Report: Decker Upset With Jets Over Fitzpatrick Situation

JetNation

There’s a reason Ryan Fitzpatrick is with his fourth team in four years.

He’s inaccurate compared to quality NFL starting quarterbacks.

There’s also a reason Fitzpatrick has lasted 11 years in the NFL with six teams and has thrown for 20,791 yards and 134 touchdowns.

He’s smart and savvy.

Fitzpatrick, 32, presents an interesting dilemma for the Jaguars. They’ve already faced him three times in coach Gus Bradley’s first two years with the Jaguars.

Fitzpatrick split two games against the Jaguars in 2013, when he was a member of the Tennessee Titans. The Jaguars lost to Fitzpatrick and the Houston Texans last season in their first meeting. Fitzpatrick was injured for the Week 17 rematch.

Fitzpatrick’s stats against Bradley’s Jaguars: He’s 52 of 78 for 580 yards with three touchdowns and one interception. Fitzpatrick has also run for two touchdowns.

“He’s decisive,” Bradley said. “He makes decisions, and he goes with it. I think he really has a sense of poise back there. You see him make good decisions, and I think the team really believes in him.”

On Sunday, the Jaguars (2-5) again face Fitzpatrick. This time, he’s with the New York Jets (4-3).

They know him, but not in this offense.

“The systems are different, but his mannerisms and the way he plays is the same,” Jaguars linebacker Paul Posluszny said. “He’s a very gutsy quarterback, a tough guy. He’s very smart and picks his opportunities to take off [and run] well.”

So, how will the Jets utilize Fitzpatrick? The Jets are going to first and foremost put the game on running back Chris Ivory, but Fitzpatrick will have to make plays.

Tampa Bay did a good job of shielding a then-struggling Jameis Winston in a 38-31 win over the Jaguars on Oct. 11. The Buccaneers ran well but also were successful with Winston throwing high-percentage passes to running backs Doug Martin and Charles Sims.

Fitzpatrick will always need to be shielded to an extent. He isn’t a dynamic passer. But, New York will likely try to emulate Tampa Bay’s plan as much as possible because Fitzpatrick is dealing with a hand injury.

In last Sunday’s loss at Oakland, Fitzpatrick tore a ligament in his left (non-throwing) thumb. The injury knocked him out of the game until backup Geno Smith also got hurt. Fitzpatrick will need surgery after the season, but he will start Sunday.

One thing to watch for will be whether Fitzpatrick can hand off with his left hand. If he can’t, the Jaguars gain a huge advantage. The Jets will either have to limit which side they run to or have Fitzpatrick try to awkwardly hand off with his right hand to his right side.

Jaguars defensive end Jared Odrick described Fitzpatrick as “tricky” before making a funny comment on whether the Jaguars would try to hit Fitzpatrick’s hand if given the chance.

“If you get the opportunity, hey sure,” Odrick said. “Get at his hands. There aren’t many areas we can hit on the quarterback anymore, so hopefully the hands are an area that we can still get after.”

So, how should the Jaguars attack Fitzpatrick?

The Jets have protected Fitzpatrick well all season. He has attempted 215 passes and been sacked four times. That’s where the decisiveness Bradley talked about comes into play. Fitzpatrick does a good job of getting the ball out on time.

“He reads the defense so quickly, and he understands,” Jaguars defensive coordinator Bob Babich said. “There have also been times where he could have gotten sacked, and he’s a really good scrambler. He gets out by using his legs. I think that it’s a combination of those things.”

Fitzpatrick has run for 124 yards this season. Both of his touchdowns on the ground against the Jaguars came on 4-yard runs.

“He’s got good speed for a quarterback,” Posluszny said. “We’ll have to have great awareness in where he is in the pocket and be disciplined in our rush lanes.”

The Jaguars want to get pressure with their four-man front and not have to rely heavily on the blitz. That’s Bradley’s core philosophy. However, with the pass rush stagnant for the first six games, Bradley adjusted.

The Jaguars usually blitz on about 14 percent of their opponents’ passing attempts under Bradley. In their last game, a 34-31 victory over Buffalo in London on Oct. 25, Bradley and Babich increased the percentage: The Jaguars blitzed Bills quarterback EJ Manuel on 38 percent of his dropbacks.

Don’t expect to see that this week.

When the Jaguars last faced Fitzpatrick, they blitzed him twice in his 25 dropbacks. He was fairly ineffective, throwing for 135 yards on 13 of 19 passing with no touchdowns or interceptions. He did run for the one touchdown.

The Texans were better that day because running back Arian Foster ran for 127 yards and a score, while Houston had 169 total yards on the ground.

In Fitzpatrick’s other win over Bradley’s Jaguars, Titans running backs Chris Johnson and Shonn Greene combined for 41 carries and 181 yards and a touchdown.

The Jaguars should focus on stopping Ivory and not bring pressure often against Fitzpatrick.

He’s a career 60.3 percent passer, which is more damning considering he’s a short-pass quarterback. This season, Fitzpatrick is slightly above his career average completing 61.9 percent of his throws. That ranks 23rd among quarterbacks with 100 completions.

A lower completion percentage can be excused somewhat if the quarterback hits explosive plays. For instance, Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles is completing 55.7 percent of his passes this season, but he ranks fifth in the NFL with 29 completions of at least 20 yards.

He takes shots downfield and connects.

Fitzpatrick ranks 20th in the league with 20 passes that have gained at least 20 yards.

So, his accuracy isn’t great and he isn’t explosive through the air.

The Jets already have a tendency to use maximum protection to help Fitzpatrick. That will likely continue now that he’s dealing with an injured thumb.

The Jaguars shouldn’t abandon the blitz. After all, it was Fitzpatrick who was stripped by then-Jaguars cornerback Will Blackmon to seal Bradley’s first win with the Jaguars in 2013. Blackmon blitzed from his nickel spot, strip-sacked Fitzpatrick and returned the ball 21 yards for a touchdown in a 29-27 win over the Titans.

Send Aaron Colvin on a few of those, especially after he produced a strip-sack touchdown against the Bills.

However, the Jaguars should mostly let Fitzpatrick throw from the pocket and drop seven into coverage.

Fitzpatrick is an intelligent quarterback, but there’s also a reason he has played for four teams over the last four seasons.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This Decker/Marhshall (I hope not Mangold) thing has really gotten to me.  I never get upset at players dealing with contract negotiations, hold-outs etc...It's their money, they're professionals and have every right to do what they think is best for their career.

What Decker is doing is selfish and narcissistic.  It's very much the type of thing I could see Tom Brady pulling (except he has too much respect for his HC/GM)  The GM has to make decisions based upon many more factors than what's best of Eric Decker.

He may want Fitz back, he may be Fitz's good friend, and he should even go even to the GM and make it clear that he would prefer to play with Fitz and it's personally important to him that he's back....

What he shouldn't do is publicly demand the Jets pay Ftiz more than market says he's worth and frankly more than the 31 other GM's in the league are willing to pay.  It makes the entire organization, including your 2nd year GM and HC, look terrible.

This isn't the sign of a good teammate or a professional, it's the act of a selfish child.

51 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You have a legitimate objective source for either of these claims, or is this just more of the same agenda-based hyperbole?

Whats funny is some seem to want to have it both ways, Fitz gets the "most talented team in history" and "easiest schedule", yet the same roster with some improvement is already being downplayed by Geno supporters, and the schedule is being described in flowery language as to it's difficulty, as if we played a Mid-Era Tom Brady 16 times.

Serious response here.

I dont have a legit objective source because the statement is subjective. However, dont call it hyperbole because though its a subjective position if you ask any Jets (outside of myself) and simply asked them where do they rank the 2015 Jets talent wise in the last 30 years, without getting into "Fitz talk" and trying to influence the conversation, many Jets fans will tell you that this is arguably the best team collectively they've ever seen the Jets field. So i guess the closest that I can get to a legit objective source is based on a bunch of similar subjective responses from Jets fans who watch Jets games.

You can do the same thing with the schedule. Ask a Jets fan in terms of the strength of schedule, where would they rank that 2015 schedule when comparing past Jets seasons. See what their answer is. Matter of fact, I'll ask you. Where would you rank this 2015 Jets team in terms of talent over the past 30 years? In terms of strength of schedule, where would you rank that 2015 schedule? Is it one of the easiest you've ever seen most difficult you've ever seen, and can you remember any "easier" schedules than 2015? 

As for your 2nd part. Im not one of those "trying to have it both ways" guys. I think Geno Smith is QB better option. In my eyes he's the better QB. I think that with the amount of talent around Fitz last season mixed with the schedule we were able to maximize his talent and get the most out of him. Fitz at his best produced a 10-6 record and no playoffs. 

I think that this team today with Geno in his 2nd year under the same offense/coaches has a much higher ceiling than Ryan Fitzpatrick. Im not trying to downplay anything. Im not giving an excuse. I think the Jets have a better chance of reaching the playoffs and possibly the superbowl with Geno under center than any other QB on this roster or any other QB associated with this team (Fitzpatrick). I believe Geno Smith gives this team the best show for success. I believe that Geno can more effectively move the offense. I believe that Geno Smith can contribute to the development of our deep threat WR's such as Devin Smith and make them relevant in the offense. I think that Geno Smith is much smarter than people like to admit. But most importantly, I dont think that you sign a 12 year veteran that had a good year statistically to 7-15 million dollars and guarantee him a starting spot when you have 3 quarterbacks on your roster that are ALL under rookie contracts. That is the absolute prime example of what it is to stunt growth. Put Geno out there and find out what you have, especially when everyone was okay with that situation just 12 months ago. 

45 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No not implying that at all,its daytime entertainment that is all. 

Really? Because you've tried so hard in the past to imply I have not job to be online posting during the day... while you are online posting, during the day.

You sure? 

I dunno man. History suggests that you were going for the insult... and history also suggests that you'd fail in doing so.

I'm going to go with history on this one.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Really? Because you've tried so hard in the past to imply I have not job to be online posting during the day... while you are online posting, during the day.

You sure? 

I dunno man. History suggests that you were going for the insult... and history also suggests that you'd fail in doing so.

I'm going to go with history on this one.

Nah you're wrong again you could deliver papers in the early am hours. 

50 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

There’s a reason Ryan Fitzpatrick is with his fourth team in four years.

He’s inaccurate compared to quality NFL starting quarterbacks.

Stopped reading here.

We're not comparing Fitz to quality NFL starting quarterbacks. We're comparing him to the current roster:

• a 2nd round head case whose team hates him, that can't read a defense, can't protect the football, and is inaccurate
  • a 4th round sophomore project, that can't read a defense, gets happy feet with a little bit of pressure, and is inaccurate
  • a 2nd round rookie project, that hasn't played good football since his freshman year of college, and is know for being inaccurate

In context, when inaccuracy is the common denominator amongst all options... suddenly, a smart veteran that knows the system and inspires his teammates isn't such a bad thing, despite him also being inaccurate.

10 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

YES! YES I AGREE! It also tells me that if the Jets defense holds a team to 20 points or less they're undefeated. The problem, when you're not seeing (because you dont care to see). is that defenses will not always hold teams to 20 points or less. The offense has to score points. 

And you can talk about all that "Stay tuned to see whats next" nonsense all you want. At the end of the day I can rest my head on this fact. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick in his entire 11 year career has lost 84% of the time games where opponents scored 21 or more points. that has nothing to do with "schedules" or "best teams". 

That has everything to do with a fraudulent quarterback. 

Glad you decided to stay tuned! 

I am well aware that teams can score more than 20 points a game. I was just pointing out the obvious. you didn't have the number 21 in mind when you went looking for fitzpatricks stats. it was just a number that fit your argument after looking at the stats. 21 points fits your argument like a glove while stating fitz went 1-6(lmfao at crediting fitz for the Oakland loss). I did the same thing that you did and found a number that was 1 measly point less that tells a different story. 20 points or less and fitz is 9-0.. so which is the true story here? well, I will tell you. neither of them. each game is totally different from the next. so just stop with the "i have proof fitz is a bum" nonsense using your hand picked numbers to try and prove a point

Stopped reading here.

We're not comparing Fitz to quality NFL starting quarterbacks. We're comparing him to the current roster:

• a 2nd round head case whose team hates him, that can't read a defense, can't protect the football, and is inaccurate
  • a 4th round sophomore project, that can't read a defense, gets happy feet with a little bit of pressure, and is inaccurate
  • a 2nd round rookie project, that hasn't played good football since his freshman year of college, and is know for being inaccurate

In context, when inaccuracy is the common denominator amongst all options... suddenly, a smart veteran that knows the system and inspires his teammates isn't such a bad thing, despite him also being inaccurate.

Then why not sign JaMarcus Russell or lure Ryan Leaf out of retirement 

The NFL isnt a popularity contest its about winning games. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Then why not sign JaMarcus Russell or lure Ryan Leaf out of retirement 

The NFL isnt a popularity contest its about winning games. 

lol, this might be the worst counter point in the history of this board... you're a mess

lol, this might be the worst counter point in the history of this board... you're a mess

You lobbying for Ryan Fitzpatrick for our starting QB is more of a mess because of our roster so you are saying 31 other NFL teams dont want him but our roster welcomes himi

37 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This Decker/Marhshall (I hope not Mangold) thing has really gotten to me.  I never get upset at players dealing with contract negotiations, hold-outs etc...It's their money, they're professionals and have every right to do what they think is best for their career.

What Decker is doing is selfish and narcissistic.  It's very much the type of thing I could see Tom Brady pulling (except he has too much respect for his HC/GM)  The GM has to make decisions based upon many more factors than what's best of Eric Decker.

He may want Fitz back, he may be Fitz's good friend, and he should even go even to the GM and make it clear that he would prefer to play with Fitz and it's personally important to him that he's back....

What he shouldn't do is publicly demand the Jets pay Ftiz more than market says he's worth and frankly more than the 31 other GM's in the league are willing to pay.  It makes the entire organization, including your 2nd year GM and HC, look terrible.

This isn't the sign of a good teammate or a professional, it's the act of a selfish child.

before you demonize the guy, how about we make sure there is some truth to the story first. the story first broke as a conspiracy between mangold, marshal, and decker. now its just decker. consider the source. consider where this source got his information.. well, the source

Geno is a terrible, awful, atrocious quarterback (Timmy Tebow has a higher career PASSER rating LOL).

But, Geno's also a horrible teammate. After big plays last season, in crucial games, every player on the sideline is rooting and celebrating. Except Geno Smith. The punk is standing there pouting.

If players don't want to waste a year of their careers, while putting their health on the line, to play with him, I don't blame them.

The same Eric Decker also said this: ](*,)

When the NFL won in court to get Patriots quarterback Tom Brady’s Deflategate suspension back on, Jets receiver Eric Decker saw an opportunity.

Decker said on NFL Network that he thinks the Jets are poised to take the next step to the playoffs, and that Brady’s suspension is part of making the AFC East a more competitive division.

“With Brady being suspended four games, I think it makes the division up for grabs. I believe in this team and we’re ready to make the run now,” Decker said.

8 minutes ago, ylekram said:

before you demonize the guy, how about we make sure there is some truth to the story first. the story first broke as a conspiracy between mangold, marshal, and decker. now its just decker. consider the source. consider where this source got his information.. well, the source

Agreed.  I probably should have prefaced it with "If this is true"   With that said, If this is true...Even if you're a Fitz supporter and think he should get $20mm a year - you still shouldn't be happy with this.  Even if you hate Geno and think he's the worst QB to ever throw a ball in NFL - As a fan of this team, you still should be upset over their actions.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Agreed.  I probably should have prefaced it with "If this is true"   With that said, If this is true...Even if you're a Fitz supporter and think he should get $20mm a year - you still shouldn't be happy with this.  Even if you hate Geno and think he's the worst QB to ever throw a ball in NFL - As a fan of this team, you still should be upset over their actions.

again, I will hold judgement until its verified. given that 2 of the 3 culprits have already been exonerated. which leads me to believe that the entire story was concocted.

4 hours ago, Colgateman said:

Nope.

I just don't believe the young man should deserve as much hate that he gets from this fanbase.

You all make stories out of non stories, just like the trash New York Media. 

I understand not liking the way he plays, but not liking him as a person is stupid. Considering that he does a lot for charity and genuinely seems like he got better and more humble as a person since he got hit in the jaw.

Everyone deserves a second chance, let him have a second chance, everyone here needs to admit that he can make all the throws, he just couldn't put the mental side together, but with a year off, who knows where he is mentally now? 

But eitherway, you all will circle jerk over fitzpatrick, because he threw 31 touchdowns. Even though he was bottom ten in every quarterback metric except for yards and Touchdowns, which were a result of Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker catching wobble knee sinkers, and that was with them facing inferior defenses all year. Even though when Fitzpatrick faced a decent defense, he threw multiple picks. But I guess even though the facts are in your face, you all will still continue to circle jerk over 31 touchdowns and make controversy out of nothing. That is the truth

Great post!

35 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

You lobbying for Ryan Fitzpatrick for our starting QB is more of a mess because of our roster so you are saying 31 other NFL teams dont want him but our roster welcomes himi

I'm not lobbying for anyone. I've been pretty clear, I don't care who starts - as long as we're winning. 

I am just slapping down bad arguments. Not my fault the pro-Geno turdbase is making more of them than the people that don't mind seeing Fitz come back.

1 minute ago, BowlesMovement said:

Gotta love agreeing with a Pats troll posing as a Jets fan, bashing all things Jets...... Only Jets fans....

Who cares what team someone is a fan of.  If they're right, they're right.  

(And he's right.)

Just now, Mike135 said:

Who cares what team someone is a fan of.  If they're right, they're right.  

(And he's right.)

It should tell you something about yourself when your agreeing with a poster whose sole purpose being here is to troll Jets fans, not make valid points. But hey, you, joewilly12, villan, j4jets, jetrider, and a few other are all in on this, its like a troll circle jerk.

3 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

It should tell you something about yourself when your agreeing with a poster whose sole purpose being here is to troll Jets fans, not make valid points. But hey, you, joewilly12, villan, j4jets, jetrider, and a few other are all in on this, its like a troll circle jerk.

Even with trolling, he's still made more valid points on the topic than you have.

(And he's still right.)

6 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Gotta love agreeing with a Pats troll posing as a Jets fan, bashing all things Jets...... Only Jets fans....

Did you read the post or just the name of the person that wrote it?

Regardless of your feelings toward the poster, the post was accurate.  Geno is way over criticized by this fan base, I have never seen such overwhelming dislike for a player before.  Any reasonable fan of the league understands the terrible situation in which Geno was put.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Did you read the post or just the name of the person that wrote it?

Regardless of your feelings toward the poster, the post was accurate.  Geno is way over criticized by this fan base, I have never seen such overwhelming dislike for a player before.  Any reasonable fan of the league understands the terrible situation in which Geno was put.

LOL, yes, I read it. Geno has done plenty to deserve the hate he has from the fan base, and not his on field play. And I don't even hate him. Again, your in violent agreement with a troll who is not here to make valid points, but rather to troll our fan base......

Just now, sourceworx said:

BTW this whole just show you respect a QB commands. 

Fitz has teammates skipping practice in protest of him not being re-signed. Geno gets his face rearranged by a teammate's fist. 

All the respect in the world isn't going to give him NFL caliber arm strength..

1 minute ago, sourceworx said:

BTW this whole just show you respect a QB commands. 

Fitz has teammates skipping practice in protest of him not being re-signed. Geno gets his face rearranged by a teammate's fist. 

"Teammate", singular.  

4 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

LOL, yes, I read it. Geno has done plenty to deserve the hate he has from the fan base, and not his on field play. And I don't even hate him. Again, your in violent agreement with a troll who is not here to make valid points, but rather to troll our fan base......

Violent agreement?  Not sure what that means and I certainly don't need to apologize for who I agree with.  

If you want to make a case that Geno deserves the vitriol, I have no problems debating that on the merits...but you honestly shouldn't tell me with who it's okay to agree with.  I am not now, nor have I ever been a troll...The particular troll in question happened to make a legitimate point with which I agree.

Perfect example is rotoland sending me updates on fitz with ba articles to just have a story. I cant tell u how many notifications iv seen "fitz not close to deal" "fitz and jets hvent talked" same story just trying to make any news cus there is none

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

BTW this whole thing just shows you the respect a QB commands. 

They're not skipping because of Fitz - do some digging - it's just a slow news day dude

Archived