Cris Carter Rips Jets QB Mark Sanchez (Trade for Peyton Manning)

Knix Tix

Cris Carter Rips Jets QB Mark Sanchez

November 15, 2010

My, how time flies. Less than 2 days after their gut-wrenching defeat at the hands of the New England Patriots known New York Jets fan Mike Greenberg, along with Mike Golic from ESPN’s Mike and Mike in the Morning, sat down with former NFL wide receiver Cris Carter, now an analyst for ESPN.

Among topics of discussion on the show were Jets QB Mark Sanchez, the Jets organization, and what’s ahead for Rex Ryan’s bunch. And, Carter didn’t mince words, especially in regards to Jets QB Mark Sanchez.

Now before we get into it, I didn’t agree with just about everything that Carter said, especially since most of his colleagues and analysts at ESPN picked the Jets to beat the Patriots including Carter himself.

When asked if Mark Sanchez is the quarterback for the Jets two years from now, Carter responded “For Greenie’s (Greenberg) sake, I hope not.” Carter’s reasoning, though easy to argue, is the NFL is now become a pass first, run second, league with the likes of Aaron Rodgers and (cringe) Tom Brady leading offenses.

Oh, it gets better.

With the Colts seemingly winning the “Suck for Luck” competition with the Miami Dolphins, Carter had another piece of advice for Rex Ryan and the leaders of the Jets organization. A simple request, nothing major. Carter suggested a trade for Peyton Manning. Yes, Peyton Manning. Carter suggested that Manning could become disgruntled if the Colts draft Stanford QB Andrew Luck first overall in next year’s draft (assuming they have the number 1 pick).

Though an interesting thought, I’m not even going to go down that road. That has about a 1% chance of happening. So, why waste time talking about that? Besides, we don’t want a Washington Redskins situation on our hands here, either. Good defense and a 36-year-old coming off of major neck surgery? No thanks.

Agree or disagree with Carter, the Jets will probably make a decision in one of the next couple years on their future at the quarterback position. Sanchez is due to make a base salary of $8.5M in 2012. The Jets would save about $9M in cap space and would have about $5M in dead money in the event they cut him. It’s year three and some restructuring may be in order. Again, though, I still feel it’s a wait and see approach with Sanchez.

Take Aaron Rodgers, a lot of people forget that Aaron Rodgers didn’t start a game until year 4 and didn’t win a Super Bowl until year 6. But, Sanchez is unfairly criticized because he became a starter year 1. Why not give Sanchez that time?

Sanchez’s rating has improved in each of the first 3 years, though not exactly a gauging stat anymore, thanks to Tim Tebow. He’s on pace for career highs in passing yards and touchdowns. Actually, he should shatter both. Not a leap forward huh?

Rodgers first 3 years in the NFL? 35 of 59, 329 yards 9.4 avg, 1 TD, 1 INT, 3 fumbles, 3 lost. In those three years he played in 7 games and racked up about an average of 70 QB rating. Rodgers and Sanchez stats ratio are virtually the same. Yes, I know, Rodgers didn’t start in any games the first three years. Remind you of anyone? Yes, as they say on Twitter, I’m just saying.

One could argue the only Rex and Sanchez did is take the previously “clawing and scratching just to make the playoffs” Jets to back-to-back AFC Championship games and built a top-flight defense overnight. But, hey, what have you done for me lately? Oh, not much, lost a game though.

Picking up my sarcasm? Good, because I’m laying it on pretty thick (Thanks, Tommy Boy).

Now, before any Packers fan reads this and gets all choked up and starts doing the “discount double-check” on me, I’m not comparing Rodgers and Sanchez. They are light years apart at this point in their careers but it’s also an unfair comparison to expect that out of Sanchez, so get back to me in a couple years. The odds are stacked against Sanchez to have an Aaron Rodgers like career in the next 3 years but if you want to compare. That’s how much time you give him.

Who knows where Sanchez is 3 years from now? He could be hoisting the Lombardi trophy. The question is, will it be for the New York Jets?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are 3 elite QB's, a couple really good ones, and everyone else.

Sanchez is right around the middle of the pack with upside. He just turned 24 and has yet to sniff the prime of his career. How about we show a modicum of patience eh?

Irony is if MckNight does not fumble the ball away or Greene catches a ball that hit his head we might not be having this conversation.

Not saying Sanchez is elite or anything like that now. Still makes some basic mental mistakes. But to blame this loss on him is unfair.

Yes, this is true. And like I said before, I have always been a believer in The Sanchize.

But he is still doing 2 dumb things that's making me wonder about this kid.

(1) He's got to stop throwing into coverage for christ sake! He's forcing the ball in to who he "wants to throw it to" instead of hitting the open man. And...

(2) Most of his throws are way over the target's reach...even a big target like Plax.

Seriously...isn't this QB'ing 101?

PS: I'm shaking in my boots lately whenever I see him throw long, or whenever we have a nice drive and we're close to the red zone. That just should not be.

Sanchez sucks and I would love to take a chance on horse-face even after neck surgery to replace him. And I also think someone typed this for Carter after doing his best to copy what Carter wrote on construction paper with a dull crayon.

Neck surgery be damned, if the Jets had a shot at Manning and didnt...I'd go mental. Dont know how I'd respond to such stupidity. Trade Sanchez to Seattle for a first round pick, Pete would do it and go all in for Manning assuming the Colts do Suck for Luck.

If the Jets got Manning, its instant Super Bowl. Year two at the latest as the team acclimated to his style of offense. 2014 when the big game is in NYC.

Sanchez's play is killing the Jets chances of ever getting there. As Sperm pointed out in another thread, look how many points the Jets have given up due to his turnovers.

Sanchez is right around the middle of the pack with upside. He just turned 24 and has yet to sniff the prime of his career. How about we show a modicum of patience eh?

Sanchez is 25

If Peyton's neck checks out then I'd do that deal in a heartbeat. The Jets could even throw in Sanchez and the Colts could use him as a placeholder for Luck. No need to rush him.

Still not sure if your recent crusade against Sanchez is real or tongue in cheek. I never made you out for the impulsive reactionary type.

Were you spewing this nonsense last January or did you take the loss to the Ravens especially hard?

Still not sure if your recent crusade against Sanchez is real or tongue in cheek. I never made you out for the impulsive reactionary type.

Were you spewing this nonsense last January or did you take the loss to the Ravens especially hard?

No, I'm serious. He has let his people down.

I'm not condemning him for the future (that is, I'm not saying "He is a bust and always suck). I'm saying that now, in the 2011 season, he sucks and is a major reason for the Jets' 4 losses.

I gave him a pass for the Ravens game because of their D, but last Sunday was an abomination. He will never face a worst D this year than what the Pats put on the field, and he had a QBR of 64. That's pathetic.

I somewhat agree with this. The only difference is Sanchez has the upside to be middle of the pack. Not is middle of the pack with upside for more. He doesn't have that type of upside.

Our best hope is he turns into a middle of the pack type QB.

BTW, that's not really assuring because "everyone else" aren't winning the SB

That's the life of the NFL...its an endless search for an elite QB. The Jets are probably the best team, besides Baltimore, that doesn't have an elite QB. It could be a lot worse.

If the Jets got Manning, its instant Super Bowl. Year two at the latest as the team acclimated to his style of offense. 2014 when the big game is in NYC.

Sanchez's play is killing the Jets chances of ever getting there. As Sperm pointed out in another thread, look how many points the Jets have given up due to his turnovers.

Yeah. Well, in 4 more years, he might become good... So, you don't know what you're talking about.

They can't give up on Sanchez until he fails with another offensive coordinator. It's clear that Schotty holds him back and maybe thats the problem. Only time will tell, but trading for Manning without knowing what hes got left in the tank after missing this year and coming off of major neck surgery is asinine.

If Peyton's neck checks out then I'd do that deal in a heartbeat. The Jets could even throw in Sanchez and the Colts could use him as a placeholder for Luck. No need to rush him.

Just thinking out loud here. So what if Sanchez goes to another team and we find out he being held back by Schotty, has a HOF career.

And on the other hand we sign Manning all injured and not his old self and with the Schotty handicap we get 2 mediocre years.

That will just add to the SOJ folklore for sure!

No, I'm serious. He has let his people down.

Californians?

The jury is still out.. It takes moxie to be able to pull off 4 road playoff wins in 2 years.

I'll go ahead and reserve judgement until the end of the year at the earliest. I'd also love to see what he'd do with another OC.

But I understand whining about the QB is theraputic to some so I won't begrudge you for that.

I somewhat agree with this. The only difference is Sanchez has the upside to be middle of the pack. Not is middle of the pack with upside for more. He doesn't have that type of upside.

Our best hope is he turns into a middle of the pack type QB.

Disagree. I don't think a bottom feeding QB would have been capable of winning those playoff games the last couple years.

Archived