receiver later. Still, I like the fit here -- a team in serious need of added production at that position gets a very good pass-catcher who can make big plays with the ball in his hands.

PLAYER CARD

19 Zack Martin COLLEGE: Notre Dame AGE: 23 HT: 6-4 WT: 308 POS: OT

Analysis: The Dolphins are in need of a versatile offensive lineman or two, and what Martin lacks in ceiling, he brings in ready-to-play value. He's got plenty of experience at left tackle, and acquitted himself well there against Senior Bowl competition. However, I think he has the smarts and experience to handle right tackle right away, and he could also be really good if moved inside. Did I mention the Dolphins need to add some talent on the offensive line?

PLAYER CARD

20 Cyrus Kouandjio * COLLEGE: Alabama AGE: 20 HT: 6-6 WT: 315 POS: OT

Analysis: He has the frame you'd describe if you were talking about ideal physical traits for a left tackle, but Kouandjio battled inconsistency last season, and was particularly susceptible to extremely quick pass-rushers who could drive upfield and turn the corner on him, getting under his reach. But let's be clear about something: Kouandjio could be a total steal at this point, a long and powerful tackle who won't be 21 until after the draft. The upside of an All-Pro is here.

PLAYER CARD

21 Calvin Pryor * COLLEGE: Louisville AGE: 21 HT: 6-2 WT: 208 POS: S

Analysis: People wonder how a prospect can have a lot of "momentum" after all of the games have been played and before the combine starts. What changed? Well, there's simply a lot of teams finally taking a closer look at prospects, and Pryor is a guy who flew under the radar earlier in the season, but closed out his career at Louisville extremely well, and teams are beginning to catch up now that it's evaluation season. Pryor is a downhill safety who will fly up to the line of scrimmage and make plays. While he's got work to do in coverage, he's instinctive and athletic enough to get better there. And he has momentum that could help him push past Clinton-Dix as the first safety taken.

PLAYER CARD

22 Odell Beckham Jr. * COLLEGE: LSU AGE: 21 HT: 6-0 WT: 193 POS: WR

Analysis: He could show off elite straight-line speed at the combine, but he's particularly explosive out of breaks, creating separation and making him dangerous with the ball in his hands. His speed also translates to the return game. Beckham could be a good fit in Philly not just because he's a good receiver for a team that could use help in that department, but because he's versatile, and can work in the slot or on the edge.

PLAYER CARD

23 Kelvin Benjamin * COLLEGE: Florida St. AGE: 22 HT: 6-4 WT: 232 POS: WR

Analysis: The Chiefs have Dwayne Bowe, and they like the development of former first-round pick A.J. Jenkins, but they also have a limited QB in Alex Smith, a player who needs receivers to be playmakers to make up for the fact that he's not exactly going to pick defenses apart. I thought Benjamin could use another year of seasoning at Florida State, but given his size, speed, catch radius and ability to beat defenders before the catch and run away from them after the catch, he could be a steal here. The Chiefs don't need him to be a hero in Week 1.

PLAYER CARD

24 Darqueze Dennard COLLEGE: Michigan St. AGE: 22 HT: 5-11 WT: 197 POS: CB

Analysis: This is a pick I'm staying with, as I like both the fit and the fact that the Bengals have few major needs, but corner is certainly one. To quote the previous mock, "there are some concerns going forward at a couple of spots, with both age (Adam Jones and Terence Newman are north of 30) and health (Leon Hall ended the season on injured reserve), so the Bengals don't just need depth, they could use a player capable of starting." Dennard can start, and he brings a physical style and an ability to press combined with great awareness and the ability to defend like he's in your jersey without simply grabbing.

PLAYER CARD

25 Marcus Roberson * COLLEGE: Florida AGE: 21 HT: 6-0 WT: 195 POS: CB

Analysis: The Chargers did a pretty good job of scheming their way around some holes at corner during the late-season run, but there's no question they could use another good cornerback (or two), particularly because I think that defensive line and pass rush could take another step forward next season. Roberson can get a little lackadaisical, but it can also look easy for him out there because he has good instincts and a sense of where routes are going. He has long arms and can get his hands on the ball. He simply needs to be more physical against the run and grab a little less in coverage.

PLAYER CARD

26 Davante Adams * COLLEGE: Fresno St. AGE: 21 HT: 6-2 WT: 214 POS: WR

Analysis: There's a decent chance the Browns will be working with an inexperienced quarterback taking the snaps in 2014, and while Josh Gordon and Jordan Cameron are enticing matchup threats, the Browns could really use a reliable third option, because beyond those two, drops and inconsistency were an issue. In Adams, you get a strong receiver who will make plays in traffic and beat defenders for the ball on contested throws. If the Browns go QB at No. 4, they could decide to add pass-catching help by the time they get to this slot. They'll have some good options, so fit will be key.

PLAYER CARD

27 Antonio Richardson * COLLEGE: Tennessee AGE: 21 HT: 6-6 WT: 327 POS: OT

Analysis: He showed more holes in his game on tape than some tackles ahead of him here, and perhaps a few behind him, but this is a bet that Richardson will show off at the combine and move up on some boards when teams realize his ceiling. This is a 6-6, nearly 330-pound athlete, with a powerful lower half and long arms. And while I don't know if I trust him to protect Drew Brees' blindside in Week 1, some technical work could turn him into a special player. Richardson's problem is that he's so physically gifted he can be a little over-aggressive and look to dominate a matchup when sometimes he just needs to absorb a pass-rusher with his blend of size, power and quick feet. The Saints aren't settled at left tackle and need to bring in a player with the upside to fill the role.

PLAYER CARD

28 Brandin Cooks * COLLEGE: Oregon St. AGE: 21 HT: 5-10 WT: 186 POS: WR

Analysis: I had Cooks going to Carolina in the first mock, and don't see (or hear) a reason to change at this point. The need at wide receiver is obvious, and you can help a young QB not just by providing a huge target who doesn't always need to get open to be effective but by bringing in a player who specializes in getting open all of the time. Cooks separates easily with change-of-direction explosiveness and he's a reliable hands-catcher.

PLAYER CARD

29 Jace Amaro * COLLEGE: Texas Tech AGE: 21 HT: 6-5 WT: 260 POS: TE

Analysis: No change here, but I'll put in a backup plan. I do wonder if Amaro will drop this far. He's a special player with his blend of size, speed and pass-catching ability and he could be gone before this spot. If that's the case, I think another good tight end option could be Troy Niklas of Notre Dame, who has many of the same pass-catching attributes as Amaro and Ebron but is actually more proven as a blocker. Call it Gronk insurance.

PLAYER CARD

30 Jarvis Landry * COLLEGE: LSU AGE: 21 HT: 6-1 WT: 195 POS: WR

Analysis: Knowing how Jim Harbaugh has raved about the pass-catching ability of Michael Crabtree, I think the coach will like what he sees of Landry when he rolls the tape. It's not Harbaugh's final call to make, but what they'd get in Landry is a really strong hands-catcher who is fluid in and out of his breaks and doesn't care about making catches in traffic. Landry is a competitor, and isn't afraid to throw a block. He's done a good job of building on the considerable base of talent he flashed coming out of high school.

PLAYER CARD

31 Bradley Roby * COLLEGE: Ohio St. AGE: 21 HT: 5-11 WT: 192 POS: CB

Analysis: It wasn't their undoing in the Super Bowl -- that would be Seattle's defense -- but the Broncos need to add talent and speed in particular to their defensive backfield. In terms of raw speed, you won't do much better than Roby in this draft, and he's physical despite being slightly less than ideally sized. Roby is a quick-twitch athlete with fluid hips, can press or play off and can recover on any separation to make plays on the ball. Denver needs help, even with Chris Harris coming back.

PLAYER CARD

32 Allen Robinson * COLLEGE: Penn St. AGE: 21 HT: 6-3 WT: 210 POS: WR

Analysis: The expectation is that Sidney Rice won't be back, and John Schneider and Co. also will have to decide what Golden Tate is worth, knowing they have a few other big checks to cut in the coming year-plus. So while guys like Jermaine Kearse have developed well here, I think adding size and starting potential at wide receiver is a pretty reasonable option. Robinson provides that, with an ability to make contested catches and a sneaky level of speed to win over the top or with the ball in his hands. Offensive line is obviously a possible play here, too. The Seahawks don't want to have to live on Russell Wilson's remarkable ability to escape forever.

PLAYER CARD

SPONSORED HEADLINES

Adult Escort Service Receives Gulf Settlement Award in Wake of Oil Spill (The State of the Gulf)

Finance student quits job for her passion in film (Education Post)

Scientists Who Claims To Have Proof About The Existence Of God (ViewMixed)

Viral Video: Texas sportscaster Dale Hansen, on Michael Sam being gay (NJ.com)

[what's this?]

COMMENTS

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more

'14 NFL DRAFT ON ESPN.COM

Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, Insider experts and NFL Nation have the '14 NFL draft covered.

First-round draft order: Texans to Seahawks

2014 NFL combine invitees

2014 NFL combine schedule

Notable pro day workouts

Ready to go: 2014 draft declarations

Kiper: 2014 NFL Mock Draft 2.0

NEWS

MORE +

Survey: NFLers would accept gay teammate

Ravens, Suggs agree to four-year extension

Manziel: Wilson paving the way for short QBs

Incognito tweets again, apologizes to Martin

Ravens' Rice arrested after casino altercation

Newton says he won't hold out for extension

Sando: Trouble for Dallas, four other teams

NFL VIDEO

MORE

03:39

Newton Says He Won't Hold Out For Extension

Mark Schlereth discusses Panthers QB Cam Newton's comments that he will not hold out for a contract extension and what he expects from Newton in the future.

03:32

Manziel Praises Seahawks QB Wilson

Mark Schlereth compares QB Johnny Manziel's size and athleticism to Seahawks QB Russell Wilson in light of Manziel's recent praise of Wilson.

03:53

NFL Players Would Accept Gay Teammate

Mark Brunell reacts to ESPN.com's NFL Nation and ESPN The Magazine's anonymous survey of NFL players, which asked four true-false questions about their thoughts on having a gay teammate. Brunell also discusses the biggest challenge facing Michael Sam.

ESPN MOBILE HOMEESPN.COM ABC NEWS ESPN ALERTS HELP / FEEDBACK SEARCHSITE MAP JOBS AT ESPN TERMS OF USEINTEREST-BASED ADSPRIVACY POLICY/YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTSEN ESPAÑOL Andrew SIGN OUT

They didn't take Vince Young. McNair loves Clowney.

Clowney is a rare athlete who decides when he wants to play. This is not a good quality for an NFL defender to have.  And ultimately i think this will drop his stock out of the 1 overall pick. If Clowney played the game like Lawrence Taylor or Ray Lewis he'd be worth the pick. 

Clowney is a rare athlete who decides when he wants to play. This is not a good quality for an NFL defender to have.  And ultimately i think this will drop his stock out of the 1 overall pick. If Clowney played the game like Lawrence Taylor or Ray Lewis he'd be worth the pick. 

Julius Peppers, Jevon Kearse and Mario Williams all had those same labels on them.  I wasn't old enough to follow college football during LTs day, but I'm sure somewhere there was a scout questioning his desire or attitude.  I'd rather take the sure thing in Clowney.

People said the exact same stuff about Mario's motor.

Julius Peppers, Jevon Kearse and Mario Williams all had those same labels on them.  I wasn't old enough to follow college football during LTs day, but I'm sure somewhere there was a scout questioning his desire or attitude.  I'd rather take the sure thing in Clowney.

People said the exact same stuff about Mario's motor.

Mario was the only one who went 1 and it's somewhat questionable that he was worth the pick. He didn't make it to a 2nd contract with the Texans. Let's be honest if the team really wanted a Clowney type they could have just paid Mario.

Julius Peppers and Kearse did not go 1. These guys get sacks but they don't get them in big spots.

JJ Watt is the type of player who plays with a busted nose and blood running all over the place. Clowney is the type of guy who tells the coach he has a phantom injury and sits out the game. 

almost every year it's a QB the question this year is which one. 

Mario was the only one who went 1 and it's somewhat questionable that he was worth the pick. He didn't make it to a 2nd contract with the Texans. Let's be honest if the team really wanted a Clowney type they could have just paid Mario.

Julius Peppers and Kearse did not go 1. These guys get sacks but they don't get them in big spots.

JJ Watt is the type of player who plays with a busted nose and blood running all over the place. Clowney is the type of guy who tells the coach he has a phantom injury and sits out the game.

almost every year it's a QB the question this year is which one.

There are three different quarterbacks people are trying to guess ahead of Clowney. If that guy were out there you would know who he was. Realistically I don't see how Clowney isn't on top of everybody's board or how a guy who's on top of everybody's board doesn't go 1.

There are three different quarterbacks people are trying to guess ahead of Clowney. If that guy were out there you would know who he was. Realistically I don't see how Clowney isn't on top of everybody's board or how a guy who's on top of everybody's board doesn't go 1.

I think the masses are trying to project Bortles as the guy who grabs that spot based on how he'll measure out, but the thing is guys like Flacco and Cutler worked out as well as anyone and that didn't bump those guys into even the top ten. This is just an odd draft.

Ok, here's $500 I'm putting down now. That Bridgewater will have the best career of any QB in this draft class. 

I don't even get how the **** these other guys got injected into the conversation. Not that the NFL and the media it controls aren't perfectly fine with feeding bullsh*t and misinformation to the public, but...really? Blake Bortles? I'm supposed to buy that sh*t? 

I don't even get how the **** these other guys got injected into the conversation. Not that the NFL and the media it controls aren't perfectly fine with feeding bullsh*t and misinformation to the public. 

not to justify but to explain it, Bortles beat Bridgewater h2h. Bridgewater is also less marketable than Johnny Football. I personally think he's great but the draft is not about what we want its about what 31 billionaires and the city of GB wisconsin wants.

Realistically he probably won't go 1, I think manziel statement locked up his #1 spot.

totally agree. i like manziel too but bridgewater is legit. the way he played against florida two years ago in the sugar bowl proved how he can compete against a top defense.

Agreeded but the best supporting cast will be houston. They have backs, a line, defense. Coaches and a great city. Plus a weak division minus the colts.

Ok, here's $500 I'm putting down now. That Bridgewater will have the best career of any QB in this draft class.

I believe a qb success ties into his gm & hc.

if he makes it to houston then yes, but I don't trust the FO's in jacksonville or cleveland, if the texans pass I hope he drops to tampa at lease for his sake.

I think the QB who gets picked by Houston will be far better off than many of these other teams.   Houston was "a couple of players" away from a super bowl team and all hell broke lose last year.  Schaub sucked, the team kind of gave up and pointed fingers, injuries, their HC was hospitalized and so on.     You never know, but Teddy or Johnny at Houston should have a far better experience than Teddy or Johnny going to Jacksonville.   

The scary part for Houston is that they've been here before.  They could have picked Vince Young or Reggie Bush or Matt Leinart or Jay Cutler and so on. They picked Mario Williams.   They made the right pick on paper, but in reality,  Mario is a very good player, he's not a game changer and he's not even on the team anymore.  And most people have no clue who the guy is at this point.   I think Clownery is far better than Mario, but who knows about his attitude.  He already took off most of the college season that just past for various reasons.  What happens in the NFL if the team stinks and he isn't playing for a contract?   Some players have good work ethic, some don't and sometimes you really don't teach or learn that in life, it's just a part of you.   

The other aspect is nobody really gives a crap about Houston.  They've pretty much been a non factor for years.  They've never really had that "star" player everybody knows.   They already have some dominant defensive players. They already had Mario Williams.   Most people couldn't tell you who those guys are or were.    Johnny would put that team on the map, win or lose.   And I bet the owner looks at this as well.   You have a team in the Texans who really haven't had an identity since they came into the league.  Schaub has been a nice story, but nobody cares about that guy.   JJ Watts is dominant, but again, people don't fawn over him like they do other players, especially QBs.      If it came down to Teddy or Johnny,  Teddy seems to be the better all around QB, but Johnny has that "other" factor and in a division where they have to compete with Andrew Luck,  it could mean something.

And Imagine if the Jags snag one of these QBs.  Suddenly for the next few years you have a division where Luck, Teddy, & Johnny are being talked about and fawned over by ESPN.    We see what they do with Kapernick and Wilson as it is.     It would be interesting.   It would be a disaster if the Texans take Clowney who winds up being just as good as Mario, but Teddy & Johnny wind up being legit NFL QBs.

I think the QB who gets picked by Houston will be far better off than many of these other teams. Houston was "a couple of players" away from a super bowl team and all hell broke lose last year. Schaub sucked, the team kind of gave up and pointed fingers, injuries, their HC was hospitalized and so on. You never know, but Teddy or Johnny at Houston should have a far better experience than Teddy or Johnny going to Jacksonville.

The scary part for Houston is that they've been here before. They could have picked Vince Young or Reggie Bush or Matt Leinart or Jay Cutler and so on. They picked Mario Williams. They made the right pick on paper, but in reality, Mario is a very good player, he's not a game changer and he's not even on the team anymore. And most people have no clue who the guy is at this point. I think Clownery is far better than Mario, but who knows about his attitude. He already took off most of the college season that just past for various reasons. What happens in the NFL if the team stinks and he isn't playing for a contract? Some players have good work ethic, some don't and sometimes you really don't teach or learn that in life, it's just a part of you.

The other aspect is nobody really gives a crap about Houston. They've pretty much been a non factor for years. They've never really had that "star" player everybody knows. They already have some dominant defensive players. They already had Mario Williams. Most people couldn't tell you who those guys are or were. Johnny would put that team on the map, win or lose. And I bet the owner looks at this as well. You have a team in the Texans who really haven't had an identity since they came into the league. Schaub has been a nice story, but nobody cares about that guy. JJ Watts is dominant, but again, people don't fawn over him like they do other players, especially QBs. If it came down to Teddy or Johnny, Teddy seems to be the better all around QB, but Johnny has that "other" factor and in a division where they have to compete with Andrew Luck, it could mean something.

And Imagine if the Jags snag one of these QBs. Suddenly for the next few years you have a division where Luck, Teddy, & Johnny are being talked about and fawned over by ESPN. We see what they do with Kapernick and Wilson as it is. It would be interesting. It would be a disaster if the Texans take Clowney who winds up being just as good as Mario, but Teddy & Johnny wind up being legit NFL QBs.

my thoughts exactly jacksonville needs a clowny, I mean who's on their defense?

When was the last jacksonville defender present at a pro bowl? Honestly I would trade back with the browns if I were them and could get both of those 1st rounders.

Archived