Namath dropping more truth bombs

DaBallhawk

I dunno.  The quote below surely seems like he's going down that path. 

p.s. I love how he finished the quote with a Rexism. 

" Excuse me. There was a time when Tom Landry didn't have a friend in the locker room. And there was a time when Don Shula wasn't liked at all. Vince Lombardi was not a sweetheart to his players, and all that kind of stuff"

If you want to spin it that way, you can.

The Rexism was noted. I think it was entirely intentional, pure trolling genius from Broadway Joe.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This 100%

Namath is saying discipline is important inside of a well run team.

Even Pete Carroll a so called players coach has clear lines as he showed by shipping off one of his better playmakers.

The idea that to be a players coach means you are lax is silly. All that overused phrase means is that a coach shows that he cares which something that Lombardi was very good at as well.

Rex's entire manner in running this team was about as organized and controlled as dirty laundry in a freshman dorm room.

"Discipline" in the context it is being discussed regarding Rex, is about more than just the relationship with players. It's about his presence, performance, and handle on the job. 

If you want to spin it that way, you can.

The Rexism was noted. I think it was entirely intentional, pure trolling genius from Broadway Joe.

I'm not trying to spin anything.  That's how I interpreted the quote. Looks like I'm not the only one.

I'm sure it wasnt intentional but just thought it was funny.

I agree Bro, I will checkout your show where do I find it, I will tonight or over the weekend.   I remember the Yale bowl.  My mom bought me the Joe Namath jersey in 1968 to get me away from being a fanatical Yankee fan, it worked I am a fanatical Jet fan.

not a show...  I was a one time guest on our local radio station. Its 3 minutes and is the youtube video.

Namath loved Rex until he didnt, just like 98% of Jets fans.  Same will happen with Bowles if he doesnt win.

To be fair, that is the truest thing that he said.

And most of all, those coaches I mentioned and those that are gone and those that are here, they're only as good as their record. It's a win game, or see you later.

Namath loved Rex until he didnt, just like 98% of Jets fans.  Same will happen with Bowles if he doesnt win.

Really? Here's a funny story. Mind you, this was 4 years ago and it's ultimately something that probably got Rex fired now. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Joestradamus:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7023925/joe-namath-rex-ryan-odds-new-york-jets-preparation

Rex Ryan says he isn't going to change who he is just because Joe Namath criticized his team's preparation..."I'm not gonna change who I am because Joe Namath said something," Ryan said Monday. "Joe Namath can come in here, and if he can still throw, we'll have him as a backup quarterback. He doesn't know our team. He's on the outside. Even though he's a Jet, and once you're a Jet you're always a Jet ... but he's on the outside, he's not in these meetings. I think if he was he'd be shocked at the preparation."

"It starts at the top. Coach Rex Ryan I think has been doing a great job getting the team to two (AFC) Championship Games. But if there's one thing about the athlete, if you keep telling him how good he is, he's going to start believing it, to the point that he may not be preparing not quite the way he should. He may be losing some respect for the other team."

Notice the "once a Jet always a Jet" line. Full of sh*t. Anyway, Joestradamus strikes again. This is exactly what made us the laughing stock in the NFL last season. The lack of preparation, lack of respect, lack of accountability. He made similar comments over the years about Rex. How is Joe not a high ranking member of our front office? Unless he doesn't want to. But the man is a god damn genius.

Anybody have any context to this? Who/What station did he talk to?

I don't think Bowles is going to be anything like Rex in that respect. Rex is a fake and a guy with little real confidence and needs to 'project' an image. He was a guy that would rather be liked in the locker room than respected. It is also reflected in his attitude toward 'moral victories' which Rex prized highly. I think Bowles will drop the hammer on underachievers where Rex let them slide. Right Kyle Wilson?

I am not sure I would call Rex a fake.  He just is what he is... And he often talks to much.  If I am not mistaken, Baltimore did not give him a head coaching job when they had the chance, That is all the Jets probabaly needed to know.   

I am not sure I would call Rex a fake.  He just is what he is... And he often talks to much.  If I am not mistaken, Baltimore did not give him a head coaching job when they had the chance, That is all the Jets probabaly needed to know.   

Totally disagree. 

Rex is what he thinks he should be, the dude isn't true to himself at all. Nobody that is true to themselves needs to tell everyone that they are, nor is their entire personality make-up driven by insecurity.

Totally disagree. 

Rex is what he thinks he should be, the dude isn't true to himself at all. Nobody that is true to themselves needs to tell everyone that they are, nor is their entire personality make-up driven by insecurity.

I hear you.. we can agree to disagree.  I am not going to get in a debate about the psyche of our former coach... 

I hear you.. we can agree to disagree.  I am not going to get in a debate about the psyche of our former coach... 

That's fine, I was just going to pop back in here and say we shouldn't have this devolve into another Rex argument. :)

Nobody knows if "new coach good," but we do know "old coach bad." 

Nobody denies that discipline is important.  Namath said you couldn't have discipline and be friendly with the players. 

Please explain to me how shipping Harvin off has anything to do with having a players back, poise, the way he acts on the sidelines.  If anything, they moved him specifically to protect WIlson.

I don't see how this is a "truth bomb"   What this amounts to is a team icon saying what most of the board agrees with.  This might as well have been a post over here.  New coach good, old coach bad.  Yay!  It must be true.  Nobody has any idea what Bowles will be like.  I pray that he is as good as some of you think. 

Really? Here's a funny story. Mind you, this was 4 years ago and it's ultimately something that probably got Rex fired now. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Joestradamus:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7023925/joe-namath-rex-ryan-odds-new-york-jets-preparation

Notice the "once a Jet always a Jet" line. Full of sh*t. Anyway, Joestradamus strikes again. This is exactly what made us the laughing stock in the NFL last season. The lack of preparation, lack of respect, lack of accountability. He made similar comments over the years about Rex. How is Joe not a high ranking member of our front office? Unless he doesn't want to. But the man is a god damn genius.

You're absolutely right.  If Rex had Namath and Namath could still throw, he wouldn't have been fired.

Thank you!!!!

Namath always was concerned about the Rex way.  Remember how Namath said sanchez was loose with his grip on the ball?  Sanchez and staff laughed until Sanchez was fumbling his Jet job away!! (And I supprted Sanchez as much as anybody) 

But Namath has been right on point.

Thank you!!!!

Namath always was concerned about the Rex way.  Remember how Namath said sanchez was loose with his grip on the ball?  Sanchez and staff laughed until Sanchez was fumbling his Jet job away!! (And I supprted Sanchez as much as anybody) 

But Namath has been right on point.

He loved Rex and believed in the team and the direction, just like 98% of Jets fans before the downward spiral. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/joe-namath-super-bowl-talk-justified-new-york-jets-article-1.203955

Rex Ryan's team has the perfect formula to win it all, Namath said.

"They have more swagger than we did, that's for sure," Namath said. "We have a team we're expecting a lot out of this year."

He praised everything from Ryan's leadership to the evolution of the defense, citing the importance of getting off to a fast start for a team built to win now.

You're being silly. Joe gave him credit for the success he had here early on. He gave him credit 5 years later, he gave him credit back then. What's your point? Does that mean Rex can do whatever he wants now and we all have to appreciate how great he is, no matter how bad he actually is? You don't make any sense. Joe called him out 4-5 years ago, he called him out multiple times. He pointed out the things that he saw were going wrong, things that ultimately got Rex fired. Rex disagreed back then but it turns out Joe was 110% right. And yes, early on most fans, almost all of the fans were pulling for Rex. Why? Because there was no reason not to! He was winning! Players didn't skip meetings, they showed up for work! They did their job! What the hell do you want to critisize him for?!

He loved Rex and believed in the team and the direction, just like 98% of Jets fans before the downward spiral. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/joe-namath-super-bowl-talk-justified-new-york-jets-article-1.203955

Rex Ryan's team has the perfect formula to win it all, Namath said.

"They have more swagger than we did, that's for sure," Namath said. "We have a team we're expecting a lot out of this year."

He praised everything from Ryan's leadership to the evolution of the defense, citing the importance of getting off to a fast start for a team built to win now.

Lame.

I enjoyed Rex and thought he was and is continuing to improve as a head coach.

Yet this team and many players were beginning to take advantage of his laid back style. It was time for a change and for everyone to be held accountable for there responsibilities both in the classroom, practice and on game day. You can be a nice guy but still expect people to do there jobs.

Rex's antics are perfect for Buffalo's hum drum fan base.  His brass, bravado act grew increasingly old and boring here in metro NY.  His shtick will fascinate the hick Buffalos......for awhile. Even Rex admitted the Jet organization was separating itself from him.  What he doesn't get is its not for the reasons he claims.  Bowles is a welcome change.  A dominant, aggressive defensive-minded coach, like Rex, but one who already displays an accountability and no nonsense approach as a leader.  He is straightforward and doesn't play to the media.  I wanted Bowles hired back when it was obvious Rex would not return.  He was the right man for the job.           

Rex's antics are perfect for Buffalo's hum drum fan base. His brass, bravado act grew increasingly old and boring here in metro NY. His shtick will fascinate the hick Buffalos......for awhile. Even Rex admitted the Jet organization was separating itself from him. What he doesn't get is its not for the reasons he claims. Bowles is a welcome change. A dominant, aggressive defensive-minded coach, like Rex, but one who already displays an accountability and no nonsense approach as a leader. He is straightforward and doesn't play to the media. I wanted Bowles hired back when it was obvious Rex would not return. He was the right man for the job.

Gotta say, just listen to coach Bowles presser after the mini , you just have to be impressed by his demeanor and presence and the way he expresses his thoughts and ideas. I certainly hope this attitude and approach translates well to the playing field. .

Gotta say, just listen to coach Bowles presser after the mini , you just have to be impressed by his demeanor and presence and the way he expresses his thoughts and ideas. I certainly hope this attitude and approach translates well to the playing field. .

I prefer hemmin and hawin, empty threats and promises, and comedy routines.

Archived