I would like to draft a first or second round RB next year

BaltimoreJet

I think Bilal Powell is gonna be Ahmad Bradshaw eventually. It remains to be seen what the deal is with McKnight. Clearly, they don't trust him to get any significant reps on offense. Weren't the whispers that he's too, er, un-savvy to handle blocking schemes and assignments? I can't imagine they float Greene a fat second contract, either. A smaller power back who already spends a lot of time nicked up? No thanks.

I think the major needs, obviously, will be at WR, S, and OLB, but I'd love to see them invest in a more versatile TE. Cumberland and Keller are just oversized wideouts, and the carousel of stiffs they bring in to be the blocking TEs represent a wasted roster spot considering how useless they've been. I wanted Kyle Rudolph in this last draft, myself.

I like Powell as a prospect a lot. Rex says he'll suit up this week if McKnight can't go. I'd love to see him take the field. I'm still not a fan of Greene. Powell is more of a natural pass catcher, and that's what this offense needs in the backfield more than a bruiser.

I think McKnight's future is that of a 3rd down type back who gets reps lining up at WR, too. Can't see him ever being in line to carry the load.

Agree with you on the TE, too. Just as I like RB's who can both run and catch, I like TE's who can catch and block. Neither commodity should be that hard to find.

I like Powell as a prospect a lot. Rex says he'll suit up this week if McKnight can't go. I'd love to see him take the field. I'm still not a fan of Greene. Powell is more of a natural pass catcher, and that's what this offense needs in the backfield more than a bruiser.

I think McKnight's future is that of a 3rd down type back who gets reps lining up at WR, too. Can't see him ever being in line to carry the load.

Agree with you on the TE, too. Just as I like RB's who can both run and catch, I like TE's who can catch and block. Neither commodity should be that hard to find.

I like when we agree. It makes me feel better about myself.

It's a real mystery why they've ignored TE for this long, even when it was apparent that Keller is a weak link at the LOS. Probably a case of not wanting/being able to allocate any money to a backup, even though they took a swipe at Heap this off-season. But you look at what street pick-up Jake Ballard does for Eli, and how much better Flacco was with a (rarely) healthy Heap, and you wonder why they wouldn't try to give Sanchez that nice security blanket.

In my my mock draft, I have the Jets picking a back a little later on. Take a look:

Round One: Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor

Round Two: Nick Foles, QB, Arizona

Round Three: Kirk Cousins, QB, Michigan State

Round Four: Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State

Round Five: Ryan Lindley, QB, San Diego State

Round Six: Case Keenum, QB, Houston

Round Seven: Montell Harris, RB, Boston College

i think they go qb in the 7th

How does it feel to want? :biggrin:

That's just not what the Jets do. They haven't taken a RB in the first round since Blair Thomas (talk about being snake-bit). Since Bradway took over the team, the philosophy has been to draft projects at the RB position and work them in. They drafted Jordan to backup Martin, Greene to backup Thomas. They brought in 4th rounders the last two years. That's the way they treat the position. If LT retires after this year, they'll promote McKnight and start working Powell in.

I'd like to see them take a WR high, too, but they haven't done that since Santana Moss.

Next year, I'd expect to see either LB, S, or OL in the first round.

Not quite true... In 98 we gave up a 1st and 3rd pick for a back that wowed us with 3.5 ypc and a tremendous 14 yds rushing in the AFC Championship game.. :animal0029:

I see OL as a definite possibility because they've taken OL that high before, and took Ducasse in the 2nd recently and that hasn't worked out yet. They obviously see the need, and are willing to use high picks there.

LB is an obvious one. They've taken LB as high as #6 overall if I recall correctly, and they're still trying to find the player they were looking for there. It's not Maybin.

I agree safety is a longer shot because they've never shown any interest in taking the position high, but Rex is a defensive head coach who had some success with Ed Reed and watched Palumalu play against him twice a year. Can't rule it out.

I like Keller and think he's something of a safety blanket for Sanchez. I hope they extend him. If they don't think they'll be going that route, a TE could enter the mix.

As far as OL, I don't think it's a position they wouldn't be willing to go that high, I just don't think they'll have any interest this year. I think they like this OL as is, at least for the most part. The Jets are obviously set at C and LT, there's no question there. The guards aren't fantastic, but they certainly handle their own and that's not a position that I see the Jets addressing in round one. Slauson is young and has been solid and Moore's back to being himself after some early struggles, but if anything they just might want to start grooming someone behind Moore. Though let's not forget that they traded for Schlauderaff this year which very well may have been just for that purpose. So that really only leaves you with RT, where you've got Hunter starting and working on a multi-year deal and last year's second rounder in Ducasse still waiting in the wings. The only way the Jets go high for a RT would mean that the Jets plan on moving on from one of those two next offseason, and I'm just not sure that's going to happen.

I think Bilal Powell is gonna be Ahmad Bradshaw eventually. It remains to be seen what the deal is with McKnight. Clearly, they don't trust him to get any significant reps on offense. Weren't the whispers that he's too, er, un-savvy to handle blocking schemes and assignments? I can't imagine they float Greene a fat second contract, either. A smaller power back who already spends a lot of time nicked up? No thanks.

I think the major needs, obviously, will be at WR, S, and OLB, but I'd love to see them invest in a more versatile TE. Cumberland and Keller are just oversized wideouts, and the carousel of stiffs they bring in to be the blocking TEs represent a wasted roster spot considering how useless they've been. I wanted Kyle Rudolph in this last draft, myself.

Yeah, as far as RB goes I'm assuming next year you're looking at Greene/McKnight/Powell and then after that Powell/McKnight/draft pick and just keep cycling mid-rounders in and out as contracts expire. Definitely agree on a TE too, the Jets don't have one complete TE who can stay on the field and contribute for every down on the entire, never mind two as most teams have these days. Even if the Jets want to keep Keller around long term, another guy who can compliment him as a more typical TE could be great. Although at this point, I'd say smart money is on the Jets going OLB in next year's first round.

The Jets will draft an OLB to replace Thomas. If there isn't a good one available when they draft then I bet they draft BAP at S, WR or OL, most likely WR.

I'm sure they haven't given up on Ducasse, knowing he'd be a project when they drafted him.

Barring an injury to Greene I don't see them drafting another RB. They might even view McKnight as his eventual replacement.

Drafting a running back high is one of the worst moves in the business.

I strongly disagree. There aren't many starting running backs in todays game that were drafted outside of the first two rounds. If you wish to settle for mediocrity at the RB position, you draft during the later rounds and pray for a diamond in the rough. But if you dream of a dynamic back to compliment your offensive scheme; you draft during the first two rounds.

I love Shonn Greene's style of power rushing, but when you have a potential franchise QB in Sanchez, behind a strong offensive line... An elite running back could create for an extremely dynamic/explosive offensive attack.

Adrian Peterson: Round 1, pick 7.

Darren McFadden: Round 1, pick 4.

Chris Johnson: Round 1, pick 24.

Beanie Wells: Round 1, pick 31.

Ryan Mathews: Round 1, pick 12.

Willis McGahee: Round 1, pick 23 / Knowshon Moreno, rond 1, pick 12.

Rashard Mendenhall: Round 1, pick 23.

Joseph Addai: Round 1, pick 30.

Jahvid Best: Round 1, pick 30.

Reggie Bush: Round 1, pick 2.

Felix Jones: Round 1, pick 22.

DeAngelo Williams: Round 1, pick 27 / Jonathan Stewart, Round 1 pick 13.

Marshawn Lynch: Round 1, pick 12.

Cedric Benson: Round 1, pick 4.

Steven Jackson: Round 1, pick 24.

Ray Rice: Round 2, pick 55.

Matt Forte: Round 2, pick 44.

Maurice Jones-Drew: Round 2, pick 60.

LeSean McCoy: Round 2, pick 53.

Some of these players haven't lived up to their college hype, some have been hurt, some are currently hurt... But to sit here and say "drafting a running back high is one of the worst moves in the business" is completely false; especially considering the fact that 19 of 32 starting running backs have been drafted high during either the 1st or 2nd rounds. None of these RB's drafted during the 1st or 2nd round turned into Blair Thomas.

I'm sure the Titans are kicking themselves.

Why? Because it's only been 8 games, or is it because they've paid a running back who's put up 4,598 yards and 34 rushing TD's during his first 3 years in the league? That's an average of 1,532 yards and 11.3 TD's per season. Chris Johnson also put up 137 receptions, 1008 yards and 4 TD's catching out of the backfield during his first 3 years. How could the Titans NOT have paid a dynamic franchise back such as Chris Johnson?!? Hindsight is always 20/20, but it's foolish to act as if the Titans made a mistake A.) Drafting the kid or B.) Signing him long term. He's had a down season after 8 games, it could because he sat out during training camp, but I believe it's safe to say that Chris Johnson is one of the best NFL running backs in the game today. Even on a down year, he's still put up 572 offensive yards thus far through 8 games. He just turned 26 years of age, you're acting as if the book has been closed on CJ all because of 8 games...He's an outstanding 1st round talent.

Forte is having a great year and he had a great year in 2008, but he sucked in 2009 and wasn't anything so special last year.
Dude, what are you talking about in regards to Matt Forte? Sucked in 2009? That's a first for me. Forte put up 929 rushing yards and 4 rushing TD's in 2009. He also put up 57 receptions for 471 yards. Since when has 1,400 offensive yards and 57 receptions "sucked"? And last year wasn't anything special? He rushed for over 1,000 yards and 6 TD's with 51 receptions for 547 yards and 3 TD's. I'd have to say that 1,500+ offensive yards and 9 TD's is pretty special for a 2nd round draft pick. He's only 25 years of age.

I strongly disagree. There aren't many starting running backs in todays game that were drafted outside of the first two rounds. If you wish to settle for mediocrity at the RB position, you draft during the later rounds and pray for a diamond in the rough. But if you dream of a dynamic back to compliment your offensive scheme; you draft during the first two rounds.

I love Shonn Greene's style of power rushing, but when you have a potential franchise QB in Sanchez, behind a strong offensive line... An elite running back could create for an extremely dynamic/explosive offensive attack.

Some of these players haven't lived up to their college hype, some have been hurt, some are currently hurt... But to sit here and say "drafting a running back high is one of the worst moves in the business" is completely false; especially considering the fact that 19 of 32 starting running backs have been drafted high during either the 1st or 2nd rounds. None of these RB's drafted during the 1st or 2nd round turned into Blair Thomas.

Why? Because it's only been 8 games, or is it because they've paid a running back who's put up 4,598 yards and 34 rushing TD's during his first 3 years in the league? That's an average of 1,532 yards and 11.3 TD's per season. Chris Johnson also put up 137 receptions, 1008 yards and 4 TD's catching out of the backfield during his first 3 years. How could the Titans NOT have paid a dynamic franchise back such as Chris Johnson?!? Hindsight is always 20/20, but it's foolish to act as if the Titans made a mistake A.) Drafting the kid or B.) Signing him long term. He's had a down season after 8 games, it could because he sat out during training camp, but I believe it's safe to say that Chris Johnson is one of the best NFL running backs in the game today. Even on a down year, he's still put up 572 offensive yards thus far through 8 games. He just turned 26 years of age, you're acting as if the book has been closed on CJ all because of 8 games...He's an outstanding 1st round talent.

Dude, what are you talking about in regards to Matt Forte? Sucked in 2009? That's a first for me. Forte put up 929 rushing yards and 4 rushing TD's in 2009. He also put up 57 receptions for 471 yards. Since when has 1,400 offensive yards and 57 receptions "sucked"? And last year wasn't anything special? He rushed for over 1,000 yards and 6 TD's with 51 receptions for 547 yards and 3 TD's. I'd have to say that 1,500+ offensive yards and 9 TD's is pretty special for a 2nd round draft pick. He's only 25 years of age.

3.6 yards per carry sucks. And no, last year was not special. He's solid.

As to your list,

Adrian Peterson was taken #7 overall and is a unique talent. One doesn't come out every year and we will not pick #7.

McFadden was taken #5 overall. We will not pick #5. Despite his talent (read: speed) is totally unreliable.

Chris Johnson is awful now. You may be the only living person who thinks otherwise.

Knowshon Moreno is a bust.

Wells is awful value for a first round pick. He had good games his first 3 weeks against horrid rush defenses. Since then he blows.

McGahee was cast away by two teams and basically feasts on lousy rush defenses.

Ryan Matthews has never had a good outing in his career against a decent defense.

Mendenhall is fine but certainly nothing special.

Addai sucks. This is an example of what you want out of our first round pick?

Jahvid Best had one great game and is now injured. Awful round 1 value so far.

Reggie Bush was the most overhyped RB prospect ever. He's a 3rd down back who backed up undrafted RBs.

Felix Jones is best-suited to share carries and is currently being outplayed by a 3rd round rookie.

Williams/Stewart - if we use 2 first round picks on RB's in 3 years, Jets fans with rifles will be in Tannenbaum's neighborhood.

Lynch lost his starting job to undrafted Fred Jackson. CJ Spiller (#9 overall pick) is backing him up now as well.

Cedric Benson was a total bust for Chicago, is a head case, a criminal, and was trash until his 5th NFL season. One good NFL season in 7 years.

Steven Jackson is a stud and always was. Players like him are rare in any round.

Matt Forte, now in his 4th year (his contract year) he's finally having his first special season.

Rice, Jones-Drew, and McCoy were all taken at the bottom of round 2. Greene was taken pick #1 in round 3. If Greene was taken 1 slot earlier, in round 2, would that matter?

At some point you must realize that these guys are starters largely because of the investment the team made in them rather than because of their supposed greatness.

Rushing:-7.1% DVOA (38th), 20 DYAR (38th)

Receiving: 33.1% DVOA (8th), 201 DYAR (2nd)

Rushing:-15.5% DVOA (44th), -75 DYAR (47th)

Receiving: -1.1% DVOA (33rd), 45 DYAR (25th)

Rushing: 0.4% DVOA (20th), 87 DYAR (20th)

Receiving: 14.0% DVOA (22nd), 105 DYAR (12th)

I don't know why I'm doing this either.

I like taking RB's high because their careers are close to over by the time they're done with their rookie contracts, anyway. I'd never invest in a FA RB. Even if you don't play him much as a rookie (blitz pickup concerns, etc.), you can still ride him from his sophomore season forward - getting the best years out of a solid prospect.

But again, that's not the Jets' philosophy, and the whole league has gone to the RB by committee model. And the Jets have their committee in place thru next year at least.

I like drafting RB's high because I'm from the olden days when you were waiting on the edge of you seat to see what Earl or Billy Simms was going to do every week. That's why I HATED Blair Thomas. The team was in great shape at RB and Blair Thomas was not an exciting prospect. I liked Murrell and Richie Anderson better coming out of college outright, but I was a kid. They didn't have much luck with Anthony Davis either, but I loved him coming out and I guess he didn't go that high. He is the first college football player I remember liking, picked by the Jets and he ran off to the other league. Cretino!

As far as free agents, they did invest in Thomas Jones and I wouldn't call that a failure even though I wasn't impressed. I know it was a trade, but if they didn't redo his deal I doubt he was coming over or reporting if he did. That was an example of something Tannenbaum has done in the past. When they tried to go cheap at guard and it failed they broke the bank for Faneca. After trying the low budget Barlow Blaylock deals they went to Thomas Jones.

I'm not sure where the Powell love comes from. He was fine, but not particularly impressive in preseason. I'm not excited at all.

How much does McKnight weigh? During the preseason he didn't seem to blow any blocking assignments, but he was steamrolled a couple of times.

I don't expect Greene to get a fat extension, but I'm sure they will tender him and maybe franchise him later to hold on while they wait to see if they can get him cheap or he goes boom first.

I'm not really looking for a two way TE. I'm actually pretty happy with the way they've been handling it. I just think that Mulligan is either not ready or not up to the task. I haven't had a problem with the Sean Ryans and Ben Hartsocks of the world. I think that the team feels like I do, that TE and safety can be easily and cheaply be filled with scrubs, UDFAs, low picks and low-level FAs. Mulligan's failure may result in them going after a real solution-see my Thomas Jones/Faneca comments above. OTOH, you can also draft guys at those positions that you KNOW will be good fairly easily. Of course Jets fans typically hate those guys - see Kyle Brady and Anthony Becht. Personally, I would love a special athlete at safety, but I don't expect them to take one unless there are no special players around at more difficult to fill positions (or they can't trade up for one! ;)

I think that the team feels like I do, that TE and safety can be easily and cheaply be filled with scrubs, UDFAs, low picks and low-level FAs. Mulligan's failure may result in them going after a real solution-see my Thomas Jones/Faneca comments above. OTOH, you can also draft guys at those positions that you KNOW will be good fairly easily. Of course Jets fans typically hate those guys - see Kyle Brady and Anthony Becht. Personally, I would love a special athlete at safety, but I don't expect them to take one unless there are no special players around at more difficult to fill positions (or they can't trade up for one! ;)

But they drafted Keller in the first, so they must put some premium on the position. They certainly don't seem to think much of the #2 TE position, but with Keller getting closer to contract time, it wouldn't surprise me if they drafted a replacement.

I agree with the way they seem to handle the safety spot, but you can't count the position out with Rex as HC. Not the way you can almost certainly count out the idea of them taking a WR or RB high. Unlike those positions, I think if a safety presents value at their pick that they won't hesitate to take him.

The Jets will draft an OLB to replace Thomas. If there isn't a good one available when they draft then I bet they draft BAP at S, WR or OL, most likely WR.

I'm sure they haven't given up on Ducasse, knowing he'd be a project when they drafted him.

Barring an injury to Greene I don't see them drafting another RB. They might even view McKnight as his eventual replacement.

I agree with this the most...as good as Maybin looks in bursts would love a high quality power rush OLB to add to Rex's defense...youth at S, OL or WR would also rate higher than a RB.

The prosecution rests!

No thanks to yourselves, the best point was made by the defense:

Congratulations DWC on posting this list which sums up why you shouldn't draft running backs high. First time I've seen you really crush an argument on this site, even if it was your own.

Archived