Last nights playcalling

19andOhWait

I thought last nights playcalling sucked as usual. How were we not ready for a blitzing defense? Without the Dez injury and the punt block we lose by two touchdowns because we can't do shi* in the first half of a football game.

Its baffling to me. Where were the quick slants to Santonio or D-mase? Or a little play action draw up the middle of the blitz? Or a nice out route with Keller?

And 3 throws to start the game????? Are you kidding me Schotty?

With all the new pieces, maybe this was bound to happen... I just hope we look more fluid against the Jags.

Tom Moore - coach em up man, we're gonna need you

What's wrong with getting Sanchez warmed up earlier? Last year he constantly struggled until the 2nd half, but if we give him more opportunities early, I feel he'll be ready earlier in the game. I didn't mind the playcalling this game at all, besides a few silly 2nd and 10 runs. For once Schotty was decent aside from the few routes that were less > the 1st down marker when it was 3rd and they need the 1st.

I thought last nights playcalling sucked as usual. How were we not ready for a blitzing defense? Without the Dez injury and the punt block we lose by two touchdowns because we can't do shi* in the first half of a football game.

Its baffling to me. Where were the quick slants to Santonio or D-mase? Or a little play action draw up the middle of the blitz? Or a nice out route with Keller?

With all the new pieces, maybe this was bound to happen... I just hope we look more fluid against the Jags.

There were numerous quick slants to Holmes and a number of those blitz killing lateral passes out to holmes and burress, there was also a draw right up the middle with LT that was absolutely stuffed. They pretty much ran every single play you are complaining that they didn't run.

Ah. Ill just go fvck myself then.

my point I guess is that I agree with jetman, we wont win 12 games with this playcalling and we will be on the road for a 3rd year in a row

nobody is telling you to fvck yourself. i am sure a few play calls could have been changed, but overall it was decent.almost 400 yards of offense.at least schotty didnt say "jeez, the cowboys befensive backs are in shambles. lets run the ball 40 times"

You're right, the playcalling sucked. I got home from work and missed the 1st Qtr but there was some usual questionable play calling at certain times of the game for the 3 qtrs that I seen.

For the most part, the Jets beat themselves when they do lose, however I must say, Sanchez did beat a team that defense for the most part (well I should say front 7) showed up last night. If the cowboys had a fresh secondary we may have lost that game.

P.S. We should have traded Lowery for Ware lol. F'ing beast of a man I tell ya. You hear about ware alot but rarely do I watch the cowboys play. This guy has "street cred" in my book after last night.

The Jets dont run enough Screens , they dont run enough Draws, they dont run enough Playaction, they are still predictable unless they run the No Huddle. That is all.

I will say, I think the Jets were out-coached on both sides of the ball last night. There were a couple of real head scratchers by Shotty per usual but tough to call a good game when you have ZERO running game. Who's to fault I'm sure there's enough blame to go around.

But they won the game, which is all that matters really.

Tom Moore isn't a coach. He's an adviser, and I believe he is home in South Carolina

Shotty blocked Ware last night

Shotty opened huge running holes for Green

It's all Shotty's fault

I love this concept that the players screwing up automatically absolves an OC of any blame for a sh*tty offensive gameplan or horrible calls. By this logic, unless any single person is to blame, then absolutely nobody is to blame. I guess Sanchez is a perfect QB, because he's not the only one who made mistakes last night, so nothing that happened was his fault.

I thought the playcalling was fine, the offensive line was absolutely putrid last night. There was no run game to speak of.

Our biggest concerns about the Jets got exploited last night. 1) Lack of a consistent pass rush. 2) Eric Smith got benched because he cannot cover...like at all. 3) Our linebackers get exploited up the middle.

I have no idea why they insist on getting the rolls royce for corners, but are content with junk yard cars for safeties. You can't have two safeties who have problems in coverage. Leonhard has size limitations and Smith is just not very agile.

3 throws to start the game was not a bad thing - Dallas came in with a depleted secondary.

The reality is, Demarcus Ware made our offense look ridiculous most of the game. Schotty made some great 2nd half adjustments, and because we were down by so many scores, they had no choice but to let Sanchez throw it. Smartest thing they did was after Sanchez threw the pick-6, they didn't get conservative and over-react. They told him get back out there and throw it. Kid responded well.

Reality is, the Jets came out and handed Dallas a chance to win. Not all on Schotty, not all on Sanchez... its not like Rex's vaunted defense helped either, they got steamrolled on the opening drive... but they hung around and pulled it out.

They need to be better. I don't think anyone would deny that.

I thought the playcalling was fine, the offensive line was absolutely putrid last night. There was no run game to speak of.

Our biggest concerns about the Jets got exploited last night. 1) Lack of a consistent pass rush. 2) Eric Smith got benched because he cannot cover...like at all. 3) Our linebackers get exploited up the middle.

I have no idea why they insist on getting the rolls royce for corners, but are content with junk yard cars for safeties. You can't have two safeties who have problems in coverage. Leonhard has size limitations and Smith is just not very agile.

Rex likes to force the opposing offenses to make plays in the middle of the field... probably a model he developed with Ray Lewis. We don't defend the TE well as a result.

3 throws to start the game was not a bad thing - Dallas came in with a depleted secondary.

The reality is, Demarcus Ware made our offense look ridiculous most of the game. Schotty made some great 2nd half adjustments, and because we were down by so many scores, they had no choice but to let Sanchez throw it. Smartest thing they did was after Sanchez threw the pick-6, they didn't get conservative and over-react. They told him get back out there and throw it. Kid responded well.

Reality is, the Jets came out and handed Dallas a chance to win. Not all on Schotty, not all on Sanchez... its not like Rex's vaunted defense helped either, they got steamrolled on the opening drive... but they hung around and pulled it out.

Defense came out flat, like against the Steelers. That was disappointing. But they came up big later in the game.

Ware is a beast and all, but everyone on the O-line was having problems. I don't know if Hunter got rattled, but he had a bench-worthy performance, even when they didn't have Ware lined up against him. Hopefully, he can turn things around because it's not like finding a starting RT is easy or anything.

Ah. Ill just go fvck myself then.

my point I guess is that I agree with jetman, we wont win 12 games with this playcalling and we will be on the road for a 3rd year in a row

You're a good poster. Don't go **** yourself. Keep posting brother. I agree shady playcalling last night

*looks at Max for approval*

Defense came out flat, like against the Steelers. That was disappointing. But they came up big later in the game.

Ware is a beast and all, but everyone on the O-line was having problems. I don't know if Hunter got rattled, but he had a bench-worthy performance, even when they didn't have Ware lined up against him. Hopefully, he can turn things around because it's not like finding a starting RT is easy or anything.

No arguments here, the defense was eerily similar to the AFCC game, said this in the game thread.

Ironically, the Ravens grabbed Bryant McKinnie off the street - plugged him in and moved Oher to the right side.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that we'll bring in one of these veterans that were cut recently now that we don't have to guarantee their salary. Or even bring back Woody...

Shotty is stilla problem. Why the hell does he have LT running it up the gut?Enough already!

Well, you can't completely abandon something even if it's not working as you lose once you become one dimensional. But it's more of the timing that he makes some of these calls ya know. It's like, "WTF?"

Sometimes they're major momentum killers.

I've never been so unhappy about being so right. He still sucks as much as ever. He's really horrid.

Do we have to do this just for the sake of doing this?? Even the biggest Schotty hater has to see that this is getting absurd. NOT ONE GAME has gone by where there isn't a thread like this. Last year, all I heard was that we don't open it up. We are too conservative. Last night we threw 44 times and ran 11. Sanchez threw for 17 first downs. He had multiple big gain passes including a 28 yard TD, a 33 yard strike to Cumberland.....etc We spread the ball around as evenly as you could. Another complaint was that Keller isn't involved. He had six catches and a TD.

Personally, I am numb to the sh*t and I've regressed to simply counting W's and L's a category in which Rex, schotty, and the other dude (what's his name? Pettine? Is that Rex's brother in law or something?....anyway) a category in which they are all doing pretty well, including 4-2 in the playoffs, so I could really give a crap, but please....JN, is there any doubt that if we had run the ground and pound all day, this thread would be here. If we won by three touchdowns, it would be here. Show me a thread where a schotty hater said, "you know, the playcalling wasn't that bad yesterday." and I'll eat my wallet. lol (ill post it on youtube lol)

seriously, are you telling me in the past two years, we have gone to back to back AFC championship games, and NOT ONCE has schotty called a decent game???

LMAO I'm sorry, from here on out I promise to stay out of these threads (and they WILL be here all year, every week), but I had to chime in because it IS hysterical.

lmao

Do we have to do this just for the sake of doing this?? Even the biggest Schotty hater has to see that this is getting absurd. NOT ONE GAME has gone by where there isn't a thread like this. Last year, all I heard was that we don't open it up. We are too conservative. Last night we threw 44 times and ran 11. Sanchez threw for 17 first downs. He had multiple big gain passes including a 28 yard TD, a 33 yard strike to Cumberland.....etc We spread the ball around as evenly as you could. Another complaint was that Keller isn't involved. He had six catches and a TD.

Personally, I am numb to the sh*t and I've regressed to simply counting W's and L's a category in which Rex, schotty, and the other dude (what's his name? Pettine? Is that Rex's brother in law or something?....anyway) a category in which they are all doing pretty well, including 4-2 in the playoffs, so I could really give a crap, but please....JN, is there any doubt that if we had run the ground and pound all day, this thread would be here. If we won by three touchdowns, it would be here. Show me a thread where a schotty hater said, "you know, the playcalling wasn't that bad yesterday." and I'll eat my wallet. lol (ill post it on youtube lol)

seriously, are you telling me in the past two years, we have gone to back to back AFC championship games, and NOT ONCE has schotty called a decent game???

LMAO I'm sorry, from here on out I promise to stay out of these threads (and they WILL be here all year, every week), but I had to chime in because it IS hysterical.

lmao

You do make a lot of sense, you really do. But Shotty sux. Wha? Just saying.

I dont see what was so bad about any playcalling yesterday. Maybe there was a play early on that was 3rd and 4 where they went shotgun spread and I think another where they motioned into a spread in a similar situation which is always a pet peeve of mine, but the majority of the failure came from the offensive line and Sanchez just being on a totally different page than his wideouts when it came to reading the blitz. The Jets did even screen a few times to beat the pressure, something they rarely did in the past. There was none of the head scratching stuff where you bunch the WRs together in patterns or are going for bombs on every 3rd and 3.

The offense does look disjointed at times but some of that blame should also go on the head coach if they are not prepared. The last set of downs was miserable playcalling but I think that was an overall coaching situation where they were debating if they should be trying for an easier FG attempt with no time left or playing for a safety offense and go for a 50 yarder and didnt think anything through the way they normally would and just ran a series of plays that seemed to not really fit either situation. Thats as much on Rex as Schottenheimer.

Excellent post.

Sanchez struggled to find his rythm, our offensive line struggled against the pass rush and especially DeMarcus Ware, Shotty Jr struggled during the 1st two quarters in terms of getting the offense going, Rex Ryan's defense struggled allowing way too many yards, Revis got beat by Bryant, but when the game was on the line? All of the above stepped up and created game changing plays. That's what championship teams do. We've been to the AFC Championship game during consecutive seasons for one reason and one reason only... No matter the situation, no matter the circumstances; this team finds ways to win (much more often than not). We just snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. What we seen last night isn't something that our fan base has been accustomed to over the years, but then again, we're usually the fan base that's been on the wrong side of the sticks watching Dan Marino pull off a fake spike, living through a 1-15 season, or better yet, having false hope when watching Chad Pennington crap the bed when trying to come from behind in obvious passing situations during the 4th quarter. We don't have these problems anymore. Sanchez was born to live under these pressure moments of a football game. Things have changed. It's time we change as a fan base as well.

The offense got started slow as usual, but I don't know how much of that is on Sanchez and how much on Schotty; but that's their biggest problem, imo. They need to find a way to get into a rhythm earlier and have success early. I think they only scored something like 2 touchdowns in the first quarter all of last year? I wish Ware hadn't have steamrolled Hunter on that first play, cause the next two passes would have been a 1st down without those negative yards. It might have been a completely different game without that sack.

Archived