Pennington says he would back up Sanchez..

Steveg

Of course they would. Because Marc Bulger sucks in the same generalized way that Chad Pennington does.

I don't know exactly what your point is here. It's self-evident to everyone else that the teams who run some version of the Wildcat are exclusively teams with crappy QBs.

Errr would you be including Sanchez and the Jets in that since we've run a version of it ? :P

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or is it that his physical capabilities are so limited that he's given extra credit for having the requisite smarts needed to play the position in order to create some sort of balance?

The alternative explanation that he's managed to be roughly a league-average quarterback since the injuries left him with the talent level of a UDFA exclusively through blind luck is equally unsatisfactory. Unless you think irrational Chad hate is any less gay than irrational Chad love, anyway.

The alternative explanation that he's managed to be roughly a league-average quarterback since the injuries left him with the talent level of a UDFA exclusively through blind luck is equally unsatisfactory. Unless you think irrational Chad hate is any less gay than irrational Chad love, anyway.

Or he proves that there are enough bad teams in the league that allow risk aversion to be a marginally successful strategy

Or he proves that there are enough bad teams in the league that allow risk aversion to be a marginally successful strategy

How f'd are the Vikings?

In 2008 we thought Chad would be a good fit for the Vikes because it's a dome and they have all world AP running the rock.

With Favre they have a magical season undone by Favre being Favre and AP being a fumbling mess. Now they can't even have a game manager to fall back on because there's no way the Vikes would get back to the NFC title game with Chad under center because of the AP issues.

What teams out there now would fall into the "risk aversion" group you refer to?

How f'd are the Vikings?

In 2008 we thought Chad would be a good fit for the Vikes because it's a dome and they have all world AP running the rock.

With Favre they have a magical season undone by Favre being Favre and AP being a fumbling mess. Now they can't even have a game manager to fall back on because there's no way the Vikes would get back to the NFC title game with Chad under center because of the AP issues.

What teams out there now would fall into the "risk aversion" group you refer to?

Thing is, they said the same about the Jets after last season.

And that was my point all along in not wanting Favre with the Jets in the first place. When you take the all or nothing approach, and you don't get the all, it is a tough hole to climb out of.

Credit the Jets for making some bold moves as Plan B.

How f'd are the Vikings?

Jets / Baltimore / Dallas, TN if it can fix it's defense

That's all backup roles.

I was talking about potentially starting. Chad has no shot in any of those 4.

Chad is going to go where the starter is weakest, MN, Carolina (who both actually fit but I forgot) would be his best bets to start and be succesful.

He will be under center this season imo..

That's what I'm talking about. I'm talking about my LIFE, I can't seem to get that through to you. I'm not just talking about one person, I'm talking about everybody. I'm talking about form. I'm talking about content. I'm talking about interrelationships. I'm talking about God, the devil, Hell, Heaven. Do you understand... FINALLY?

Oh yeah, YES. On a cosmic level, I get it. I wasn't thinking about the children. Now that you've put it that way.

Chad is going to go where the starter is weakest, MN, Carolina (who both actually fit but I forgot) would be his best bets to start and be succesful.

He will be under center this season imo..

I just hope that wherever he goes and starts, the team is on the Jets schedule when he plays.

Surprised ECURB hasn't popped his head into this conversation. Bring in Chad absolutely. For as big of a KC fan I am, I learned quickly he's nothing more than a JAG who defenses would not be afraid of with his arm or reading coverages. At least Chad can manage a game or an offensive scoring drive.

This shouldn't become a Chad vs. Sanchez debate since its clear he would be the backup, I think that Chad is knees, shoulders and head above Clemens and would be beneficial for Sanchez' growth. Everyone who is saying "keep him away from Sanchez", why should we? Maybe he'll teach the kid ball security or reading Ds better. Just because Penny didn't have the physical tools, he was brillant on knowing D schemes and understanding offenses.

Oh yeah......SIGN THIS BEAST

Exactly.

And keep in mind that we're talking risk aversion with a quality running game and defense, the only times Chad has found (moderate) success. And in the seasons where his level of play has been below average, its always been excused by factors outside of Chad. I'm still not sure how Chad performing as an average-at-best QB with laughable physical skills automatically equates to brilliance. Playing scared, a generally quality supporting cast and piss-poor QB play around the league are frankly the only things that have kept Chad from being anything more than a backup for any year after 2004.

Just because Penny didn't have the physical tools, he was brillant on knowing D schemes and understanding offenses.

Rarely ever throwing the ball further than 10 yards does not equate to being brilliant at reading defensive schemes. Most NFL defenses today employ 4-3 cover 2 style, which are designed to force the QB to go to the underneath receivers and keep the play in front of them. Doing what the D wants you to do does not equate brilliance, it just means he is incapable of bending the D to do what HE wants it to do and dictate the game himself. It's no shock that Pennington always struggled against aggressive 3-4 D's that were willing to give up a big play now and again while taking away the underneath routes and applying pressure.

Maybe he'll teach the kid ball security or reading Ds better. Just because Penny didn't have the physical tools, he was brillant on knowing D schemes and understanding offenses.

All that hasn't helped Chad in the postseason

Postseason:

Chad Pennington--

2-4 Record, 132/216 (61%) for 1,418 yds 8 TDs 8 INTs and 77.3 QB rating

Mark Sanchez--

2-1 Record, 41/28 (60%) for 539 yds 4 TDs 2 INTs and 92.7 QB rating.

;)

I guess the irony lies in the fact that in the playoffs a rookie QB made tougher throws then Mr. Chad did and had more success in one year than he had in his entire career here.

No, the Jet had better success. But if you look at QB performance Chad never had a QB rating as low as Sanchez's.

The Jets success this year was because of the defense and running game in inspite of the QB.

Pennington is a smart and articulate QB he would make an excellent mentor for Sanchez or any rookie or 2nd year QB. He is also the type of player who is willing to mentor younger players, most QB vets have too much of an ego to do that. You would be hard pressed to find someone who would make a better backup QB for the Jets than Pennington.

Given Pennington's injury issues he would not make a good starting QB for any team, but he certainly would be an excellent #2 on many teams.

No, the Jet had better success. But if you look at QB performance Chad never had a QB rating as low as Sanchez's.

The Jets success this year was because of the defense and running game in inspite of the QB.

Pennington is a smart and articulate QB he would make an excellent mentor for Sanchez or any rookie or 2nd year QB. He is also the type of player who is willing to mentor younger players, most QB vets have too much of an ego to do that. You would be hard pressed to find someone who would make a better backup QB for the Jets than Pennington.

Given Pennington's injury issues he would not make a good starting QB for any team, but he certainly would be an excellent #2 on many teams.

There's so much wrong with this post that I'll let others gleefully have at it, but your use of sample size is particularly problematic. Leaving aside the dubious utility of any statistical benchmark that places Chad Pennington among the top ten quarterbacks of all time, dismissing every throw Sanchez made this postseason because his rookie-year passer rating doesn't meet the standards of Noodle-Arm is about as credible as me using the same data to claim that Sanchez's postseason YPA of 7.93 is a predictive trend and not an aberration.

you don't know **** about nuthin. Pennington is willing to mentor young players.. lol.. how the heck would you know, cause he says he does?

you don't know **** about nuthin. Pennington is willing to mentor young players.. lol.. how the heck would you know, cause he says he does?

Didn't you see what a great mentor he was during the 2007 season to Clemens? I mean, how does one mentor better than pacing the sidelines with their helmet on and repeatedly stating to the media that you feel you should be the starter? Get with it man!

No I don't take Pennington's word for it, but I will take Henne's.

Henne's too dumb to realize there's a knife sticking out of his back by pennington's hand

He's a good judge of character?

no.. I know you still <3.. but the fact that he was rooting against his former teammates, none of whom had anythign to do wit cutting his sorry ass, says "good character" to you. If favre had said the same thing last year, I imagine you'd feel differently

but the fact that he was rooting against his former teammates, none of whom had anythign to do wit cutting his sorry ass, says "good character" to you.

Again with this. If you think that rooting against the Jets while a member of the Dolphins speaks to his character in any way whatsoever you're a moron.

Chad is a great person and had a great career, despite all the irrational hatred directed at him. For all the love that Sanchez gets in both college and the pros he has never won a game that his backup could not have won. Sanchez's best game as a pro still resulted in a 17 to 30 loss for the Jets. We'll see if Sanchez deserves all this hype.

Chad is a great person and had a great career, despite all the irrational hatred directed at him. For all the love that Sanchez gets in both college and the pros he has never won a game that his backup could not have won. Sanchez's best game as a pro still resulted in a 17 to 30 loss for the Jets. We'll see if Sanchez deserves all this hype.

Again with the sample size. Do you and GodWearsAGrayHoodie coordinate your outfits too?

Again with this. If you think that rooting against the Jets while a member of the Dolphins speaks to his character in any way whatsoever you're a moron.

Why? This is the same guy that was yucking it up with Big ben about how bad he played after 2004. To pretend the players have the same outlook as fans on these things is silly. The pats and jets are supposed to have some kind of rivalry but look how much cross over there's been there. It's not like I'm saying Chad is a heal for going to miami in the first place (as others have said)

Chad was these guys teammates for a lot of years, and couldn't find it in himself to wish well for his former teammates. If it doesn't speak to bad character, it most certainly speaks against the carefully crafted persona of all around wonderful human being. It's petty.

I think Chad as a backup to Sanchez would be a perfect fit. I would love for Chad to get a ring or two holding a clipboard for the rook. He knows the system... he loved being a Jet... and he could fill in for a game or two if need be and not lose us a game if our D and running game continue to do what they did all season.

Chad Pennington would have NEVER won that Week 2 game over New England.

This Jets team is the exact type of team Pennington needs to be on to be successful. Carried by a running game and defense with the accuracy to be effective on the rare occassion they throw the ball. He's done enough in this league that I don't think he'd see the same eight men in the box Sanchez had to face. As a back-up to Sanchez I say bring him in. To be fair though, I'm always in favor of bringing in a player that makes the Jets better and at this point I think Chad is a better option than KC.

This Jets team is the exact type of team Pennington needs to be on to be successful. Carried by a running game and defense with the accuracy to be effective on the rare occassion they throw the ball. He's done enough in this league that I don't think he'd see the same eight men in the box Sanchez had to face. As a back-up to Sanchez I say bring him in. To be fair though, I'm always in favor of bringing in a player that makes the Jets better and at this point I think Chad is a better option than KC.

A retarded monkey would be a better backup than Clemens. That isn't enough of a reason to bring in Pennington, however.

Yes, this is the perfect team for Pennington to be on. But as the league gets more and more pass-happy, we need a guy who can at least be a threat to throw a deep-ball, to back up Sanchez. If Ainge isn't that guy, bring in a vet like Kerry Collins.

If he would come back to the Jets and accept the role of being Sanchez's mentor at a reasonable price, then ****ing do it...you gotta be kidding me if you think that would be a bad move. There is no reason to hate Pennington. Complain about his arm strength and what not, but an argument is made that he is the second smartest quarterback behind Peyton, and I fully believe that.

Archived