Plax: "Door Open" For Return to Jets

flgreen

Plax: "Door open" for return to Jets

February, 28, 2012

Feb 28

2:57

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

Plaxico Burress appeared on a Philadelphia radio station Tuesday, unabashedly campaigning for a contract with the Eagles. (No surprise.) During the interview, the free-agent wide receiver suggested there could be an opportunity to return to the Jets.

"As far as I understand, they pretty much left the door open for me to make a decision to come back," Burress told Brian Baldinger and Harry Mayes on 97.5 The Fanatic ESPN Radio.

We all know that's not happening; Burress isn't coming back. The Jets don't want him, and he apparently doesn't want them, as his friend Brandon Jacobs said at Giants media day at the Super Bowl. Privately, Burress has told friends that he's no fan of Mark Sanchez.

Burress had some nice moments last season (remember the acrobatic catch against the Bills?), but he'll be 35 in August and he can't separate from defenders anymore. Sure, he's a weapon in the red zone, and there's no doubt he'll help a team in that area, but he's not a full-time receiver at this stage of his career.

Burress was thrown into a tough situation last season, and the cynics (myself included) questioned his ability to be The Old Plax after two years in jail. Burress scoffed, telling everyone he'd make a seamless transition, that he'd surprise everybody.

Now we get the revisionist history, Burress claiming the odds were stacked against him.

"Coming into the season, a lot of people didn't understand," he told the radio station. "I was out for two years. Nobody had any minicamps. I didn't have training camp because I twisted my ankle. I played a quarter against Cincinnati, two quarters against the Giants and I didn't play in the fourth pre-season game. You're talking about three quarters of football after being out two years, and here I am, starting on Sunday night football against the Dallas Cowboys -- four months from being incarcerated."

Burress said it took him six games before he felt comfortable. In the seventh game, he scored three touchdowns against the Chargers. Like I said, he had some moments, just not enough of them.

"Privately, Burress has told friends that he's no fan of Mark Sanchez."..........So neither receiver liked Sanchez this season and all this kid wants to do is be liked. Sanchez seems like the type of kid who will bend over backwards just to get on your good side. Must have been tough in that locker room this year for him with his top 2 receivers not liking him. I am sure there were some awkward conversations during the season between these 3.

Obviously Plax was part of the dissension, I wonder if Bart was too - from the defensive side of the ball. I mean they are bordering on making an example of him right now... feels like there is more to it than just declining play. Recall, this was the guy Rex chose to recruit instead of Ray Lewis. Still one of the dumbest things in recent Jets history that most of the fans don't seem to grasp.

"Privately, Burress has told friends that he's no fan of Mark Sanchez."..........So neither receiver liked Sanchez this season and all this kid wants to do is be liked. Sanchez seems like the type of kid who will bend over backwards just to get on your good side. Must have been tough in that locker room this year for him with his top 2 receivers not liking him. I am sure there were some awkward conversations during the season between these 3.

Yep.

Good job Rex.

Watching 3 year old game film and telling Tanny "go get me this guy!" What a dope.

Obviously Plax was part of the dissension, I wonder if Bart was too - from the defensive side of the ball. I mean they are bordering on making an example of him right now... feels like there is more to it than just declining play. Recall, this was the guy Rex chose to recruit instead of Ray Lewis. Still one of the dumbest things in recent Jets history that most of the fans don't seem to grasp.

What makes you think Lewis would have come to the Jets?

I was all about Lewis, until I read that article on here by that Joe Brod chick.

Money + "people love playing for Rex" stuff.

No way. Lewis was never leaving. Bisciotti would never let it happen.

Bart Scott was crucial to the success of this defense. Not only was he an absolute stud for those first 2 seasons, he also helped change the culture and was an extension of Rex on the field. His presence was crucial in implementing this system.

Who knew he'd hit a wall this quick? Maybe we should of the way he plays but this thread in general seems to be under appreciating his value those first 2 seasons.

I'd take him back, but he got enough last year. I wouldn't pay him any more than that. If he can get it elsewhere fine. If he was one of the cancers in the locker(very likely), let him walk.

While I think he'd be better with a different QB and that he still has value, the Jets need to find another staple at WR to pair with Holmes and forget about the position for the next 4 years. I think Kerley is going to be a hell of a little slot WR.

The more mocks I see, with all the pure pass rushers off the board, I think Floyd at 16 would be ideal for the Jets. Big physical productive and fast.

While I think he'd be better with a different QB and that he still has value, the Jets need to find another staple at WR to pair with Holmes and forget about the position for the next 4 years. I think Kerley is going to be a hell of a little slot WR.

The more mocks I see, with all the pure pass rushers off the board, I think Floyd at 16 would be ideal for the Jets. Big physical productive and fast.

I think taking Floyd, who is allegedly an a$$hole, and bringing him here to pair with Santonio Holmes, who is a renowned a$$hole, is a huge mistake. Especially if they intend on trying to keep emo Sanchez.

I think taking Floyd, who is allegedly an a$$hole, and bringing him here to pair with Santonio Holmes, who is a renowned a$$hole, is a huge mistake. Especially if they intend on trying to keep emo Sanchez.

Meh, from what I've heard, he turned his life around and was a model citizen this year. And I've never heard him referred to as a bad teammate, just that he made stupid decisions as a kid.

There was plenty of love between Holmes and Sanchez in 10. Winning cures all. But yeah, I'm saying this assuming Sanchez is done after this year hence the "forget it about for 4 years" comment.

How pathetic is it that we are worried about drafting a WR because our fragile QB cant handle his personality.

Uhhhh, well um, that's not why he bends over backwards.

Archived