Sanchez/Geno stat that sadly comes as no surprise

AFJF

Just saw this tweet on ESPN/Cimini re-tweet.

The Broncos presumably are not surprised by Mark Sanchez this summer. Only JaMarcus Russell and Geno Smith have higher INT rates out 45 qualifying QBs since 2009. Only Rex Grossman, John Skelton and Kerry Collins have worse turnover-to-snaps ratios than Sanchez since Sanchez entered the league (min. 1000 snaps).

And to think we had Geno and Sanchez battling it out while Rex was on the sideline and Tanny was the GM. A true horror story. Thank God those dark days are over. 

You know what, us Jets fans endured so much, at some point luck should just turn around for ****s sake. We paid our dues with the horrible quartet of Tanny, Rex, Geno and Sanchez already 

10 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

And to think we had Geno and Sanchez battling it out while Rex was on the sideline and Tanny was the GM. A true horror story. Thank God those dark days are over. 

You know what, us Jets fans endured so much, at some point luck should just turn around for ****s sake. We paid our dues with the horrible quartet of Tanny, Rex, Geno and Sanchez already 

True...but nobody's got it worse than Browns fans.

54 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Just saw this tweet on ESPN/Cimini re-tweet.

The Broncos presumably are not surprised by Mark Sanchez this summer. Only JaMarcus Russell and Geno Smith have higher INT rates out 45 qualifying QBs since 2009. Only Rex Grossman, John Skelton and Kerry Collins have worse turnover-to-snaps ratios than Sanchez since Sanchez entered the league (min. 1000 snaps).

weapinz? i mean denver only has 2 pro bowl WRs and a pro bowl RB. how can you expect Sanchez to succeed with those terrible targets? until i see sanchez or geno throwing to randy moss and jerry rice in their primes, then i just can't fairly evaluate them and we have to keep giving them opportunities.

Jamarcus Russell and geno smith... It's laughable that an "NFL writer" would be pushing this as some kind of astute observation given the fact that neither player has a significant volume of pass attempts. but it is surprising that such a hardcore fitz lover would be talking about interception percentage given that Rex grossman/derek anderson/mark sanchez are the only veteran players with a worse rating. but whatever suits your shallow agenda I guess

2 hours ago, cant wait said:

Jamarcus Russell and geno smith... It's laughable that an "NFL writer" would be pushing this as some kind of astute observation given the fact that neither player has a significant volume of pass attempts. but it is surprising that such a hardcore fitz lover would be talking about interception percentage given that Rex grossman/derek anderson/mark sanchez are the only veteran players with a worse rating. but whatever suits your shallow agenda I guess

matt-_5.jpg

8 hours ago, cant wait said:

Horrible QB's never get the chance to have "significant volume" of passes.  You know....because they're terrible, get coaches and GM's fired, and then get passed over on the depth chart.

You only get one shot in the NFL, maybe two.  Then that's it.  Either you perform or you don't.  Geno is in the latter group.  Sorry to break that to you, but the rest of us have known this to be common knowledge for a while now.

10 hours ago, jgb said:

Sure we can. If he hit on sanchez, no Geno. :P

You have that emoticon there, but I think you actually make a fair point.  So much was invested in the Sanchez pick, the failure of it continues to hurt this team even now.  Having to turn to Smith, who might not even have been drafted if Sanchez was living up to his draft status, set the team back even further. 

What move in the last ten years has hurt this team more?  Can't think of any.

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Horrible QB's never get the chance to have "significant volume" of passes.  You know....because they're terrible, get coaches and GM's fired, and then get passed over on the depth chart.

You only get one shot in the NFL, maybe two.  Then that's it.  Either you perform or you don't.  Geno is in the latter group.  Sorry to break that to you, but the rest of us have known this to be common knowledge for a while now.

8 hours ago, cant wait said:

Just for clarification- are you saying Jamarcus Russell didnt get a fair opportunity?

20 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

How much longer did he have to suck for you to be convinced he sucks? 

Geno smith sucks. Happy? However I'm not the one claiming there to be significant statistics worthy of discussion from these small sample sizes. Generally 1000 pass attempts is the usual standard used. you'd really have to be either stupid or desperate to try and paint this as valid analysis. given this is coming from cimini I'm not surprised though 

3 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Geno smith sucks. Happy? However I'm not the one claiming there to be significant statistics worthy of discussion from these small sample sizes. Generally 1000 pass attempts is the usual standard used. you'd really have to be either stupid or desperate to try and paint this as valid analysis. given this is coming from cimini I'm not surprised though 

Sh*tty QB's don't get to throw 1,000 passes before they get benched, usually.  Unless the coach is Rex Ryan and the QB is Mark Sanchez.  You do realize these coaches see these QB's throwing tons of passes in practice too, right? 

1 minute ago, cant wait said:

Geno smith sucks. Happy? However I'm not the one claiming there to be significant statistics worthy of discussion from these small sample sizes. you'd really have to be either stupid or desperate to try and paint this as valid analysis. given this is coming from cimini I'm not surprised though 

The sample size is one thing, the other is its just stupid.

4 years into his career, Mark Sanchez was throwing more INT's than TD's.  3 years into his career, Russell was still throwing more INT's than TD's.

Geno in his 2nd year, didnt throw more INT's than TD's.  Last year, in his one game, he was 2:1.  

And whether you think Geno stinks or not, his rookie season he played on the worst offense I've legit ever seen in my entire life.  I think most of us can agree on that.

Put it this way, if Troy Aikman started playing in 2009, he'd been in the lead for this conversation.

It took Ryan Fitzpatrick 6 years to throw more TD's than INT's.

It's a stupid irrelevant stat. 

Sanchez, Russell and Smith stink but this stat is stupid. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sh*tty QB's don't get to throw 1,000 passes before they get benched, usually.  Unless the coach is Rex Ryan and the QB is Mark Sanchez.  You do realize these coaches see these QB's throwing tons of passes in practice too, right? 

Our starting QB did. His stats werent impressive leading up to his 1,000 passes and it was much worse during his first 600+ passes. 

I think @cant wait has a point here. By all accounts Ryan FItzpatrick has become a beloved QB here in NY in his 11th season, yet by his 5th season his first 600+ passes would mark him as a sh*tty QB.  

Review Ryan Fitzpatrick's career post 600 passes and you'll see he's had a completely different career in comparison. 

The tweet was nonsense and was just a shot at current/former Jets QB's by comparing them to one of the biggest busts in NFL history. 

**** Cimini

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sad but true. I will no longer defend Geno as a victim of REX etc.   He simply is unable to or has not been able to perform when given the chance.  He hasnt got the cerebral volume for the game as a QB. 

BTW... do you go to HUSK with the Wilmington group?

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How did our current starting QB make it through 12 seasons ??

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What are you basing this on? It's not uncommon at all for sh*tty QB's to have 1000 PA. Shaun hill, tavaris jackson, vince young, derek anderson, christian ponder, and this year both brian hoyer and Brandon weeden could easily break 1000 career PA as backups. And as for russell/smith, their failures speak for themselves that's not the question here. my point is that neither of these examples used has an adequate sample size to pull any significant statistics from, but I doubt that was cimini's intent with this anyway

11 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

How did our current starting QB make it through 12 seasons ??

Probably a better question for all of the GMs who have traded for and/or signed him while having him start over 100 games.  Most recent NFL exec of the year included.

15 hours ago, AFJF said:

True...but nobody's got it worse than Browns fans.

That's because the Browns are run by a man that acts as if he were one of the "fans" on this board.

Grab the biggest names. Trade away your assets prematurely. Tell the GM, and coaches who to sit, and who to play. Fire the coach every 2 years, and the GM every 3. 

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Please.... Tanny was horrible.  His good drafts, IMO, were under Mangini.   When left to REX, he was exposed as the lawyer/accountant /intern he was.

Tanny drafted Vlad when on that field was Victor Cruz. 

Why waste a pick on Victor Cruz? Reading this thread tells you the Jets didn't have anyone who could throw him the ball.

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Our starting QB did. His stats werent impressive leading up to his 1,000 passes and it was much worse during his first 600+ passes. 

I think @cant wait has a point here. By all accounts Ryan FItzpatrick has become a beloved QB here in NY in his 11th season, yet by his 5th season his first 600+ passes would mark him as a sh*tty QB.  

Review Ryan Fitzpatrick's career post 600 passes and you'll see he's had a completely different career in comparison. 

The tweet was nonsense and was just a shot at current/former Jets QB's by comparing them to one of the biggest busts in NFL history. 

**** Cimini

Fitz' stats while not good were absolutely fantastic compared to the QBs we've been trotting out. If you actually watched the games instead of reading the stats you would see that Fitz was not nearly as inconsistant as them either. It's far better to be average most of the time then very good in spurts then melt down at some point almost every game. 

Fitz has barely passable physical traits, and decent decision making. He also has off the charts pre snap diagnoses, and interpersonal skills. This makes him a mid level QB with no upside, but also a stabilizing figure. Most years that is good enough to be a starter on some team without a stud prospect, or an established vet. He has also slowly gotten more crafty over the years. 

This is why he moves from team to team when they want to develop a "franchise" guy. It's why he will most likely move on next year, but he will find somewhere to start again.

Sanchez, and Geno will most likely not start anywhere next year. The main reason is that no one feels comfortable with them and their insecurities are infectious. You can see the transformation of the entire team when they step on to the field. 

13 minutes ago, De-Jet-Erate/Duane said:

Why waste a pick on Victor Cruz? Reading this thread tells you the Jets didn't have anyone who could throw him the ball.

Have you seen Vlad?  My mom would have been a better pick.  Perhaps a few of the lineman would have gawked at her 70 year old breasts to slow them down. :)

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This guy says hello

alexsmith.jpg

11 minutes ago, King P said:

This guy says hello

alexsmith.jpg

Sam Bradford would have been a better example, since at least Smith made the best of opportunity # 2, when he got to play under Harbaugh.  The Bradford experiment has failed time and again, yet regime after regime keeps giving him chances.

# 1 overall pick QB's tend to get some special treatment.  But outside a few exceptions, my statement was true.

1 hour ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Fitz' stats while not good were absolutely fantastic compared to the QBs we've been trotting out. If you actually watched the games instead of reading the stats you would see that Fitz was not nearly as inconsistant as them either. It's far better to be average most of the time then very good in spurts then melt down at some point almost every game. 

Fitz has barely passable physical traits, and decent decision making. He also has off the charts pre snap diagnoses, and interpersonal skills. This makes him a mid level QB with no upside, but also a stabilizing figure. Most years that is good enough to be a starter on some team without a stud prospect, or an established vet. He has also slowly gotten more crafty over the years. 

This is why he moves from team to team when they want to develop a "franchise" guy. It's why he will most likely move on next year, but he will find somewhere to start again.

Sanchez, and Geno will most likely not start anywhere next year. The main reason is that no one feels comfortable with them and their insecurities are infectious. You can see the transformation of the entire team when they step on to the field. 

What games? I watched Fitz when he he was a Bill when the games were available. When he became a Jet I watched all his games available on game pass. You know what I saw? A guy who I could relate to a person putting up points in basketball during garbage time. Fitz had some solid games against below average to bad teams. He looked like a liability against quality teams. 

To call that "absolutely fantastic" in comparison is funny as hell. Geno nor Sanchez have looked like franchise guys but I can recall Fitz games and though he has looked better, it surely wasn't absolutely fantastic. 

Archived