Joe McKnight Needs To Be The Starting HB

SoFlaJets

Yes please. Some changes need to be made. Something to wake up this offense. If that means teaching some players then so be it. If Greene really is as good as the jets make up to be then bench his a$$ and make him work for it. Considering how bad our oline is playing he's not helping at all, and neither is schitty.

How would we know what Joe McKnight, or anyone else, for that matter can do if they never get into the game ? When has Shotty EVER worked anyone into the line up ? i could see it now bring in McKnight and run him up the middle.

Run mcknight up the middle? Thats retarded....that's what we have LT for. Obviously that's his strength at this point in the game.

I don't know that McKnight should be starting, but I'd like to see him in there at least some.

Only reason I can think of is they're paranoid at the thought of him not picking up a blitz, and it would be obvious that he's in only when we run and never when we pass.

But we sure need something other than Greene or LT plodding up the gut for 2 yards or less on first downs.

It's kind of hard to rush the football, with any type of success, without an offensive line that can hold it's own. Cross that; it's impossible unless you have Barry Sanders of the 90's on your roster.

Look at the career numbers of both Shonn Greene and LT. Look at their average yards per rush. Shonn Greene has an average yards per rush of 4.3 during his short career. Why? Because over the past two years, our offensive line has been grade A1. Tomlinson has a career average of 4.3 yards per carry. Why? Because not only has be been a a HOF talent, but he's always had good offensive lines in SD (minus 2 years). LT also averaged 4.2 yards per rush attempt with the Jets last season.

But yet, here in 2011? Our offensive line has been pathetic. That's all there is to it. Greene has averaged only 3.1 yards per carry, and LT has an average of only 3 yards per carry thus far after 4 weeks. To blame "Shonn Greene" for lack of success is extremely foolish, especially considering the fact that he's a really good back when running behind an offensive line. LT only averaged 3.3 yards per carry back in 2009. Why? Because SD's offensive line was beyond horrible. It's sad, but as of right now? That SD O-Line was better than what our offensive line has been thus far.

It's a small sample size, but Joe McKnight averaged 4.8 yards per carry last season. This year? Not even close. Once again, it's a small sample size, but McKnight has ONLY averaged 2.3 yards per carry.

If you really think that Joe McKnight would change our ground and pound into success... You're either naive or clueless. Regardless of the back, it's all about the offensive line. As of right now, we have no offensive line. Without Mangold... Joe McKnight would get destroyed behind the LOS.

It's predictable scheme and mentality combined with a weak OL and a QB who's still not ready. There is no place for ANY running back to move. The whole thing is pathetic. That said it's probably a good time to involve McNight into the O. Ground and pound is dead and they need some type of dynamic playmaker out of the backfield to at least, hopfully try and loosen up the defenses. Kerley and McNight somehow need to become more involved.

It's kind of hard to rush the football, with any type of success, without an offensive line that can hold it's own. Cross that; it's impossible unless you have Barry Sanders of the 90's on your roster.

Look at the career numbers of both Shonn Greene and LT. Look at their average yards per rush. Shonn Greene has an average yards per rush of 4.3 during his short career. Tomlinson has a career average of 4.3 yards per carry. LT also averaged 4.2 yards per rush attempt with the Jets last season.

But yet, here in 2011? Our offensive line has been pathetic. That's all there is to it. Greene has averaged only 3.1 yards per carry, and LT has an average of only 3 yards per carry thus far after 4 weeks. To blame "Shonn Greene" for this is extremely foolish, he's a good back.

It's a small sample size, but Joe McKnight averaged 4.8 yards per carry last season. This year? Not even close. Once again, it's a small sample size, but McKnight has ONLY averaged 2.3 yards per carry.

If you really think that Joe McKnight would change our ground and pound into success... You're either naive or clueless. Regardless of the back, it's all about the offensive line. As of right now, we have no offensive line. Without Mangold... Joe McKnight would get destroyed behind the LOS.

I can't argue with your stats, but at the same time McKnight has gotten only 6 carries all season so far. Greene is up to 51 and LT is at 20. It's obvious McKnight has shown at least something to warrant more touches on offense while Greene hasn't show anything. I'm not saying McKnight will change the ground and pound into success, but it might offer something to help this offense because Greene obviously isn't doing it.

Even if McKnight isn't a better player than Greene, he's a much different one, and one that may be a better fit for the Jets current woes. The Jets interior blocking is a complete disaster, and the runs up the gut are going absolutely nowhere. While Greene has the occasional success on an outside run, he doesn't have the speed to beat guys to the edge and him lowering his shoulder into the defense doesn't do a damn thing when he's getting swarmed by 3 defenders at once. McKnight, while not nearly as strong, is far quicker and shiftier than Greene, and perhaps that different dynamic could have a greater success behind this crap OL. Could it end up being an utter failure? Of course, but we already know this isn't working with Greene, regardless of who's fault it is, so why not give a shot to a kid who's clearly been busting his a$$ this season and brings a different skill set to the table and see what he can do? I'm not sure he can be an every down back, so no reason to hand him a starting job, but the fact that he can't even get a chance to get on the field on offense is pretty ridiculous at this point.

I don't think it is Greene. But they should also have some speed back there some of the time. I just think their running plays suck. I know it cannot be true but to me it looks like they are running the same two or three plays almost all the time. If they are not, then their plays are disturbingly similar.

Only thing I can think is that McKnight is putting the ball on the ground in practice. Last night was a perfect time to give him a few reps. The Ravens are huge and tough up the middle. i would have thought they would have attacked the edges with speed, and made those big guys run.

They pitched to Greene a few times outside, but I would much rather have McKnight running that play

Only thing I can think is that McKnight is putting the ball on the ground in practice. Last night was a perfect time to give him a few reps. The Ravens are huge and tough up the middle. i would have thought they would have attacked the edges with speed, and made those big guys run.

They pitched to Greene a few times outside, but I would much rather have McKnight running that play

Or that he cannot protect Sanchez who's under enough pressure already.

Or that Schotty is a complete moron with no ability to adjust his game plan whatsoever.

Ok, well we know that one is true, so I guess the real question is it JUST that or a combination of that and the points you and flgreen brought up.

This.

Lamont Jordan had an offensive line....Greene doesnt. And if we change to McKnight neither will he.

And that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UAfc19tWw4

Funny, how quickly some Jet fans forget... How explosive Shonn Greene is behind an offensive line that can actually run block. Sad how quickly these same Jet fans have forgot what #23 has done for us over the past two years (especially during the playoffs).

No offense SFJ, but I saw more evidence he should be starting safety than a running back in that game.

how crazy was that ? I turned to my wife after the harris TD and said, "was that mcknight on defense" and she says "yeah, #25 right ?"

I married the right woman :-)

you people forget greene was supposed to be the number one running back last year........ but he wasnt good enough.....

i like him, but hes not the dynamic type runner you need in the nfl today to be an every down back... is mcknight that?

i dont think so, but the tailback by committee route is probably our best bet.. but who knows schotty will probably give more touches to terminator

Archived