A reactionary pick from a Front Office that thinks there very close to Playoffs/Superbowl.

Shockwave

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

My mother is dead. Should have drafted Carr instead of Pryor.

We already drafted a project at QB, she wouldn't have drafted another QB. 

Only people saying this are those looking at Carr today.  Don't remember anyone calling for Carr to be drafted, especially dead people

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

We already drafted a project at QB, she wouldn't have drafted another QB. 

Only people saying this are those looking at Carr today.  Don't remember anyone calling for Carr to be drafted, especially dead people

I was calling for Carr to be drafted. I am a draft wizard.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Theses and people are now talking themselves into loving the fact that we just drafted an inside linebacker.

Not really, LB, blitzer etc was a huge position of need going into the draft.  They didn't like Lynch, they might love Petty, we'll see. 

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

JetBlue yelling at anyone that isn't jerking off to this that they obviously haven't seen him play kind of makes this sh*t worth it. Yeesh.

I don't even see how this helps the defense of the pick. You watch any OSU games and their entire front seven is NFL caliber, and Lee is the guy running clean to tackle dudes. I wonder how much of his evaluation is based on the Matt Millers of the world jerking off to his 40 time.

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don't even see how this helps the defense of the pick. You watch any OSU games and their entire front seven is NFL caliber, and Lee is the guy running clean to tackle dudes. I wonder how much of his evaluation is based on the Matt Millers of the world jerking off to his 40 time.

The only saving grace from that perspective is that he had his best games vs. the best comp they faced in the big games.

17 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

The Jets have (HAD) a major hole at linebacker and overall defensive speed. Darron Lee fills that need. He can come in and be our Luke Kuechly, Thomas Davis, or Deone Buccanon... That sounds reactionary to you?

How many times did we get beat by a running back embarrassing a linebacker? I can think of 2 games where that was a huge factor in us losing (Philly and first Buffalo game). This pick has been highly graded almost across the board.

Dude, Luke Kuiechly? Are you stoned?

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

These people are now talking themselves into loving the fact that we just drafted an inside linebacker.

I don't think anyone loves it. They're just not suicidal because we passed on a Bucco Bruce lookalike who needs his mommy to set protections for him.

18 hours ago, Shockwave said:

I Personally see a team one year removed from 4-12 and having the oldest roster in the NFL with many overpaid players on the wrong side of 30. Thats not what our Front office see's. 

is this because of bowles comments about "hopefully" being a 3 down player and starting off behind henderson ?

Contrary to what the QB brigade would have you believe on here,about 5 of the last 7 Superbowl's have been won because of great defence. 

This will be one of the best defences in the league. Could be even better if Milliner would ever stop being a vagina and our pass rushers improve.

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I get what your saying as well but who would you have wanted in that spot ?

Lynch ? Treadwell ?  Offense ? Defense ?

IMO in the second round we should draft yet another Linebacker or go after Henry since we really don't have a bruising RB on the roster

Again, I don't have a pecking order list of individuals. But to take an ILB he would have to be so head & shoulders above big money position players. Maybe he was, but judging from those taken in the next several picks it would seem not. Plus watching on TV it wasn't like with every pick since #10 no one could figure out how Lee was still on the board.

So I give "brownie points" to players at those positions because they're so much harder to find in FA, and so much more expensive if they are: QB, LT, OLB/outside pass rusher, CB, outside WR.

I think ILB is ok to take at that stage, but not when the team is so thin at those other positions, and where value is also there.

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Again, I don't have a pecking order list of individuals. But to take an ILB he would have to be so head & shoulders above big money position players. Maybe he was, but judging from those taken in the next several picks it would seem not. Plus watching on TV it wasn't like with every pick since #10 no one could figure out how Lee was still on the board.

So I give "brownie points" to players at those positions because they're so much harder to find in FA, and so much more expensive if they are: QB, LT, OLB/outside pass rusher, CB, outside WR.

I think ILB is ok to take at that stage, but not when the team is so thin at those other positions, and where value is also there.

This comes down to what you would consider to be 'that stage,' though. It's not like we were picking in the top ten. At 20 I think it's okay to take the elite talent at an arguably non-priority position. And whether anybody agrees or not, the league plainly had a consensus that Treadwell isn't an elite talent. History bears this out. The guy who's viewed as the top WR wire-to-wire throughout the predraft process doesn't go this late for no reason and there weren't non-football issues in play here.

9 hours ago, Dcat said:

I watched a pair of games since the pick and from what I saw, it is an overstatement to call Lee a "sure tackler".  There were multiple broken tackles and missed tackles by him as well as solid ones.  He was the fastest defender out there, obviously.

I wasn't saying that he was. In fact, I was replying to someone who said he was neither of those things. I'm confused about his role: this is a guy who they say struggles in coverage, misses tackles and has major question marks about his ability to shed blocks. To my simpleton brain, those 3 things sound like basically everything. I get that he's fast, OK, what is he doing with that speed? Is he some kind of ballhawk?

I went back through 6 pages or so and couldn't find someone making the case for him. I'd like to see someone do that.

24 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What positions are those?

The main value players on the board were Defensive Linemen, Wide Recievers and Linebackers - Only one of which is a significant need. The Tackles and DB's were gone. The only viable alternative who would have presented value was Lynch, who could be the big mistake, it simply depends on how he works out.

14 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

What positions are those?

The main value players on the board were Defensive Linemen, Wide Recievers and Linebackers - Only one of which is a significant need. The Tackles and DB's were gone. The only viable alternative who would have presented value was Lynch, who could be the big mistake, it simply depends on how he works out.

I hate need-based drafting, and I generally don't like taking this position in round 1 outright. You have a specific need, then go fill it in free agency. There was also - and again, I'm not saying this would have been a better pick; I'm going by position + value - an outside pass rusher but we decided to let the draft come to us instead of leapfrogging Buffalo. But again the positions I'm still referring to are QB, WR, CB, pass rushing OLB, OT.

I was reasonably certain they wouln't pick a safety, a DE/DT 'tweener or a pure DT/NT, so the one position - with TE a close 2nd I guess - that I didn't want to see was ILB. So that's the main source of my malaise at the pick. It's not this kid Lee in particular.

I just think we could have picked up this position (with zero bust factor) in FA, and then picked a more money position in round 1.

Archived