2015 Mets thread!

adb280z

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Turning point for that game was the 8th. Not scoring with runners on against Kershaw is fine, it's Kershaw and that's what he does. But we got into their bullpen and still couldn't capitalize on Jansen putting men on.

It's a tough call putting this on any one specific thing. The Mets' pitching wasn't bad, and a pitcher who has had one of the finest 5-year stretches in the history of the game was on. I guess you can argue to have started Conforto over Lagares, but I don't think playing Conforto really would have mattered and Collins brought him in anyways as soon as Kershaw was off the mound. You're basically arguing that Conforto would have hit two solo HRs, because even if he got on base we probably wouldn't have moved him anyways, we couldn't move anyone on Kershaw all night.

End of the day, the Mets got outpitched today. Sometimes in sports you just have to tip your cap to the other team and that's that.

Turning point for that game was the 8th. Not scoring with runners on against Kershaw is fine, it's Kershaw and that's what he does. But we got into their bullpen and still couldn't capitalize on Jansen putting men on.

It's a tough call putting this on any one specific thing. The Mets' pitching wasn't bad, and a pitcher who has had one of the finest 5-year stretches in the history of the game was on. I guess you can argue to have started Conforto over Lagares, but I don't think playing Conforto really would have mattered and Collins brought him in anyways as soon as Kershaw was off the mound. You're basically arguing that Conforto would have hit two solo HRs, because even if he got on base we probably wouldn't have moved him anyways, we couldn't move anyone on Kershaw all night.

End of the day, the Mets got outpitched today. Sometimes in sports you just have to tip your cap to the other team and that's that.

the turning point was when Lagares didn't hustle after that blooper imo. Also, now we have to go face Greinke in LA. IF we don't win, not having started DeGrom last night in place of a rookie will go down as one of the all time worst decisions in team history. And yes, Conforto definitely should have started, we needed every bat we had available. This isn't armchair managing this is common sense....with the series on the line start your ace at home, have your best bats in the lineup

Chris Hatcher has been impressive for them.  I know no one cares but he was a catcher at UNCW (later drafted in the 5th round by the Marlins), so I got to see him play for 3 years here.  First player since the 1930's to debut in the majors as a catcher then later come back as a pitcher.  A very talented dude.

the turning point was when Lagares didn't hustle after that blooper imo. Also, now we have to go face Greinke in LA. IF we don't win, not having started DeGrom last night in place of a rookie will go down as one of the all time worst decisions in team history. And yes, Conforto definitely should have started, we needed every bat we had available. This isn't armchair managing this is common sense....with the series on the line start your ace at home, have your best bats in the lineup

We've been rolling with a 6-man rotation for a solid portion of the season.  Throwing deGrom on 3 days rest wasn't an option. 

What would deGrom have done last night?  Kershaw was dealing and Mets couldnt touch him.  It was only a matter of time before the best pitcher in baseball showed up big in the playoffs just unfortunate for the Mets it happened on a game that they were looking to close out a series.  I'll disagree its an all time worst decision.  No where near it.  Matz pitched fine.  A little run support would have helped.  Wright and Duda are worthless right now (granted I know Wright had the big RBI's game 1) but has he connected since?  What a huge let down he's been.  Him and Duda are an automatic outs right now. Both look terrible at the plate. 

The difference in the game was Lagares loafing on the one blooper and Flores not covering on the steal during the Kendrick hit up the middle.  It was all in the same inning.  That was it, game over the way Kershaw was pitching.  If Flores was covering on the steal, it would have been a routine double play ball and no runs are scored on that cheesy little broken bat single by Gonzo never happens.

Conforto definitely should have started.  No doubt in my mind there.  You need all the bats you can get vs. Kershaw and that swing is too sweet to keep out of the line up.  Lefties be damned.  

Harvey had a bad 3-run inning.  Matz had a bad 3-run inning.  Yet Harvey is a hero and starting Matz was the worst decision ever?  Come on.  Sometimes you just lose to a Cy Young winner and have to move on to the next game.  This is one of those times.

Yep.  Now you just have to hope your Ace can go on the road and pitch a shut out while hopefully the bats can squeak out a run or 2.

This game will be won 1-0. Or 2-1.  No doubt in my mind it will be an epic pitching duel.

Final score:  10-8.  Book it.

Probably.  I'm the ultimate jinx.  I got wayyy too excited for last nights game.  I think I even said to someone at one during the day "Kershaw chokes in the postseason".

It's my fault.  I take full responsibility. 

We've been rolling with a 6-man rotation for a solid portion of the season.  Throwing deGrom on 3 days rest wasn't an option. 

What would deGrom have done last night?  Kershaw was dealing and Mets couldnt touch him.  It was only a matter of time before the best pitcher in baseball showed up big in the playoffs just unfortunate for the Mets it happened on a game that they were looking to close out a series.  I'll disagree its an all time worst decision.  No where near it.  Matz pitched fine.  A little run support would have helped.  Wright and Duda are worthless right now (granted I know Wright had the big RBI's game 1) but has he connected since?  What a huge let down he's been.  Him and Duda are an automatic outs right now. Both look terrible at the plate. 

The difference in the game was Lagares loafing on the one blooper and Flores not covering on the steal during the Kendrick hit up the middle.  It was all in the same inning.  That was it, game over the way Kershaw was pitching.  If Flores was covering on the steal, it would have been a routine double play ball and no runs are scored on that cheesy little broken bat single by Gonzo never happens.

Conforto definitely should have started.  No doubt in my mind there.  You need all the bats you can get vs. Kershaw and that swing is too sweet to keep out of the line up.  Lefties be damned.  

Matz threw above average but he was giving up enough hits where, it was more luck than anything that other runs had not scored. You definitely start your ace at home to close out the series as a matter of principal. It may not be the WORST of all time but it was pretty stupid.

I'm surprised nobody brought up D'Arnaud's pitch selection.  There's no way Matz should've been throwing an offspeed pitch to Kershaw last night.  If Kershaw doesn't get on in that spot, it's a completely different game.  Same thing for Syndergaard walking Kike Hernandez in the 7th inning in Game 2.  In both cases, the guys were down 2-2 in the count and aren't the types to make you pay for throwing them a fastball near the plate.

Oh, AND! How about Collins warming up deGrom in the bullpen in the 5th? At first I thought he was just throwing a bullpen, but then at the end of the game, Collins eluded as to whether he was going to bring him in. Down 3-1. Guy's going to give me a heart attack.

They were warming DeGrom, in case they took a lead and needed an inning from him in order to protect a lead.

I actually like the thinking ahead. I am sure he would have been under a pitch limit, t6o ensure he could start Game 5.

Chris Hatcher has been impressive for them.  I know no one cares but he was a catcher at UNCW (later drafted in the 5th round by the Marlins), so I got to see him play for 3 years here.  First player since the 1930's to debut in the majors as a catcher then later come back as a pitcher.  A very talented dude.

Jansen was on in the 9th too with some nasty stuff. The Mets pitched a good game, the Dodgers pitched a better one. I'd love to complain about something but truth of the matter is we just got outplayed last night. 

I'm surprised nobody brought up D'Arnaud's pitch selection.  There's no way Matz should've been throwing an offspeed pitch to Kershaw last night.  If Kershaw doesn't get on in that spot, it's a completely different game.  Same thing for Syndergaard walking Kike Hernandez in the 7th inning in Game 2.  In both cases, the guys were down 2-2 in the count and aren't the types to make you pay for throwing them a fastball near the plate.

I think the concern was Matz was all over the place with his fastball last night. Looked like the ump was squeezing him a bit too.

They were warming DeGrom, in case they took a lead and needed an inning from him in order to protect a lead.

I actually like the thinking ahead. I am sure he would have been under a pitch limit, t6o ensure he could start Game 5.

I loved that move for if they tied it up. Go for the win. Why not? Kershaw had another couple innings in him tops, take the game into extra innings if needs be, but do everything you can to win it in Queens. And worst case scenario Thor pitches game 5 and he loves pitching in that park. 

This what the Dodgers are - you have to beat Kershaw and Greinke in a 5 game series facing them 4 times. Degrom is our number one guy so you go and ride him and hope he can outpitch Greinke

Yeah, the whole thing is odd. You have this sect of Mets fans who have declared the offense dead and are blaming Collins or whatever (my father included), and I just don't understand what the hell people were expecting. The Dodgers have this year's Cy Young winner and a guy who won 3 of the previous 4 Cy's. What exactly did you think was going to happen? Anyone who paid the least bit of attention to this baseball season knew this is what these games would be. The sh*tty part about it is that last night shouldn't have even happened because LA cheated their way into avoiding getting swept, but the good news is we can pitch too and deGrom and Thor both do well in LA.

I think if the Mets can work some counts early in game 5 we should win. Even if deGrom goes 6 or 7, Thor is well rested and Collins can go right to him. But the Mets desperately need Wright and Duda to wake up here. At the very least work some counts. Granderson can't do this on his own.

I think the concern was Matz was all over the place with his fastball last night. Looked like the ump was squeezing him a bit too.

He was squeezing him.  I thought the 1-2 pitch was strike 3 on the outside corner. 

Regardless, with 2 strikes and a guy that clearly isn't catching up to the fastball, you keep throwing it. 

He was squeezing him.  I thought the 1-2 pitch was strike 3 on the outside corner. 

Regardless, with 2 strikes and a guy that clearly isn't catching up to the fastball, you keep throwing it. 

How does Guccione get to keep calling this series? You've got the league flat out admitting he handed the Dodgers a win.

Harvey had a bad 3-run inning.  Matz had a bad 3-run inning.  Yet Harvey is a hero and starting Matz was the worst decision ever?  Come on.  Sometimes you just lose to a Cy Young winner and have to move on to the next game.  This is one of those times.

Exactly.  Would have been nice if they had secured home field down the stretch but beating them up over not beating Kershaw twice is insane.

Greinke is a tall order but I liked their approach of spitting on anything out of the strike zone in game two.

Alec, who is one of the two HOF tackles that Parcells passed on in the 1997 draft to acquire a treasure trove of talent including Dedric Ward, Terry Day, Leon Johnson, and a LB that they later let go as a UFA (to be replaced by Sam Cowart)?

They also drafted James Farrior, defensive player of the year.   For the Steelers....

Agree. Same for Thor losing Sanchez and walking him in the 7th inning game two. Young pitchers will make these mistakes until they get some more big game experience in them. 

Agree. Same for Thor losing Sanchez and walking him in the 7th inning game two. Young pitchers will make these mistakes until they get some more big game experience in them. 

Matz especially. Holy sh*t was he wound up last night. Guy had to walk off the mound and take deep breaths after the first pitch. Considering how amped he was I was surprised he pitched as well as he did.

Not that d'Arnaud is a 10-year vet, but I don't know how comfortable these kids are shaking him off in that spot.  He's got to shoulder some of the blame here.

Archived