The problem is personnel

sirlancemehlot

LOST TALENT

Braylon Edwards was a better Jet and a real deep threat, unlike Plaxico.

Jericho Cotchery was clutch on third downs and played with guts, unlike Mason.

Jeremy Kerley cannot replace Brad Smith in any way, shape or form.

Wayne Hunter isn't a shadow of the talent that Woody was.

We don't have a replacement on specials for Ihedigbo, who was lights-out.

John Connor is not as good a lead blocker as T-Rich.

We haven't replaced Hartsocks blocking ability at TE (who knew that would be an issue?)

Shaun Ellis was a beast against the run. Our beast-in-training can't replace him. Not yet anyway.

BAD DRAFTS

Drafting Ducasse was a huge blow to the depth and development of our line. He ain't got it and ain't getting it.

Expected more from Kenrick Ellis...guess jury will be out on him for a while (no pun intended)

Kyle Wilson never developed into a starting corner--we're stuck with Cro.

Sanchez has yet to play like a top 5 overall pick. He's been passed up by a few QB's in his and later classes.

McKnight is a non-entity in this offense. Is it him or Schotty? Or can he just not pick up the blitz?

Bilal Powell? WTF? We wasted his time and ours with that pick.

Scotty McKnight. Don't need to say it. He should have been a guard/tackle with long-term potential. we got cute.

Bottom line is i think our great and powerful Tannenbaum screwed the pooch this offseason starting with playing grab-a$$ with Asomougha, and ending with offering Shaun Ellis league minimum. Losing Cotch was a direct result of hiring Plax/Mason. Neither of whom has been special. I think, quite simply, we are a worse team than last year. We were outplayed by the Cowboys and physically dominated by the Raiders. Beating the McClown led Jags was simply running over a train-wreck of a team. I'm not as optimistic as some of you guys are for this season. But I remain grimly hopeful. Wht choice do i have?

Meanwhile, Bray is out with an injury, Cotch has yet to be ACTIVATED by the Steelers, Woody and T-Rich both retired, and Jeremy Kerley had a good game in PR today.

The real problem is that we have no real pass rushers on this team...That can take on an OL one on one and get to the QB. We couldn't send those exotic blitzes today because we needed to have LBs and Safeties available to fill the running gaps. When they ran play action, Campbell had at least 10 seconds to throw...

That being said, I think we will be fine. Keep in mind no Mangold or Turner today, and Wayne Hunter looks downright overwhelmed. Not sure if it was the lockout or whatever, but Hunter looks 10 steps slower and weaker then he was late in the season and in the playoffs last year.

Oh boy. Where to begin?

LOST TALENT

Braylon Edwards was a better Jet and a real deep threat, unlike Plaxico. Plaxico is a fine deep threat and had a very good game today. Braylon is an alcoholic with a bum knee.

Jericho Cotchery was clutch on third downs and played with guts, unlike Mason. Cotch was awful last year and hasn't seen the field for the Steelers. Mason, for our 4th or 5th option, is fine.

Jeremy Kerley cannot replace Brad Smith in any way, shape or form. Who cares? Kerley isn't the one making $16 million

Wayne Hunter isn't a shadow of the talent that Woody was. Woody retired. He's gone. Was this Tanenbaum's fault that Woody got old?

We don't have a replacement on specials for Ihedigbo, who was lights-out. Yes we do. His name is Mike Westhoff/

John Connor is not as good a lead blocker as T-Rich. See Woody, Damien.

We haven't replaced Hartsocks blocking ability at TE (who knew that would be an issue?) Mulligan has been OK.

Shaun Ellis was a beast against the run. Our beast-in-training can't replace him. Not yet anyway. We shut down Felix Jones and MJD with this run D. Think Ellis would have helped against McFadden?

BAD DRAFTS

Drafting Ducasse was a huge blow to the depth and development of our line. He ain't got it and ain't getting it. He's one of 3 tackles on the roster. The CS believes in him, apparently.

Expected more from Kenrick Ellis...guess jury will be out on him for a while (no pun intended)

Kyle Wilson never developed into a starting corner--we're stuck with Cro. Wilson is having a fine season. He's better than Cro right now.

Sanchez has yet to play like a top 5 overall pick. He's been passed up by a few QB's in his and later classes. This I agree with. Still can't discount his 90+ QB rating in the playoffs.

McKnight is a non-entity in this offense. Is it him or Schotty? Or can he just not pick up the blitz? LT does McKnight's job much better. For now, specials it is.

Bilal Powell? WTF? We wasted his time and ours with that pick. We don't need 4 active RB's on gameday.

Scotty McKnight. Don't need to say it. He should have been a guard/tackle with long-term potential. we got cute. Agreed.

Bottom line is i think our great and powerful Tannenbaum screwed the pooch this offseason starting with playing grab-a$$ with Asomougha, and ending with offering Shaun Ellis league minimum. The Patriots offered Ellis 5 times as much as we did to Ellis. He's not worth $5 million to play a backup role. Boy is Ellis doing so well with the Pats too! Losing Cotch was a direct result of hiring Plax/Mason. Neither of whom has been special. I think, quite simply, we are a worse team than last year. We were outplayed by the Cowboys and physically dominated by the Raiders. Beating the McClown led Jags was simply running over a train-wreck of a team. I'm not as optimistic as some of you guys are for this season. But I remain grimly hopeful. Wht choice do i have? Calm down and enjoy the rest of the season?

From reading this post it's almost like the worlds gonna end and our season is over. I'm pissed off at the loss and know that there's 2 real tough games ahead of us but we'll be fine. Personally I'm eating a ton of crow when it comes to Plax. Dude can ball still after being in prison and a big time player...and lays the lumber on run blocking.

Wilson's been great through 3 games. No complaints at all to be honest.

What I don't understand is giving Santonio 50 mil if he was just going to be another guy. Might as well have just given that to Aso and not have had to deal with Cro's nonsense.

I'm starting to think we did not need cro or aso.

Should have got a pass rusher and a safety.

Oh boy. Where to begin?

because someone who left is paid more elsewhere doesn't make us a better team for thier leaving. That doesn't make any sense. ,Because someone retired does not mean we are a better team without them unless they are aptly replaced with equal or better talent. Right? We don't need Powell on gameday, you say...exactly! Why didn't we draft a lineman or two instead? Mulligan has not replaced Hartstock, Ducasse is not on the roster because someone "believes in him". I think we know why he hasn't been sent packing yet.

Overall, honestly, do you think we are as talented, less talented or the same as last year? I won't argue with your opinion, just curious.

because someone who left is paid more elsewhere doesn't make us a better team for thier leaving. That doesn't make any sense. ,Because someone retired does not mean we are a better team without them unless they are aptly replaced with equal or better talent. Right? We don't need Powell on gameday, you say...exactly! Why didn't we draft a lineman or two instead? Mulligan has not replaced Hartstock, Ducasse is not on the roster because someone "believes in him". I think we know why he hasn't been sent packing yet.

Overall, honestly, do you think we are as talented, less talented or the same as last year? I won't argue with your opinion, just curious.

The difference between Jeremy Kerley and Brad Smith, or between Shaun Ellis and Mo Wilkerson, or Connor and Richardson are the reason we are struggling right now. Woody and Hunter? Okay, sure. The fact is though we had just spent a 2nd rder on a T/G in Ducasse last year, and Hunter played great when he was made starter due to Woody's injury at the end of last season and into the playoffs. Would have been hard to justify using a high draft pick on another T based on all that.

Since your main complaints with my points were with relatively non-essential personnel (like our # 4 running back, backup DE, blocking TE and backup OT), I dont need to argue this further. Mason >>>>> Cotchery and Plax >>>>>> Braylon since neither of the guys we lost have even really seen the field for their current teams.

Equal talent sans the line. Sanchez is the back breaker with that. The receivers are fine.

Easy to say. There were no real pass rushers on the market that would have been any kind of significant upgrade.

Where?

Cro is a top 10 corner in the league who has the misfortune of playing opposite Revis, because nobody even looks at Revis's side of the field anymore.

And yes, I did just quote myself. However that was intended for Brooklyn (I think) who responded to this post. Although I must admit I do like talking to myself, I usually win those arguments pretty easily.

Where?

Cro is a top 10 corner in the league who has the misfortune of playing opposite Revis, because nobody even looks at Revis's side of the field anymore.

And yes, I did just quote myself. However that was intended for Brooklyn (I think) who responded to this post. Although I must admit I do like talking to myself, I usually win those arguments pretty easily.

I don't know where, I said I would start with pass rush and safety.

After today I'm not so sure we needed cro, Willson and Strickland look fine.

Since your main complaints with my points were with relatively non-essential personnel (like our # 4 running back, backup DE, blocking TE and backup OT), I dont need to argue this further. Mason >>>>> Cotchery and Plax >>>>>> Braylon since neither of the guys we lost have even really seen the field for their current teams.

Very slick answer in that it avoids every question I posed. Are we more or less talented than last year? You don't even have to explain. I'll take your opinion at face value. I believe we have not improved our personnel from last year. My hope was that the maturation of the players we did keep would balance that out. But so far it hasn't.

Very slick answer in that it avoids every question I posed. Are we more or less talented than last year? You don't even have to explain. I'll take your opinion at face value. I believe we have not improved our personnel from last year. My hope was that the maturation of the players we did keep would balance that out. But so far it hasn't.

Yes, I think we have more talent than last season.

I honestly think we are less talented. Brad Smith was huge for us, Woody was so much better than Wayne Hunter, Offensive line depth is a travesty, letting shaun ellis go was a big mistake.

I honestly think we are less talented. Brad Smith was huge for us, Woody was so much better than Wayne Hunter, Offensive line depth is a travesty, letting shaun ellis go was a big mistake.

In Buffalo's 3-0 start, has anyone given Brad Smith credit for those victories? Enough to justify paying him $16 million? Hunter replaced Woody at the end of last season and was part of our playoff run. I'm not sure what's wrong with him so far this year but the entire OL has prett much sucked. Shaun Ellis is doing nothing for New England's awful defense.

The JETS have regressed on the line.

On one end you cannot protect the QB and on the other you cannot pressure the QB. We got dominated on both ends of the line today. A major factor in todays loss.

At this rate not sure if we can keep Sanchez on the field for 16 games.

And now that we gave up 234 yards, teams playing us next will take note!

Wilson's been great through 3 games. No complaints at all to be honest.

What I don't understand is giving Santonio 50 mil if he was just going to be another guy. Might as well have just given that to Aso and not have had to deal with Cro's nonsense.

Stop it Santonio is top 5 man TOP 5 . Dont forget he gave us a discount staying here for 10 per.

I agree with the thread title and not much else. I believe that the Jets are as talented as last season. When you consider how many free agents they had, that is quite and achievement. They were supposed to be getting improvement from Sanchez. That was supposed to be the big change. I can't imagine anybody complaining about Plaxico or Mason after today. They both had very good games. I can't imagine anybody thinking Cotchery was going to provide more than Mason did and Burress had a big TD. The personnel problem is that the Jets D is big and slow and extreme speed can cause them some trouble if they aren't almost perfect with their lanes. They gave up a huge cutback run and a long run on the reverse primarily because of the lack of speed at LB. They can't cover the edge.

This game pissed me off, but I'm not too worried about it being a recurring problem. Going into Oakland, these late games out west are often trouble for the Jets. A huge factor is the kicking game. The Raiders kicked damn field goals when they were barely in Jets territory. Lechler changed field position a couple of times when the Jets looked like they were winning the battle of field position. Special teams has won a few games for the Jets, but I'd sure give the Raiders the edge there today.

Seriously? I bet we can make a list like this about every ******* team. We lost one ******* game against the Oakland Raiders. It's not like we're going 16-0. We lost and now it's time to focus on the Ravens.

I want to say so much more, but I'm not trying to get banned. There's some girls around this joint.

LOST TALENT

Braylon Edwards was a better Jet and a real deep threat, unlike Plaxico.

Jericho Cotchery was clutch on third downs and played with guts, unlike Mason.

Jeremy Kerley cannot replace Brad Smith in any way, shape or form.

Wayne Hunter isn't a shadow of the talent that Woody was.

We don't have a replacement on specials for Ihedigbo, who was lights-out.

John Connor is not as good a lead blocker as T-Rich.

We haven't replaced Hartsocks blocking ability at TE (who knew that would be an issue?)

Shaun Ellis was a beast against the run. Our beast-in-training can't replace him. Not yet anyway.

BAD DRAFTS

Drafting Ducasse was a huge blow to the depth and development of our line. He ain't got it and ain't getting it.

Kyle Wilson never developed into a starting corner--we're stuck with Cro.

Sanchez has yet to play like a top 5 overall pick. He's been passed up by a few QB's in his and later classes.

McKnight is a non-entity in this offense. Is it him or Schotty? Or can he just not pick up the blitz?

Bilal Powell? WTF? We wasted his time and ours with that pick.

Scotty McKnight. Don't need to say it. He should have been a guard/tackle with long-term potential. we got cute.

Bottom line is i think our great and powerful Tannenbaum screwed the pooch this offseason starting with playing grab-a$$ with Asomougha, and ending with offering Shaun Ellis league minimum. Losing Cotch was a direct result of hiring Plax/Mason. Neither of whom has been special. I think, quite simply, we are a worse team than last year. We were outplayed by the Cowboys and physically dominated by the Raiders. Beating the McClown led Jags was simply running over a train-wreck of a team. I'm not as optimistic as some of you guys are for this season. But I remain grimly hopeful. Wht choice do i have?

An error occurred

You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day

Oh boy. Where to begin?

great post 80. I hated losing of course but I enjoyed the game right down to the very last second. I credit Sanchez & LT for the lions share of watching an exciting game.

Lets all enjoy the rest of the season. The sky ain't falling. If it starts to fall there ain't nuthin we as fans can do about it.

I am not ready to 2nd guess this CS & front office

I don't think it's personnel as much as scheme. If you can block the Jets' blitz, you can get your inside receivers open all day long vs. our lumbering LBs. Rex needs to go back to the drawing board for some new tricks, or he needs to find an OLB and a SS that can run.

Hey Tom

This team misses Hartsock...don't kid yourself

Archived