Mr.T- Sanchez did not improve enough in 2011

Kentucky Jet

Tannenbaum: Sanchez didn’t improve enough in 2011

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 25, 2012, 12:00 PM EST

The Jets won’t rule out going after Peyton Manning, in part because Mark Sanchez has a lot of improving left to do.

I spoke with Jets G.M. Mike Tannenbaum at the Combine for NBC SportsTalk Thursday and asked whether Sanchez improved enough in 2011.

“Not enough,” Tannenbaum said. “Not consistently. The great thing abut Mark is he’d be the first one to tell you that. . . . His rate of improvement has to keep going and get better, but we’re excited about his work ethic and his commitment.”

We also talked about whether the Jets will be a softer, quieter organization in 2012 without any guarantees. (Somehow we doubt it.)

I didn't read a quote about how he sucks. Did you read that somewhere else or just making it up?

Sucks is my word.

The lack of positives expressed by the GM about his #5 overall pick at the most important position on the team outside of saying that he tries hard combined with the disappointment that he does convey in the quote pretty much sets enough subtext to read between the lines.

I didn't read a quote about how he sucks. Did you read that somewhere else or just making it up?

Either the entire Jets franchise, from owner to GM to coach to teammates, is embarking on a highly coordinated campaign to motivate Mark Sanchez, or they all have serious doubts about whether or not he's going to be their starting QB for long.

Either the entire Jets franchise, from owner to GM to coach to teammates, is embarking on a highly coordinated campaign to motivate Mark Sanchez, or they all have serious doubts about whether or not he's going to be their starting QB for long.

After the way the season ended, unless the guy is fully retarded I have no clue how the latter isn't the case.

Why are McKnight and Wilson on that list?

Safe to assume McKnight was drafted to be more than a kick returner by year 3, and Wilson was drafted to be more than a NB.

Jets didn't want to still be looking for a RB in McKnight's 3rd year, and (while he hasn't come right out and said it) from a cost-perspective Tannenbaum probably figured - or hoped - Wilson would be ready to start by year 2 and the Jets therefore wouldn't need to shell out megabucks for an Aso or Cro free agent. Instead of re-signing Cromartie for all that money, we'd have been looking for a different NB from more reasonably-priced FA's or a draft pick in the mid-late rounds.

Safe to assume McKnight was drafted to be more than a kick returner by year 3, and Wilson was drafted to be more than a NB.

Jets didn't want to still be looking for a RB in McKnight's 3rd year, and (while he hasn't come right out and said it) from a cost-perspective Tannenbaum probably figured - or hoped - Wilson would be ready to start by year 2 and the Jets therefore wouldn't need to shell out megabucks for an Aso or Cro free agent. Instead of re-signing Cromartie for all that money, we'd have been looking for a different NB from more reasonably-priced FA's or a draft pick in the mid-late rounds.

yup. thats about it.

One fair point in the Jets' FO's favor as to Wilson; they did not anticipate the profusion fo 2 TE offenses across the NFL, nor that they would be facing Hernandez and Gronk twice a year for the next 5-10 years. It's plausible to think when they drafted him a 3rd nickel CB would be more important than a safety or ILB to cover a TE in coverage. Wilson in 2011 was a decent nickel, but that spot is now less important on an NFL team than on the day he was drafted.But they have to change direction on that ASAP unless they like watching TEs pad their stats each time they face the Jets as we have seen under RYan.

One fair point in the Jets' FO's favor as to Wilson; they did not anticipate the profusion fo 2 TE offenses across the NFL, nor that they would be facing Hernandez and Gronk twice a year for the next 5-10 years. It's plausible to think when they drafted him a 3rd nickel CB would be more important than a safety or ILB to cover a TE in coverage. Wilson in 2011 was a decent nickel, but that spot is now less important on an NFL team than on the day he was drafted.But they have to change direction on that ASAP unless they like watching TEs pad their stats each time they face the Jets as we have seen under RYan.

I don't believe at all that they drafted him to be a NB. They drafted him for a variety of other reasons.

1. Revis wanted $16M/year and made no indication he would budge off that.

2. Cromartie was going to be a UFA after the 2010 season.

3. Worst case scenario they used up a 1st rounder on a guy who couldn't displace either starter on the outside.

Not sure about the order as to #1 or #2 but I do believe #3 was a distant 3rd in reasons to draft him. You don't use a first round pick because of the chance you might again have to face Austin Collie in the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted McKnight here... but I didn't see him being the next AP. With that said, he barely gets any touches at running back. Let the kid get his feet wet.

Wilson is a solid nickel. I am surprised people expected him to be elite where he would take Cromartie's job.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted McKnight here... but I didn't see him being the next AP. With that said, he barely gets any touches at running back. Let the kid get his feet wet.

Wilson is a solid nickel. I am surprised people expected him to be elite where he would take Cromartie's job.

Not that it would hurt any to have him, but we don't need the next AP. We needed someone who could take LT's place on 3rd down and give Greene a blow now & then because he sure looks like he needs it. IMO they don't trust his blocking and that's a good reason why he hasn't been on the field. There may be more to it as well, like maybe he's too dumb to memorize the playbook.

The other problem with him is that while he's clearly fast, he isn't explosive fast. Sort of like his 40 yard dash time is where you'd want it to be but his 5 yard dash time isn't. Now I don't know if that's due to hesitation or if he's just someone whose 2nd-5th gears work ok but his 1st gear is sluggish. Once he gets going there's no problem. The guy was averaging 40 yards per kick return for most of the season. Westhoff Shmesthoff, that's just off the charts ridiculous.

Not that it would hurt any to have him, but we don't need the next AP. We needed someone who could take LT's place on 3rd down and give Greene a blow now & then because he sure looks like he needs it. IMO they don't trust his blocking and that's a good reason why he hasn't been on the field. There may be more to it as well, like maybe he's too dumb to memorize the playbook.

The other problem with him is that while he's clearly fast, he isn't explosive fast. Sort of like his 40 yard dash time is where you'd want it to be but his 5 yard dash time isn't. Now I don't know if that's due to hesitation or if he's just someone whose 2nd-5th gears work ok but his 1st gear is sluggish. Once he gets going there's no problem. The guy was averaging 40 yards per kick return for most of the season. Westhoff Shmesthoff, that's just off the charts ridiculous.

Oh, OK. We are absolutely on the same page then. I still feel like Joe is due to really bust out and produce a ton more. And yeah, his speed is weird. He almost looks.. slow. I guess good horsepower, just no torque.

Archived