trade deadline - Jets talking to cowboys

Dinamite

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/11/jets_trying_to_trade_sheldon_richardson_to_cowboys.html

This weekend, a source confirmed to NJ Advance Media that the Jets had taken calls regarding a possible trade for defensive end Sheldon Richardson. 

But apparently, they aren't just answering the phone.

According to a report from ESPN, the Jets have called the Cowboys to see if Dallas has any interest in acquiring the 2013 Defensive Rookie of the Year. The two teams have until 4 p.m. Tuesday (today) afternoon to get a deal done. 

Richardson, who will turn 26 next month, is on the trade block largely because of the Jets' surplus of 3-4 defensive ends. The team signed Muhammad Wilkerson to a long-term contract this offseason, and selected Leonard Wiliams with the No. 6 pick in the 2015 draft. Head coach Todd Bowles has experimented with ways to get Wilkerson, Richardson and Williams all on the field together, but nothing has really worked. 

If the Jets are willing to deal Richardson for a reasonable price, he's an interesting available name. He's young, immensely talented, and under contract for a reasonable price ($3.094 million cap hit this season, $8.069 million in 2017) these next two years. The issue? Many view him as a two-strike player. 

Jets midseason report card: Fs all around!

Jets midseason report card: Fs all around!

The first half of the season hasn't gone as the Jets would have liked

He was suspended four games last year after failing a drug test. He was suspended one game this year for an off-field incident involving street racing. 

Originally selected by the Jets in the first round of the 2013 draft, Richardson has established himself as one of the NFL's better defensive linemen. In his three-plus seasons, the 6-3, 294-pound playmaker has 207 total tackles, 18 sacks and four forced fumbles.

He was voted to the Pro Bowl in 2014. 

This year, Richardson has 28 tackles and 1.5 sacks playing a combination of defensive end, defensive tackle, inside linebacker and outside linebacker. 

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

Notice the article says the Jets initiated the call.   Does not seem like they are going to get much back if they do trade him.   

Well Collins got a high 3 which is essentially a 2. Richardson should get around the same, which it would be if Dallas made the deal

Richardson is a classic on the one hand, on the other hand kind of player.

On the one hand I think the guy is very good, quite possibly better than Wilkerson in the right system.

On the other hand he is going to want a truck load of money,

On the other hand we simply have played far better with either wilk or Richardson out so that the other guy can play his true position.

This really comes down to compensation in return. 

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Well Collins got a high 3 which is essentially a 2. Richardson should get around the same, which it would be if Dallas made the deal

No I think they are getting a low 3, they are getting a compensatory 3rd rounder which is at the end of the 3rd round are they not?

Just now, Beerfish said:

Just what we need another old running back.  Take a 2nd rounder or even a parcel of lower picks, 3rd and a 5th or something.

I've been having this discussion with friends. I hope you are right, but I think we are lucky to get a 3rd rounder for Sheldon thanks to his off the field nonsense. 

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No I think they are getting a low 3, they are getting a compensatory 3rd rounder which is at the end of the 3rd round are they not?

That's what I had read - it's not the Browns slotted 3rd round pick. it'll be an end-of-3rd-round pick.

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

would be awesome to finally have a #12 in a Jets uniform that is an all time great QB.  

I see what you did there.

Joe Namath is quickly becoming the new Fireman Ed.  Looking for social media to provide a payday, check.  Falsely thinks he represents the fanbase, check.  Incorrectly believes he is beloved by all, check.  Falsely believes the Jets will never turn their back on him, check.  Assumes he is immune to backlash, check.

SAR I

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Lions acquired CB Johnthan Banks from the Buccaneers for a seventh-round pick in 2018.

///not sure if I should respond to stupid post because Ape could be trolling and I dont want the interwebz to laugh at me if the Ape is trolling

Just now, SAR I said:

I see what you did there.

Joe Namath is quickly becoming the new Fireman Ed.  Looking for social media to provide a payday, check.  Falsely thinks he represents the fanbase, check.  Incorrectly believes he is beloved by all, check.  Falsely believes the Jets will never turn their back on him, check.  Assumes he is immune to backlash, check.

SAR I

With all due respect SAR I Namath has been dead on with is comments all this year.  

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

The NFL hasn't even awarded comp picks so it's gotta be conditional not comp.

No, it's a conditional 4th that can become the 3rd round comp pick when they get it. So they pick at the end of the 3rd, or beginning of 4th.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

With all due respect SAR I Namath has been dead on with is comments all this year.  

He is every year. He was for years with Rex, but nobody wanted to listen. He was right, just like me.

I am Joe Namath.

Archived