A reactionary pick from a Front Office that thinks there very close to Playoffs/Superbowl.

Shockwave

11 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Lynch sucks, Petty sucks, Fitz is and always was going to be our QB the next year or two. I see no difference in drafting Lynch at 20 compared to Cook or Hack at 50ish, except for height. They all suck. I'd rather draft suck in the 2nd than suck in the 1st. At least we drafted a guy who could be a top 5 LB in the NFL. Those measureables are elite for any Lb. 

This is right on the money.  Wasting #20 on Lynch when Cook or Hack are likely to be better or about the same at worst in round 2 (perhaps 3 for Hack), would be a ridiculous risk.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Good. We could have used some suck. We've drafted nothing but good quarterback prospects the past decade and it's worked out horribly.

I get the "just draft somebody" theory, but spending a first on a bigger version of Geno doesn't really get us anywhere. I would most certainly take a QB tonight though.

"Excuse me, these shoes don't fit me well. Do you have something else in a similar style?"

"Calm down, there's no need to have a meltdown about this."

"I'm not having a meltdown. These shoes just don't fit my feet right and I think I'll be better off with something else."

"Haha, hey everyone get a load of the hissyfit this guy is throwing."

"What the...so do you have anything else?"

"Look, watch some YouTube clips about these shoes and here's a link to what this blogger said about these shoes and you're just ridiculous if that doesn't change your mind."

"But these don't fit my feet. What the hell is going on?"

"Jesus man, you're just a whiny little bitch aren't you."

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Lynch, then I would have dedicated every resource in the building to getting him and Petty ready to play. My second choice would have been Treadwell because I think he's can't-miss. While I appreciate that Lee will be a nice addition to the defense, I'm pretty sure this is the offseason we talk about when we talk about why this regime failed. There is zero coherence to much of anything they do.

Treadwell was my pick, too, but I think you're underrating Lee and I have no idea why taking him over Big White Geno is incoherent in any way.

1 hour ago, Fibonacci said:

With this pick, I feel defeated. Don't know why but it is what it is. Yeah we were picking 20th and options were limited. Yeah, Lee is a safe pick fitting Bowles' scheme and can help us with his speed. I definitely don't hate the pick but somehow I still feel defeated. I guess I was hoping more from last night. I thought we would be able to move Mo but we couldn't. I was hoping for an offensive player but we passed. At least I was hoping to trade down to gain more picks but we didn't. We just picked a value pick. I don't hate the pick but still I feel defeated.

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

this sums up how I feel exactly. To a tee.  Very well stated.

[And (off topic), the stupid draft party was awful... beyond awful;.  I will never go again to that sham of an event. Waste of time and the jets should be ashamed to host such a poorly planned, poorly delivered event.]

Sorry you guys feel this way, hype can do this.  I was trying to warn folks that logistically it was going to be impossible to move Mo and I still think its impossible on day 2 and 3.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Honestly, we should have taken Lynch, and I don't even know if I like the guy but chances have to be taken until QB gets solved. Give him a year or two while still picking up mid-round QBs in 2017 and 2018 and then try again if he doesn't pan out. We're not in a position to be passing on quarterbacks.

Macc pretty much had lynch graded out as a 3rd or 4th round pick.  If that is true it would have been an incredible reach.  This also means they aren't as desperate as some have made them out to be and I think speaks more confidently how they might feel about Petty compared to bringing in Lynch.

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

This is right on the money.  Wasting #20 on Lynch when Cook or Hack are likely to be better or about the same at worst in round 2 (perhaps 3 for Hack), would be a ridiculous risk.

How are Cook and Hack "likely to be better?"  I would assume that since several teams were trying to trade up and get Lynch once it was obvious our front office wouldn't know WTF to do with a QB prospect and passed, that it was universally understood Lynch >>> rest of the QB class.

I didn't hear anything about Cook and Hack even being considered last night.

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Treadwell was my pick, too, but I think you're underrating Lee and I have no idea why taking him over Big White Geno is incoherent in any way.

Because Maccagnan and Bowles aren't really building for tomorrow, and yet they're not contending in the present.

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I get the "just draft somebody" theory, but spending a first on a bigger version of Geno doesn't really get us anywhere. I would most certainly take a QB tonight though.

I disagree. Watching the past several years and how all this has panned out, QBs really are a crapshoot. Grades are great and whatnot but I think the process really serves more to eliminate the bottom feeders rather than give anything coherent at the top (exempting Luck-like prospects, obviously). The Jets had the right idea in drafting Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith. Nothing wrong with taking your shots on the top QB prospects in any draft when you need a quarterback. The Jets went wrong (and are going wrong) in holding on to both for way too long and not moving on. Drafting Lynch isn't some sort of disastrous thing so long as you're cutthroat about production, and the juice is 100% worth the squeeze.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Because Maccagnan and Bowles aren't really building for tomorrow, and yet they're not contending in the present.

I have problems with the pro-personnel side of things, but I don't think passing on Paxton Lynch is an indictment of anyone.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Dee Milliner has the best measurables of any corner drafted since Deion Sanders.

Not better than PP? But I get your point. You're still acting like a penis though. I wanted a QB and would have been fine rolling the dice on Lynch, even if though I still think he sucks. 

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Dee Milliner has the best measurables of any corner drafted since Deion Sanders.

Also-Milliner is  about the same size as Lee. So the Jets  will have 2 6'1" "fast"  guys in nickel packages getting burned by bigger TEs over the middle on 3rd down.But they'll hang onto said TE as he stretches himself past the marker.  Hoo-freaking-ray. 

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Your argument is incoherent.  Refusing to draft  a QB who Mac had ranked as a 3rd round talent or worse makes him "not contending in the present"?

Oh really?

There is absolutely no logic here at all.  You and others are just stomping your feet spitting out idiocy and illogical dribble because you didn't get what you want. You assume that Lynch is a 1st round talent and then proceed from there.  Your a victim of your own faulty assumption and you are flying with this incredible circular reasoning to new levels of absurdity

And Elway's move does not make you correct.  It just makes him look dumb too.

5 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I disagree. Watching the past several years and how all this has panned out, QBs really are a crapshoot. Grades are great and whatnot but I think the process really serves more to eliminate the bottom feeders rather than give anything coherent at the top (exempting Luck-like prospects, obviously). The Jets had the right idea in drafting Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith. Nothing wrong with taking your shots on the top QB prospects in any draft when you need a quarterback. The Jets went wrong (and are going wrong) in holding on to both for way too long and not moving on. Drafting Lynch isn't some sort of disastrous thing so long as you're cutthroat about production, and the juice is 100% worth the squeeze.

Does your opinion change if they land Cook or Hack today? Or cardale jones tomorrow?  (If somehow Cleveland and Dallas don't first). Between lynch, Cook, Hack and Jones: ones got maturity issues, the other regressed for two straight years, the other is 6'7 and dumber than a chair and the last guy is even dumber than that. All four have great talent, but all suck in their own right. I agree on rolling the dice on a QB, just think of you do that enough and skip on actual talent, your team looks like ours. (Which is not bc we've drafted QBs over talent, we just suck in general). Outside of wentz and Goff, none of them belonged in the first round, at least what I saw. Which is why I'm not upset. But I'm also an idiot who watches maybe 16 games a year... 

12 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

good.  Then we agree on the Jets needing to be willing to take shots on QB prospects.  Now they didn't pick the one that YOU happen to want. And that's the real reason you are whining and crying.    Whose to say they are not picking either Cook or Hack later, who have every bit a chance, if not more, of beeing that franchise QB as does Lynch?  Why gamble a 1st rounder on 3rd round talent when you can spend a 2nd or even a 3rd on the same thing.  

Where you are wrong is n thinking that Lynch is oh so much better than Cook or Hack.  IMO,  he's worse. And we can take one of the others to compete with Petty later (I hope)

8 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Also-Milliner is  about the same size as Lee. So the Jets  will have 2 6'1" "fast"  guys in nickel packages getting burned by bigger TEs over the middle on 3rd down.But they'll hang onto said TE as he stretches himself past the marker.  Hoo-freaking-ray. 

Dude, not about just covering TEs. No one covers Gronk, that's why he's the most dominant TE in the history of the game. Go watch Keuchly and Davis and what they do for a defense. Lee could be that. He could be what Demario should have been and what we all wish Harris was. 

18 minutes ago, Pcola said:

How are Cook and Hack "likely to be better?"  I would assume that since several teams were trying to trade up and get Lynch once it was obvious our front office wouldn't know WTF to do with a QB prospect and passed, that it was universally understood Lynch >>> rest of the QB class.

I didn't hear anything about Cook and Hack even being considered last night.

Keep pretending that Lynch is a 1st round talent.  That's your assumption and if it is wrong (as I believe it is) then your entire argument and all the crying, whining and stomping of feet today is just silly.  If you want to believe that Elway's move and that Dallas wanted to move up to get him too makes them correct about Lynch, then by all means, believe what you want.  I'll just chuckle at what i see as the absurdity of such reasoning if you don't mind.  

We'll see how Lee pans out but if he does it fills a huge need on our defense. Hopefully the days of rb beating our LBs on wheel routes are over. 

Honestly I dont see the hype on lynch. If we get either Cook or Hack I see it as the same as lynch. A developmental QB who might never pan out, except we wouldn't have wasted a 1st rounder. 

One the wrs? Yeah you can make that argument because Marshall won't be here forever, but our most pressing need was on defense in the lb position (assuming Fitz resigns)

Just now, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Does your opinion change if they land Cook or Hack today? Or cardale jones tomorrow?  (If somehow Cleveland and Dallas don't first). Between lynch, Cook, Hack and Jones: ones got maturity issues, the other regressed for two straight years, the other is 6'7 and dumber than a chair and the last guy is even dumber than that. All four have great talent, but all suck in their own right. I agree on rolling the dice on a QB, just think of you do that enough and skip on actual talent, your team looks like ours. (Which is not bc we've drafted QBs over talent, we just suck in general). Outside of wentz and Goff, none of them belonged in the first round, at least what I saw. Which is why I'm not upset. But I'm also an idiot who watches maybe 16 games a year... 

I'm not upset, it just sucks. This franchise just continues to bore year after year.

If Hackenberg really is as great as the wannabe Kipers of this board are trying to sell me on, it strikes me that he'd have something to show for it. Cook would be a nice little risk but it's hard to get excited about a dude who thinks he's Lance Harbor and Kanye'd Archie Griffin.

And to be clear, I wasn't even the biggest fan of Lynch. But if the guy's carrying a first round grade, he's there, and your quarterback situation is as dire as ours, just pull the trigger. If it doesn't work out, whatever, fine. But you have to at least try.

That said, if they don't come away with either tonight then it's time to start talking about who is going to be GM'ing this team in 2019.

41 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Lee is going to have the better pro career

18 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Dude, not about just covering TEs. No one covers Gronk, that's why he's the most dominant TE in the history of the game. Go watch Keuchly and Davis and what they do for a defense. Lee could be that. He could be what Demario should have been and what we all wish Harris was. 

Lee was the smart pick

18 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

If you're taking this guy in the 1st round the least he can do is be merely okay covering the best TE on a division team you play 2 x every season. I hope this pick works out, but if it he cannot even help out doing that, that's really an indictment of the pick anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Bugg said:

If you're taking this guy in the 1st round the least he can do is be merely okay covering the best TE on a division team you play 2 x every season. I hope this pick works out, but if it he cannot even help out doing that, that's really an indictment of the pick anyway. 

Can you let the kid play before you act like we passed on Joe Montana for a pile a crap?

Lets face it. Lynch was the bold pick and Elway can afford the potential mistake much easier than Macc.

Having said that, the more I think of the Lee pick the more I see a smurf with muscles getting run straight at and pancaked by run blockers and big running backs.

50 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm not upset, it just sucks. This franchise just continues to bore year after year.

If Hackenberg really is as great as the wannabe Kipers of this board are trying to sell me on, it strikes me that he'd have something to show for it. Cook would be a nice little risk but it's hard to get excited about a dude who thinks he's Lance Harbor and Kanye'd Archie Griffin.

And to be clear, I wasn't even the biggest fan of Lynch. But if the guy's carrying a first round grade, he's there, and your quarterback situation is as dire as ours, just pull the trigger. If it doesn't work out, whatever, fine. But you have to at least try.

That said, if they don't come away with either tonight then it's time to start talking about who is going to be GM'ing this team in 2019.

It does suck, because without a QB you're not winning a SB or competing for one for ten straight years. We don't have one and it seems like we'll never been bad enough to land a top 2 pick or lucky/smart enough to grab a Derek Carr in the second round. Instead we draft defense and wade in mediocrity for our entire football watching career. It's like purgatory. If my life were only the Knicks and jets, I'd bet dollasa to pennies that I raped puppies in a previous life. 

1 hour ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

It does suck, because without a QB you're not winning a SB or competing for one for ten straight years. We don't have one and it seems like we'll never been bad enough to land a top 2 pick or lucky/smart enough to grab a Derek Carr in the second round. Instead we draft defense and wade in mediocrity for our entire football watching career. It's like purgatory. If my life were only the Knicks and jets, I'd bet dollasa to pennies that I raped puppies in a previous life. 

This might be the cleanest roast I've ever had thrown my way. 

1 hour ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

HELLO! ANYBODY THERE?  THE DRAFT IS NOT OVER YET!

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Then why, after winning a SB with poor QB play, then losing Trevathan and Jackson in FA, did the Broncos trade up for a QB instead of picking a nice, safe ILB or DE/DT? Lack of vision? Or do they realize the minuscule likelihood of winning another SB without an x-factor at QB? And the reality is even I'll grudgingly admit right now they have a better starting QB than we've got even with Lynch holding a clipboard. 

I don't know which guys were ranked where. I just think in general ILB is a position too easily/cheaply filled in free agency to burn a mid-1st round pick on it. Yeah if he turns into Luke Kuechly this is an absolute steal. Mighty big if, though.

Denver won with defense, sure. They also got Marshall and Trevathan with 5th and 6th round picks. Now we didn't necessarily need to wait that late on the position, but round 1 is the other end of that extreme. 

Sperm who's to say where he lines up at LB ? First off he may be too small to line up at ILB in the 3-4 . We may use him as an edge rusher we may use him as a rusher from many points on the field if anything the has proven he can play just about anywhere. He would also be nice covering backs out of the back field vs teams that use them a lot. He's a versatile player and I'm sure that's why Bowles/Macc wanted him. Let's  not  slot him as a ILB before we even get to see him play in the NFL.

Keep in mind this defenses main weakness is at LB and with the player we have on the line and in the secondary a few fast LB's could open up this entire defense

Just now, Smashmouth said:

Sperm who's to say where he lines up at LB ? First off he may be too small to line up at ILB in the 3-4 . We may use him as an edge rusher we may use him as a rusher from many points on the field if anything the has proven he can play just about anywhere. He would also be nice covering backs out of the back field vs teams that use them a lot. He's a versatile player and I'm sure that's why Bowles/Macc wanted him. Let's  not  slot him as a ILB before we even get to see him play in the NFL.

Keep in mind this defenses main weakness is at LB and with the player we have on the line and in the secondary a few fast LB's could open up this entire defense

Yeah I get why one would like him, and he looks like he'll probably be a good player. I just don't think that's as rare of a prospect/player to find that one needs to burn the 20th pick in the country on him. 

Understand, I don't grade draft prospects & don't watch college football at all (until January, at the earliest lol). So I'm not yelling "sucks" with my hair on fire. He just seems like he'll be a nice+valuable player, but that the pick was more high-floor than high-ceiling. When it comes time to re-up him after his rookie deal is done, he'd be (in today's dollars) maybe a $7M/year player, give or take. Nothing wrong with that, mind you, but it's also not the kind of big-money player you need to use a pick in lower-middle of round 1 of the draft, if you're lucky enough to have him fall that far. 

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Exactly ... there are still QB's left and plenty of Receivers and even after saying that I would not be disappointed if we took yet another fast LB in round 2. Its an obvious area of need on defense and our offense seems pretty stacked to me going into this year . We have to get Fitz signed for a couple of years and go after the QB whenever this FO thinks its a good time to do so. Maybe they are just not high on any of the QB's coming out this year and I'm sure they know who will be coming out next year

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah I get why one would like him, and he looks like he'll probably be a good player. I just don't think that's as rare of a prospect/player to find that one needs to burn the 20th pick in the country on him. 

Understand, I don't grade draft prospects & don't watch college football at all (until January, at the earliest lol). So I'm not yelling "sucks" with my hair on fire. He just seems like he'll be a nice+valuable player, but that the pick was more high-floor than high-ceiling. When it comes time to re-up him after his rookie deal is done, he'd be (in today's dollars) maybe a $7M/year player, give or take. Nothing wrong with that, mind you, but it's also not the kind of big-money player you need to use a pick in lower-middle of round 1 of the draft, if you're lucky enough to have him fall that far. 

I get what your saying as well but who would you have wanted in that spot ?

Lynch ? Treadwell ?  Offense ? Defense ?

IMO in the second round we should draft yet another Linebacker or go after Henry since we really don't have a bruising RB on the roster

Archived