Peyton Not Happy In Colts Land Right Now

SoFlaJets

Peyton calls current Colts atmosphere “not . . . a very good place for healing”

Posted by Mike Florio on January 24, 2012, 9:35 AM EST

peyton-e1327415713330.jpg?w=250 Getty Images

In a lengthy interview containing plenty of content, context, and clues about the future of the Colts current franchise quarterback, Peyton Manning makes it abundantly clear to Bob Kravitz of the Indianapolis Star that now isn’t the best time to be an employee of the team.

I’m not in a very good place for healing, let’s say that,’’ Manning said, regarding the team’s facility. “It’s not a real good environment down there right now, to say the least. Everybody’s walking around on eggshells. I don’t recognize our building right now. There’s such complete and total change.’’

That explanation implies that Manning is still healing. Which means he isn’t healthy. And it also means he’s necessarily frustrated by the fact that he has to try to get healthy in the midst of revolutionary change.

“I mean, it’s 20 degrees, it’s snowing, the building is absolutely empty except when you see coaches cleaning out their offices,’’ Manning told Kravitz. “I guess it’s the reality of the football world, just not something I’ve had to deal with very often. But I’m in there every day, so I have to sit there and see it. Everybody’s being evaluated and I’m no different. It’s not the best environment.”

Peyton adroitly has positioned the decision on his future as a decision that not he but owner Jim Irsay will make.

“One thing [new G.M. Ryan Grigson] kind-of, sort-of told me, without really wanting to tell me, was that Irsay will be the guy I’m going to sit down and talk with,’’ Manning said. “That’s going to happen at some point, but we haven’t had that conversation yet because we really don’t need to have that conversation yet.’’

Did you catch that one? It’s subtle, but significant. Not “Jim” or “Jimmy” or “Mr. Irsay.” Just “Irsay.” Peyton refers to “Irsay” as “Jim” on at least two other occasions in the interview, but to call the owner only “Irsay” in that specific moment is telling.

Folks, Peyton isn’t happy.

“One of the things about football is, it’s a relationship business,’’ Manning said. “Sometimes guys get fired, it goes across the ticker, ‘Jim Caldwell got fired’ and that’s that. But when it’s every day in a relationship business . . . with Bill [Polian], with Marvin [Harrison], Edge [James], guys who retire, get cut, traded or fired, it’s just really hard. I don’t think I have an emotion for it.”

Did you catch that one? Peyton puts Bill Polian in the same category as Marvin Harrison and Edgerrin James.

Folks, Peyton isn’t happy.

“I just want to pay tribute to all those guys,” Manning said. “It’s unfortunate because so many of them have been such a big part of so many big wins here, and this is so . . . sudden. Their keys didn’t work the next day. There’s no other way to do it? I don’t know. That’s hard to see, all these people leaving.”

Folks, Peyton really isn’t happy.

But he’s setting it up so that if (when) he ends up playing for another team, it’ll happen because the Colts left him with no options.

“I don’t want to get into some kind of fan campaign with the owner, but I think it’s well documented that I want to play in the same place my whole career,’’ Manning said, which could be just enough to launch a fan campaign with the owner. “It’s been a privilege to play here. I love the fans, the city, the transformation of the fans, how our place has become the toughest stadium to play in, the fact our fans wear more jerseys to games than anybody else. It’s been fun to be a part of that.

“But I understand how it works. I understand tough decisions have to be made. There’s personal and there’s business and that’s where we’ve got to separate the two. I’ve seen other guys leave places and it was personal. I’ve invested too much into this city for that to happen. We live here, we’ve given lots of time and money to the community and our church, and that’s never going to change. Nothing changes that.”

Manning says nothing about whether he’ll agree to delay the $28 million option bonus that comes due on March 8 in order to give the team more time to determine whether he’s healthy before paying him that money. But given his current mindset, it’d be surprising to see him do anything he doesn’t have to do in order to make things any easier for an organization that has made things harder than necessary on Manning’s former coworkers.

There’s no other way to do it?

Yep, Peyton won’t be doing “Irsay” any favors.

At the heart of the matter is, I firmly believe, the team’s apparent intention to use the first overall pick in the draft on Peyton’s successor instead of dangling that pick for the kind of modern-day Herschel Walker package that could propel the Colts to more Super Bowl wins. I’d previously believed that Peyton already had made that known to “Irsay.” I now believe that Peyton has come to that conclusion without articulating it to the team. Yet.

Manning may never have to. If, due to the current environment in the building, he’s not healed by March 8 and not willing to throw “Irsay” a bone by backing up the due date, the decision that Manning may secretly want will be made by someone else.

The only thing we know for sure is that, contrary to the “report” last week from Rob Lowe, Peyton isn’t retiring. Yet.

“I never thought ‘Sodapop Curtis’ would announce my retirement,” Manning said.

The full interview merits a complete read. And none of this should be regarded as criticism of Peyton Manning. I’m simply trying to analyze and interpret the facts, the statements, and the possible motivations. He’s a smart guy, and he’s hardly a passive participant in his life.

Peyton surely knows what he wants to do, and his comments to Kravitz surely are aimed at making it happen that way, with minimal damage to the Peyton Manning brand, in Indy or elsewhere

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good then he'll be ok when he comes to the cesspool locker room of the NY Jets.

one thing about the Jets though is they DO have the absolute best rehab facilities in the league-and as far as the bullcrap going on with the Jets LR Sal, having a player of his caliber at QB will make a LOT of disgruntled players gruntle again...:>)

there was an article on NFL.com citing "sources" who say Manning is a big part of Dolphins offseason plans. I have to think that changes to Flynn now

Fins owner will NOT spend Manning-type money bro...not in a million years...

Oh btw, everybody who gets a boner at the thought of Peyton to the Jets, Manning is no guarantee of a Super Bowl

not boner inducing but it's just the thought of Mark Sanchez having the exact opposite effect on us that is making us at least hope for it to happen-at least TRY to make it happen Woody-please

Ive still been trying to figure out more on the Manning deal. I almost wonder if he can force the Colts into keeping him? Im almost 100% certain they cant move the option date (at least without a fight) but usually these options are backed by a non-exercise fee, meaning if the team does not pick up the option and release the player they get paid anyway and will stay on the team. Usually these options are about buying back voidable years. For example Peytons deal runs from 2011-2015. The 2012 Option likely means Manning holds a void option for 2012. If the team picks up the option Manning can no longer void his contract and become a free agent. If the team fails to pick it up the non-exercise fee kicks in, usually a few days after the start of the new league year, and if Manning chooses to honor his deal and receive the fee the player is agreeing to not void his 2012 season, thus the is essentially picking up the 2012-2015 option anyway. That could mean there is a 3 or 4 day trade window for Manning, however you would need to get him to agree to not use his void option upon execution of the trade.

Florio is simply trying to pump up the number of hits on his site during the desert that is the 2 weeks until the Super Bowl. The Colts are not going to draft Luck and pay Manning's $28 million roster bonus. So eitehr he is retiring or signing elsewhere.

one thing about the Jets though is they DO have the absolute best rehab facilities in the league-and as far as the bullcrap going on with the Jets LR Sal, having a player of his caliber at QB will make a LOT of disgruntled players gruntle again...:>)

Peyton = winning = everyones happy

Anyone who really thinks Manning is going to take the Jets to the next level is a retard!! Plain and simple.

I think Sanchez will improve and can be a good QB next year but what are you talking about?? It's friggin Peyton Manning.

Ive still been trying to figure out more on the Manning deal. I almost wonder if he can force the Colts into keeping him? Im almost 100% certain they cant move the option date (at least without a fight) but usually these options are backed by a non-exercise fee, meaning if the team does not pick up the option and release the player they get paid anyway and will stay on the team. Usually these options are about buying back voidable years. For example Peytons deal runs from 2011-2015. The 2012 Option likely means Manning holds a void option for 2012. If the team picks up the option Manning can no longer void his contract and become a free agent. If the team fails to pick it up the non-exercise fee kicks in, usually a few days after the start of the new league year, and if Manning chooses to honor his deal and receive the fee the player is agreeing to not void his 2012 season, thus the is essentially picking up the 2012-2015 option anyway. That could mean there is a 3 or 4 day trade window for Manning, however you would need to get him to agree to not use his void option upon execution of the trade.

Tell me if this helps so you can explain it to the rest of us Jason...

Colts, Manning can delay $28 million option bonus payment

Posted by Mike Florio on January 24, 2012, 1:10 PM EST

money.jpg?w=250 Getty Images

During today’s PFT Live, Bob Kravitz of the Indianapolis Star (click the box in the right rail to watch it) raised an interesting point regarding the $28 million option bonus due and payable to Colts quarterback Peyton Manning on March 8.

Kravitz has heard that Peyton and the Colts can’t delay the due date, which would give the Colts far less flexibility when deciding whether to pay the money to a player who may not be, and who may never be, 100 percent. It also would give Manning the ultimate cover for declining to postpone his next pay day. If he chooses not to comply, it looks like he’s being greedy and unreasonable, and/or trying to force his way out of town. If he can’t do it, then he can’t do it.

I promised to get to the bottom of the situation once Kravitz raised it. The answer is simple. The Colts and Manning can renegotiate the contract to change the period to exercise the option payment.

So if anyone reports it can’t happen, there’s a good chance that this concept is being pushed by the Manning camp in order to help Peyton win a P.R. battle with the franchise that officially was launched by his lengthy and compelling interview with Kravitz.

Let me see if I got this, if a team fails to pay a player his bonus on the day it's due and does not release said player this gives the said player a small window to void the rest of his contract and become a FA? But if said player does not choose to void the contract, this so called non exercise fee (IE fee paid to player for failing to exercise the bonus due) is promptly due? A couple of things about this if I have it correct, 1. Would the exercise fee be equal to the bonus due. 2. Does the player have to fight the team to get this exercise fee, IE file a grievance with the NFLPA? I can't see this situation play out (if I have it correct) it would be a huge black eye in the relationship with Manning, and Irsay, it would almost force Irsay to trade him regardless, and eat the 28 million, this could also get him more value for Peyton, knowing the team who trades for him won't have to pony up that cash. Also I don't know what kind of trade clause Peyton might have, but I could see Irsay trying to send him to a place he knows Peyton would absolutly hate to go. This would be ugly real ugly.

Tell me if this helps so you can explain it to the rest of us Jason...

Colts, Manning can delay $28 million option bonus payment

Posted by Mike Florio on January 24, 2012, 1:10 PM EST

money.jpg?w=250 Getty Images

During today’s PFT Live, Bob Kravitz of the Indianapolis Star (click the box in the right rail to watch it) raised an interesting point regarding the $28 million option bonus due and payable to Colts quarterback Peyton Manning on March 8.

Kravitz has heard that Peyton and the Colts can’t delay the due date, which would give the Colts far less flexibility when deciding whether to pay the money to a player who may not be, and who may never be, 100 percent. It also would give Manning the ultimate cover for declining to postpone his next pay day. If he chooses not to comply, it looks like he’s being greedy and unreasonable, and/or trying to force his way out of town. If he can’t do it, then he can’t do it.

I promised to get to the bottom of the situation once Kravitz raised it. The answer is simple. The Colts and Manning can renegotiate the contract to change the period to exercise the option payment.

So if anyone reports it can’t happen, there’s a good chance that this concept is being pushed by the Manning camp in order to help Peyton win a P.R. battle with the franchise that officially was launched by his lengthy and compelling interview with Kravitz.

I remember reading Jason's take on this he said it could be done, but only with the NFLPA's permission, which was in all likelihood not going to happen.

Sorry if I'm wrong on this.

Peyton's pull too much for Jets to resist

The one thing Woody Johnson can do to answer Eli's success? Bring in his older brother

the month started with the embarrassing meltdown in Miami on New Year's Day, and it hasn't gotten any better for the New York Jets. They've gone from disarray to dissed.

Their blood rival is headed to the Super Bowl, so is their next-door neighbor, and nothing burns the Jets more than seeing the New England Patriots and New York Giants get to the great football place they haven't visited in more than four decades.

It was only five weeks ago that Rex Ryan was boasting how the Jets were a better team than the Giants, how they owned the town. Maybe they owned it for a minute in each of the previous two Januaries, but now they just have a serious case of the Big Blues.

And we all know how owner Woody Johnson copes with that. He'll try to make a splashy move in the coming weeks to get people talking about his team again -- it's in his DNA -- and there's only one thing out there that can accomplish that.

Peyton Manning.

Even though the Jets are insisting that Mark Sanchez will be their starter in 2012, you'd have to be naïve to think they won't make a play for Manning -- if he's healthy and available.

Hey, if you can't be the big brother in New York, why not import The Big Brother?

There's a lot of buzz about the Jets' potential interest in Manning, and Johnson didn't slam the door in an interview last week. When Lawrence Tynes' game-winning field goal sailed through the uprights at 10:35 on Sunday night, it probably strengthened Johnson's resolve to do something big. Imagine if he's forced to stomach another victory parade on Broadway.

ny_u_manning_300.jpg

Brian Spurlock/US PresswireIt seems highly likely the Jets would want Peyton Manning. But does Peyton Manning want the Jets?

We've seen this before. Four years ago, the circumstances were eerily similar. The Jets were coming off a disappointing, non-playoff season, and the Giants were everybody's darling, having defeated the Patriots in perhaps the most famous Super Bowl of them all.

By the time they got to training camp, Johnson had discovered a way to strike back -- Brett Favre. He developed a man crush on Favre and, even though he kept telling the fans and media, "No, no, no," he gave the "yes, yes, yes" marching orders to his football people.

So in came the iconic quarterback, who didn't succeed on the field but managed to grow the Jets' popularity at a time when they needed to sell PSLs and fill a new stadium.

That's one of the fundamental differences between the Jets and Giants. The Jets sell the product, the Giants let the product sell itself.

A healthy Manning would improve the product, that's for sure. You think having an all-time great in the huddle would improve team chemistry? You bet it would. He would change the locker-room dynamic, the culture, the offense, everything. Manning doesn't work for organizations; he becomes the organization.

But there also would be several potential hurdles, such as finding cap room, deciding what to do with Sanchez and trying to make a marriage with new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano. The Jets might be willing to move the heaven and earth for Manning, but it's doubtful that he'd want to be their shining star.

It's hard to imagine Manning picking a cold-weather team that plays in the same town as his kid brother -- a town that finally has fallen for Eli. No, the Jets aren't a Manning kind of team, and Ryan isn't a Manning kind of coach (not buttoned-down enough for him), but it's probably not going to stop them from giving it the old college try.

That would be some way to fire back at the Giants, who tweaked the Jets on Monday with a tweet that said: "Some teams are really happy getting to Conference Championship games, but #ImReallyGoodAt winning them! 5-0 all time! #ALLIN"

The Jets are fixated with the Giants. In Ryan's book, released last spring, he devoted an entire chapter to overtaking the Giants in terms of popularity.

"When people ask me what it's like to share New York with the Giants, my response is always, I am not sharing it with them -- they're sharing it with me," Ryan writes, adding, "I know it's going to piss off every Giants fan to hear this, but here you go: We are the better team. We are the big brother."

He doesn't stop there, claiming the Jets are "going to remain the better team for the next 10 years. Whether you like it or not, those are the facts and that's what's going to happen."

Uh, not exactly. But, hey, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em at the Manning dinner table.

Follow Rich Cimini on Twitter: @RichCimini

No right now we have no idea how he is doing physically but we DO know one thing: Mark Sanchez is a pretty crappy starting QB right now and that's who it will be UNLESS we get Manning-otherwise it'll be another year of pick 6's, way too many fumbles and a QB with a barely over 50 completion percentage...because let's face it, it WILL be Mark's job and we'll all be hearing about how he brought us to 2 consecutive AFCCG until the day he's gone...and for this Jets fan, that ain't good enough

How do you know the Jets have the best rehab facilities in the league? I'm just curious.

Why do you think that a HOF QB with a bad neck, who has played home games in a dome his entire career, will want to sign with the Jets? I'm thinking his destination will be warm or under cover....or the highest bidder. LOL!

How do you know the Jets have the best rehab facilities in the league? I'm just curious.

Why do you think that a HOF QB with a bad neck, who has played home games in a dome his entire career, will want to sign with the Jets? I'm thinking his destination will be warm or under cover....or the highest bidder. LOL!

From what I've read and also from a friend of mine who was a good friend with the Johnson girl that dies. He got into a bad car accident and the Johnson's took it upon themselves to help this kid out and from what I've read over the past few years ABOUT the Jets' training and rehabilitation facilities coming from players themselves

Guys, it's pretty clear to me....all involved are trying to find a way out of this $28Million dollar issue. In my opinion, Woody-Tanny-Rex and who ever else you want to name would be ****en insane NOT to sign this guy. And finding a way to keep Sanchez

Archived