Cimini: Jets could have an ego problem

Jetsfan80

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/6886096/new-york-jets-vets-follow-ladainian-tomlinson-lead-learn-share

Gang Green could have ego problem

The Jets' veteran stars must follow LaDainian Tomlinson's lead and learn to share

By Rich Cimini

ESPNNewYork.com

Updated: August 22, 2011, 8:41 PM ET

It's all good now, but there will come a time when it gets complicated for the New York Jets, when the ball doesn't get distributed evenly among the "big three" at wide receiver or when the offense starts straying from its ground-and-pound roots.

The shifts are bound to happen as part of the natural ebb and flow of an NFL season, with every little trend magnified because this is Gotham. For the Jets, the 2011 season will be a delicate balancing act, the balancing of ego and philosophy. If it starts to go bad -- we said "if," not "when" -- they should take a long look at one of their own.

LaDainian Tomlinson.

The future Hall of Famer has displayed the kind of unselfish attitude that should serve as an inspiration to his teammates. He has lost salary and playing time, two swift kicks to the gut for any professional athlete.

Tomlinson was told a few months back that he'd be a part-time player in 2011, the third-down back. He embraced the change, saying his goal was to become the best third-down back in the league. After reducing his role, the Jets came after his money, getting him to take more than a 50 percent pay cut before training camp opened.

Cynics might say Tomlinson didn't have much of a choice, but he could've made a stink. He didn't. He didn't because, in the twilight of his great career, he realizes that "sometimes ego is the downfall of athletes." He didn't want to become one of those guys.

"I made it clear, my ego is out the door," Tomlinson said last week in a quiet moment at camp. "That's not what it's about for me. I've always said that I want to have a chance to win a championship. When you back up what you talk about, guys see that and say, 'You know what? That's the right way to do it.'"

Tomlinson already has made that impact on one of his newest teammates, wide receiver Derrick Mason. When he was weighing free-agent offers earlier this month, Mason thought about Tomlinson and how he passed up more money elsewhere to play for a shot at the Super Bowl, and how he accepted a smaller role in Year 2 to keep alive that dream.

"When I was making my decision, that was one of the things I talked about," Mason said. "Didn't tell nobody, but I thought about LT's situation: Do I want to put everything else aside to try to win a championship? Obviously, I made the decision to put everything else aside to win a Super Bowl."

The Jets have a fascinating dynamic on offense. Consider:

They have four players who have been go-to guys in previous stops: Tomlinson, Mason, Plaxico Burress and Santonio Holmes. Only one of them -- Holmes -- still has that distinction. He's got the big contract, too: five years, $45 million. The other three are drawing relatively modest salaries.

If old egos die hard, the Jets are going to be in trouble. It will be almost impossible to keep everybody happy all the time because there will be stretches when one or two of them don't see the ball. Remember, the Jets also have Dustin Keller, a talented tight end, and Shonn Greene, their new No. 1 ball carrier. There are a lot of mouths to feed.

On Sunday night, Mark Sanchez did a nice job of distributing the ball to Burress and Holmes and Keller, who combined for 10 catches, 158 yards and two touchdowns in only one half, but it was only the Cincinnati Bengals and it was only the preseason. It's not going to be a storybook script every week.

It also will be interesting to see how coordinator Brian Schottenheimer balances run versus pass. Rex Ryan says he wants to let Sanchez throw more than in the past, but will the coach's run-oriented, defensive-minded philosophy actually allow that to happen? The last thing Ryan wants to lose is the Jets' identity as a physical offense.

But Sanchez continues to improve, and if Holmes, Burress and Mason stay healthy, it's going to be tempting to open up the offense. Burress already is talking about how he wants to average 28 to 30 points a game. Do you know the last time the Jets averaged 28 per game? It was 1968, their Super Bowl season. Here's to you, Broadway Joe.

The Jets have the talent to be special, but it's going to take luck and sacrifice. It's going to take a Tomlinson-like attitude.

"When you're talking about winning a championship, it's not all about who's getting paid what or who the stars are," Tomlinson said. "It's going to take everybody."

So Cimini writes a positive article about LT, yet turns it in part into a negative speculation piece about Holmes, Plax and Mason (without any evidence that the Jets WR's will grumble about lack of touches). Slapdick journalist.

Amen.

You know who has an ego problem? Rich Cimini.

You know who also has an ego problem? Sooth. Oh wait, that is an eggo problem. I always get them confused, nevermind.

Amen.

You know who has an ego problem? Rich Cimini.

You know who also has an ego problem? Sooth. Oh wait, that is an eggo problem. I always get them confused, nevermind.

you know who had the biggest grin on his face when the jets lost 2 afccg's? rich cimini. talks so much crap about the jets, he would have to hide under a rock when the jets bring a trophy home

So Cimini writes a positive article about LT, yet turns it in part into a negative speculation piece about Holmes, Plax and Mason (without any evidence that the Jets WR's will grumble about lack of touches). Slapdick journalist.

Not only that, he also uses LT's sacrifice as motivation for Mason, praises Mason for throwing everything aside to win the Super Bowl but then throws Mason into the names of people the Jets are going to have to make happy or their ego's will kick in.

:blink:

Yesterday before the Jets game Cimini wrote a piece about how the Jets fans should not expect much from Burres, the game started he kept tweeting at how bad the O looked through out the 1st half and then boom Plax came alive, no tweet for 45 minutes from douche bag Cimini, and the he comes with some garbage 1st half recap about how Plax made a nice catch against the Bills CB (he uses his exact name) and then goes on to write how that was the Bills 2nd string CB blah blah blah.

Ego problem? Look in the mirror Dick

The same thing was said last year and we had every type of locker room problem besides ego problems lol.

It really all comes down to this. They've been speculating on this ever since the Jets started roster-building the way that they have under Tannenbaum. It's never made itself present, and on top of that there's a solid enough core in this locker room to keep someone grounded. Yes, even without Jerricho Cotchery's leadership. Also, the guys he mentions here haven't really ever been guilty of it in the past. Even Plaxico for all his faults never really had ego issues when it came to teammates and inside the locker room, just in general life. Santonio seems like he takes his job as a vocal leader in the locker room seriously, doesn't really come off like he'd jeopardize that responsibility and let Rex down. Keller has no right to have an ego about anything. And Mason? Come on.

It really all comes down to this. They've been speculating on this ever since the Jets started roster-building the way that they have under Tannenbaum. It's never made itself present, and on top of that there's a solid enough core in this locker room to keep someone grounded. Yes, even without Jerricho Cotchery's leadership. Also, the guys he mentions here haven't really ever been guilty of it in the past. Even Plaxico for all his faults never really had ego issues when it came to teammates and inside the locker room, just in general life. Santonio seems like he takes his job as a vocal leader in the locker room seriously, doesn't really come off like he'd jeopardize that responsibility and let Rex down. Keller has no right to have an ego about anything. And Mason? Come on.

Mason is the most comical of them all considering he's the guy from the moment he signed specifically stated he knew that because of the build of the team and his position he likely wasn't going to put up the same numbers or get as many balls thrown his way, but he knew that up front and expected that when he signed with the team. If he was so concerned about being the focus of his teams offense, he sure as hell wouldn't have signed with the Jets, a run first team where he'd be #3 on the WR depth chart. This whole entire article is completely asinine though, and Cimini is just unbearable to read sometimes. Frankly, I couldn't even be bothered to get through this entire article.

Cimini's style of "journalism" entails throwing tons of blatant speculation out there in hopes people will grow numb to all the stuff he gets wrong and that once in awhile he'll get lucky and be able to say "I told you so."

I guess it's been a few days since his last article bashing the Jets, so he was getting desperate and pulled this out of his a$$. Nothing new about this. Unsubstantiated speculation, nothing more.

I remember when our players were humble.

The media and other NFL fans used to call us the "Jests" and New Jersey/B. They'd all make joked about how much we sucked. When our players went onto TV shows the actors characters in the shows would dismiss them as losers.

Ordinarily I don't like trash talk, but when the media and the other fans talk trash to you, you need to turn it back on them. I want the rest of the league and the league's fans to hate our guts out of jealousy than to mock us out of contempt.

I hope our boys continue to talk trash and annoy everyone, and then beat them.

And yet here we are discussing it. Cimini follows the Francessa school of generating talk.

1.Say inflammatory sh*t

2. ??????

3. Profit

Definitely some truth to that. The funny thing is, while I have no problem mocking his written diarrhea when it's reposted here, but just like with Francessa I will be sure to never actually indulge in it myself and give either of them the satisfaction of additional listeners/readers. Frankly, I have no idea why any Jets fan would want anything to do with either of those intolerable douchebags.

Archived