Detailed Look at Bryce Petty

JetBlue

read thshadow's post. No other team offered a 4th that was only one spot lower than the one jags were giving up. So yes, a 7th can "be better than what other teams were offering" based on that alone.

Of course

I don't know what the big mystery is here.  they got an offer from the Browns for a 7th or maybe even a 6th round pick.  Jax didn't want to move back that far, so they called the Jets.  Macc said yearh we want Petty here.  Bang Jax gets an extra pick for nothing

Petty is basically a lump of clay that has to be shaped into an NFL QB. Thankfully

we have a front office & coaching staff that knows this and has a specific plan to

develop him.  Fans that stupidly call for him to play this year unknowingly want

him to fail because he's not ready 

KRL... do you what type of system our QB coach came out of? Don't even know the Dudes name?

Is he well thought of in league circles?

TIA... Boozer

Thanks for posting...Interesting video.

I'm excited about the kid.  He's a football player...He seems to have the athleticism to play the position question is does he have the head - and we will see.  He'll have to time to learn pressure free and that's exciting.

I hope he's on the bench for two years....

What does he learn in year 2?

KRL... do you what type of system our QB coach came out of? Don't even know the Dudes name?

Is he well thought of in league circles?

TIA... Boozer

Our QB coach is Kevin Patullo who got his start under Gailey up in BUF.  So he's going to be

well versed in what Gailey is going to implement.  He's a young guy so I don't know what his rep

in the league is

He learns how to be a better NFL QB...

Are you suggesting that a QB prospects learns everything he needs to learn his rookie year?

Considering the offense he played in at Baylor he may very well need 2 years.  

I honestly don't buy this Petty development talk...the Qb class is way better next draft. That's where we get our qb of the future.

So you know what qbs are coming out; what their rankings will be, and our 2016 draft position? 

Our QB coach is Kevin Patullo who got his start under Gailey up in BUF.  So he's going to be

well versed in what Gailey is going to implement.  He's a young guy so I don't know what his rep

in the league is

You doing Florham Park this year? Love your player evaluations and your take on positional battles.

Considering the amount of depth we have at most positions, this could be your toughest & busiest camp yet

You doing Florham Park this year? Love your player evaluations and your take on positional battles.

Considering the amount of depth we have at most positions, this could be your toughest & busiest camp yet

That's the plan.  With camp being local this year I should be out there much more than when

it was in Cortland

Well..... not the most impressive resume for a QB coach. Hopefully he can teach Bryce and Geno about making "read progressions" and ID'ing defensive alignments. Maybe ven how to "throw wide receivers open"

Biography

Kevin Patullo enters his sixth season in the NFL as the assistant wide receivers coach for the Titans after spending three seasons (2010-12) with the Buffalo Bills.

In his three years with the Bills, he served as quality control coach and assistant wide receivers coach. In his time there, he saw wide receiver Stevie Johnson post three consecutive 1,000-yard receiving seasons (2010-1,073; 2011-1,004; 2012-1,046).

Kevin Patullo enters his sixth season in the NFL as the assistant wide receivers coach for the Titans after spending three seasons (2010-12) with the Buffalo Bills.

In his three years with the Bills, he served as quality control coach and assistant wide receivers coach. In his time there, he saw wide receiver Stevie Johnson post three consecutive 1,000-yard receiving seasons (2010-1,073; 2011-1,004; 2012-1,046).

His NFL coaching debut came in 2007 with the Kansas City Chiefs, where he spent two seasons as offensive assistant/quality control coach, including a stint working with the wide receivers. Prior to his time with the Chiefs, Patullo served three years (2004-06) as an offensive graduate assistant at the University of Arizona. He began his coaching career for his alma mater, the University of South Florida, in 2003 as a graduate assistant.

Patullo graduated from South Florida after playing both quarterback and wide receiver from 1999 to 2002.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/5/3/8539157/bryce-petty-a-detailed-look-at-the-jets-newest-quarterback

usa-today-8319170.0.jpg

It's time to start looking at our draft picks in more detail, and today I'm going to start with former Baylor QB, Bryce Petty.

On January 27th, I wrote my scouting report on Bryce Petty of Baylor, within that report I came to the following conclusion:

I'm still very undecided on Petty and his pro potential. I see a lot of things on tape that I really don't like but then I see some things I love and I love his work ethic and you know the saying "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard". He has a steep learning curve for the NFL but a part of me really thinks he'll do it because he believes he can and he'll work his socks off for it. However I certainly don't think he's the best quarterback in the draft and I think he'll struggle early before finding his role. There are too many negatives for me to really buy into his NFL potential but write him off at your peril, if he lands with a good coach on a team willing to develop him, he could be very good.

From the moment we selected him in the 4th round, I've been studying tape on the former Baylor QB, in the hope that I'll be more convinced by his potential. I'm still very unsure about Petty, but after watching a number of interviews with him, if he doesn't succeed, it's not going to be through a lack of effort. He brings a fantastic attitude to the table and he's going to work his socks off to succeed.

Here are some issues that I picked up when watching.

Deep Ball Accuracy

I was watching the SMU tape to start off with and it struck me how inconsistent Petty was with his deep ball accuracy. He had 4 chances at long touchdown receptions to his receivers, he hit on one of them and missed on three. A 25% success rate didn't hurt Baylor against a poor SMU team, but it is something he'll need to clean up. In the NFL, you don't get 4 open chances a game, you get one, and when you get it, you better hit it.

Running Ability & Toughness

Petty isn't the fastest player you're ever going to see, but he has good athleticism for the position and he runs with authority and toughness. Put simply, he is a competitor who will take a hit if he has to, on occasions he takes hits you wouldn't want him to take but that's the price you pay when you run from the read option. Petty's decision making was excellent when running the read option, and he had a lot of success with it.

Baylor Offense - Simplified

It's hard to talk about Petty without mentioning the offense that he came from. The Art Briles offense is a simple one for a QB, mainly because the plays are called from the sideline, the QB has one read and it's all about fast players and a fast tempo. They spread their receivers out wide to create a very wide coverage responsibility area for the defense, as a result their players find themselves in man to man coverage. When the receivers are not getting behind defenders with ease, they are taking easy completions in the flat and turning it up-field.

As a result Bryce Petty is not asked to do too much. He has simple reads and simple throws, a lot of his completions come in the flats and 5-10 yards down field.

However, don't make the mistake of thinking that Bryce Petty doesn't have talent. He showcases a good arm and he can fit balls into tight windows. While he's not comfortable going through his progressions, he has done that in college and he's done it with success. However I'm not going to sit here and try and convince you that he throws most of his touchdowns to his 3rd read and into a tight window. The truth is, he throws the majority of his touchdowns to his first read who's wide open behind a defense who don't know how to handle the Art Briles air attack system. However, if you can score touchdowns by throwing to your first read who's wide open, why wouldn't you? He didn't have to go through his progressions all that much.

Arm Talent

Bryce Petty doesn't have the strongest arm in the NFL draft, but he has a strong enough arm to make all the throws. Even when throwing off his back foot, he gets enough velocity behind the ball to complete all the throws you would want from an NFL quarterback. I appreciate that so far it hasn't been a ringing endorsement for Petty, but he really does have a lot of talent and I wanted to showcase a few throws that I found really impressive.

What will the Jets need to work on with Petty?

The Jets will need to work with Petty on reading an NFL defense, that is the single most important aspect. If he ever wants to start in the NFL, he's going to need to know how to go through his reads, progress to his hot read if under pressure and recognize blitzes.

His footwork is OK when he gets through his motion. However he took his snaps exclusively from the shotgun, the Jets will need to work on his drop back, keeping his balance and being in the right position to deliver the throw.

Running a huddle. Like Mariota, Petty didn't really run a huddle at Baylor, mainly because he didn't have to. Baylor run an offensive play on average every 20 seconds, as a result, Petty is a rhythm guy. An NFL team won't run that fast, so he needs to know how to get the play from the sideline, communicate it clearly to his team and manage the clock effectively.

There is a lot of work to do with Petty, and if you are expecting him to be starting from year one, you're not being realistic. However with my extensive film study of him, I've seen enough to suggest he can learn to run a pro offense and he has the arm talent to do so.

I don't like these developmental big arm quarterbacks who rarely if ever work out.

Petty is not one of those guys. He shows touch and I've seen him come off his first read, go to his second and deliver the ball on time. He feels pressure in the pocket and climbs and slides. He shows an understanding of the game and he's been one of the most productive college quarterbacks in recent memory. There is a lot of work to be done, but to repeat my initial conclusion from January

If you get a spare 13 minutes, make sure you watch this video.

Write him off at your peril, if he lands with a good coach on a team willing to develop him, he could be very good.

I hope Whoever wrote this article watched tape of Petty from 2013 more than 2014, Petty was hurt most of 2014, and was better in 2013, everything, but his completion percentage, and that might be (I am guessing here) because he threw a lot more balls closer to the line of scrimmage due to his injury, when 2013 was straight up deep balls all the time, his YPA, passin yards, TD's, and INT's were all better by a large margin, and he attempted about the same amount of passes in each season.

I honestly don't buy this Petty development talk...the Qb class is way better next draft. That's where we get our qb of the future.

How do you know we'll be drafting a qb next year with petty on the roster?

Some astute poster on here pointed out how terrible it was to draft geno because it prevented us from grabbing teddy bridgewater the next draft, and he fell right into our lap.

What if drafting petty this year means we will skip the qb position next year?

The Same people who are telling you Bryce Petty cant start, will never start, not ready, needs loads of teachings, etc...

are the same people who said Jamar Russel is worth #1 and should start right away...and the 100s of other fails predictions

Petty is basically a lump of clay that has to be shaped into an NFL QB. Thankfully

we have a front office & coaching staff that knows this and has a specific plan to

develop him.  Fans that stupidly call for him to play this year unknowingly want

him to fail because he's not ready 

This 100%

Neither Sanchez nor Geno should have started their first years in the league.  It hurt them.  All I can say is thank goodness we have folks who know that this isn't FF!!!

How do you know we'll be drafting a qb next year with petty on the roster?

Some astute poster on here pointed out how terrible it was to draft geno because it prevented us from grabbing teddy bridgewater the next draft, and he fell right into our lap.

What if drafting petty this year means we will skip the qb position next year?

I disagree with this thinking.

If you have a need and an excellent prospect comes along you don't say we drafted some average guy last year that stops us from getting or drafting a superior player now.

You always look to improve not show how good or smart you were in drafting player X,

This 100%

Neither Sanchez nor Geno should have started their first years in the league.  It hurt them.  All I can say is thank goodness we have folks who know that this isn't FF!!!

We do, but not many.

I disagree with this thinking.

If you have a need and an excellent prospect comes along you don't say we drafted some average guy last year that stops us from getting or drafting a superior player now.

You always look to improve not show how good or smart you were in drafting player X,

Agreed but that's exactly what we did with bridgewater.

Also if petty sits all year and the jets have an opportunity to take a better qb prospect in the first round, won't their be dissenting opinion that haven't even gave Bryce his chance yet? That we don't know what we have?

Also if petty sits all year and the jets have an opportunity to take a better qb prospect in the first round, won't their be dissenting opinion that haven't even gave Bryce his chance yet? That we don't know what we have?

This Question has already been answered. The GM told us prior to the draft the he would always take the Best Player available regardless of need. He then proved that by taking the Best Player in the 2015 NFL draft at DT despite the Jets being loaded at that position and needing a speed WR, leaving a player in Kevin White some experts had as the Best WR available in said draft. 

There's a new law in the Land, something Jet fans are unaccustomed to.

I hear and I understand your well placed concern!!  I do.

Now I believe that Idzik operated out of fear. 

IMO he jettisoned Sanchez because he didn't want competition with Smith, because he didn't want to look bad.   I really he was more interested in what people thought than what was right for the Jets.

Simply it would have been better to keep Sanchez on the cheap let him go out there with the inferior talent instead of continuing to risk Smith's confidence if the team wasn't prepared to upgrade the talent.  He also could have drafted a Bridgewater and let the guys play it out. Hiding your QB is not possible today so competition at that position is mandatory.

So you are sooo right, based on what we know now Bridgewater could have been our starting QB instead of what we have now.

But bad GMs do bad things and Idzik had a theoretical model that seemed to make sense but he was a bad GM and couldn't upgrade the roster. 

So I do understand what you are saying and based upon the Jets horrid past, quite frankly, your fears are more than justified. :character0069:

Are you suggesting that holding a clipboard for two years is better than one?

I am suggesting it could be.  If he's as raw as they say he is, yet has the intellect and natural ability to be a legitimate NFL QB - I think it would certainly make sense to have him hold a clipboard for 2 years.  I understand at some point you need to play to realize the full speed of the game but there's an awful lot to learn about being an NFL QB and the more time we give him the better for it he'll be.

I know everyone has written off geno smith, but just keep in mind this is the first year with NFL receivers.

yes and then this year it will be "this was his first year in chan gailey's system. poor kid has had 2 different OCs in his first three years."

i have seen this movie before, not interested in going to the sequel.

I know everyone has written off geno smith, but just keep in mind this is the first year with NFL receivers.

I know better WRs now, but even w/sub par WRs, last 2 years when primary covered I never saw his head going to secondary/3rd progression reads like in NFL u r supposed to,,turn head, arm already cocked caus eu know hwre they are, abiility to pump fake if 2nd WR covered, then on to 3rd progression,,he wobbled, arm never was cocked as he was turning towards backup WR,,that minisecond is difference in completion of INT or sack..

I think the kid tries and studies films, but just does not have Progression read ability,,u have to have that coming into NFL, then hone it.. He never had it.

I think suspicious Gailey went on about how at I think Senior Bowl, he threw Jets schemes at Petty and Gailey mentioned how surprised he was at how well  'this' scheme QB picke dup the progressions and did them 'right'.

In NFL greatness so much dictated by pocket awareness (step up in pocket as opposed to turn and run backwards like Geno) and reading/being successful at progressions when Primary covered.

I know better WRs now, but even w/sub par WRs, last 2 years when primary covered I never saw his head going to secondary/3rd progression reads like in NFL u r supposed to,,turn head, arm already cocked caus eu know hwre they are, abiility to pump fake if 2nd WR covered, then on to 3rd progression,,he wobbled, arm never was cocked as he was turning towards backup WR,,that minisecond is difference in completion of INT or sack..

I think the kid tries and studies films, but just does not have Progression read ability,,u have to have that coming into NFL, then hone it.. He never had it.

I think suspicious Gailey went on about how at I think Senior Bowl, he threw Jets schemes at Petty and Gailey mentioned how surprised he was at how well  'this' scheme QB picke dup the progressions and did them 'right'.

In NFL greatness so much dictated by pocket awareness (step up in pocket as opposed to turn and run backwards like Geno) and reading/being successful at progressions when Primary covered.

geno is a great example of someone who has the physical attributes to play in the nfl but he fails at a few key things:  1) poor pocket awareness, 2) poor accuracy, and 3) slow release.  i'm no scout, but i watched bryce petty highlights vs. michigan state in the bowl game, and right away you see the quick release and he hits guys in the hands.  of course it's the spread offense, but still, he did it.  i expect gailey's offense to be perfect for petty, especially with marshall and devin smith.   i have no idea of petty's pocket awareness, my guess is the offense he was in didn't allow for too much pressure, so that's something which will take time.  i'd like to see how geno and petty run gailey's offense in the preseason, b/c it just seems like it's well suited for petty's game.  

All that about the "system QB" that can't adapt to the nfl game is all bullsh*t in my opinion. It all depends on how smart they are and how fast they can learn the new system. Petty coming out of college has all the tools Geno had, if not better. On film and watching live Petty throws a beautiful ball, and according to all the "experts", Petty is one smart kid and works his butt off.  Genos' stupid decision making year after year shows me he cannot learn the offense properly or read the defense for that matter. Yeah Geno works his butt off in the offseason physically, but is he really studying that playbook like he should? His play on the field dictates otherwise.

What happened with Russell Wilson in Seattle is exactly I hope what happens here. Yeah Petty came from a Air raid spread offense, but if Petty is smarter than Geno in the film room and studying that playbook, whose to say he cant beat him out in camp?? I mean this is Genos' first year learning this offense just like Pettys'. I don't have any doubt that Petty could make all the throws Geno could, all Petty needs to do is show this coaching staff he can make the proper reads and not make stupid decisions. Maybe if we had Rex still this possibility would be completely out the window given his loyalty to his mediocre starting QBs, but to me it looks like a whole  new era of Jets football and I hope our coaching staff will play the absolute best player we have, whether it be Fitz Geno or (hopefully) :headbang: Petty. 

Archived