Who is going to be our #3 WR ? ? ?

kelly

Just now, Mike135 said:

It's QB dependant, but I'm thinking there's a good chance Devin lives up to the hype this season with Geno

Geno = good things for Devin and Peake

Fitz = good for Q

Marshall, Decker and Amaro will get theirs regardless.

I hope your right but I'm worried Devin is the new Stephen Hill.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Based off the three games Devin Smith played in? Didn't he catch nearly every ball that wasn't severly underthrown to him?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

And Stephen Hill caught two touchdowns and 89 yards in his first ever game.

18 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

I hope your right but I'm worried Devin is the new Stephen Hill.

Seems too early to say that imo.  If we're discussing him the same way a year from now... then yeah I'd start to worry.

For now though, I look at his college years and definitely see talent.  Then figure a rough pairing QB wise for his skill set (though he still has to produce, no excuse), and two great WRs in front of him his rookie year. 

I'm not overly concerned yet.  Looking forward to seeing this offense explode with him, Amaro and Forte in the mix now.

Amaro showed a lot of promise as a redzone threat for us in his rookie year. Vick hit him in the back of the endzone in the steelers game and geno hit him with a jump ball fade in the denver game. The kid has the size and hands to be the 3rd option from inside the 20 and could turn us into one of the best redzone offenses in the game.

From 20 to 20, I have to say its going to be a mixture depending on our opponents with a rotation of Thompkins, Enunwa ( maybe Peake, maybe) and mr. do it all Forte. Should see the ball moved to a lot more targets this year, should be an exciting dynamic performance from the offense if geno can get the ball out.

On July 9, 2016 at 6:37 AM, BowlesMovement said:

I don't think I have ever seen you be right on anything, so I think Forte could be expected to have a very good season this year.

To be honest, he's certainly not going to be a better RB than he has been. His production did slow down a little last year n it's not far fetched to assume he won't be the same '1800-yard from scrimmage' Forte.  If he can repeat what he did last year, maybe catch a few more passes, It'll be pretty good. 

6 minutes ago, j4jets said:

To be honest, he's certainly not going to be a better RB than he has been. His production did slow down a little last year n it's not far fetched to assume he won't be the same '1800-yard from scrimmage' Forte.  If he can repeat what he did last year, maybe catch a few more passes, It'll be pretty good. 

Forte will probably do what Ladainian Tomlinson did for us

i think one guy to watch is jalen marshall.  they have a bunch of big guys, with brandon marshall, decker, enunwa, amaro and even peake.  jalin isn't small, he's 5'11" i think, but he was a real good punt returner at ohio state and his shiftiness would really round out the wr corps.  

17 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Who is the third WR?

One of Enunwa/Devin

Forte will probably do what Ladainian Tomlinson did for us

Hopefully like the LT of the first 6 games and not the LT of the last 26 games.

-- The New York Jets have no practice on Monday, Day 5 of training camp -- a good time for an early stock watch :

RISERS

Jalin Marshall, wide receiver: An undrafted rookie usually doesn't create a buzz among veteran teammates this early in camp, but the former Ohio State player has people talking. They rave about his attentiveness in the classroom, how he's always asking smart questions. Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick praised Marshall for his football IQ, assuming he played quarterback at some point in his career. (He's right; he was a dual-threat quarterback in high school.) He makes a few plays every practice, including some with the starting offense. Let's not put him in Canton just yet (he actually grew up about three hours from Canton), but keep an eye on the silky-smooth wideout. In case you're wondering, he's not related to fellow receiver Brandon Marshall.

rest of above article : 

>  http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/61639/jets-may-have-new-formula-at-receiver-two-marshalls-are-better-than-one

~ ~  5. Happy Valley surprise: The Jets fell in love with Hackenberg during a clandestine workout in State College, Pennsylvania, in early April. One of Hackenberg's receivers that day was Kyle Williams, a well-traveled, oft-injured veteran looking for a team. He received a non-roster invite to a Jets minicamp, performed well enough to land a contract and has turned a few heads in training camp. It would be quite a story if he makes the team.

rest of above article : 

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/61623/an-inside-look-at-the-out-in-ryan-fitzpatricks-contract-with-jets

Forte is a part-time player at this stage of his career.  I don't think Decker and Marshall can carry out offense again by themselves like they did last year.

Guess we will see but I expect Forte to be a serious contender for most catches by RB

-- Moments before the start of the New York Jets' first training camp practice, wide receiver Kyle Williams walked over to Todd Bowles and shared a few words from the heart.

"This," Williams told the coach, "is the best place to be in the world right now."

In the middle of New Jersey, sweating on a brutally hot summer day? Really?

For a player who spent 42 of the last 48 months rehabbing major injuries, who endured the worst kind of fan reaction after fumbling two punt returns in the 2011 NFC Championship Game, and whose NFL stature fell so far that he was reduced to auditioning at a college quarterback's private workout ... well, New Jersey looks and feels better than the finest beach in Hawaii or the most breathtaking mountain in the Rockies.

"After you've had all the injuries, you feel so much more grateful to be out here," Williams said after a recent practice. "You cherish it. You start to appreciate it -- literally -- every time you come out here because it could be your last time."

Williams has experienced a few last times in his career, but he keeps coming back.

In 2012, his third season with the San Francisco 49ers, he tore an ACL. A year later, with the Kansas City Chiefs, he did it again. The next year, he broke his collarbone and separated a shoulder in the preseason. In 2015, with the Denver Broncos, he ruptured an Achilles tendon on the second day of training camp.

Left knee (twice). Left shoulder. Left Achilles.

Nothing went right.

"A lot of my loved ones had to talk me off the ledge a few times," Williams said. "I was saying, 'I'm done, I'm done,' and they're like, 'You're not done.'"Even though he needed a pep talk, Williams considers himself a resilient person. He wouldn't have made it this far if he weren't. He has spent more time in the operating room than some cast members on "Grey's Anatomy," and he's only 28 years old.

But nothing cut like the fallout from Jan. 22, 2012.

Returning punts for the 49ers, Williams suffered one of the worst days imaginable on one of the biggest stages. His two fumbles were costly, including one in overtime that set up the winning field goal for the New York Giants, who went on to win the Super Bowl.The reaction on Twitter was ugly, including death threats to Williams. He played with a banged-up shoulder, subbing for the injured Ted Ginn Jr., but small-minded fans didn't care. They vilified Williams, who handled it remarkably well.

And still does.

"I swear, whenever I tell people about this ... I think they think I'm burying it or something," Williams said, smiling. "Everybody makes a bigger deal about it than I do. The guys in that locker room came to me genuinely and told me they supported me and backed me -- and those are the guys I worried about. They were there for me."That whole process taught me a whole lot and I think I grew a lot. The road back from that wasn't easy -- the stuff I had to take wasn't easy -- but I think it molded me in a way that I have to be thankful for it and grateful for it."

Williams has brought that positive attitude to training camp, hoping to capitalize on a long-shot chance that began when he received interest from the Jets in early April. He was in Chicago with his family -- his father, Ken Williams, is the executive vice president of the White Sox -- when he got the call.He was told to fly to State College, Pennsylvania, for a tryout. As it turned out, he caught passes from Christian Hackenberg during the Penn State quarterback's clandestine, pre-draft workout for the Jets. That led to a non-roster tryout at minicamp, which led to a contract (a one-year deal with no guaranteed money). He has already made a few big plays in training camp, including a hookup with Hackenberg.

"He showed some quickness and he shows some skill, and he looked like a good guy to throw in the mix to compete with these other guys," Bowles said.Williams' background as a punt and kickoff returner will help his chances. Making the team won't be easy, but his NFL experience (47 career receptions) will help. Teammates have noticed his playmaking ability. His goal is to make a big play every day and, of course, stay healthy.

"It's good not to be home," he said, smiling.

>       http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/61670/jets-wr-kyle-williams-overcomes-hurt-and-hate-finds-paradise-in-jersey

Confidence isn’t a problem for Jalin Marshall. He’s got plenty of it, believing he belongs so much and talking so frequently about how he wants to help the Jets, it would seem he has no worries about making the team.That’s why he left Ohio State following his red-shirt sophomore year. He felt he was ready for the NFL. But perhaps that’s why the draft was so important for the shifty and speedy wide receiver.

Nobody selected him.

“I think it was good for me,” Marshall said following practice Wednesday. “It allowed me to open my eyes, show me I got a long way to go. Ohio State, winning program, you feel like you’ve done something, but you get a reality check.”

The Jets called the 5-foot-10 Marshall during the fifth round. They wanted to bring him in as an undrafted free agent if he wasn’t selected. By the time the draft ended, Marshall was already a Jet, joining former Buckeyes teammates Darron Lee and Devin Smith.In the early going of training camp, Marshall has shown, perhaps, he should have been selected. He hasn’t been treated like an undrafted free agent, getting first-team reps through the first six practices of training camp while also getting an extended look as a punt and kick returner. The torn ACL Smith suffered last December could help Marshall make the team, as the fifth receiver behind Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, Kenbrell Thompkins and Quincy Enunwa.

“I feel like every day you got to come out here and prove you belong, prove you can help the team win,” Marshall said. “Everybody belongs here, but not everybody can help the team win. That’s something I would like to continue to prove.”

Still, coach Todd Bowles didn’t want to get carried away. For as well as Marshall has performed in the early going of training camp, it’s still only a handful of practices.“[We] got to see him when the lights come on,” Bowles said. “He’s done some good things in practice so far. When the lights come on, some people shy away, some people step up. I’ll be eager to see him when we start playing [games].”

Marshall smiled when told of Bowles’ comment. At Ohio State, the lights are always on, he said. Marshall played big in some of the Buckeyes’ biggest games — he was a focal part of their 2014 national championship — and produced 13 touchdowns in two seasons while averaging 13.2 yards per catch and 37 receptions a season.“I’ll keep working hard, and next week when they do turn the lights on,” he said, “I’ll be prepared to put on a show and prove myself.

“I think of all this as a dream come true, a blessing to me. Not everybody gets this opportunity, whether being drafted or undrafted. You still got to make the most of it.”No matter what happens, Marshall doesn’t plan on forgetting the slights, how the entire league passed on him, all the criticism he heard for leaving school with years of eligibility left.“I left school early, didn’t get drafted. A lot of people didn’t think I was going to make it. A lot of people didn’t think I would be here today,” he said. “So that’s just motivation to me, help this team win, and do the best I can be on this field.

“I got a chip on my shoulder. Everybody knows that.”

> http://nypost.com/2016/08/03/after-nfl-draft-diss-rookie-wr-proving-a-threat-for-jets/

more re our WR dept. ~ ~ 

Jets WR  Titus Davisicon-article-link.gif  has left camp. To replace Davis on the 90-man roster, the Jets have acquired WR Chris King on waivers.

King (6'1", 200) was a four-year wideout for Duquesne University, compiling 175 receptions for 2,574 yards (14.7 yards/catch) and 24 touchdowns over his last three seasons from 2012-15. He was signed as an undrafted free agent by Arizona after the draft but was waived by the Cardinals in June.

Davis, the first player in NCAA FBS history with eight-plus receiving TDs in each of four seasons, went from Central Michigan to Chargers camp to the practice squads of the Jets, Bills and back to the Jets last year.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-9/Jets-Have-Exchange-of-WRs-on-Roster/3d463ffb-0398-4740-a7ab-9b1d48e3e109

— It's the million-dollar question. What exactly is the Jets' Quincy Enunwa? A receiver, or h-back?

The answer ? Both. And that's perfectly fine with him.

"I just like to play, man," Enunwa told NJ Advance Media last week. 

A 6-2, 225-pound chiseled, athletic freak, Enunwa is one of the more interesting players on the Jets' roster. He was selected in the sixth round of the 2014 NFL Draft, spent most of his rookie season on the practice squad, then last year worked himself into a prominent role on offense. It just wasn't as a receiver. Enunwa played h-back. 

With tight ends Jeff Cumberland (now with the San Diego Chargers) and Kellen Davis struggling to make an impact, the Jets started subbing in Enunwa. He played right up at the line of scrimmage. Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick would then check to different plays based on who was covering Enunwa. 

If it was a linebacker, the Jets would throw and let Enunwa burn him with his speed — he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.44 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine. If a safety or cornerback was on him, the Jets would run and let Enunwa block — he bench-pressed 225 pounds 19 times. Enunwa finished the year with 22 receptions for 315 yards. 

The expectation heading into 2016 was that Enunwa would reprise his role. In training camp, though, he's been playing much more slot receiver with Eric Decker and Brandon Marshall split wide. Only a handful of times has he lined up near the line. "I wouldn't say it's a new role, per say," Enunwa said. "This is very similar to what I was doing at the beginning of last year. I played this, then they needed me at h-back, so they moved me around a lot more. Right now, I'm playing mostly receiver, but if they need me to move around, they know I can do both.

"There honestly isn't much of a difference. The positions people saw me in last year, I can still do those positions. I'm just not there right now. In games, we'll see what works against certain teams, then go back-and-forth with it."There's been another sharp change in Enunwa outside of his new position: He's catching everything thrown his way.The Jets targeted Enunwa 46 times in 12 games last year. He dropped five of those passes, according to FOX Sports. To put that number in perspective, Atlanta Falcons star wideout Julio Jones was targeted 203 times and dropped only six.

Enunwa said he does work on his hands after practice —he'll catch over 100 balls from the jugs machine — but that's not what's led to the improvement. It's nothing physical at all. Enunwa said it's all mental."I let playing in the NFL overwhelm me," Enunwa explained. "I would go out there and rush to make a play. I was making all these hard grabs, the diving ones, but then dropping the easy stuff. Now I'm focused on if the ball's right there, just catch it."

A more experienced, sure-handed, versatile Enunwa? That has the potential to be a fun toy for Fitzpatrick to play with. 

And Enunwa can't wait. 

"The grind started the day camp started," Enunwa said. "That's what pushes me."

>         http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/is_the_jets_quincy_enunwa_a_wide_receiver_or_h-bac.html#incart_river_index

All this extra work on the jugs machine is great for technique but nothing beats getting actual throws from your Qb's under non ideal conditions.

For me it's the same as it has always been, catching the ball.  Whomever displays the best hands as the #3 guy I'd like to see get the most time, blocking and such is secondary, important also?  Yes but there is nothing that kills an offense than dropped passes.

26 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

My guess is Enunwa will play outside a lot across from Marshall with plenty of Decker in the slot

We'll see where the season takes us from there....

No, they like him in the slot because of his run blocking.  You have a big advantage during running plays when he's playing the slot because he's going to wipe the CB out of the play.

Archived