How many SB's does Shotty have to cost us?

BornJetsFan1983

Seriously?

I hear all these excuses for an over rated and over hyped Coordinator. Who for all his strengths, which are as common within the league as back ups, this guys finds ways to lose in the biggest moments we have. And who can forget his all time best play-call, the 4th down quick out to an unprotected WR covered by three Defensive players when we need over 15 yards for a first.

Look I just want to ask how long are we going to handcuff our selves? For all our teams growing pains you honestly think that any other O.C. would have ****ed up as much or would have had a job?

I just want to go out on a limb and tell you how I feel. I hate Shotty and his stupid game plans. Can we please let this guy go in the preseason. Sign anyone!!!! ANYONE!!! let Rex call the plays again I don't care...

PLEASE let Shotty not suck this year

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously?

I hear all these excuses for an over rated and over hyped Coordinator. Who for all his strengths, which are as common within the league as back ups, this guys finds ways to lose in the biggest moments we have. And who can forget his all time best play-call, the 4th down quick out to an unprotected WR covered by three Defensive players when we need over 15 yards for a first.

Look I just want to ask how long are we going to handcuff our selves? For all our teams growing pains you honestly think that any other O.C. would have ****ed up as much or would have had a job?

I just want to go out on a limb and tell you how I feel. I hate Shotty and his stupid game plans. Can we please let this guy go in the preseason. Sign anyone!!!! ANYONE!!! let Rex call the plays again I don't care...

It's a two-way street. Many of his calls are maddening, but I doubt he designed or instructed Sanchez to throw the ball such that it hits defenders in the hands or chest 30x last year.

But along the lines of what you're saying, I don't recall an OC needing so much help (2 other experienced coaches - Callahan and now Moore - who had a lot of success as OC's themselves, plus not only a QB coach but tying up the #2 spot on our active roster every week for yet another QB coach). And the one thing this man supposedly had going for him was he was supposed to be some type of QB coach/guru from SD.

OCs who are hardly household names, with lesser pedigrees and planted journalist accolades, have done far more with a lot less talent to work with.

I can understand not making radical changes now with a very abbreviated offseason, but if we yet again finish outside the top-10 in total offense in both points and yards, I see little choice but to let him go.

Seriously?

Please name the OC's who first with a rookie QB, then a 2nd year QB went to back to back Championship games.

All games on the road.

People forget where we've been and get caught up in where they think we should have been.

For some reason, both Rex and Tanny seem to really like the guy. If Rex wanted him to be gone, he would be gone now. He didn't replace him when he was hired, and if there was ever a time to get rid of him it was after last season. There must be something about him that they see that the rest of us don't. The million dollar question is what that is.

Please name the OC's who first with a rookie QB, then a 2nd year QB went to back to back Championship games.

All games on the road.

People forget where we've been and get caught up in where they think we should have been.

The defense, plus the best OL money can buy (with one of the - if not the - best OL coach in the league directing them), plus a couple of aptly-timed, miracle-type catches from Holmes & Edwards is what took us there.

No one believes that an offense that averaged a pathetic 18 ppg to the not-Buffalo-Bills opponents is what got us so far. Hell, we'd have finished with 3 more wins (14-2) if we won all the games our defense kept opponents to 10 points or less instead of losing 3 of 5 of them.

The defense, plus the best OL money can buy (with one of the - if not the - best OL coach in the league directing them), plus a couple of aptly-timed, miracle-type catches from Holmes & Edwards is what took us there.

No one believes that an offense that averaged a pathetic 18 ppg to the not-Buffalo-Bills opponents is what got us so far. Hell, we'd have finished with 3 more wins (14-2) if we won all the games our defense kept opponents to 10 points or less instead of losing 3 of 5 of them.

First, I have as many complaints as most in regards to Shotty.

But I also realize what he's been working with and what he's accomplished with this group.

It's not only the D. And what is it with Jet fans who make excuses for their own team? Lucky catches, lets go through all the teams who got to the champ games, how many miracle catches, etc got them there? And of course take away all the high scoring games, the opposition wasn't up to snuff. Does Pitt not deserve to have been there after their finish against the fins?

Can do this for every team, it's part of the game, goes for you and against.

I never said that the offense is what got us there. All I'm saying is look at what he's working with, an inexperience, mistake prone 1st year and 2nd year QB is a tough road to putting out a high scoring, efficient offense.

Seriously?

If we have the team "talent wise" to make a SB run there is no doubt in my mind this idiot will not be able to handle the tough situations in the playoffs.At some point He will make a bone headed call at a crucial point to cost us a game. Last year VS the Colts it was well documented that Sanchez actully requested the play that got us in good field position on the Braylon Catch, makes you wonder what sh*tty would have called in that situation. We probably would have been attempting a 50 + yard Field goal and gone home.

This guy has accomplished absolutely nothing in the 6 years hes been here. NOTHING !!! Yet he still keeps a job, and he still continues to fail. He has no Idea how to call plays to get a QB in a rhythm. At the beginning of games its run, run, pass putting our young QB in constant 3rd and longs (since our running game gets most of its yards late in games not early) without him even being warmed up yet which IMHO hurts his accuracy numbers more than anything. Ever wonder why Sanchez performs better when he has to throw late in games ? Its because hes warmed up and in a rhythm not just handing the ball off constantly on first and second down. If Shotty would just get Sanchez throwing short high percentage passes to his backs to start the game I promise it would get him in rhythm. great running teams shut games down in the 4th quarter thats where most of your yards come from. Running constantly early in games on first and second down is not a good thing especailly when its creating third and long situations.

If you watch the Saints play this is exactly how they handle Drew Brees, short high percentage passes, let the backs do the work, as the defense inches forward then they attack with the medium range passing game. This is why Brees has a 65 - 70 % completion rating. You put him in constant 3rd and longs to start the game and his percentage will certainly not be as high. Hes in a fantastic system and hes also a fantastic QB. You can't give all credit to the system but you certainly can give a lot of it. They also surround the guy with talent all the backs on that roster are threats out of the back field, all can catch the football. I use Drew Brees as an example because I see the same qualities in Sanchez I see in Brees, both have great footwork, above average arms, and are atheletic they are very similar, difference is Brees has much better weapons and a better system to work with. And yes I do think in those circumstances Sanchez would eventually put up similar type numbers but not with 35 + year old re-tread WR's and a backfeild where only one back can catch the football (hopefully that changes this year with Mcknight seeing more action and maybe even Powell) But do we trust sh*tty to work those guys into the offense Like Peyton works all four of his backs and all four of his WR's into his ? No possible way sh*tty can handle that type of situation. Why ? because up to this point hes NEVER worked in any of our young guys.

I hope to god Tom Moore can beat this into Shottys dumb head and maybe we can start off some games getting Sanchez into the game plan early rather than dealing with constant 3rd and longs or crazy reverses at the 20 yard line when he does seem to be getting on a roll. Its obvious from listening to Rex talk he is not an offensive mind and I think thats why he hired Moore to look deep into Shottys X's and O's. This is a great move because Rex is learning from the mistakes of his Defensive minded father. Buddy would have not only Punched Shotty in the face by now he would have run him out of town.

If this offense struggles the excuse will be "well were dealing with 2 new WR's on offense" every year its a different excuse for Shotty and at this point its becoming ridiculous. If we cant put together some consistent offense in the first 6 games this guy needs to be dumped, on the spot, and the reigns handed to Callahan. 10 games to work with a team heading into the playoffs is plenty of time especially since Callahan is already involved with the offense only thing I would see changing drasticly is the playcalling and the rhythm thats set from that playcalling/ I would say Moore but at 72 Im not sure the guy wants the workload I think hes content with being a consultant.

If we have the team "talent wise" to make a SB run there is no doubt in my mind this idiot will not be able to handle the tough situations in the playoffs.At some point He will make a bone headed call at a crucial point to cost us a game. Last year VS the Colts it was well documented that Sanchez actully requested the play that got us in good field position on the Braylon Catch, makes you wonder what sh*tty would have called in that situation. We probably would have been attempting a 50 + yard Field goal and gone home.

This guy has accomplished absolutely nothing in the 6 years hes been here. NOTHING !!! Yet he still keeps a job, and he still continues to fail. He has no Idea how to call plays to get a QB in a rhythm. At the beginning of games its run, run, pass putting our young QB in constant 3rd and longs (since our running game gets most of its yards late in games not early) without him even being warmed up yet which IMHO hurts his accuracy numbers more than anything. Ever wonder why Sanchez performs better when he has to throw late in games ? Its because hes warmed up and in a rhythm not just handing the ball off constantly on first and second down. If Shotty would just get Sanchez throwing short high percentage passes to his backs to start the game I promise it would get him in rhythm. great running teams shut games down in the 4th quarter thats where most of your yards come from. Running constantly early in games on first and second down is not a good thing especailly when its creating third and long situations.

If you watch the Saints play this is exactly how they handle Drew Brees, short high percentage passes, let the backs do the work, as the defense inches forward then they attack with the medium range passing game. This is why Brees has a 65 - 70 % completion rating. You put him in constant 3rd and longs to start the game and his percentage will certainly not be as high. Hes in a fantastic system and hes also a fantastic QB. You can't give all credit to the system but you certainly can give a lot of it. They also surround the guy with talent all the backs on that roster are threats out of the back field, all can catch the football. I use Drew Brees as an example because I see the same qualities in Sanchez I see in Brees, both have great footwork, above average arms, and are atheletic they are very similar, difference is Brees has much better weapons and a better system to work with. And yes I do think in those circumstances Sanchez would eventually put up similar type numbers but not with 35 + year old re-tread WR's and a backfeild where only one back can catch the football (hopefully that changes this year with Mcknight seeing more action and maybe even Powell) But do we trust sh*tty to work those guys into the offense Like Peyton works all four of his backs and all four of his WR's into his ? No possible way sh*tty can handle that type of situation. Why ? because up to this point hes NEVER worked in any of our young guys.

I hope to god Tom Moore can beat this into Shottys dumb head and maybe we can start off some games getting Sanchez into the game plan early rather than dealing with constant 3rd and longs or crazy reverses at the 20 yard line when he does seem to be getting on a roll. Its obvious from listening to Rex talk he is not an offensive mind and I think thats why he hired Moore to look deep into Shottys X's and O's. This is a great move because Rex is learning from the mistakes of his Defensive minded father. Buddy would have not only Punched Shotty in the face by now he would have run him out of town.

If this offense struggles the excuse will be "well were dealing with 2 new WR's on offense" every year its a different excuse for Shotty and at this point its becoming ridiculous. If we cant put together some consistent offense in the first 6 games this guy needs to be dumped, on the spot, and the reigns handed to Callahan. 10 games to work with a team heading into the playoffs is plenty of time especially since Callahan is already involved with the offense only thing I would see changing drasticly is the playcalling and the rhythm thats set from that playcalling/ I would say Moore but at 72 Im not sure the guy wants the workload I think hes content with being a consultant.

tl;dr

Just kidding. Excellent post.

But I also realize what he's been working with and what he's accomplished with this group.

It's not only the D. And what is it with Jet fans who make excuses for their own team? Lucky catches, lets go through all the teams who got to the champ games, how many miracle catches, etc got them there? And of course take away all the high scoring games, the opposition wasn't up to snuff. Does Pitt not deserve to have been there after their finish against the fins?

I never said that the offense is what got us there. All I'm saying is look at what he's working with, an inexperience, mistake prone 1st year and 2nd year QB is a tough road to putting out a high scoring, efficient offense.

lol, c'mon Backtrack hero

tl;dr

Just kidding. Excellent post.

Thank You 80 ;)

Im really dissapointed this guy still runs our offense and no matter how good we can be its always in the back of my mind and tight game in the playoffs could be nothing more than a crazy toss up.

lol.. we've gotten to the AFC championship 2 years running with a severely inexperianced QB similiar to the profile of Akili Smith... ripping the OC is kind of lame.. he's clearly done some things correctly

lol.. we've gotten to the AFC championship 2 years running with a severely inexperianced QB similiar to the profile of Akili Smith... ripping the OC is kind of lame.. he's clearly done some things correctly

Yet when he's had better QB's he hasn't done sh*t. Weird.

5 years, 4 QB's, talented player after talented player brought in at literally every single skill position, and an offense that's never even made the top 10.

Oh, and complete bumblings of both of those AFC championship games to boot. I'm sure he just needs more time though, not like half of a decade is a lifetime in football.

Yet when he's had better QB's he hasn't done sh*t. Weird.

5 years, 4 QB's, talented player after talented player brought in at literally every single skill position, and an offense that's never even made the top 10.

Oh, and complete bumblings of both of those AFC championship games to boot. I'm sure he just needs more time though, not like half of a decade is a lifetime in football.

what better QB's? Pennington sucked and severly limited an offense. Clemens was a disaster, Favre got here 3 days before the season, refused to learn the playbook yet still had a 70% completion % and a top 10 offense before getting hurt/wearing down..

I'm not a shotty fan, but the constant villification of him is stoopid

Brees broke out in San Diego. He's much much better than Sanchez.

Thats great stuff. I was not comparing the 2 QB's as to which was better than the other. They have similarities, and like I said watch how both offenses run early on in games and you will see how the Saints (as do most teams) work on getting their QB in a rhythm before asking them to complete constant 3rd and longs which is what the Jets seem to be in a lot. My point was based on how the offenses run.

Which should tell you we got there because we played above average defense. Sanchez totally flipped his stats around last year and played fantastic in both play off runs. A case could be made he was one of the top QB's both years in the playoffs you know THE PLAYOFFS. Explain to me what you think Shotty has done correctly. Going to give him credit for the running game ?? Which was clearly developed by Callahan and his blocking schemes. The bottom line is Shotty is a complete Disaster. Im still shocked after his blundering calls in last years playoffs hes still associated with this football team. It makes me sick when Rex pumps this guy up about possible HC jobs yet no one comes looking for him except the Buffalo Bills. I wont be comfortable until this guy is out of here because no matter how damn good a football team you have at some point your going to be in a close game in the playoffs and we have this clown to count on in those situations. :puke:

I use Drew Brees as an example because I see the same qualities in Sanchez I see in Brees, both have great footwork, above average arms, and are atheletic they are very similar, difference is Brees has much better weapons and a better system to work with. And yes I do think in those circumstances Sanchez would eventually put up similar type numbers

If you think the salient difference between them is their situations and that Sanchez would put up similar numbers in NO, then you are implying that their relevant abilities are about equal. Sanchez is much worse. Maybe, MAYBE someday he'll be as good as Brees is now.

And asking any QB to constantly convert 3rd and longs is retarded. Making short, high percentage passes isn't about getting a QB in a rhythm as much as it is about using an accurate QB to efficiently gain yardage and avoid 3rd and long altogether.

And establishing the run early is old school but still smart for a team like the Jets imo. If you can't establish the better half of your offense early, you have no hope of getting your offense going. If the Jets aren't going to be able to get rushing yards early, then they will have problems (unless Sanchez takes a huge leap forward).

what better QB's? Pennington sucked and severly limited an offense. Clemens was a disaster, Favre got here 3 days before the season, refused to learn the playbook yet still had a 70% completion % and a top 10 offense before getting hurt/wearing down..

I'm not a shotty fan, but the constant villification of him is stoopid

Here's food for thought. Maybe BOTH Sanchez and Schotty have caused this offense to be the slow-starting, inaccurate, predictable, and mediocre turd that it has been for the past two years.

Sanchez isn't accurate and is turnover prone. Schotty makes questionable play-calls, runs highly predictable plays out of certain formations, and runs a complicated offense that so far has been mediocre with the pass for several years now.

Yes, people bitch about the OC because that's the easiest thing to blame. But in this case, they both have had their share of well-documented incompetence.

Yep

Clearly Schotty's fault that the D gave up 24 in the first half to the Steelers

Really? They didn't in the game I watched. The game I saw the Jets D gave up 17 points for the whole game.

Plus here's the summary of the first half:

Pittsburgh = 10 minute opening drive (ugh): TD. Pittsburgh 7-0

Jets = punt

Pittsburgh = turnover: Ben intercepted by B.Thomas

Jets = punt (3 & out)

Pittsburgh = FG. Pittsburgh 10-0

Jets = punt (3 & out)

PIttsburgh = TD. Pittsburgh 17-0

Jets = turnover: Sanchez fumbles, PIttsburgh scores on defense. Pittsburgh 24-0.

In the first 4 possessions, the Jets offense netted -7 points.

As far as the scoreboard was concerned, the Jets offense would have been more productive if they'd kneeled on the ball starting on first down and then punted on each of those possessions.

The defense, at times, looked like they were putting on a clinic in how not to tackle. Even still, at the end of the game, the scoreboard said our D gave up 17 points to Pittsburgh's offense.

Pittsburgh got a lucky, if undeserved, W out of that game and few outside of western Pennsylvania would argue that. To deny that the Jets had multiple times where they just got flat-out lucky on offense, which resulted in a win, is not being honest. We got stupid-luck more than once.

I say plenty that Schottenheimer doesn't draw up plays that call for Sanchez to throw the ball right to a defender (lucky for us the defender usually dropped it).

But every year there is a shiny, new set of excuses for this guy. Favre has one of his best seasons in GB, then comes here and lays an egg (still, mind you, this is easily the best Jets offense under BS), then goes to Minnesota and is great again. The same year we cut Pennington loose and has his best season since well before BS arrived in NY. Sanchez was, at times, hopeless until Rex steps in over BS's head and comes up with a stupidly-simple red/yellow/green solution. Pennington was at least a decent starter. He became barely mediocre under BS. Favre was one of the league's top QBs the year before and the year after being attached to BS.

We have to bring in advisers and former OC's and former HC's and keep roster spots for QB's who should be retired by now and solid RBs and throw all the money in the world at offensive linemen. All to help BS do the job he was hired to do so he could still only eke out a mediocre offense. Why? Because he's the son of a coach and somewhere, sometime, someone got the idea that Drew Brees and Philip Rivers wouldn't have been as good without BS's coaching. And still his crowning achievement with the Jets is coaching Brett Favre to one of his worst seasons.

Meanwhile, entering his 6th NFL season as our OC, he's never put together an offense as consistently good as the friggin' 2010 Raiders. Tell me about how awesome their QB's and receivers are. They had a mid-round rookie start most of the season at left tackle, taking over for that stiff Henderson. If that was under BS, it would just be another excuse as to why the offense is again lackluster. With a rookie Flacco the Ravens had the #11 offense. In his 2nd year the #9 offense. Derek Anderson is 1/10 the talent and smarts that Sanchez supposedly is. Yet in year two of his illustrious career - one where he lost the QB competition to Charlie friggin' Frye - they were a top-10 offense with that all-time offensive guru Rob Chudzinski as OC.

Excuses, excuses, excuses. Every year. It will be my great pleasure if this year isn't more of the same from Schottenheimer. But no doubt if we're a mediocre offense again, some will still provide endless excuses. Sanchez and Plaxico and Mason and Keller and Greene and LT and Powell and Conner and an OL of Ferguson-Slauson-Mangold-Moore-Hunter/Ducasse really ought to be enough for someone. Or should we have bypassed drafting Sanchez and picked up the great Jon Kitna instead?

Pittsburgh got a lucky, if undeserved, W out of that game and few outside of western Pennsylvania would argue that. To deny that the Jets had multiple times where they just got flat-out lucky on offense, which resulted in a win, is not being honest. We got stupid-luck more than once.

I say plenty that Schottenheimer doesn't draw up plays that call for Sanchez to throw the ball right to a defender (lucky for us the defender usually dropped it).

But every year there is a shiny, new set of excuses for this guy. Favre has one of his best seasons in GB, then comes here and lays an egg (still, mind you, this is easily the best Jets offense under BS), then goes to Minnesota and is great again. The same year we cut Pennington loose and has his best season since well before BS arrived in NY. Sanchez was, at times, hopeless until Rex steps in over BS's head and comes up with a stupidly-simple red/yellow/green solution. Pennington was at least a decent starter. He became barely mediocre under BS. Favre was one of the league's top QBs the year before and the year after being attached to BS.

We have to bring in advisers and former OC's and former HC's and keep roster spots for QB's who should be retired by now and solid RBs and throw all the money in the world at offensive linemen. All to help BS do the job he was hired to do so he could still only eke out a mediocre offense. Why? Because he's the son of a coach and somewhere, sometime, someone got the idea that Drew Brees and Philip Rivers wouldn't have been as good without BS's coaching. And still his crowning achievement with the Jets is coaching Brett Favre to one of his worst seasons.

Meanwhile, entering his 6th NFL season as our OC, he's never put together an offense as consistently good as the friggin' 2010 Raiders. Tell me about how awesome their QB's and receivers are. They had a mid-round rookie start most of the season at left tackle, taking over for that stiff Henderson. If that was under BS, it would just be another excuse as to why the offense is again lackluster. With a rookie Flacco the Ravens had the #11 offense. In his 2nd year the #9 offense. Derek Anderson is 1/10 the talent and smarts that Sanchez supposedly is. Yet in year two of his illustrious career - one where he lost the QB competition to Charlie friggin' Frye - they were a top-10 offense with that all-time offensive guru Rob Chudzinski as OC.

Excuses, excuses, excuses. Every year. It will be my great pleasure if this year isn't more of the same from Schottenheimer. But no doubt if we're a mediocre offense again, some will still provide endless excuses. Sanchez and Plaxico and Mason and Keller and Greene and LT and Powell and Conner and an OL of Ferguson-Slauson-Mangold-Moore-Hunter/Ducasse really ought to be enough for someone. Or should we have bypassed drafting Sanchez and picked up the great Jon Kitna instead?

Best Schott post of all time right here. Bravo.

Yes, far be it from us to chastise an offensive coordinator for coordinating a bad offense for 5 years running. Back to indulging in smear campaigns and taking underhanded shots at rib eating anchor salesmen.

No QB = no offense, Back to rying to seem as smart as Aten ...

burp

Which should tell you we got there because we played above average defense. Sanchez totally flipped his stats around last year and played fantastic in both play off runs. A case could be made he was one of the top QB's both years in the playoffs you know THE PLAYOFFS. Explain to me what you think Shotty has done correctly. Going to give him credit for the running game ?? Which was clearly developed by Callahan and his blocking schemes. The bottom line is Shotty is a complete Disaster. Im still shocked after his blundering calls in last years playoffs hes still associated with this football team. It makes me sick when Rex pumps this guy up about possible HC jobs yet no one comes looking for him except the Buffalo Bills. I wont be comfortable until this guy is out of here because no matter how damn good a football team you have at some point your going to be in a close game in the playoffs and we have this clown to count on in those situations. :puke:

I'm not saying he's a great coordinator, what I'm saying is looking at the turds we've had at QB and going, man our offense has never been top 10, and concluding it must be all schotty's fault is dim to me..

No QB = no offense

This claim on Schott has been rebuked so many times by now. I may have the time but certainly not the inclination to go over it yet again, especially when it's explained quite well above. It's surpassed being lame and is now venturing into the realm of 'Brick isn't one of the best tackles in the league'.

Edit: And BTW, as long as we've got our comparison hats on, you've been venturing lately down the path of a well-spoken version of visa.

If the Schotty apologists want to believe that his current burden is a mistake prone, developing QB - that is fine. All I know is what I see. And I have watched a Jets offense for the past five years that I can correctly predict before the snap will either run or pass the ball at least 95% of the time. In my book, that puts a ridiculous burden on the QB. I think young Mr. Sanchez has done quite well with a mentally challenged OC.

This claim on Schott has been rebuked so many times by now. I may have the time but certainly not the inclination to go over it yet again, especially when it's explained quite well above. It's surpassed being lame and is now venturing into the realm of 'Brick isn't one of the best tackles in the league'.

That statement was made in Brick's 2nd year when he wasn't. If you're arguing predictive powers, i can retort with 'Dennis Dixon being a great pro prospect'..

Archived