Rex Ryan Praises Inept GM John Idzik

flgreen

Rex Ryan, in futile attempt to save job with NY Jets, praises inept GM John Idzik

Ryan, one of the best defensive minds in the game, will be gone in 11 weeks barring a gift from the football gods as the Jets season has become a barren wasteland compliments of inept roster-building by Idzik, whose two-year record as GM is somewhere between terrible and brutal.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Monday, October 13, 2014, 2:47 PM

Updated: Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 1:40 AM
  • A
  •  
  • A
  •  
  • A

SHARE THIS URL
manishweb14s-1-web.jpgHOWARD SIMMONS/NEW YORK DAILY NEWSJohn Idzik's (l.) ineptness will end up costing Rex Ryan (r.) his job.

Rex Ryan's desperation has officially sunk to embarrassing levels in the middle of this mess created by the guy he’s foolishly protecting.

The Jets season has quickly become a barren wasteland compliments of inept roster-building by lost general manager John Idzik. Ryan, one of the best defensive minds in the game, will be gone in 11 weeks barring a gift from the football gods, but he continued to sell the idea that this GM has actually helped him this season.

“I don’t think it’s personnel,” Ryan said Monday when asked if his team just didn’t have the horses to slow down Peyton Manning 24 hours earlier.

Of course, it’s the personnel. It’s always been about the personnel. It always will be about the personnel as long as a guy without extensive personnel experience continues to shop for the groceries.

“He’s the 32nd-ranked NFL GM. And it’s not even close,” a league source told The News about Idzik. “The past two years = incompetence.”

Idzik’s two-year record is somewhere between terrible and brutal, but Ryan, still hoping to salvage his job, was in full-blown derriere-smooching mode on Monday. The Jets, heaped on the junk pile six weeks into the season, are going nowhere fast, but the head coach simply couldn’t resist doubling-down on his outrageous claim last year that Idzik’s first draft class deserved an “A-plus.”

“That’s about as good as it gets,” said a straight-faced Ryan, clearly suffering from sleep deprivation.

Ryan reviewed just about every player in that nightmarish draft class, including Dee Milliner (Achilles) and Brian Winters (ACL), who both suffered season-ending injuries on Sunday.

“Dee Milliner was going to be … is going to be an outstanding player,” Ryan said. “It’s just a matter of him staying healthy.”

nydailynews_cplogo.png?t=1413274500
Sports Talk: New York Jets lose to Denver Broncos
NY Daily News

16210917.jpg?t=1413274500

Milliner reportedly had five surgeries in college: a sports hernia repair, arthroscopic procedure on the right knee, a right tibia stress fracture repair and surgeries on each shoulder. Idzik made him his first draft choice with the No. 9 pick anyway. The cornerback missed much of the offseason as a rookie rehabbing his shoulder. He missed three games with a hamstring injury last season. He missed part of this past spring with another hamstring issue then suffered a high-ankle sprain in camp that forced him to miss the rest of the preseason and the season opener.

Milliner, who told The News in August that he was the best cornerback in the NFL, came back for one game, promptly got torched for an 80-yard touchdown and missed the next two games due to a quad strain. On Sunday, the team feared that he suffered a torn Achilles tendon during a non-contact injury rushing a field goal attempt.

So, a player with a history of injuries in college was saddled with injuries in the NFL before suffering a season-ending injury on Sunday.

Great scouting job by the GM.

Ryan called Sheldon Richardson a “Pro Bowl player,” and although he’s not technically correct, it’s fair to say that Idzik got that pick right. However, he traded away perennial Pro Bowl cornerback Darrelle Revis to acquire that pick. Unless you’ve been stranded on an island with a deflated volleyball for the past couple years, you know the Jets sort of have a cornerback quandary.

Ryan’s Monday morning comedy routine kicked into high gear when he got to Geno Smith, the second-round quarterback who ranks near or at the bottom of nearly every meaningful statistical category. “You’ve got Geno Smith, a starting quarterback in this league that I think has upside,” Ryan said amazingly without breaking a smile. “So I think that’s a great pick.”

With great picks like that, who needs busts?

The coach said something about Winters, who has allowed a league-high 12 quarterback hurries, according to Pro Football Focus, fifth-rounder Oday Aboushi and seventh-rounder Tommy Bohanon, but it was impossible to take him seriously by that point.

new-york-jets.jpgHOWARD SIMMONS/NEW YORK DAILY NEWSRex Ryan acts like a team player and defends the awful job John Idzik has done as Jets GM.

Ryan’s admission that “this year’s class hasn’t had the pop that last year’s had” was bizarre due to the fact that Richardson is the only member of the first class to actually make a real difference. It’s too early to fairly judge S Calvin Pryor and TE Jace Amaro, the headliners of the 2014 class, but there haven’t been any game-changers among the 12 draft picks yet. Only five of the 12 are on the 53-man roster.

Idzik, who had extremely minimal input picking players with the Seahawks, has made it clear that the draft will be a “lifeline” for the organization. Woody Johnson backed his GM recently by claiming that the Jets will only sign an “occasional” free agent to supplement the draft-based philosophy. So, Idzik left more than $21 million in the reserve to spend for his next coach in 2015.

Ryan’s reward for squeezing eight wins out of a talent-deprived roster last year: A de facto one-year extension to make chicken salad out of less-than-desirable ingredients in 2014.

“There’s no way that I would have thought that we would have the record we have right now at the beginning of the year,” Ryan said.

He knew. He always knew. He was hoping to find the magic again, but it’s gone.

Now, a proud man is clinging to the fading hope that placating the guy who was never fully invested in helping him will save his job.

It won’t.

Mehta doing his damnedest to save Wrecks' job…he succeeded last season, hopefully he won't go 2-for-2.

Every single media person and scout in the entire world says Idzik has done a terrible job. Do you honestly think this is a good roster? Not great - but good?

Every single media person and scout in the entire world says Idzik has done a terrible job. Do you honestly think this is a good roster? Not great - but good?

Who said anything about Idzik? Idzik has proven himself to be God-awful, but I don't see what that has to do with Mehta's desperate attempt to save Rex's job, as he did with success after last season (remember the twitter poll?). Rex is an awful coach in his own right, regardless of Idzik's awfulness as a GM.

A more accurate headline that didn't have an underlying agenda would read something like, "Inept coach praises inept GM."

I love how they continue to call the buffoon "one of the best defensive minds in the game"

Those type of head coaches find way to win games. Rex doesnt.

Exactly. The NY sports media loves Rex because he's a colorful personality who generates buzz. Idzik is as interesting as watching wallpaper dry, and he basically treats the NY sports media like mushrooms (feed 'em sh*t and keep 'em in the dark), so they loathe him and want to see him fired ASAP (which is really the only redeeming quality he's shown thus far, that he irritates these pricks so much). 

Who said anything about Idzik? Idzik has proven himself to be God-awful, but I don't see what that has to do with Mehta's desperate attempt to save Rex's job, as he did with success after last season (remember the twitter poll?). Rex is an awful coach in his own right, regardless of Idzik's awfulness as a GM.

A more accurate headline that didn't have an underlying agenda would read something like, "Inept coach praises inept GM."

rex is excellent at some things and bad at others. that places him at no less than average,imo. the jets have and could do a lot worse at head coach. to place rex's name next to john idziks name in the same column of ineptitude is almost criminal. ignorant at the very least. its a shame that idzik will stay and rex will go. hopefully, the next year, idzik will find a nice pencil pushing job again

rex is excellent at some things and bad at others. that places him at no less than average,imo. the jets have and could do a lot worse at head coach. to place rex's name next to john idziks name in the same column of ineptitude is almost criminal. ignorant at the very least. its a shame that idzik will stay and rex will go. hopefully, the next year, idzik will find a nice pencil pushing job again

Rex is a clueless buffoon who is, always has been, and always will be, in over his head as a HC. He's nothing more than a glorified DC, and proof that Ozzie Newsome knew what he was doing when he passed Rex over for a little known Eagles special teams coach. He's also the reason the Jets are viewed as a 'circus,' and that perception will not change until he's gone. 

Exactly. The NY sports media loves Rex because he's a colorful personality who generates buzz. Idzik is as interesting as watching wallpaper dry, and he basically treats the NY sports media like mushrooms (feed 'em sh*t and keep 'em in the dark), so they loathe him and want to see him fired ASAP (which is really the only redeeming quality he's shown thus far, that he irritates these pricks so much). 

Did Idzik do a good job putting this team together? 

Did Idzik do a good job putting this team together? 

Of course not, but then again it would've been dumb to piss away money on FA's as if we were in a 'win-now' situation to begin with. We're clearly in the process of purging the roster of bad contracts and rebuilding. Having said that, in that case, the FA signings we did make (e.g. CJ, Vick) were a pointless waste of cap room that could've been rolled over, and he's also shown himself to be awful at drafting thus far (Sheldon aside).

You'll get no argument from me that Idzik doesn't like a complete failure as a GM (again, we couldn't give the job away to anyone better as long as we insisted they keep Rex on). My gripe with the article isn't the notion that Idzik's incompetent, it's the attempt to paint Rex as a poor victim in an attempt to save his job.

Of course not, but then again it would've been dumb to piss away money on FA's as if we were in a 'win-now' situation to begin with. We're clearly in the process of purging the roster of bad contracts and rebuilding. Having said that, in that case, the FA signings we did make (e.g. CJ, Vick) were a pointless waste of cap room that could've been rolled over, and he's also shown himself to be awful at drafting thus far (Sheldon aside).

You'll get no argument from me that Idzik doesn't like a complete failure as a GM (again, we couldn't give the job away to anyone better as long as we insisted they keep Rex on). My gripe with the article isn't the notion that Idzik's incompetent, it's the attempt to paint Rex as a poor victim in an attempt to save his job.

The whole thing needs to be blown up. Dan Quinn or Bevell with Idzik as a GM next year is a joke.

The whole thing needs to be blown up. Dan Quinn or Bevell with Idzik as a GM next year is a joke.

I'm firmly in the camp that believes our best option at this point is to hand the entire operation over to Harbaugh. Give him Parcells level control and a blank check if that's what it takes to bring him here.

purging the roster of the really bad contracts took all of 1 day to cut holmes,sanchez,and cromartie. freed up like 40  million. I just don't see where it is a 2 year process. and when does adding free agents to fill major holes on the team "pissing away money" and what is with all this "win now crap". I have been hearing this since day 1 this year. 50 mil in cap space and 20 draft picks should have put a large dent in this "rebuild". say what you want about rex and it appears he has worn out his welcome in new York, but I commend him for getting 8 wins out of the train wreck last year, and stay mostly competitive in losses this year. this roster is pure trash,with a few players aside. pete caroll, belichek, and any other coach you could name is 1-5 with this roster

Which scouts?

Every journalist has quoted them, not just local ones. And if you don't believe those quotes, all you need to do is see how quickly other teams pounced on his draft picks when they were cut. NFL teams stay away from Idziks cuts like they have ebola.

I'm firmly in the camp that believes our best option at this point is to hand the entire operation over to Harbaugh. Give him Parcells level control and a blank check if that's what it takes to bring him here.

I agree a million percent. Bevell or Quinn + Idzik = 5-11 next year.

Every journalist has quoted them, not just local ones. And if you don't believe those quotes, all you need to do is see how quickly other teams pounced on his draft picks when they were cut. NFL teams stay away from Idziks cuts like they have ebola.

You know I read all the godforsaken Jets coverage, and I haven't seen one actual scout quoted saying Idzik has done a bad job. The only quotes I've seen ripping Idzik are from Mehta's sources within the Jets organization, which would obviously be compromised because a lot of those sources are about to be unemployed along with Rex.

You know I read all the godforsaken Jets coverage, and I haven't seen one actual scout quoted saying Idzik has done a bad job. The only quotes I've seen ripping Idzik are from Mehta's sources within the Jets organization, which would obviously be compromised because a lot of those sources are about to be unemployed along with Rex.

Are you saying that this is a roster Bevell or Quinn could win with?

The press is turning Rex into quite the martyr. 

Poor, poor Rex... he's not being given a fair shot by Idzik, nevermind the fact that Rex got a "clean slate" the first time he should have been fired with the previous GM he managed to throw under the bus.

Give me a ******* break with all the politics around this nonsense.

Archived