Chaz Schilens Signs With Jets

F.Chowds

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading this Raider Forum

http://www.raiderfan...ilens-jets.html

Supposedly he was a cancer to the locker room, not very impressive on the field, and earned the nickname "Glass" from Raiders fans for his inability to stay healthy.

Yeah, but know this-When the Raiders sign former Jets, they will be coming to this site and quoting Tom Shane. Think of the possibilities

Jets add WR Schilens from Raiders

March, 16, 2012

Mar 16

4:26

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

Looking to add size and speed to their receiving corps, the New York Jets agreed to terms Friday with former Oakland Raiders wideout Chaz Schilens.

Terms weren’t immediately available.

The 6-foot-4, 225-pound Schilens, along with Drew Stanton, became the Jets’ first free-agent acquisitions. He also drew interest from the Arizona Cardinals and San Francisco 49ers.

Despite only 72 receptions in four seasons, Schilens will get a chance to compete for Plaxico Burress’ old starting job. The 6-foot-5 Burress, who tied for the team leader with eight touchdown catches last season, is a free agent and unlikely to return.

The Jets’ receiving corps, which has undergone considerable upheaval in recent years, includes Santonio Holmes, slot receiver Jeremy Kerley and backup Patrick Turner. They entered free agency looking for a complement to Holmes, preferably a big target with deep speed -- and Schilens has those attributes. He entered the league with sub-4.4 speed in the 40.

They’re also showing interest in former Jet Jerricho Cotchery, who was released last year (at his request) but told ESPNNewYork.com that he’d entertain an offer to return.

Schilens will be reunited with his former position coach in Oakland, Sanjay Lal, hired recently as the Jets’ receivers coach.

The Jets didn’t get involved with any of the high-priced free agents such as Vincent Jackson and Robert Meacham, opting to go cheap at their No. 2 receiving spot. They did so knowing there’s a chance they could use a high draft pick on a receiver.

Schilens, a seventh-round pick of the Raiders in 2008, won a starting job midway through his rookie year, but he couldn’t stay healthy. He missed 19 games in 2009 and 2010 because of injuries, including a broken foot.

“He has tools, just injury and durability concerns,” said an AFC personnel executive, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

Because of his size, Schilens should be able to help in the red zone. The Raiders didn’t use him that much inside the 20, but he capitalized on his limited opportunities. He was targeted four times, resulting in four receptions for 49 yards and two touchdowns, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

With our cap room Schilens is a perfect signing. Highly doubt he cost much. He has skills, just needs to stay on field. as others have posted, not that he will stop us from upgrading at WR but we don't have to jump at one that isn't good value. I see 4 WR's on roster now with Holmes, Turner, Kerley and Schilens. Still have a 5th spot for a draft pick. I would stay arway from a vet and get a young guy to grow with Sanchez.

If the Jets are truely going to run a Ground and Pound O this year, and I think they are, they might very likely only carry 4 WR's on roster, with two on the PS. More then likely late round picks

If the Jets are truely going to run a Ground and Pound O this year, and I think they are, they might very likely only carry 4 WR's on roster, with two on the PS. More then likely late round picks

Thats an even better reason to not put a lot of money in WR's. Schilens and even Eron Riley being on the field at least represent someone who can get deep and hopefully keep a safety or two back. Don't get me wrong Edwards is the perfect WR for this system, being able to block and get deep, but with his knee I wouldn't trust it anymore. Turner can block just as good and maybe get deep. I would rather have that at 1/4 the cost and spend the money elsewhere.

Thats an even better reason to not put a lot of money in WR's. Schilens and even Eron Riley being on the field at least represent someone who can get deep and hopefully keep a safety or two back. Don't get me wrong Edwards is the perfect WR for this system, being able to block and get deep, but with his knee I wouldn't trust it anymore. Turner can block just as good and maybe get deep. I would rather have that at 1/4 the cost and spend the money elsewhere.

I wasn't arguing with you I agree.

I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed. If the jets don't take Floyd at 16, this kid is going to fight Turner for the #2 spot

I wasn't arguing with you I agree.

I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed. If the jets don't take Floyd at 16, this kid is going to fight Turner for the #2 spot

I certainly hope not. If holmes is our #1 and Turner is our #2 we got problems...

I certainly hope not. If holmes is our #1 and Turner is our #2 we got problems...

I think the Jets are hoping that Schilens can stay healthy, and be the deep threat, using turner in the red Zone.

We'll see how that works out. Actually I like the signing.

If he gets IR'ed in camp I'll deny I said that

I think the Jets are hoping that Schilens can stay healthy, and be the deep threat, using turner in the red Zone.

I hate the signing. When he gets IR'ed in camp I'll say I told you so.

I Like the signing If it is coupled with drafting a WR in the first 3 rounds leaving us with:

WR1 Rookie/holmes

WR2 Rookie/holmes

WR3 Kerley

WR4 Schilens

WR5 Turner

For some reason the JETS are thinking along the lines of a ground and pound heavily. So they think they can get away with the Chaz's and Turner's of this world on the field.

I would not be surprised if instead of drafting a WR in the first 3 rounds the JETS choose a tandem of running backs and add a blocking TE that can block somewhere in the 4th or 5th rounds!

WR1 Holmes

WR2 Braylon

WR3 Kerley

WR4 JCo

WR5 Schilens

Fixed

Thats not fixed in my opinion. I want them to draft someone in the first 3 rounds so that we hopefully can keep them here for a while. We cant keep patching the WR group together, and changing it every year, we need some stability.

Thats not fixed in my opinion. I want them to draft someone in the first 3 rounds so that we hopefully can keep them here for a while. We cant keep patching the WR group together, and changing it every year, we need some stability.

Kerley and Santonio here for awhile

Archived