why did erik "the great" coleman fade so fast?

Blackout

I don't know as much as he "faded" but the Jets already had a ball hawk safety in Rhodes.

I think one safety should be a ball hawk and the other should be a killing machine. i.e Brian Dawkins, John Lynch.

Coleman will probably do better in Atlanta.

I don't know as much as he "faded" but the Jets already had a ball hawk safety in Rhodes.

I think one safety should be a ball hawk and the other should be a killing machine. i.e Brian Dawkins, John Lynch.

Do we have that killing machine here in Elam?

Good post. I agree. I think Coleman is a quality safety, he just is not a good match with Rhodes. Coleman is also not the fastest guy so he won't be a premiere player, but IMO he'll have a long career. He also had some nagging things that have slowed him in camp the last couple of years, like the appendectomy.

Do we have that killing machine here in Elam?

I don't know about killing machine, but Elam and Smith are certainly more in that mode than Coleman. Elam in particular. I think you want the safety from that spot to be like a missle.

Erik "the great" was overrated from day one based on his initial interception numbers and the fact that he started from day one. He is a pretty average safety who lacks catch-up speed.

Agreed. Average starting caliber safety. Plenty of worse guys playing in the NFL, but you can always upgrade. IMO, Baker is at a similar skill level.

Agreed. Average starting caliber safety. Plenty of worse guys playing in the NFL, but you can always upgrade. IMO, Baker is at a similar skill level.

No way. Baker pulls down a lot of tough grabs, and makes all the easy ones, he's also a decent blocker. Coleman isn't 'good' at any one thing, but is average to below average in basically everything.

I would love to see Baker get between 30 and 40 catches this year, i think it's very possible if coles is gone and with the new O-line. I expect to see baker going out on almost every passing down that he is on the field.

No way. Baker pulls down a lot of tough grabs, and makes all the easy ones, he's also a decent blocker. Coleman isn't 'good' at any one thing, but is average to below average in basically everything.

I would love to see Baker get between 30 and 40 catches this year, i think it's very possible if coles is gone and with the new O-line. I expect to see baker going out on almost every passing down that he is on the field.

30-40 catches? Dare we dream? That's been his production the last two seasons. IMO they are both adequate. Nothing more. I guess adequate is a little better for an offensive player because it means when dealing with superior player you just don't see the ball, while the defensive player is beaten like a redheaded stepchild.

Archived