Pennington says he would back up Sanchez..

Steveg

Chad Pennington willing to return to New York Jets to backup Mark Sanchez

BY Rich Cimini

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, February 5th 2010, 4:00 AM

FORT LAUDERDALE - Chad Pennington, he of the thrice-repaired throwing shoulder, isn't ready to call it a career. The popular former Jets quarterback intends to play in 2010, even as a backup, and he's willing to consider any offer.

Even from the Jets.

While acknowledging it "would be tough" to return to the team that fired him only 19 months ago, Pennington - an unrestricted free agent in four weeks - told the Daily News Thursday he would definitely listen if GM Mike Tannenbaum called.

"I'd be crazy not to be interested," the current Dolphin said at a youth-football clinic, one of many NFL-sponsored events during Super Bowl week. "Once you think you're too big where you can't entertain every opportunity, you'd better be careful because you'll be looking from the outside in."

Pennington, who was dumped in August 2008 to make room for Brett Favre, sounded like he prefers to stay in Miami as Chad Henne's backup. But the Dolphins have remained noncommittal, so Pennington is preparing to play the free-agent game.

But the Jets? Pennington, who admitted he still gets "a little upset" on occasion when he reflects on his breakup in New York, conceded that a return would require some pride-swallowing.

"Would it be tough? Sure it would be tough, emotionally, but it's always a possibility," he said. "I never rule anything out. Absolutely."

The Jets are committed to Mark Sanchez, but Tannenbaum, in his end-of-the-season news conference, didn't dismiss the possibility of acquiring an experienced backup.

Even though Kellen Clemens won his only start in 2009, filling in when Sanchez was injured, he was underwhelming and didn't win the confidence of the organization. He also has fallen behind Sanchez in terms of experience (nine career starts to Sanchez's 18), and the team would like a seasoned backup who can be a mentor to their still-maturing franchise quarterback.

Clemens will be a restricted free agent under the current CBA, and the Jets intend to tender him at the second-round level (his draft round). But that doesn't guarantee a roster spot.

Because Pennington still is under contract to the Dolphins, the Jets aren't allowed to comment on potential interest. But Tannenbaum always has held Pennington in the highest regard. When he traded for Favre, he did Pennington a favor by releasing him instead of making a trade, giving him a chance to pick his next team - a move that backfired on the Jets. Pennington led the Dolphins to the AFC East title in 2008.

The big question, as always, is Pennington's health. He suffered a season-ending shoulder injury in Week 3, requiring arthroscopic surgery for the second time. It also was scoped in 2005, which followed major surgery on his rotator cuff in 2004. He never had the strongest arm, and the cumulative effect of three operations raises serious questions.

This time there was no rotator cuff damage and Pennington, who admitted he considered retiring after the injury, is encouraged by his chances of a full recovery.

"I'm not totally where I want to be, but I can see the progress," said Pennington, who turns 34 in June.

Pennington has been throwing for about five weeks, and he's up to three days a week. His goal is to be 100% by the start of free agency, so he can audition for interested teams. One intriguing possibility is the Cardinals, who lost Kurt Warner to retirement and don't seem convinced that Matt Leinart can do the job.

No team is going to hand Pennington a starting spot, and he's okay with that.

"There's always flexibility and I think there's always a need for good quarterback play in this league," he said. "There's always a need for leadership and you don't necessarily have to lead from a starter's role."

But, again, the Jets? Pennington admitted he couldn't bring himself to root for the Jets in the AFC Championship Game.

"When you're a Dolphin," he said, "Dolphins and Jets don't go together."

ON THE LINE: The Jets have received permission to speak with Ravens assistant Mark Carrier for a position on the defensive staff, believed to be coaching the defensive line. Carrier, a former NFL safety, coaches the Baltimore secondary and worked alongside Rex Ryan with the Ravens. Jeff Weeks is the Jets' current defensive line coach after replacing Kerry Locklin, who was fired at midseason.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While acknowledging it "would be tough" to return to the team that fired him only 19 months ago, Pennington - an unrestricted free agent in four weeks ...

You bet it would be tough - it would be horribly tough for us to go back and settle for mediocrity.

Oh yeah, Chadwick sure is one swell guy. I mean, he's just so bitter that he would actually root against former teammates and supposed friends simply out of jealousy that a rookie quarterback was already more successful with that team than he was in his 8 years there.

What a douche.

This.

Rooting for Chad as a Jet is not ghey.

In favor of him being the Jets backup is insanity. :D

+1

I know there is still some residual love of Chad from when he played for the Jets but think for a second about him coming in if, G-d forbid, Sanchez gets hurt. :scare:

I'd feel more comfortable with Ainge going in the game.

Oh golly gee, I'm such a nice guy. My name is Chadwick and I'm just the nicest guy in the world. Too bad I suck at Football.

The contrast is startling.

I'm remembering the AFC title game and the throws Sanchez made AND dared to make (the latter is important).

Sanchez had the physical ability to make the throw and the balls to throw it.

The TD throw to Keller where Sanchez gets creamed. Chad couldn't make that throw if he was untouched and he wouldn't even try to make it.

The same with the 15 yard out to Cotchery, where Cotch tiptows on the sideline. Sanchez got creamed then and threw a perfect pass.

I don't want Chad anywhere near Sanchez.

+1

I know there is still some residual love of Chad from when he played for the Jets but think for a second about him coming in if, G-d forbid, Sanchez gets hurt. :scare:

I'd feel more comfortable with Ainge going in the game.

Just to be clear on my stance, I was really never a Pennington fan...as a starter. I don't see how it hurts bringing him in as a back-up. I think he would be a huge help to Sanchez off the field and in the study room. I would feel more confident having a veteran like Pennington around if Sanchez was to get hurt. Bottom line btw, if Sanchez is hurt long term we're screwed anyway.

I just don't see the negative in this.

"Mark, what you want to do is just make sure only complete passes to wide open guys. And to guys not too far down field. Or don't throw it to guys running outs. Actually, just drags and slants are good for 5 yards. MANAGE THE GAME MARK."

Come on man. Are you guys serious? So b/c of his own physical limitations you think he would mentor Sanchez or a younger QB in the same fashion? I will bet and guarantee that someday the guy is going to be an excellent coach somewhere in the league or College. I don't see how you can question his leadership skills as well.

Can we have just a little bit of objectivity here?

Come on man. Are you guys serious? So b/c of his own physical limitations you think he would mentor Sanchez or a younger QB in the same fashion? I will bet and guarantee that someday the guy is going to be an excellent coach somewhere in the league or College. I don't see how you can question his leadership skills as well.

CPF is a way of life, man!!!

The contrast is startling.

I'm remembering the AFC title game and the throws Sanchez made AND dared to make (the latter is important).

Sanchez had the physical ability to make the throw and the balls to throw it.

The TD throw to Keller where Sanchez gets creamed. Chad couldn't make that throw if he was untouched and he wouldn't even try to make it.

The same with the 15 yard out to Cotchery, where Cotch tiptows on the sideline. Sanchez got creamed then and threw a perfect pass.

I don't want Chad anywhere near Sanchez.

Chad would have thrown both those balls away and wouldnt have got up from either hit.

Just say no to Chadwick Pennington.

I think somewhere down the road Pennington will make an excellent coach, be it College, NFL, whatever.

At this point though. Three arm surgeries later it is time to hang'em up and move on to the next stage of you life.

The only thing Pennington would have going for him is that he knows Schott's offense and could help Sanchez continue to grasp it.

Wait, are you going to tell me the Jets offense DID NOT go strictly conservative the second half of the year?

Will you tell me that with a straight face?

YOU'RE CONSERVATIVE.

No, it was conservative, but young chadwick would've gone underneath for 15-20 rather than launch that bomb in stride. I would've been fine with Chad had me made some of the throws Sanchez made during the playoff run.

YOU'RE CONSERVATIVE.

No, it was conservative, but young chadwick would've gone underneath for 15-20 rather than launch that bomb in stride. I would've been fine with Chad had me made some of the throws Sanchez made during the playoff run.

I can show you plays that Chad threw long on, but that is not the point of this conversation.

Your earlier point of what you dreamed Chad would tell Mark, was almost precisely the offense the Jets ran with Sanchez over the last half of the season.

Just ironic.

I can show you plays that Chad threw long on, but that is not the point of this conversation.

Your earlier point of what you dreamed Chad would tell Mark, was almost precisely the offense the Jets ran with Sanchez over the last half of the season.

Just ironic.

I guess the irony lies in the fact that in the playoffs a rookie QB made tougher throws then Mr. Chad did and had more success in one year than he had in his entire career here.

LOL. Ok. I get it. I'm in no means a big enough Pennington fan to really care either way or to fight this army of hatred towards the man. Just saying I think he would be a good option as a back-up considering the pool of talent to choose from. Carry on people. This is not a fight I care enough to continue on about. Unleash the hounds...Viva la Ainge.

I guess the irony lies in the fact that in the playoffs a rookie QB made tougher throws then Mr. Chad did and had more success in one year than he had in his entire career here.

I still do not get why you make this a Chad vs Sanchez comparison (Sanchez will be better, I get it).

I was commenting on your play notations, which is exactly what the Jets had Sanchez do.

LOL. Ok. I get it. I'm in no means a big enough Pennington fan to really care either way or to fight this army of hatred towards the man. Just saying I think he would be a good option as a back-up considering the pool of talent to choose from. Carry on people. This is not a fight I care enough to continue on about. Unleash the hounds...Viva la Ainge.

LOL, Hess. I hear ya.

I'm not an Ainge man. But if Collins or Bulger gets cut, I want them instead of CPF.

Archived