jetinsider/scout news

batman10023

1 hour ago, GKnight83 said:

You can debate this with my wife, the Psychiatrist who also has a PhD in Psychology.  You might like that.  She is also from Boston and a Patriots fan.

I've got one of those degrees and have done my fair share of neuropsychological testing.  It's not a matter of debate.  69 and below is categorized as "Extremely Low" but not necessarily non-verbal.  In the prior DSM, 55-70 is "Mild Mental Retardation," which does not necessitate nonverbal.  Many are nonverbal.  Simply pointing out that not all are.  My guess is your wife knows this, and something got mixed up in translation.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I've got one of those degrees and have done my fair share of neuropsychological testing.  It's not a matter of debate.  69 and below is categorized as "Extremely Low" but not necessarily non-verbal.  In the prior DSM, 55-70 is "Mild Mental Retardation," which does not necessitate nonverbal.  Many are nonverbal.  Simply pointing out that not all are.  My guess is your wife knows this, and something got mixed up in translation.

Did you have to bring REX into this????:D

On 2/1/2017 at 10:08 PM, SAR I said:

There was a popular adage about 10 years ago that "content is king".  That's where this get-rich-quick Scout nonsense came from.  That's not the case anymore.  Content has been replaced by Twitter.  People care more about the reactions of others to live events rather than the live events themselves.  Just look at JI.  Vibrant community, tons of traffic, people who want to hear others reactions to a niche and express themselves.  Take that pure idea and bundle it in a suite of boring articles across a dozen sports it gets lost, loses its focus.  It didn't matter if the UI was awful or not, the community realized it was being pimped out, sold out, and watered down, we're smart enough to know when we're being monetized.  We resented it, left to find what we lost-  that simple place run by fans, not suits.

SAR I

On 2/2/2017 at 9:59 AM, SAR I said:

Hear hear.

The blessing was that the destruction of JI led to the defection of the Hangar Clique to an independent site of their own, so JN was infused with some of the best JI contributors and very little of the junior high school popularity inside joke BS.  A year before JI was sold I had just about given up on sports forums as an entity, this place saved it for me.  JN is a dream, truly is.

SAR I

On 2/2/2017 at 11:09 AM, SAR I said:

And I'll tell you another indiscretion-  I don't think Sooth was Sean the few weeks leading up to the cut-over, I believe he signed an NDA, gave his login credentials to someone at Scout, got his check, disappeared, and they had one of their integration people pretend to be Sean and it's been that way ever since.

I suspect this because I was pretty upset and moderately anti-Scout and Sean went from scolding me in threads on the subject to coddling me, one day he was taking my post count to zero and considering me dead to him and the next day he PM'd me offering me a free lifetime VIP subscription for sticking with the community in the move.

SAR I

Your last point pretty much kills your hypothesis about content; the reason Sooth (and it was Sooth, not some conspiratorial doppelganger) was "coddling you" was because you provided content, much in the same way TMZ does. Your shtick was to antagonize the masses, often with contrarian commentary. This was often directed at those of us you rail against from the Hampur, thereby creating a reactionary back and forth that in turn drove up clicks on the site (and subsequent threads). Where Sooth missed the boat was hitching his wagon to whom he perceived to be 'serious' content makers, instead of acknowledging that his site had long ago stopped being one driven solely by that content. It's kind of like the kid who tries to act like things are on the up and up when his parents walk in the room; you're really fooling no one, so just own up to what you were doing (or who you are, for that matter). It's commonly referred to as "reading the room." I agree that as a whole, regardless of the type of poster you (collective) were, the realization of us all being sold out became quickly apparent.

You've certainly changed your tone since you've been here at JN, largely for the better. But do us all a favor and try to be consistent and truthful when revisiting the past, yours isn't the opinion many would share. There's plenty of quality posting being done at the Hampur, just not the type for which you care. And that's perfectly fine. For everyone. 

4 minutes ago, Jetworks said:

You've certainly changed your tone since you've been here at JN, largely for the better. But do us all a favor and try to be consistent and truthful when revisiting the past, yours isn't the opinion many would share. There's plenty of quality posting being done at the Hampur, just not the type for which you care. And that's perfectly fine. For everyone. 

Just want to go back on record as saying that JN and the Hampur have no problems. :)  I am not saying you suggested we did. Just putting out there that we are cool with the Hampurites. 

Just now, Maxman said:

Just want to go back on record as saying that JN and the Hampur have no problems. :)  I am not saying you suggested we did. Just putting out there that we are cool with the Hampurites. 

Absolutely, 100%. It's the reason I make multiple visits to this site on a daily basis. It's a different experience of a shared topic, which, like all things, provides one perspective. B)

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

Oh yeah? Well the Jerk Store called, and they're out of YOU!

52 minutes ago, Jetworks said:

Your last point pretty much kills your hypothesis about content; the reason Sooth (and it was Sooth, not some conspiratorial doppelganger) was "coddling you" was because you provided content, much in the same way TMZ does. Your shtick was to antagonize the masses, often with contrarian commentary. This was often directed at those of us you rail against from the Hampur, thereby creating a reactionary back and forth that in turn drove up clicks on the site (and subsequent threads). Where Sooth missed the boat was hitching his wagon to whom he perceived to be 'serious' content makers, instead of acknowledging that his site had long ago stopped being one driven solely by that content. It's kind of like the kid who tries to act like things are on the up and up when his parents walk in the room; you're really fooling no one, so just own up to what you were doing (or who you are, for that matter). It's commonly referred to as "reading the room." I agree that as a whole, regardless of the type of poster you (collective) were, the realization of us all being sold out became quickly apparent.

That's one interpretation of my stint at JI.  Here's another:

Normal Posters:  What I posted there and what I post here are the same thing.  The difference isn't in posting style or my often contrary points of view; it's that the JN crowd is looking to embrace debate and differing opinion whereas the JI crowd was intent to prove others wrong and belittle those they disagreed with.  Making it simple, there is no nasty culture on JN.  In fact, it mirrors real life-  people are tolerant, understand humor, enjoy the diversity, or they just avoid each other.  At JI, the whole place was nasty.  You'd start a thread, within minutes you were being called names, was worse than junior high school.  Almost exclusively because Sooth got bored with his job and turned his best posters into quick-triggered moderators who let the place turn into a zoo.  And of course you then have the.....

Hamper Posters:  These don't exist on JN.  There is no smarmy group of self-absorbed insiders with inside jokes who spill over from the OT forum to the main forum, certainly not moderators encouraging that dissension.  At JI you couldn't avoid the OT posters because they didn't like their low-traffic subforum, wasn't good enough, they needed the attention in the main forum.  Not so here.  There are very popular posters in the JN OT forum who I have never even heard from and I'm on this site very often.

What's happening on JN is there is no group of provocateurs stirring up needless trouble in the main forum, the OT posters have manners when they do come to the main forum, you have a site owner who is active and posts just like the rest of us, and the moderators here go out of their way to stay out of everyone's way instead of making themselves the star of the show getting off on banning people.  I used to be afraid to get into a debate with a JI moderator, here I do it all the time.  So if you view my lack of defending myself against personal attacks from immature spammers as "changing my tone for the better", well, that's not happening either.  I don't have to take shots at many people because there aren't many people taking shots at me.  And that's what's perfectly fine.  For everyone.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

That's one interpretation of my stint at JI.  Here's another:

Normal Posters:  What I posted there and what I post here are the same thing.  The difference isn't in posting style or my often contrary points of view; it's that the JN crowd is looking to embrace debate and differing opinion whereas the JI crowd was intent to prove others wrong and belittle those they disagreed with.  Making it simple, there is no nasty culture on JN.  In fact, it mirrors real life-  people are tolerant, understand humor, enjoy the diversity, or they just avoid each other.  At JI, the whole place was nasty.  You'd start a thread, within minutes you were being called names, was worse than junior high school.  Almost exclusively because Sooth got bored with his job and turned his best posters into quick-triggered moderators who let the place turn into a zoo.  And of course you then have the.....

Hamper Posters:  These don't exist on JN.  There is no smarmy group of self-absorbed insiders with inside jokes who spill over from the OT forum to the main forum, certainly not moderators encouraging that dissension.  At JI you couldn't avoid the OT posters because they didn't like their low-traffic subforum, wasn't good enough, they needed the attention in the main forum.  Not so here.  There are very popular posters in the JN OT forum who I have never even heard from and I'm on this site very often.

What's happening on JN is there is no group of provocateurs stirring up needless trouble in the main forum, the OT posters have manners when they do come to the main forum, you have a site owner who is active and posts just like the rest of us, and the moderators here go out of their way to stay out of everyone's way instead of making themselves the star of the show getting off on banning people.  I used to be afraid to get into a debate with a JI moderator, here I do it all the time.  So if you view my lack of defending myself against personal attacks from immature spammers as "changing my tone for the better", well, that's not happening either.  I don't have to take shots at many people because there aren't many people taking shots at me.  And that's what's perfectly fine.  For everyone.

SAR I

LOL, your interpretation is more than open to debate, trust me, especially as it relates to the content and style you employed on JI, but by all means keep running with that revisionist view. As for your assertion that there are no "Hamper" posters on JN, I would ask that you take a look at some of the posting history of the more prolific on here, owner included. 

Just as you don't want to be pigeonholed as an arrogant, self-absorbed, insensitive, elitist tool for your past posts (persona?), others don't want to be characterized as insular, smarmy posters simply because they lashed out at particular posters more often than others. It's a give and take thing. 

3 hours ago, gEYno said:

That's all nice and sh*t, but Jet fans aren't mildly retarded. They are their own unique brand of completely ******* retarded.

31 minutes ago, Jetworks said:

LOL, your interpretation is more than open to debate, trust me, especially as it relates to the content and style you employed on JI, but by all means keep running with that revisionist view. As for your assertion that there are no "Hamper" posters on JN, I would ask that you take a look at some of the posting history of the more prolific on here, owner included. 

Just as you don't want to be pigeonholed as an arrogant, self-absorbed, insensitive, elitist tool for your past posts (persona?), others don't want to be characterized as insular, smarmy posters simply because they lashed out at particular posters more often than others. It's a give and take thing.

Just as in real life, one speaks in different tones depending on how others are treating them.  If you find me more palatable here it's because the culture here is more palatable, not because I'm a different person.  My views on Pennington, Edwards, Favre, Ryan, and Sanchez are all the same here, nothing different except the fact that we can talk like adults here, there is no faux sensitivity, there is no hostility.

For the record I guess I can be an arrogant, self-absorbed, insensitive elitist tool.  It looks like they don't mind that here.  I find there are a few on JN who actually identify with my values.  Lots of luxury vehicles, PSL's, and executive salaries on JN, far fewer attention-seeking teenagers and spiteful grumpy curmudgeons playing the he-hurt-me safe space card.

The JI vs. JN thing seems to be important to you, it simply isn't to me.  I got over myself and the internet fame thing 10 years ago.  It's a shame what happened at JI but it wasn't Scout's fault; the place had gone to hell a full year before it got sold.  The changeover empowered hundreds of posters like me who were harassed on JI to find another forum, I'm very happy I found this one.  In the end, everyone is happy so I don't see the issue or the rationale for your criticism.  The Hangar is a better place without me there, JN is a better place without a Hangar-like undercurrent.  Win-win.

SAR I

18 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Just as in real life, one speaks in different tones depending on how others are treating them.  If you find me more palatable here it's because the culture here is more palatable, not because I'm a different person.  My views on Pennington, Edwards, Favre, Ryan, and Sanchez are all the same here, nothing different except the fact that we can talk like adults here, there is no faux sensitivity, there is no hostility.

For the record I guess I can be an arrogant, self-absorbed, insensitive elitist tool.  It looks like they don't mind that here.  I find there are a few on JN who actually identify with my values.  Lots of luxury vehicles, PSL's, and executive salaries on JN, far fewer attention-seeking teenagers and spiteful grumpy curmudgeons playing the he-hurt-me safe space card.

The JI vs. JN thing seems to be important to you, it simply isn't to me.  I got over myself and the internet fame thing 10 years ago.  It's a shame what happened at JI but it wasn't Scout's fault; the place had gone to hell a full year before it got sold.  The changeover empowered hundreds of posters like me who were harassed on JI to find another forum, I'm very happy I found this one.  In the end, everyone is happy so I don't see the issue or the rationale for your criticism.  The Hangar is a better place without me there, JN is a better place without a Hangar-like undercurrent.  Win-win.

SAR I

Completely respect this view, except for one thing; this (at least from my end) was never about JI vs anything, so I'm not sure where you got that from. Additionally, mine was an opinion of what led to the downfall of JI as it relates to its transition into a Scout entity in general, and your contradictory assertion that it was/wasn't content related in particular. That's it. 

Have a great rest of your day, I'll be sure to do the same.

3 minutes ago, Jetworks said:

Completely respect this view, except for one thing; this (at least from my end) was never about JI vs anything, so I'm not sure where you got that from. Additionally, mine was an opinion of what led to the downfall of JI as it relates to its transition into a Scout entity in general, and your contradictory assertion that it was/wasn't content related in particular. That's it. 

Have a great rest of your day, I'll be sure to do the same.

I was referring to how you viewed me personally on JI vs. JN and I was providing insight as to how the cultures of both sites are very different, thus how you could perceive me one way over there and a different way over here despite my being the same person posting the same platforms.

Since you were always one of the cool kids on JI I can see how you felt the place was awesome until the transition to Scout; for those not in the Hangar clique it was a very different story, we were oppressed over there, it was terrible.  For us, Scout was the best thing to happen to JI from a standpoint of forcing the community to splinter and seek their new resting places.  JN is the best of JI without the OT influence, it's a great benefit.

Have a good weekend.  Lease a new BMW.  That's what the cool kids in the real world do.

SAR I

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I was referring to how you viewed me personally on JI vs. JN and I was providing insight as to how the cultures of both sites are very different, thus how you could perceive me one way over there and a different way over here despite my being the same person posting the same platforms.

Since you were always one of the cool kids on JI I can see how you felt the place was awesome until the transition to Scout; for those not in the Hangar clique it was a very different story, we were oppressed over there, it was terrible.  For us, Scout was the best thing to happen to JI from a standpoint of forcing the community to splinter and seek their new resting places.  JN is the best of JI without the OT influence, it's a great benefit.

Have a good weekend.  Lease a new BMW.  That's what the cool kids in the real world do.

SAR I

Caddi > BMW

1 hour ago, Jetworks said:

Safe to say the Moderators (a good half-dozen of whom now reside at the Hampur) would have their own take on how Sooth ran the show, and about our good friend SAR I.

Whats funny, to me, is something rathe robvious that SAR is overlooking:  JetsNation WAS the Hampur before the Hampur name come to be.  Max and his cadre of fine folks were the JI Clique-Off Topic-Inside Joke-Hampur-style crowd back in the day, not really much different from the eventual Hampur crowd that followed.  So was the second great JN Exodus group, who generally replaced Max's folks in inside joke off-topic etc. threads.  The Hampur was generation III of that stuff.  I should know, I was a part of all these groups.

In the end tho, it doesn't matter.  Past is past, we should all be friends, and if SAR wants to hold a grudge against us old Mods (most of us tried out best at a thankless tiring job we certainly didn't get paid to do) that's all good.  Those of us who know.....know.  And SAR is an ok dude, was then, still is now.  He drives forum content like no other IMO.

Also:  Jetworks is the greatest Hampurite who ever lived and my good friend and brother of the Hampur single malt appreciation society.  He should post here more.

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

GM makes some nice cars.  I've rented a few CTS's in my travels, it's luxurious but heavy, doesn't handle like a properly-optioned BMW.

SAR I

Agreed.  Ya gotta jump to the Vsport models.  Or the V model if you're looking to compete with the 100k+ performance classes.

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Your perception was that I was one of the cool kids. Remember, we act accordingly to how we're treated; that street runs both ways bud. 

A BMW doesn't serve my purposes. As to what I do in the real world, well, I save lives, regardless of what people drive. And that's pretty cool.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Safe to say the Moderators (a good half-dozen of whom now reside at the Hampur) would have their own take on how Sooth ran the show, and about our good friend SAR I.

Whats funny, to me, is something rathe robvious that SAR is overlooking:  JetsNation WAS the Hampur before the Hampur name come to be.  Max and his cadre of fine folks were the JI Clique-Off Topic-Inside Joke-Hampur-style crowd back in the day, not really much different from the eventual Hampur crowd that followed.  So was the second great JN Exodus group, who generally replaced Max's folks in inside joke off-topic etc. threads.  The Hampur was generation III of that stuff.  I should know, I was a part of all these groups.

In the end tho, it doesn't matter.  Past is past, we should all be friends, and if SAR wants to hold a grudge against us old Mods (most of us tried out best at a thankless tiring job we certainly didn't get paid to do) that's all good.  Those of us who know.....know.  And SAR is an ok dude, was then, still is now.  He drives forum content like no other IMO.

Also:  Jetworks is the greatest Hampurite who ever lived and my good friend and brother of the Hampur single malt appreciation society.  He should post here more.

Thanks pal!!! You're terrific, wish you'd post more often over there, lol!

Munch, Bing, Ragu and Harrier are running the show. The decision was made to make it register only because the Guest traffic was killing us in the pocketbook. You can sign on with an account and join though.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Good post.  And, first off, let me say that I was a member of JI for 11 years and the first 9 of them were outstanding.  Sean was great, the mods were very fair, it was a lot of fun.  Then things changed, I've covered my opinion of that time, unfortunately it got mean-spirited.  But prior to that it was great.

Next, I've always been a one-forum guy and had no idea that the backstory of JN was Hangar-like, I was (am) completely oblivious about it.  Ironic.  I never bounced between forums, didn't spend any time here at all, registered years ago just to get the screen name in case it was needed and eventually it was.

I have no grudge against the mods of JI, in fact guys like Jetswin were very cool, couple of others too.  I guess I'd say I have a disappointment towards the JI moderators as a collective, most were my good friends for awhile, read my posts from my first 8 years you'll see people like PaulieC enjoying our banter thoroughly, his BMW riffs were as edgy as mine.  But eventually they became moderators, decided that hitting the ban button was easier than actually solving the root of the problem and/or actually were the problem.  Those last JI years you had your blind homers, you had your narcs, and you had your Hangar clique and those factions were allowed to run wild, uncontrolled.  Sean checked out, the mods were on their own, I get how hard it must have been to try to figure out who was right and who was wrong.  But unlike today's JN, it was necessary for JI to solve that riddle, it meant life or death for the forum, it simply wasn't done.  And you see the result.

Thank you for acknowledging that I'm a good guy, and as my all time second-favorite poster on JI you are too of course. 

SAR I

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Spot on.

I was 2nd wave. Jetworks is awesome. 3rd wave is the millennial attempt to recapture the lost magic of older generations.

46 minutes ago, Jetworks said:

Your perception was that I was one of the cool kids. Remember, we act accordingly to how we're treated; that street runs both ways bud. 

A BMW doesn't serve my purposes. As to what I do in the real world, well, I save lives, regardless of what people drive. And that's pretty cool.

Thanks pal!!! You're terrific, wish you'd post more often over there, lol!

Munch, Bing, Ragu and Harrier are running the show. The decision was made to make it register only because the Guest traffic was killing us in the pocketbook. You can sign on with an account and join though.

Is Jordy posting there still?

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

Patsfantx is better. Just saying, lol.

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

I never bounced between forums, didn't spend any time here at all, registered years ago just to get the screen name in case it was needed and eventually it was.

SAR I

You actually signed up here in the beginning, like a year in. Someone (a former admin, not me) gave you a really hard time. True story, you were flagged, again not by me, as being a different poster. You were flagged as being someone whose name rhymes with Ron Dayne.

We didn't have open borders back then. I apologize for the mixup. :) But ultimately it is all Tom Shane, I mean Ron Dayne's fault.

18 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Jay Mohr never did he still hates you..:)

45 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Jay Mohr never did he still hates you..:)

"Hey Sooth, it's Jay.  Hey, I'm doing a show at Foxwoods so I'm going to post for the first time in a year in the forums again, try to drive up ticket sales like we did last time, if I get 10 tickets sold I'll get you comped whiskey sours at the $3 blackjack table, good?"

SAR I

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

"Hey Sooth, it's Jay.  Hey, I'm doing a show at Foxwoods so I'm going to post for the first time in a year in the forums again, try to drive up ticket sales like we did last time, if I get 10 tickets sold I'll get you comped whiskey sours at the $3 blackjack table, good?"

SAR I

You say whiskey sours like it's a bad thing.

On 2/4/2017 at 10:40 AM, SAR I said:

SAR I

Alimony, it's what's for breakfast. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2017 at 10:40 AM, SAR I said:

SAR I

Interesting deal they had if that is true. :)

We protect the identities of our celebs here. We never told anyone what screen name Kevin James uses. Same for the Game of Thrones guys. People come here to be anonymous. 

Although we might have to let everyone know what PatsFanTx's new screen name is because he is getting out of control.

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

Interesting deal they had if that is true. :)

We protect the identities of our celebs here. We never told anyone what screen name Kevin James uses. Same for the Game of Thrones guys. People come here to be anonymous. 

Although we might have to let everyone know what PatsFanTx's new screen name is because he is getting out of control.

Any Jets post here?  Players or front office?

SAR I

On February 4, 2017 at 9:25 AM, Jetworks said:

Not since last May by the looks of it.

But I'm pretty sure we gained a Roger Vick (or facsimile thereof). So, there's that.

No idea if this refers to me (my profile pic) but I have never been on JI (afaik).  But I am enjoying reading this thread (even though I have no idea what a Hampur is). 

Archived