Jets work out RB

joewilly12

Why not Ray Rice or trade for Matt Forte

Free agent RB Bryce Brown worked out for the Jets on Tuesday.

Brown has gotten a few nibbles since getting cut by the Bills, including a workout with the Patriots last week. The Jets could use an extra back with starter Chris Ivory battling a quad injury. Even if he signs, Brown won't move the needle much.

The Jets on Tuesday brought in five players for workouts, including three running backs: Henry Hynoski, a fullback formerly of the Giants; Bryce Brown, formerly of the Eagles and Bills; and Joe Banyard, formerly of the Vikings, a person familiar with the situation confirmed.

That person spoke to NJ Advance Media on condition of anonymity. ESPN's Rich Cimini was first to report the news of the workouts.

With running back Chris Ivory still banged up, the Jets no doubt wanted to get a look-see on a few free agents as a contingency. Ivory, who has a quad injury, was active for Sunday's loss to the Eagles, though he did not play. He said afterward he was fine, and head coach Todd Bowles said Monday he thought Ivory would be OK "with a couple more days' rest."

In Ivory's place, Bilal Powell and Zac Stacy combined for just 47 rushing yards on 16 carries against the Eagles. The Jets also still have a fullback in Tommy Bohanon.

Hynoski spent four seasons with the Giants before being released at the end of training camp earlier this month. He caught 23 passes in his first two seasons.

Brown spent the 2012 and '13 seasons with the Eagles and last year with the Bills. He has averaged 4.4 yards on 226 career carries with six rushing touchdowns.

Linebackers Jeff Luc and Quayshawn Neely were the other two players to work out for the Jets on Tuesday, the players' day off.

I love the fact that every single time somebody has heard the name of a Tuesday tryouts player it means they should pick up some expensive player at the same position.  These guys have one thing in common: they are all on the street at the start of October.  The only one that concerns me is Hynoski. I would have expected them to go without a FB if they dumped Bohannon (or he got hurt).  Maybe that is less of an option with the lack of TEs and they may be looking for him as an H-back.  Hynoski was considered a worse pure FB than John Conner, but he might be a fair H-back candidate.  Bad news is that he lost his job because he was worse on specials.  Banyard had a decent number of touches for the Vikings last year and has been on their practice squad or roster since 2012.  I'm not surprised that they had LBs in, but I am surprised the guys they had are both more ILB than OLB.  They are pretty deep at ILB and have Taiwan Jones on the practice squad.  That may actually be the spot they are auditioning for, though FWIW, the rotoworld blurb said that teams were considering moving Luc to FB. 

Restructure his deal. 

That will change his birthday?

CJ Spiller has 45 total yards this year on offense through two games. He missed week one. Not sure what the love affair for him is.

he is familiar with a chan gailey offense, and he can catch the ball. I don't love the guy but if we weren't planning on drafting an RB he would have been an ideal player to back up Ivory

CJ Spiller has 45 total yards this year on offense through two games. He missed week one. Not sure what the love affair for him is.

CJ Spiller is a name people know.  He hasn't been good for years and would be nothing here.

Brown hits the hole hard at least and is a better player than Ridley and Stacy at this point.

Archived