Jets prefer Powell over Spiller

DaBallhawk

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Per indicates that it happened more than once. It never even happened once.

In fact, it never happened period. Jones rushed for over 1300 yards in 08, scored 15 TDs. A year later he rushed for over 1400 yards, scoring 14 TDs. If you don't miss that you need to get your head examined. Unless of course your goal is to lose games. In which case you're gonna hope for Spiller type numbers. 300 yards, 1 touchdown, 3 yards per carry. Special talent. He's so fast. Whooo.

In fact, it never happened period. Jones rushed for over 1300 yards in 08, scored 15 TDs. A year later he rushed for over 1400 yards, scoring 14 TDs. If you don't miss that you need to get your head examined. Unless of course your goal is to lose games. In which case you're gonna hope for Spiller type numbers. 300 yards, 1 touchdown, 3 yards per carry. Special talent. He's so fast. Whooo.

Yeah, I absolutely miss a guy that consistently ran for under the team average. I'm going to float a balloon with a note attached to it and hope God hears my prayer.

The more news we get, the more I fall in love with our new front office & coaching staff. :cloud9:

This makes me laugh. We really can't find an upgrade, though I continue to hear about all of the upgrades we could find with some guy off the street. He's a nice player, but seriously, we have to be able to find a better running back. 

Ewwwww, why is it one or another??? Sign them both. Do we have cap money limitations? I love Powell, but there is no excuse not to have both. That being said, Ivory, Powell and Duke Johnson is sexy too.

Apparently we can't have both Spiller and Powell because the fans don't approve. Though if Powell isn't the 2nd string I would let him go simply to give him opportunity to start. That's only if though..

Apparently we can't have both Spiller and Powell because the fans don't approve. Though if Powell isn't the 2nd string I would let him go simply to give him opportunity to start. That's only if though..

That's a very classy thing to say. I agree it is better for him to go elsewhere if he will be 3rd string, he's too good for that. But selfishly I'd like to have him here regardless. Just in case of injuries, especially with Spillers record.

Remember what Antonio Allen said about playing against Spiller in college. Hit him hard once and his done for the game Dude, hates contact.. In other words, he is a pusssy!! And thats just how the Jets played him.

lol, you think draft position equals "elite"

lol, you can't tell by watching Spiller that he's not elite in any way

lol, you want to be taken seriously

Elite TALENT. I've never said Spiller was an elite NFL RB, though he sure looked like it a mere two years ago. I would not expect him to recapture that form if he came here, but I would expect him to be an explosive change of pace back, something JAG Bilal Powell is not.

Has nothing to do with whether the fans approve, it just is reality. You act like it's up to us. He is a free agent an he'll most likely get some offers where he'll have an opportunity to compete for a starting job. At the very least he'll be very involved as a #2 back for whatever team he signs with. So why would he stick around to once again be the third back here and barely get any touches? He's been playing that game for years now, never complained even though last year he had every reason to do so. He'll do whatever is best for him, as he should.

Elite TALENT. I've never said Spiller was an elite NFL RB, though he sure looked like it a mere two years ago. I would not expect him to recapture that form if he came here, but I would expect him to be an explosive change of pace back, something JAG Bilal Powell is not.

I've already had this conversation about elite. Decide for yourself how foolish you want to look and get back to me.

I contend that I disagree with the lot of un imaginative Jet fans that want to reassemble the Bills offense because it gives them warm and fuzzy expectations to glom onto. I'd rather we aim higher.

Elite talent? Like Curtis Martin when he came out? And yes, Spiller is more explosive than Powell. He's also more explosive than Peterson, Lynch, Bell, Murray and the list goes on. Yet the Bills don't want him. Yet he's begging openly for a job each day. You'll be the first one to kiss Powell's ass if he goes out and has a great year so just be quiet already. You don't understand anything about the RB position and how absolutely meaningless this elite talent, 40 yard dash horsesh*t is.

Elite talent? Like Curtis Martin when he came out? And yes, Spiller is more explosive than Powell. He's also more explosive than Peterson, Lynch, Bell, Murray and the list goes on. Yet the Bills don't want him. Yet he's begging openly for a job each day. You'll be the first one to kiss Powell's ass if he goes out and has a great year so just be quiet already. You don't understand anything about the RB position and how absolutely meaningless this elite talent, 40 yard dash horsesh*t is.

I understand 6 yards a carry two seasons ago.

I've already had this conversation about elite. Decide for yourself how foolish you want to look and get back to me.

I contend that I disagree with the lot of un imaginative Jet fans that want to reassemble the Bills offense because it gives them warm and fuzzy expectations to glom onto. I'd rather we aim higher.

Go ahead and make me look foolish, then.

Because Stevie Johnson and Spiller have the same pedigree, right? What's unimaginative is that you can't tell the difference between the players. It's just "Played for the Bills. NOT IMAGINATIVE ENOUGH FOR ME!". I'd be banging the drum for Spiller whether Gailey was the OC or not. Talent is not his issue. Being a pussy is his issue. That's why he will be affordable and a good signing.

Go ahead and make me look foolish, then.

Because Stevie Johnson and Spiller have the same pedigree, right? What's unimaginative is that you can't tell the difference between the players. It's just "Played for the Bills. NOT IMAGINATIVE ENOUGH FOR ME!". I'd be banging the drum for Spiller whether Gailey was the OC or not. Talent is not his issue. Being a pussy is his issue. That's why he will be affordable and a good signing.

Done.

Then, the Jets are idiots. Powell is JAG. Spiller was elite under Gailey in 2012 and surely would not cost but around the same thing Chris Johnson did.

You can get a Spiller equivalent pretty easily in the draft at a much lower price and use FA for OLB, Oline and secondary.

You can get a Spiller equivalent pretty easily in the draft at a much lower price and use FA for OLB, Oline and secondary.

I'm thinking Spiller will cost about $3 million. Signing him prevents the Jets from nothing. If the price ends up much more than that, then I'd pass.

I'm thinking Spiller will cost about $3 million. Signing him prevents the Jets from nothing. If the price ends up much more than that, then I'd pass.

You can get the equivalent or better for less in the draft. RBs don't last long and are easy to acquire.  Great pass rushers are like finding needles in haystacks so if a good one is available in FA, that's where you go as well as the draft.  

But my main concern about Spiller is his durability.  He's injured a lot and even though he plays a lot while injured, it definitely impairs his performance.  Pass.  Draft a back without such known problems and use FA smartly by looking to fill our biggest needs at CB, OLB, S, OL.  Draft a back, WR, OLB and and use the rest of the picks to supplement the roster deficiencies

They're both scrubs. If Spiller or Powell ask for more than $2 mil next year no way. Need to use cap room to sign 2 Cb's, free safety, guard, WR (2 if we cut Harvin), ILB, Qb and tight end.

Just draft Tyler Vargas in the 7th. Dude dominated the senior bowl and is going to drop because he played Ivy League.

Spiller turned down 4.5 million dollars from the Bills prior to the Philly trade.  He wants 5+ so Powell may be the better option.

If true, he's going to quickly find out he made a mistake. Would be stunned if he gets that on the open market.

Archived