Peyton Not Happy In Colts Land Right Now

SoFlaJets

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I've read and also from a friend of mine who was a good friend with the Johnson girl that dies. He got into a bad car accident and the Johnson's took it upon themselves to help this kid out and from what I've read over the past few years ABOUT the Jets' training and rehabilitation facilities coming from players themselves

Cool. I was just curious because I've heard several teams and players make the same claim about their own teams' facilities. Sometimes I just wonder if it's more company-line rhetoric than anything else.

So Peyton Manning isn't happy because of the way things are going in Indy so he is going to step into the poop sandwich that is the New York Jets? Really?

This is all PR imo, a divorce is coming and neither side wants the kids (fans) to think it's their fault

Tell me if this helps so you can explain it to the rest of us Jason...

Colts, Manning can delay $28 million option bonus payment

Posted by Mike Florio on January 24, 2012, 1:10 PM EST

money.jpg?w=250 Getty Images

During today’s PFT Live, Bob Kravitz of the Indianapolis Star (click the box in the right rail to watch it) raised an interesting point regarding the $28 million option bonus due and payable to Colts quarterback Peyton Manning on March 8.

Kravitz has heard that Peyton and the Colts can’t delay the due date, which would give the Colts far less flexibility when deciding whether to pay the money to a player who may not be, and who may never be, 100 percent. It also would give Manning the ultimate cover for declining to postpone his next pay day. If he chooses not to comply, it looks like he’s being greedy and unreasonable, and/or trying to force his way out of town. If he can’t do it, then he can’t do it.

I promised to get to the bottom of the situation once Kravitz raised it. The answer is simple. The Colts and Manning can renegotiate the contract to change the period to exercise the option payment.

So if anyone reports it can’t happen, there’s a good chance that this concept is being pushed by the Manning camp in order to help Peyton win a P.R. battle with the franchise that officially was launched by his lengthy and compelling interview with Kravitz.

I always take Florio with a grain of salt since he usually gets fed information the same way he claims people were being fed information about Manning not being able to renegotiate. I have had two people tell me it cant be done. Charlie Casserly said it could be done. The CBA is clear about renegotiating deals after the season and I do know that any movement of a date technically renegotiates his 2011 season cap number which should not be allowed under the CBA. Andrew Brandt is going to have something on it in a day or two. Whatever he says on the situation is most likely the correct answer.

Let me see if I got this, if a team fails to pay a player his bonus on the day it's due and does not release said player this gives the said player a small window to void the rest of his contract and become a FA? But if said player does not choose to void the contract, this so called non exercise fee (IE fee paid to player for failing to exercise the bonus due) is promptly due? A couple of things about this if I have it correct, 1. Would the exercise fee be equal to the bonus due. 2. Does the player have to fight the team to get this exercise fee, IE file a grievance with the NFLPA? I can't see this situation play out (if I have it correct) it would be a huge black eye in the relationship with Manning, and Irsay, it would almost force Irsay to trade him regardless, and eat the 28 million, this could also get him more value for Peyton, knowing the team who trades for him won't have to pony up that cash. Also I don't know what kind of trade clause Peyton might have, but I could see Irsay trying to send him to a place he knows Peyton would absolutly hate to go. This would be ugly real ugly.

The fee is equal to the bonus due. There are some other mechanisms that used to be in play with rookie contracts that were similar but would actually be higher than the bonus payment, but that payment also voided future guaranteed salaries. To use Revis as an example if the Jets did not pick up his option (which I think was for 2014) Revis could void the backend of his deal, which are all funny years anyway but the Jets would be required to pay him his $18 million regardless provided he remained on the team. A recent team that did not pick up an option was the Rams with Chris Long. Instead they paid him the non-exercise fee. By doing that the final year of his contract voided. Not really sure why they chose to do that, (it may have had to do with cap considerations or furture guarantees), but that was a team that went that route. The non-exercise fee is included in the contract. Almost every player who agrees to an option bonus has that clause put in. So there is no fight about it.

There is a big difference between Peyton today and Peyton back then. I have no interest in Favre part 2. The only difference is Maning is already injured.

Now Jetman you know damn well Peyton will be going to get umpteen physical before anyone does anything. Until Favre hurt his arm it was an amazing year and I felt like we had a LEGITIMATE chance to actually go all the way. Haven't felt it since, want to feel it again.

The fee is equal to the bonus due. There are some other mechanisms that used to be in play with rookie contracts that were similar but would actually be higher than the bonus payment, but that payment also voided future guaranteed salaries. To use Revis as an example if the Jets did not pick up his option (which I think was for 2014) Revis could void the backend of his deal, which are all funny years anyway but the Jets would be required to pay him his $18 million regardless provided he remained on the team. A recent team that did not pick up an option was the Rams with Chris Long. Instead they paid him the non-exercise fee. By doing that the final year of his contract voided. Not really sure why they chose to do that, (it may have had to do with cap considerations or furture guarantees), but that was a team that went that route. The non-exercise fee is included in the contract. Almost every player who agrees to an option bonus has that clause put in. So there is no fight about it.

Got it. Thanks Jason.

no, thank you

respectfully disagreeing with an esteemed moderator on this one

Please do not call me esteemed. Im fat. OK?

Honestly man, I cant help but think that if healthy he is going to be better than Sanchez or any one else we can get for next year. Just talking about next year, I think we could have contended this year with more first downs. Our defense was asked to do too much.

Like how he didn't make Brandon Marshall the highest paid receiver in the NFL. Or how he didn't make Karlos Dansby one of the highest paid linebackers?

Check your facts jack, BMarsh was never the highest paid WR. And who cares if someone is "one of" the highest paid LB'er...as if that means something.

And FTR, I have no clue if your owner would spend for Peyton...just sayin

Cool. I was just curious because I've heard several teams and players make the same claim about their own teams' facilities. Sometimes I just wonder if it's more company-line rhetoric than anything else.

The Seahawks say the same thing and their facility is only 3 or 4 years old. I have been in their facility many times, and its very impressive.

My guess that all teams with newer facilities are very similar and are all probably equal to each other.

Check your facts jack, BMarsh was never the highest paid WR. And who cares if someone is "one of" the highest paid LB'er...as if that means something.

Sigh.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5085644

The deal includes close to $29 million in the first three years of the contract and makes Marshall the highest-paid receiver in NFL history. Arizona's Larry Fitzgerald previously had the richest deal of any receiver, averaging $10 million per season.

I don't know what's more funny about this. The fact that you're completely wrong, or the fact acted like a complete a$$hole yourself.

The point about paying Dansby (close to highest paid line backer) money is that he spends money. It's completely relevant to the discussion. But you're too busy calling ignorant eronoeus bull sh*t on people to figure that out.

...you're too busy calling ignorant eronoeus bull sh*t on people to figure that out.

And there's this.

http://profootballta...in-nfl-history/

We realize that expressing contemporaneous skepticism regarding information spoon fed by an agent isn’t the best way to ensure that the agent will continue to spoon-feed information, but it’s definitely the best way to serve the folks who are reading this stuff and relying on it to be accurate.

Now Jetman you know damn well Peyton will be going to get umpteen physical before anyone does anything. Until Favre hurt his arm it was an amazing year and I felt like we had a LEGITIMATE chance to actually go all the way. Haven't felt it since, want to feel it again.

With the right surrounding cast, we have a chance with Sanchez. He needs a solid line, a deep threat WR, a solid slot WR and a new RB. That is where the focus should be. Looking back at the 2011 season, Sanchez was getting killed taking nasty hits as he made every throw. We also need a pass rush.

By signing Peyton there won't be enough money left for the other pieces to the puzzle which are more critical to the teams success.

Sigh.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5085644

I don't know what's more funny about this. The fact that you're completely wrong, or the fact acted like a complete a$$hole yourself.

The point about paying Dansby (close to highest paid line backer) money is that he spends money. It's completely relevant to the discussion. But you're too busy calling ignorant eronoeus bull sh*t on people to figure that out.

In the bold - I'm not sure if you saying that I'm making an a$$ out of myself (something you've actually made into a magnificent art form, bravo) or I'm acting like an a$$hole (which duh, I h8u, u suck, troll) but either way, thank you for posting here. You could take this act somewhere else and it would be very unfortunate.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/15/brandon-marshall-is-not-the-highest-paid-receiver-in-nfl-history/

In the bold - I'm not sure if you saying that I'm making an a$$ out of myself (something you've actually made into a magnificent art form, bravo) or I'm acting like an a$$hole (which duh, I h8u, u suck, troll) but either way, thank you for posting here. You could take this act somewhere else and it would be very unfortunate.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/15/brandon-marshall-is-not-the-highest-paid-receiver-in-nfl-history/

Ross will spend money, obviously. Not too sure where the cheap label came from, myself.

Ross will spend money, obviously. Not too sure where the cheap label came from, myself.

With the right surrounding cast, we have a chance with Sanchez. He needs a solid line, a deep threat WR, a solid slot WR and a new RB. That is where the focus should be. Looking back at the 2011 season, Sanchez was getting killed taking nasty hits as he made every throw. We also need a pass rush.

By signing Peyton there won't be enough money left for the other pieces to the puzzle which are more critical to the teams success.

nonsense

manning has won 9 superbowls, with him, it's a guaranteed SB

That was really only for a few months during the summer. Johnson signed his deal before the season started in July or August I think.

Depends on how they value the deals. If you base it on just the total years I think Marshall stood at the top until Fitzgeralds most recent extension. Johnson had so many years left on his deal that his APY is barely more than Holmes' deal. If you value it on the value of the extension years then Johnson was the guy to jump Marshall. I think his extension was 2 years at a possible 17 million per year. I think the basics are that the different sides in the negotiation simply take the position of what makes them feel better. Im sure Miami looks at it as a 5 year $50 million deal, while Marhsalls side looks at it as a 4 years for $45 million. I think the full value is a much fairer way to look at it rather than just extension years.

This This This !!!

Why would you try to make sense as a Jets fan . Didnt you know that Wayne Hunter Becomes an All Pro if Peyton comes here ??

Didnt you know Shonn Greene runs for 1700 yards and catched 50 pass for 500 more Like Eddgerin James

Didnt you know Santonio Holmes Catches 120 Passes for 1700 yards and 15 TD s ? Like Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne

Eric Smith turns black and learns how to stop falling down and Jim Leonhard Recovers from a Patella tear in less than a year at 30 years old.

Joe McKnight learns to break hand tackles.

D-Brick Forgets he usually comes close to giving up double digit sacks every year and learns to run block

And our now slow LB corp all of a sudden Gains speed.

We dont need the cash we need Peyton because on this forum the word team means nothing.

Lots of Elite QB's make the playoffs but NONE of them ever win with out Defense. Just ask Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning ..... All great QB's who only won SB's when their defenses stepped up. Eli will probably win another one because his defense is playing out of its mind right now.

where 'I' got it from was a report from just a few weeks ago-maybe the beginning of December that Ross told Ireland that he was only to spend like 8 million dollars this past season. It was being discussed on south Florida sports talk radio-I can't find the source right now

Prediction:

The Jets go hard after Peyton with copious "leaks" stating that they're the front runners for him.

Peyton signs with 49ers

Jets then crawl back to Sanchez and claim he was their #1 guy the whole time.

that wouldn't bother me as much as the Asomugha chase-at least we NEED a friggin QB

Archived