So Wally, are you surprised that a teammate cold-cocked New York Jets quarterback Geno Smith in the jaw?

Pause.

"Didn't surprise me," Iowa State's defensive coordinator Wally Burnham said after practice Wednesday.

Burnham knows all about run-ins with the former West Virginia star, whose jaw was broken by teammate IK Enemkpali during a locker room confrontation Tuesday reportedly over a $600 airplane ticket.

At halftime of the Iowa State-West Virginia game in 2012 at Jack Trice Stadium, Smith ran into Burnham as the teams headed toward their locker rooms.

"I was just walking," said Burnham, who was 71 in 2012. "He pushed me."

One of the first Cyclones on the scene was Wally's son, Shane, who coaches defensive tackles.

"We were holding for the West Virginia team to clear the field," Shane recalled Wednesday. "There was some extra-curricular activity after the last play of the half — Geno didn't appreciate something by somebody, and he took out his frustration on dad."

That didn't sit well with Shane, who did what every son would do.

"I reacted," Shane said. "Part of it is that it's your dad, and part of it is it's your Iowa State brother. It was family and football family for me. It was a double-whammy.

"He had some choice words for dad, and I might have had a few choice words in return."

Shane and Smith talked again on the field before the second half.

"We had a follow-up conversation," Shane said.

Was it nice?

"We continued the conversation," Shane said.

After the game, Cyclones linebacker Jake Knott tweeted:

"G. Smith trying to push over Coach W Burnham at half was the most classless thing I've seen. Esp. from a "leader" #GrowUp"

So after West Virginia won 31-24, did Smith apologize to Wally Burnham?

"You think so?" he responded.

That's a no.