" the NFL's biggest surprises through 4 weeks, and what's next " ~ ~ ~

kelly

• Bill BarnwellESPN Staff Writer
  • We're essentially one quarter of the way through the 2017 NFL season. Twenty-eight of the league's 32 teams have played four games, with the Buccaneers and Dolphins taking an unexpected Week 1 bye as a result of Hurricane Irma, and the Chiefs and Washington finishing Week 4 on Monday Night Football. Four games doesn't seem like much, but when you consider that the typical team will line up for about 500 plays from scrimmage over a typical four-week period, we're getting plenty of data points on how they're going to play this season.
  • In some cases, those surprises will stick around for the remainder of the season. Others won't. By this time last season, Matt Ryan already led the league in passing yardage, which was the first hint of a season that would eventually earn him a totally unexpected MVP award. It also was a league in which Isaiah Crowell was second in rushing yardage, Marvin Jones was second in receiving yardage, and the Vikings were 4-0. Those changes weren't quite as sticky.Some things about the 2017 season haven't been all that surprising. The Packers and Steelers have been good. The Browns and 49ers have not. After the first four weeks of the season, though, there are quite a few things most of us didn't see coming. Many of them were reinforced during a wacky Sunday that saw six underdogs win before the late-afternoon games got into gear.
  •  
  • Let's look at 10 of the most surprising on-field elements of this NFL season so far and see if we can make some sense of whether they're likely to keep up the rest of the way. Among the 10 teams represented are the four members of the AFC East, the league's most topsy-turvy division after four weeks :

That is flat out ridiculous. I don't care who you are, shutting out any team for 59:59 is a great job no matter who is playing. And the Jags got several lucky breaks in the last game to even be able to keep it close. We don't make that stupid lateral pass and it is at least a 13 point Jet lead if not 17, and our receiver fell down on the INT that gave the Jags the chance to tie with the FG. I am not saying we are a great team, but at least give credit where it is due...

One side note, if this type of effort and play keeps up, I may have to actually give credit to the HC. So far they have been prepared, made appropriate adjustments, and most of all, have been shockingly competitive in all games, even Oakland, they were right there until that stupid fumbled punt.

3 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

That is flat out ridiculous. I don't care who you are, shutting out any team for 59:59 is a great job no matter who is playing. And the Jags got several lucky breaks in the last game to even be able to keep it close. We don't make that stupid lateral pass and it is at least a 13 point Jet lead if not 17, and our receiver fell down on the INT that gave the Jags the chance to tie with the FG. I am not saying we are a great team, but at least give credit where it is due...

One side note, if this type of effort and play keeps up, I may have to actually give credit to the HC. So far they have been prepared, made appropriate adjustments, and most of all, have been shockingly competitive in all games, even Oakland, they were right there until that stupid fumbled punt.

Lol they state in the article that we're  "a team whose margin of error to beat Jacksonville was razor-thin" and that's just a ludicrous statement. The Josh McCown worked hard to cost us that game. We took the margin of error and blew it up but still won. 

18 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Part I like is they call Powell's awesome hustle play a fluke but the lateral fumble for a touchdown by the Jags is just another day at the office. Dickheads

First thing I thought about. We missed a FG after a stupid 5 yard penalty. The lateral was as flukey as it gets & not only did Jax get 7 points from it, the Jets were in f*cking field goal range. That's a 10 point turnaround. So, a holding call took away a TD from Jax is flukey? Happens every week in this league, it's more common than lateral being picked up & ran in for a TD. Jets could have easily won that game by 16 points sans a freak play & missed FG.

Where do they find these idiots?

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Part I like is they call Powell's awesome hustle play a fluke but the lateral fumble for a touchdown by the Jags is just another day at the office. Dickheads

What else would you call a play where a running back's leg looked EXACTLY like it had been taken out with an outside force with momentum? If you ever see a play like that again, let me know. I'm sure I've seen backwards passes be counted as fumbles, however.

3 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

What else would you call a play where a running back's leg looked EXACTLY like it had been taken out with an outside force with momentum? If you ever see a play like that again, let me know. I'm sure I've seen backwards passes be counted as fumbles, however.

Exactly to who? Both announcers said he wasn't touched. Yes because it was only a fumble not a return for touchdown . Because those two things are practically identical. 

10 minutes ago, Maddog45 said:

We still suck but our record is better than our team , Miami didn't have tannehil we had to scrape a win on jax and the bilal td was some bullsh*t  luck , we need to lose every game or we're screwed for years to come

I guess it's unlucky for you that Powell didn't share the tank mentality and stay on the ground instead of realizing he wasn't touched and racing for the end zone . The fool ..........

2 hours ago, kelly said:
  • Bill BarnwellESPN Staff Writer
  • We're essentially one quarter of the way through the 2017 NFL season. Twenty-eight of the league's 32 teams have played four games, with the Buccaneers and Dolphins taking an unexpected Week 1 bye as a result of Hurricane Irma, and the Chiefs and Washington finishing Week 4 on Monday Night Football. Four games doesn't seem like much, but when you consider that the typical team will line up for about 500 plays from scrimmage over a typical four-week period, we're getting plenty of data points on how they're going to play this season.
  • In some cases, those surprises will stick around for the remainder of the season. Others won't. By this time last season, Matt Ryan already led the league in passing yardage, which was the first hint of a season that would eventually earn him a totally unexpected MVP award. It also was a league in which Isaiah Crowell was second in rushing yardage, Marvin Jones was second in receiving yardage, and the Vikings were 4-0. Those changes weren't quite as sticky.Some things about the 2017 season haven't been all that surprising. The Packers and Steelers have been good. The Browns and 49ers have not. After the first four weeks of the season, though, there are quite a few things most of us didn't see coming. Many of them were reinforced during a wacky Sunday that saw six underdogs win before the late-afternoon games got into gear.
  •  
  • Let's look at 10 of the most surprising on-field elements of this NFL season so far and see if we can make some sense of whether they're likely to keep up the rest of the way. Among the 10 teams represented are the four members of the AFC East, the league's most topsy-turvy division after four weeks :

What this idiot fails to mention was the Jets were dominating the Jags prior to the fluky lateral. If not for that one play, the Jets may have won by three scores.  How do you not call the Dolphin win impressive? Idiot!!

37 minutes ago, billo83 said:

Most of his comments are dumb,  but one thing I agreed with is the spike in OT. Very dumb and so vintage Bowles. This clown seriously needs to learn how to manage the clock before he can be considered a competent coach. 

Do you in truth think that Bowles called that play?  You think he makes the offensive play calls instead of the OC?

There are things to criticize Bowles about no doubt but not this....... 

12 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I guess it's unlucky for you that Powell didn't share the tank mentality and stay on the ground instead of realizing he wasn't touched and racing for the end zone . The fool ..........

Yes play for your own stats , do not play for the franchise and trusting the tank process...  I'm sure he could pull the same trick out of his ass every game and take us to the playoffs and win a ring right?

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Exactly to who? Both announcers said he wasn't touched. Yes because it was only a fumble not a return for touchdown . Because those two things are practically identical. 

The baby of Al Pacino and Mikhail Baryshnikov could not have performed that move and sold it if it were TRYING to. His leg went behind his ear like it was hit with a cannonball at Antietem. It's not surprising he wasn't touched.

Again, Crushlove, you will sooner see a backwards pass returned for a td than a play EXACTLY like Bilal Powell's. Richard Nixon's head in a jar will be announcing that game.

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

The baby of Al Pacino and Mikhail Baryshnikov could not have performed that move and sold it if it were TRYING to. His leg went behind his ear like it was hit with a cannonball at Antietem. It's not surprising he wasn't touched.

Again, Crushlove, you will sooner see a backwards pass returned for a td than a play EXACTLY like Bilal Powell's. Richard Nixon's head in a jar will be announcing that game.

Not me. I actually thought the ball was intercepted out of the air. I've seen many a play were people thought the runner was done and stop playing. That's the reason they say," play to the whistle." 

4 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Do you in truth think that Bowles called that play?  You think he makes the offensive play calls instead of the OC?

There are things to criticize Bowles about no doubt but not this....... 

Yes I do. It was a spike to kill the clock and terrible clock management = Bowles. Even if you don't believe that, clock management is ultimately the HC responsibility. It is Bowles responsibility to make sure his Coordinator and his QB's know what to do in situations like that. Come on this isn't rocket science, this should be fundamental for a competent Head Coach.

21 hours ago, Maddog45 said:

We still suck but our record is better than our team , Miami didn't have tannehil we had to scrape a win on jax and the bilal td was some bullsh*t  luck , we need to lose every game or we're screwed for years to come

"..we need to lose every game or we're screwed for years to come "... agreed !  :(

21 hours ago, Maddog45 said:

Yes play for your own stats , do not play for the franchise and trusting the tank process...  I'm sure he could pull the same trick out of his ass every game and take us to the playoffs and win a ring right?

STFU and go away!  Yea, the selfish powell actually scoring a TD. The nerve of him doing what he is paid to do. 

Archived