Can We Stop Using PFF ...

KRL

As some kind of unmatched authority on players.  Below is all the proof you need.  How

anyone with a working set of eyes could come to this conclusion is beyond me:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/12/28/jets-landry-impresses/

Jets: Landry impresses

Mark Harrington | December 28, 2014

While the 2014 season hasn’t been one to remember for the New York Jets, there have been some notably strong performers in green. One such player is safety Dawan Landry, whose +11.0 overall grade ranks ninth among safeties.

Landry has been at his best in run defense, where his +5.4 grade is the eighth-best mark by any safety this season. Landry has 29 tackles and 12 solo stops against the run without missing a single tackle. He has been slightly less solid tackling in space, with three missed tackles in the passing game, even so his 27.7 Combined Tackling Efficiency is the second-best performance among safeties.

While his best work has come in run support, Landry has also enjoyed a solid season in coverage, a +4.0 coverage grade and allowing 0.44 Yards per Cover Snap are both respectable marks for a starting safety.

Landry enters free agency this offseason, and his play this season should be strong enough to ensure there is interest in his services, whether that’s in New York or further afield.

I use it for two reasons:

- No other alternative I'm aware of that gives that much info on every single player/play

- I use it as a guide...not gospel.  I've watched film on several players, drawn my own conclusions and checked PFF ratings after watching to see if what I saw matched what they say...so far, when a guy plays good or bad, PFF's ratings have been pretty much in line.  I used Skrine as an example earlier this week.  I watched him vs. Atl and he looked damn good.  Checked PFF ratings and they graded it as one of his best performances of the season.  Then watched him vs. Tennessee and he was atrocious.  Checked PFF ratings and IIRC it was his worst rated game. 

I'd love to use a site that does a better job than them so if you know of any please share.

People dislike Landry because he wasn't flashy and didn't cause turnovers which was frustrating.  However, he was solid all-around and rarely made mistakes.  You could do a lot worse at safety IMO.

As some kind of unmatched authority on players. Below is all the proof you need. How

While the 2014 season hasn’t been one to remember for the New York Jets, there have been some notably strong performers in green. One such player is safety Dawan Landry, whose +11.0 overall grade ranks ninth among safeties.

Landry has been at his best in run defense, where his +5.4 grade is the eighth-best mark by any safety this season. Landry has 29 tackles and 12 solo stops against the run without missing a single tackle. He has been slightly less solid tackling in space, with three missed tackles in the passing game, even so his 27.7 Combined Tackling Efficiency is the second-best performance among safeties.

While his best work has come in run support, Landry has also enjoyed a solid season in coverage, a +4.0 coverage grade and allowing 0.44 Yards per Cover Snap are both respectable marks for a starting safety.

Landry enters free agency this offseason, and his play this season should be strong enough to ensure there is interest in his services, whether that’s in New York or further afield.

Yes, PFF is stupid. No, their having one player arguably graded incorrectly isn't 'all the proof you need.'

Yes, PFF is stupid. No, their having one player arguably graded incorrectly isn't 'all the proof you need.'

One player? No, he gave you one extreme example of why PFF is a bunch of horsesh*t. And yes, one player is enough. It'd be no different if they had Geno Smith as the best QB in the last 2-3 years. Or if Watt was the worst defensive player in the league. These idiots actually had Antoine Winfield (backup corner with the Vikings) ahead of Revis when he was in his prime with us before we traded him. If that's not enough proof to you I don't know what is. You always know what kind of person you're arguing with if they bring up PFF. You might as well talk to a shoe, the football knowledge is about the same. The only thing PFF is good for is looking over some of the detailed stats they have, like snaps, drops, where guys line up and so on. Obvious sh*t that anybody can see with their own eyes but are too lazy to do so (it's pretty much impossible unless you spend all day watching film and writing this crap down). In other words: Just Facts. That's it. Not this fictional grading bullsh*t from a couple fantasy football geeks that have never played the game, which is based on nothing except assumption. It's like getting expert advice from a shoe salesman on how to train for the olympics.

One player? No, he gave you one extreme example of why PFF is a bunch of horsesh*t. And yes, one player is enough. It'd be no different if they had Geno Smith as the best QB in the last 2-3 years. Or if Watt was the worst defensive player in the league. These idiots actually had Antoine Winfield (backup corner with the Vikings) ahead of Revis when he was in his prime with us before we traded him. If that's not enough proof to you I don't know what is. You always know what kind of person you're arguing with if they bring up PFF. You might as well talk to a shoe, the football knowledge is about the same. The only thing PFF is good for is looking over some of the detailed stats they have, like snaps, drops, where guys line up and so on. Obvious sh*t that anybody can see with their own eyes but are too lazy to do so (it's pretty much impossible unless you spend all day watching film and writing this crap down). In other words: Just Facts. That's it. Not this fictional grading bullsh*t from a couple fantasy football geeks that have never played the game, which is based on nothing except assumption. It's like getting expert advice from a shoe salesman on how to train for the olympics.

If so, why are current agents, GM's and head coaches  using their data and finding that it often overlaps with how they have their own players rated?

Like any rating site, they are going to have their ups and downs.  Don't take it as the final word, but it does help in evaluation.  Not too many people have the time to sit there and break down every single play for players.  These guys do it, so it's easier to trust them.  If people can pull up film, prove their rankings wrong over the year, that's great, I'm not tied to the grades.  I think where people go wrong is when that's the only thing they use, much like how there are prospect rankings from various sites.  They usually have some differences, but until someone other than PFF starts to do the rankings, we're not going to see it.   But I do think PFF is a good site to use for rankings, because there isn't much else out there. 

As some kind of unmatched authority on players.  Below is all the proof you need.  How

Thank you - PFF makes Kyle Wilson into a top nickle back. Did on this board for a couple years and it's ridiculous.

Like any rating site, they are going to have their ups and downs.  Don't take it as the final word, but it does help in evaluation.  Not too many people have the time to sit there and break down every single play for players.  These guys do it, so it's easier to trust them.  If people can pull up film, prove their rankings wrong over the year, that's great, I'm not tied to the grades.  I think where people go wrong is when that's the only thing they use, much like how there are prospect rankings from various sites.  They usually have some differences, but until someone other than PFF starts to do the rankings, we're not going to see it.   But I do think PFF is a good site to use for rankings, because there isn't much else out there. 

Bingo!

I actually think that Landry had a nice year.  I'm not sure it was 9th best S best, but still...  I clearly remember when the enforced youth movement began I noticed a few 2nd half plays where a S was blowing people up and flashing some nice plays.  I was happy, thinking it was one of the younger guys and it turned out to be Landry.  They are useful, but I don't think anybody is blindly following their grades.   The thing that I think they can point out is when there is a player thought of as sh*t with a high grade or vice versa you know to take a closer look at that player.

Thank you - PFF makes Kyle Wilson into a top nickle back. Did on this board for a couple years and it's ridiculous.

It also said Geno and Sanchez were among the worst QB's in the NFL and Watt is off the charts awesome.  Can't be right all the time.

Adding to Wilson though, the guy must be better than we give him credit for.  I don't say that to suggest he's any good because IMHO he's god-awful.

However, and I mean this seriously, if he were as bad as we (myself included) say he is, wouldn't opposing QB's throw to whoever he was covering on every single play?  I seriously feel like that would be a strategy that couldn't be stopped.  I never see him do anything right, but for some reason teams don't throw at him nearly as much as they would if he was as bad as we all say he is.

If so, why are current agents, GM's and head coaches  using their data and finding that it often overlaps with how they have their own players rated?

Often overlaps? Like it doesn't often overlap with what the average football fan would tell you? I'll guarantee you right now KRL's grading system of our players would be far more accurate than the PFF horsesh*t. So don't give me this "the headcoaches use their grading system to scout players" crap. Any coach that uses this POS website instead of watching film should be fired on the spot.

I actually think that Landry had a nice year.  I'm not sure it was 9th best S best, but still...  I clearly remember when the enforced youth movement began I noticed a few 2nd half plays where a S was blowing people up and flashing some nice plays.  I was happy, thinking it was one of the younger guys and it turned out to be Landry.  They are useful, but I don't think anybody is blindly following their grades.   The thing that I think they can point out is when there is a player thought of as sh*t with a high grade or vice versa you know to take a closer look at that player.

Exactlty...lack of big plays and/or gamebreaking speed means no highlight reel plays.  Just "getting the job done" doesn't make a player stand out.  Some feel that if you don't make SC top 10 every now and then, you  must be terrible.  He's a solid player and I don't see any reason why somebody would say he should not be considered average to above average over the course of a season.  JMO of course.

Often overlaps? Like it doesn't often overlap with what the average football fan would tell you? I'll guarantee you right now KRL's grading system of our players would be far more accurate than the PFF horsesh*t. So don't give me this "the headcoaches use their grading system to scout players" crap. Any coach that uses this POS website instead of watching film should be fired on the spot.

Looks like at least thirteen NFL teams have some firing to do...lol

Thirteen NFL teams have consulted with PFF and purchased their information for use in their processes, and on Monday morning, TheMMQB.com's Peter King reported that former NFL receiver and current Sunday Night Football color man Cris Collinsworth had bought a stake in the company last week. Collinsworth originally got in touch with PFF founder Neil Hornsby a couple of months ago, and realized that the site's grading was, in some cases, more accurate than his own.

"What really impressed me," Collinsworth told King, "is the fact that 13 NFL teams have contracted with Pro Football Focus for their data. I mean, I have been around the NFL for over 30 years, I know how hard it is to get behind the wall of those teams. And they’ve got 13 teams to trust their data. That’s huge.”

They are valuable if just for snap counts

I like the breakdowns of CB's when covering a specific receiver.  Good way to see how CB's do when targeted against upper-echelon guys.

It's a by product of the fantasy football stats mania.   

People buy into the computer generated strictly, analyst of players  in a game that is really centered around violence, and intimidation.  A lot of folks don't think they actually have to watch the game to tell how good players are.

With that said it is still a good tool to help analyse players high and low attributes.   As  long as the person doing the evaluation  is  actually watching him play.  Kind of like the 40 times at the combine.  Nice tool, but you still have to watch a player to judge his football speed

As far as  Laundry goes, I don't think he is rated as high as they have him, but he's still a good player who I hope is still on the team

It's a by product of the fantasy football stats mania.   

People buy into the computer generated strictly, analyst of players  in a game that is really centered around violence, and intimidation.  A lot of folks don't think they actually have to watch the game to tell how good players are.

With that said it is still a good tool to help analyse players high and low attributes.   As  long as the person doing the evaluation  is  actually watching him play.  Kind of like the 40 times at the combine.  Nice tool, but you still have to watch a player to judge his football speed

As far as  Laundry goes, I don't think he is rated as high as they have him, but he's still a good player who I hope is still on the team

I just think it's the fact that the NFL has become a monster.  While some fans are awesome at pretending to know everything there is to know about every player in the league, the reality is that there are over 1,500 players in the NFL.  When your team signs a guy who you've not seen regularly, you want a resource that can give you an idea as to how he's performed.

PFF simplifies their grading system and acknowledges that they don't know every player responsibility on every single play.  They watch the film and see what the player is trying to do (run block/pass block/blitz/tackle) and then grade it based on whether or not the player was successful.  They don't care about technique, just the result.

One could argue, as I did at one point, that a player might make a great block and get a good grade, but what if he was blocking the wrong guy?  IMO, that's not a very big deal because while it does happen, if it happens more than a couple of times then that player isn't going to be on the field to continue getting graded.  A missed assignment from time to time isn't going to completely alter a players score over the course of an entire season.

Again..good guide, not gospel IMO.

I just think it's the fact that the NFL has become a monster.  While some fans are awesome at pretending to know everything there is to know about every player in the league, the reality is that there are over 1,500 players in the NFL.  When your team signs a guy who you've not seen regularly, you want a resource that can give you an idea as to how he's performed.

PFF simplifies their grading system and acknowledges that they don't know every player responsibility on every single play.  They watch the film and see what the player is trying to do (run block/pass block/blitz/tackle) and then grade it based on whether or not the player was successful.  They don't care about technique, just the result.

One could argue, as I did at one point, that a player might make a great block and get a good grade, but what if he was blocking the wrong guy?  IMO, that's not a very big deal because while it does happen, if it happens more than a couple of times then that player isn't going to be on the field to continue getting graded.  A missed assignment from time to time isn't going to completely alter a players score over the course of an entire season.

Again..good guide, not gospel IMO.

At the NFL level, I agree, it's a tool.

At the fan level, some people hold it as the gospel, some think it's total rubbish.  As usual, the truth is some where in between.

Looks like at least thirteen NFL teams have some firing to do...lol

Thirteen NFL teams have consulted with PFF and purchased their information for use in their processes, and on Monday morning, TheMMQB.com's Peter King reported that former NFL receiver and current Sunday Night Football color man Cris Collinsworth had bought a stake in the company last week. Collinsworth originally got in touch with PFF founder Neil Hornsby a couple of months ago, and realized that the site's grading was, in some cases, more accurate than his own.

"What really impressed me," Collinsworth told King, "is the fact that 13 NFL teams have contracted with Pro Football Focus for their data. I mean, I have been around the NFL for over 30 years, I know how hard it is to get behind the wall of those teams. And they’ve got 13 teams to trust their data. That’s huge.”

You really believe anything somebody tells you about their product. I have a pill that turns you into the wealthiest person on the planet in just 2 hours. Send me all your money. You can trust me.

Nothing you posted contains any information. It's an infomercial. 13 NFL teams? How the hell would they know that? How the hell would they know what member of which team has signed up there? Even if this were true, what kind of information are they using? That BS grading system to gameplan for opponents? Are you insane?

Listen, if any coach is interested in getting stats, they go straight to STATS.INC. Those are the Pro's. They do it for every sport almost. They have all the stats you'd want. They've been doing this for half a century or so. They are the ones the NFL uses for their official stats. Not this PFF bullsh*t. People are so incredibly gullible these days.

You really believe anything somebody tells you about their product. I have a pill that turns you into the wealthiest person on the planet in just 2 hours. Send me all your money. You can trust me.

Nothing you posted contains any information. It's an infomercial. 13 NFL teams? How the hell would they know that? How the hell would they know what member of which team has signed up there? Even if this were true, what kind of information are they using? That BS grading system to gameplan for opponents? Are you insane?

Listen, if any coach is interested in getting stats, they go straight to STATS.INC. Those are the Pro's. They do it for every sport almost. They have all the stats you'd want. They've been doing this for half a century or so. They are the ones the NFL uses for their official stats. Not this PFF bullsh*t. People are so incredibly gullible these days.

LOL

LOL

Indeed.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052970203889904577199781897959096

In Super Bowl, Giants Go Long for a Number Cruncher Football Novice From England Studies Footage, Supplies Data

By Reed Albergotti

February 4, 2012

INDIANAPOLIS—A secret strategist for the New York Giants won't be in Indianapolis for Sunday's Super Bowl bout against the New England Patriots. He won't even be in the U.S.

Neil Hornsby will be watching the game on television from his home about 30 miles from London. A north England native, Mr. Hornsby never played a down of football. Not until the age of 42 did he attend his first professional football game. Yet from watching games broadcast over the Internet, he has compiled research and analysis that the Giants and several other teams used this season to prepare for their opponents.

Now, from temporary offices in an Indianapolis Marriott, the Giants are using pieces of Mr. Hornsby's data as they get ready for the Patriots. "It's definitely valuable information," says Jon Berger, the Giants' director of football information, who for competitive reasons declines to elaborate.

Like those train spotters who stand along Britain's railways collecting locomotive data, Mr. Hornsby studies the National Football League in a way its most fanatical fans would find tedious. Using game footage available to anyone with Internet access, Mr. Hornsby and his team watch every player on every down that is broadcast on television, a process of such endless rewinding and replaying that each contest takes about 24 hours to analyze. "I get very little sleep," says Mr. Hornsby, 48 years old.

"I haven't started a support group yet," says his wife, Claire Hornsby, who dubs herself the United Kingdom's only "American football widow."

Mr. Hornsby grew up following his nation's most popular obsession, soccer. But while watching television in 1983, he underwent a road-to-Damascus-type conversion upon seeing some highlights of American football. Rushing out to buy a football magazine that happened to feature Dolphins quarterback Dan Marino on its cover, Mr. Hornsby became an instant Miami fan.

Inside the magazine, however, he discovered what he loves most: statistics. Yards per carry, completion percentage, sacks, fumbles, receptions—all this was candy to a man who held a physics degree and whose business consultancy provided process-and-program-management advice to the hotel industry.

The New England Patriots, Game by Game

Even so, for many years his only way of following live games was the Armed Forces Radio Network.

"It was so frustrating because the signal was always cutting out right at the crucial moments in the game," he says.

Then came the Internet, delivering game-footage galore. The more Mr. Hornsby watched and took notes, the more convinced he became that existing analysis of the game was neither complete nor entirely accurate. According to his research, hype often played a larger role than statistics in determining pay, playing time and Pro Bowl appearances. "Take everything you hear watching the game on television with a grain of salt," he says.

But in a sport teeming with armchair quarterbacks, who wanted to hear from Luton, England? Mr. Hornsby, after all, had only ever attended two professional games.

Then, in 2007, he launched his website, called Pro Football Focus. At first it made no splash. But gradually football junkies saw it offered unusual detail, including grades of how specific players performed in each game in each facet of the game. For instance, an offensive lineman would receive a separate grade for both pass blocking and run blocking.

Pro Football Focus was also keeping track of even more advanced data, that it hoped to sell to media outlets and, perhaps, football teams.

For a pass play, it didn't merely record who threw it, who caught it and how many yards were gained after completion. It kept track of how many seconds elapsed before the quarterback released the ball, where each player stood at the start of the play, which defensive player applied pressure and which blocker allowed it.

In 2009, the site came to the attention of the Giants' Mr. Berger, an executive of the team since the early 1980s. As director of information, Mr. Berger is the team's official wonk, entering every play by every NFL team into a database in search of trends and tendencies that might be useful for Giants coaches.

It was while "messing around on Google" that Mr. Berger came across Pro Football Focus, and one statistic in particular struck him: player participation. The site listed the number of times each player in the NFL participated in a play during a game. That is a statistic the NFL tracks and releases only to teams—never to the public.

Doubtful about the accuracy of Mr. Hornsby's data, Mr. Berger checked it against the NFL data set and found Pro Football Focus was nearly perfect. Impressed, Mr. Berger sent Mr. Hornsby a congratulatory note. Mr. Hornsby was so surprised he thought one of his friends had pulled a prank on him.

Today, the site provides customized data to five NFL teams, Mr. Hornsby says, as well as to sports agents seeking to bolster their players' arguments for fat paychecks. Mr. Hornsby won't say which teams or agents are paying for his data. But he says revenue is now great enough that he employs four analysts to help him study game footage, and 13 others to count how many downs each NFL athlete plays per game. He says he doesn't provide data to the Patriots.

The Giants are a nonpaying user of the site. That relationship deepened last August when Mr. Hornsby requested a visit with Mr. Berger. The timing could hardly have been worse: With the preseason shortened by a labor dispute, August was busier than usual for Mr. Berger. But he agreed to meet with Mr. Hornsby, blocking out a full hour on his calendar.

The meeting lasted seven hours. Stunned at the material Mr. Hornsby produced from his laptop, Mr. Berger says he was especially intrigued by data showing where individual players most often line up on the field, and how they perform against certain formations and opponents.

"It was really impressive," says Mr. Berger, calling Mr. Hornsby the first outsider ever to supply usable data to the Giants.

What most amazes Mr. Berger is that Mr. Hornsby gathers his data using the television footage available to everyone. That footage is highly limited compared with the proprietary film—known as All 22—that the NFL gathers at each game and makes available only to team officials.

Mr. Berger says it is now customary for him to seek information from Mr. Hornsby about coming opponents. Mr. Berger says these communications typically begin with an email to Mr. Hornsby asking him to call Giants headquarters. That is because the teams' low-cost telephone system won't allow calls to England.

Write to Reed Albergotti at reed.albergotti@wsj.com

I think the main issue here is the distinction between useful and right.  They are not the same thing.

Yep...I honestly think some fans get upset when they see data, no matter what it's based on, that differs with their own opinions based on sportscenter highlights.

I was skeptical of PFF at first, the more I read the more credibility I thought they had.  Once I started finding articles that mentioned agents, front offices and coaches using their data, I figured they must be doing something right.  Me personally, I don't have time to watch 1,500+ players on every play over the course of a season so I look at what they provide and use it to give me an idea as to how a player performs.

Yep...I honestly think some fans get upset when they see data, no matter what it's based on, that differs with their own opinions based on sportscenter highlights.

I was skeptical of PFF at first, the more I read the more credibility I thought they had. Once I started finding articles that mentioned agents, front offices and coaches using their data, I figured they must be doing something right. Me personally, I don't have time to watch 1,500+ players on every play over the course of a season so I look at what they provide and use it to give me an idea as to how a player performs.

When they put Calvin Prior on their All-Rookie team, when they have K Wilson ranked highly, they lose all credibility.

I've been told Pryor got his spot because he played a lot of snaps. If snap counts play such a huge roll in their algorithm then they are simply wrong. A lot of teams are weak st certain positions, but someone has to play those snaps. Doesn't make them good players.

When they put Calvin Prior on their All-Rookie team, when they have K Wilson ranked highly, they lose all credibility.

I've been told Pryor got his spot because he played a lot of snaps. If snap counts play such a huge roll in their algorithm then they are simply wrong. A lot of teams are weak st certain positions, but someone has to play those snaps. Doesn't make them good players.

How many rookie safeties played enough to be considered?  It is fashionable now to love Clinton-Dix, but I know Pack fans that were not so in love with his play.  Snap counts play a huge role in who deserves consideration for things like the rookie team.  Or maybe you want to claim that Tomlinson is the greatest QB of all time because of his statistical greatness throwing the ball?

Archived