Looking for a used car right now is not fun

Maxman

My son gets his license in a week and the used car search is rough. Prices are high. American cars are now reliable? I missed this but am really glad to hear this.

That said, we have a week and want to get this car search wrapped up.

Anyone selling a car?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What type you looking for?

Something that runs and costs less than $3,000.

First time driver, learning how to drive, that usually is a fun recipe for denting and scratching a car!

My theory is a first time driver should learn how to drive on somethi

First time driver, learning how to drive, that usually is a fun recipe for denting and scratching a car!

Older Accords my dude. You can land them for dirt cheap and they're great first timers. Late 90's early 00's you can find for around that price probably.

The kid will never get laid in a hooptie like that! C'mon man, give him a fighting chance. lols

My son gets his license in a week and the used car search is rough. Prices are high. American cars are now reliable? I missed this but am really glad to hear this.

That said, we have a week and want to get this car search wrapped up.

Anyone selling a car?

As a mechanic I say go with Ford, Toyota, GMC, or Buick.

Older Accords my dude. You can land them for dirt cheap and they're great first timers. Late 90's early 00's you can find for around that price probably.

Some of the mechanics we talked to are down on Honda's. But the bigger problem is that the kids LOVE them so an Accord with 160k miles is over $2,500. We have been looking but Honda's are hard to find at this price point.

The kid will never get laid in a hooptie like that! C'mon man, give him a fighting chance. lols

Yeah,

As a mechanic I say go with Ford, Toyota, GMC, or Buick.

It is weird (and cool) hearing Ford in that group. Lots of people have been raving about them. There is a bit of a cult following around the older Jeep Cherokees and they fall in this price range a lot. A 2000 Jeep with 125k miles will often be listed for under 3k but it sells in like 4 minutes.

Some of the mechanics we talked to are down on Honda's. But the bigger problem is that the kids LOVE them so an Accord with 160k miles is over $2,500. We have been looking but Honda's are hard to find at this price point.

Who are you going to trust on this one: A mechanic you know, or a guy you met on the internet?

for what it's worth, you can have it inspected by "inspectmyride.com" my bro in law did it for a car he picked up out of state. he was very happy with them

good luck

I will check out that site. We have a mechanic working with us so I think we will be okay if it is local. Otherwise we might have a wholesale option available. That would be the best bet, price wise especially.

Who are you going to trust on this one: A mechanic you know, or a guy you met on the internet?

My instincts tell me to go with the internet guy. This is a really good point, sorry for my poor wording earlier. :)

1993 Ford Taurus 4 Door - $1400 (Suffolk County)

Date: 2012-04-01, 6:35AM EDT

Reply to: gtbkd-2933879139@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Clean Clean Clean 1993 Ford Taurus with a 150,000 miles 4 Door green. Car has 4 new tires, remote start, Car is a great first car or a station car

asking 1400 will to negotiate. car is Clean inside and out.

1993 Ford Taurus 4 Door - $1400 (Suffolk County)

Date: 2012-04-01, 6:35AM EDT

Reply to: gtbkd-2933879139@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Clean Clean Clean 1993 Ford Taurus with a 150,000 miles 4 Door green. Car has 4 new tires, remote start, Car is a great first car or a station car

asking 1400 will to negotiate. car is Clean inside and out.

Pretty sure 90's Fords still really sucked. I had a '98 Contour that was probably the worst car I ever had in my life (and I've had a few winners!), and my daughter drives her grandfather's Taurus which is also a POS.

I have an '05 Accord that I love. 130k and never a problem.

lada = shitty soviet/russian econbox crap. Was in Poland back in the late 90's and there was tons of them. I think a used lada is like the standard first car for kids in eastern europe.

Thanks. Never heard of it.

Pretty sure 90's Fords still really sucked. I had a '98 Contour that was probably the worst car I ever had in my life (and I've had a few winners!), and my daughter drives her grandfather's Taurus which is also a POS.

I have an '05 Accord that I love. 130k and never a problem.

You couldnt kill the older Accords.

I had a friend in GA. who entered a daily driver Honda high miles contest . He had just over 350K on his without a major problem and lost to a guy with over 400K, both had original motors and were Accord wagons.

Honda's accord's never die. Trust me. I own one. THE most reliable car I've ever owned. I'm giving it to my niece who interestingly enough is getting her learner's permit in July. Scary. Scarier is my nephew - High School junior - driving around in the old Family Expedition. Oh, and he has a steady girlfriend. The boy is whipped. Big SUV. Cute girlfriend. I'm thinking happy time, you know? Creeps me out.

Side note - I have to laugh at the mechanics that "are down on Honda's." I bet they are! They aren't exactly a money-maker for them.

Accords do die. But after a great life. I had a 1999 Ex-V6 that i drove for 193000 miles for 13 plus years. It was on its last legs. So i decided to go for a new car last month.

But yeah if you get Accords or Camrys from early 2000s with v6 engines they should be fun rides.

The problem is with the latest generation of Accords. The car has got too big and a friend who bought this car a couple of years back already has had to get the tranny replaced in 30K miles, has had brake issues, the cabin it too noisy et al.

Down on Honda's? Whaaaat?? :D My daily beater civic has over 300,000 miles, still has good compression in all cylinders and passes smog with flying colors. Those honda's of the 90's and early 2000's are some of the most reliable cars ever made. Civic, Accord, and Prelude will go forever if taken care of. I wish I was a bit closer to you so I could inspect cars for you.

The old Toyota pickups are bulletproof also, the 22RE fuel injected 4 cylinder is the one to get, stay away from the 3.0 liter v6 engine in those trucks though, they have a head gasket problem. Manual transmission is the way to go for both Toyota and Honda imo, autos are pricy to replace.

Good luck with the purchase! I have found that it's not so much the manufacturer so much as it is the model of car. Toyota and Honda have cars that I would never consider purchasing, engineering flaws, and high maintenance. I had a Chevy Corsica that went over 300K also, got that one for 300 bucks. :)

Honda's accord's never die. Trust me. I own one. THE most reliable car I've ever owned. I'm giving it to my niece who interestingly enough is getting her learner's permit in July. Scary. Scarier is my nephew - High School junior - driving around in the old Family Expedition. Oh, and he has a steady girlfriend. The boy is whipped. Big SUV. Cute girlfriend. I'm thinking happy time, you know? Creeps me out.

Side note - I have to laugh at the mechanics that "are down on Honda's." I bet they are! They aren't exactly a money-maker for them.

There was certain years they said to avoid. It was transmission related I think.

My mom wants to buy a 2010 Hyundai Accent she wants to pay 10-11 G cash and they won't come down like 500 more dollars to move the car out of that lot-baffling to me...in this economy if someone says I HAVE CASH!!!! you'd think they would jump all over it but they actually want you to lease it or make payments on a buy-all she needs it for is to go to Bingo and Publix so a lease doesn't make sense.

It's cool. A lot of fun, but absolutely no downtime. Sometimes I wish I could just sit down and read for day, or sleep for a day, but no time. There's just so much else going on, which is awesome and annoying at the same time.

I just realized I said time a lot there.

i had a 1988 Jeep Comanche Pick up, with 180,000 miles on the original straight 6 and a hole in the top half of the gas tank. i just got rid of it for $400 to some kid who was gonna turn it into a flat bed. i would've given it to you had i known you were looking. best truck i ever owned.

218B1BAD-01D7-4CC3-8215-34BF6E36EABC_1.jpg

Archived