Should the Jets go after LaRon Landry in Free Agency? Is he on Roids?

RyanBe_Tweetin

Jets interested in LaRon Landry

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 11, 2012, 7:05 PM EDT

l-landry-e1321803843981.jpg?w=245 Getty Images

LaRon Landry is likely to leave the Redskins in free agency after five years in Washington. The Jets may be his destination.

The Jets have made a few contract moves to position themselves to be aggressive when free agency starts on Tuesday, and Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com reports that they’re expected to show interest in Landry.

Safety is a position that Jets coach Rex Ryan would like to upgrade on his defense, so Landry makes sense there. He also makes sense if the Jets are planning to enter their players in any bodybuilding competitions.

Landry has always been a starter when healthy, but he hasn’t always been healthy. He has missed 15 games in the last two years with Achilles, groin and hamstring injuries.

Tough one

Guys another tough guy in the box who struggles in coverage. Not only that he is having difficulty staying on the field.

Do the Jets commit to this guy when there are better players coming out in next years draft (maybe)?

if he can stay on the field he's an upgrade. But how much. I'd take a shot at Lowery first.

Read some Skins boards and they feel he needs surgery to get fully healthy. He refuses to have it. Weak in coverage, good in the box.

If he refuses to get surgery and he'll never be 100 % healthy I dont think we should commit too much money. If he comes for a decent price I'm for it. I doubt hes any worse than Smith is in coverage.

Yeah the idea that Smith is comparable to Landry is pretty funny.

I'll go yes on signing him if they think he's healthy.

I didn't say Smith was as good as Landry, I said we already have a S who can tackle but cant cover that good and that's all Landry is. Capt Dianabol can make it through a season without getting hurt. I'd rather keep Smith and not over pay for a guy that's going to spend 1/4 of the season on the sideline. Last year Smith got 700k Laundry got 3.75 mill. He's not worth that money, he can't cover the TEs we face.

I didn't say Smith was as good as Landry, I said we already have a S who can tackle but cant cover that good and that's all Landry is. Capt Dianabol can make it through a season without getting hurt. I'd rather keep Smith and not over pay for a guy that's going to spend 1/4 of the season on the sideline. Last year Smith got 700k Laundry got 3.75 mill. He's not worth that money, he can't cover the TEs we face.

What safety out there is blanketing TEs on a regular basis? Just out of curiosity...I have candidates...Either Seahawks starting safety for instance...but I don't watch enough to know...healthy Eric Berry maybe...Hell, lets expand it to LBs.

Also, to clarify I didn't say you said Smith was as good as Landry. They don't compare because everything Smith does Landry does better...even the stuff they come up short in...Landry is better...significantly better. He's an impact talent mostly it's just him being healthy that I'm worried about.

I just think it's stupid to pay a guy 4 mill a year to do pretty much the same thing Smith is doing now, granted he'd do it better but he's still not worth 3 mill plus a year especially considering he gets hurt. I'd rather draft a S

I'm pretty big on Barron, even at 16, but if it turns out they went Landry I wouldn't be too up in arms. They're making the cap space for a reason, might as well use it on talent where there's talent available.

Would prefer they somehow fit in Mario Williams with the money, but that's probably never going to happen.

Have you seen the NFL recently. That equates to a yellow flag.

Sad face...

No no no...if you put both arms up immediately after the hit, it communicates to the refs that you didn't mean it, or didn't do it... And they don't throw the flag.

Scene: LaRon Landry playing the part of head-hunting (in the box) safety who punishes the crossing route, jarring the ball loose after contact.

Mark Barron playing the part of the ball hawking enforcer, defending the deep half with his height, leaping, and length.

For sh*ts & giggles he comes up in run support but that's unnecessary with our stout D-line and crazy-good linebackers.

= best secondary in the league... And best run-D in the afc.

Scene: LaRon Landry playing the part of head-hunting (in the box) safety who punishes the crossing route, jarring the ball loose after contact.

Mark Barron playing the part of the ball hawking enforcer, defending the deep half with his height, leaping, and length.

For sh*ts & giggles he comes up in run support but that's unnecessary with our stout D-line and crazy-good linebackers.

Yea, but be prepared to hear about how useless safeties are if those were the moves.

Barron is a FS btw....You'll hear he's not, but his numbers say otherwise. The fact that he hits like a safety I think makes people think that he's not a FS. Better player for Los Yets than Upshaw himself...

Yea, but be prepared to hear about how useless safeties are if those were the moves.

Barron is a FS btw....You'll hear he's not, but his numbers say otherwise. The fact that he hits like a safety I think makes people think that he's not a FS. Better player for Los Yets than Upshaw himself...

I don't understand. Landry is a SS, and Barron, in my projection (and by your own admission is a FS). He has the length to cover TEs which by definition is a SS, but in our scheme he would play center field by his lonesome, and rely on his ball skills to smack up the deep threats.

Landry smacks em in the middle

Barron smacks em deep

It's a beautiful roster move IMO

Ideally I would throw the farm at Williams, draft Barron, get a RT (sign Collins or Massie in the draft), and grab a couple of WR/RB/TE throughout. Simple enough if you get past the Williams part...

Kamerion Wimbley is more scheme diverse, and would get $6.5M of his 2012 salary paid for by the Raiders. He could even be spelled by Westermann who showed improvement/potential

when you have constant hammmy groin and achillies injuries that = injury prone. Our biggest need is a cover safety that can handle the middle of the field not another small LB to help stuff the run

But he's such a good stuffer!

Add an effective pass rushing OLB and we have something there. I like it.

Archived