Wilfork <3's irony.

Integrity28

Vince Wilfork: NFL rules protect “wimpy” quarterbacks

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 17, 2012, 7:20 AM EDT

wilforkjuly29getty-e1313639371761.jpg?w=236 Getty Images

Add Patriots defensive tackle Vince Wilfork to the legions of NFL players who aren’t in favor of all the rules designed to improve player safety.

Asked on Monday what he’d change about the NFL if he could, Wilfork said NFL rules don’t do enough to protect defensive linemen like him from guys taking out their knees, while simultaneously doing too much to protect quarterbacks from anyone laying a finger on them.

One thing I’d get rid of is the penalties, certain penalties,” Wilfork said, via the Boston Herald. “I can do without them. You have a guy that’s making $30 million a year, but you can’t touch him. C’mon, let’s be for real now. Me as a defensive lineman, it’s OK for somebody to hold me up, and another guy to come and chop my legs, and I can’t protect myself. I can do without that. That’s probably the main thing. Being able to hit a quarterback good. We need that. We need that back right there. But you hurt the franchise of your team if you’re allowed to tee off on the quarterback. Cuz you know, quarterbacks are wimpy.”

In 2008, Wilfork was called into a meeting with the league office after multiple personal fouls, and Wilfork called that meeting with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell “very productive.” But that doesn’t mean he’s completely on board with the way Goodell is trying to change the culture of the game.

I don't even know where to begin with this...

The NFL is ruining the sport with their new rules trying to make the game better for fantasy football and keep them out if the court room which I dint understand (You play football you get hurt if you don't want to get hurt don't play football) a lot of people get beat up at work and they don't make millions over 5 years then retire.

Also the NFL is thinking about getting rid of kickoffs. WTF???

he is 100% right

the NFL is so effing soft now it's disgusting.

Agreed. I've lost a little bit of my love and/or passion for the NFL over the past few years. Penalties are slowly ruining it. However I consider Pass Interference rules the biggest contributor to my losing interest.

Agreed. I've lost a little bit of my love and/or passion for the NFL over the past few years. Penalties are slowly ruining it. However I consider Pass Interference rules the biggest contributor to my losing interest.

Pass interference is the ****in worst.

The real problem, IMO, is all the research that has brought to light the seriousness and prevalence of concussions in the sport, and how the basic fundamentals of the sport (line play- 3pt stance), make head trauma unavoidable. The league offices know that sooner or later, retired players suffering the effects of long term chronic brain injuries are going to get together and sue the NFL for just about all they are worth. It is well known that coaches and organizations around the league have tried and will continue to try to "game" the safeguards and regulations surrounding concussions, and that the players suing them will have a real case behind them.

Since they have made no progress in finding a helmet that can both successfully absorb contact to prevent concussions and protect the brain against skull fractures and other such injuries, they are under heavy pressure to take other precautionary measures in order to protect themselves. However, the only way to do this is to alter the very basic aspects of the sport that are so conducive to concussions (grabbing of the face-mask, helmet-to-helmet collisions, defenders leading with the head, etc, etc....

The real problem, IMO, is all the research that has brought to light the seriousness and prevalence of concussions in the sport, and how the basic fundamentals of the sport (line play- 3pt stance), make head trauma unavoidable. The league offices know that sooner or later, retired players suffering the effects of long term chronic brain injuries are going to get together and sue the NFL for just about all they are worth. It is well known that coaches and organizations around the league have tried and will continue to try to "game" the safeguards and regulations surrounding concussions, and that the players suing them will have a real case behind them.

Since they have made no progress in finding a helmet that can both successfully absorb contact to prevent concussions and protect the brain against skull fractures and other such injuries, they are under heavy pressure to take other precautionary measures in order to protect themselves. However, the only way to do this is to alter the very basic aspects of the sport that are so conducive to concussions (grabbing of the face-mask, helmet-to-helmet collisions, defenders leading with the head, etc, etc....

The personal foul aka helmet to helmet/defenseless receiver is another rule I think they have all wrong. Hear me out, just hear me out first. In game penalties should be dismissed, it's an utter joke how subjective and difficult it can be for a referee to call such a penalty at full speed while in game mode. My stance is no penalty should be called during the game. However I believe they should make the penalties given via league office much...much more severe when warranted. Where there is time to see replays and intent and where there can be some deliberation among multiple opinions of league officials. I would fully support one to multi game bans (depending circumstance) and heavier fines when need be. But these in game 15 yards and first downs for such questionable calls at times have held way too much weight deciding way too many outcomes of way to many games imo.

The personal foul aka helmet to helmet/defenseless receiver is another rule I think they have all wrong. Hear me out, just hear me out first. In game penalties should be dismissed, it's an utter joke how subjective and difficult it can be for a referee to call such a penalty at full speed while in game mode. My stance is no penalty should be called during the game. However I believe they should make the penalties given via league office much...much more severe when warranted. Where there is time to see replays and intent and where there can be some deliberation among multiple opinions of league officials. I would fully support one to multi game bans (depending circumstance) and heavier fines when need be. But these in game 15 yards and first downs for such questionable calls at times have held way too much weight deciding way too many outcomes of way to many games imo.

Well thats the issue. The only way for them to prevent concussions is to drastically change the rules. Drastically changing the rules would lose a bunch of fans, which would also cost them millions. So they try to make small changes to the rules, asking refs to call more of these penalties. Of course, the problem here, as you pointed out, is that refs are humans, they miss calls, they make mistakes, and they are influenced by situation... They are not going to call, for example, a helmet to helmet blow between two linemen on a 4th and goal in the last 2 mins of the game that had no real impact on the result of the play...

Not a terrible idea...It would lead to a freaking no holds barred blood bath super bowl! No one would care about implicit suspensions, and the in game hits would be nasssssssty! I like it!!

Yes and people are complaining more than ever. Been an immense change since Goodel took over for Taglibue. Maybe they should have went with Condoleeza?

People might be complaining but nobody's stopped watching/going/buying the crap. Until then...

The games bigger than ever because of fantasy football not because of the pussy version theyre playing today. True football fans aren't happy at all with it.

There is some truth to that but that only impacts September through December and it does not affect every single fan.

You also have the playoffs. Superbowl. Free Agency. Draft. Training Camp. And then back to the season. FF is just one fix to keep us hooked.

Well thats the issue. The only way for them to prevent concussions is to drastically change the rules. Drastically changing the rules would lose a bunch of fans, which would also cost them millions. So they try to make small changes to the rules, asking refs to call more of these penalties. Of course, the problem here, as you pointed out, is that refs are humans, they miss calls, they make mistakes, and they are influenced by situation... They are not going to call, for example, a helmet to helmet blow between two linemen on a 4th and goal in the last 2 mins of the game that had no real impact on the result of the play...

I have to disagree.

Every generation can claim the NFL has been pussified since they started watching. In 10-15 years, I am sure that generation will say the same thing.

Yet, the league keeps chugging along. We keep watching the game in record numbers.

And as much as people bitch about it, you are still talking about it. Just like they do on Sports Talk Radio and Sports TV shows. Baseball is starting. The NBA is getting ready for the playoffs while Hockey is in its most popular portion of the season, yet NFL drives most shows.

A great solution to this? Get rid of helmets and stop letting these dumbasses think they're human missiles.

You're right about the lawsuits though...it's an excellent reason why the sport can saw "screw it, we're barbaric and we accept that."

A great solution to this? Get rid of helmets and stop letting these dumbasses think they're human missiles. You're right about the lawsuits though...it's an excellent reason why the sport can saw "screw it, we're barbaric and we accept that."

Ha. Mine as well say "we will be run out of business by lawsuits by years end, and we accept that. Thanks for your business"

There is some truth to that but that only impacts September through December and it does not affect every single fan. You also have the playoffs. Superbowl. Free Agency. Draft. Training Camp. And then back to the season. FF is just one fix to keep us hooked. I have to disagree. Every generation can claim the NFL has been pussified since they started watching. In 10-15 years, I am sure that generation will say the same thing. Yet, the league keeps chugging along. We keep watching the game in record numbers. And as much as people bitch about it, you are still talking about it. Just like they do on Sports Talk Radio and Sports TV shows. Baseball is starting. The NBA is getting ready for the playoffs while Hockey is in its most popular portion of the season, yet NFL drives most shows.

Thats because rules haven't been drastically changed at all, really. Over time they have put emphasis on certain rules or created certain rules in order to try to reduce the prevalence of concussions and other brain injuries, but the game has hardly been changed, and concussions are still a very common part of football. Nor will they be drastically changing the rules any time soon.

They would have to:

Eliminate the 3pt stance and alter just about everything along the lines...

Change the rules on fumbles to prevent pile ons...

Harsher punishments for helmet-to-helmet tackles, facemasks, etc...

Eliminate blind side hits...

Etc, etc.

Obviously, instituting those changes would lose fans and money without question. Owners know that and will never approve.

The NFL is ruining the sport with their new rules trying to make the game better for fantasy football and keep them out if the court room which I dint understand (You play football you get hurt if you don't want to get hurt don't play football) a lot of people get beat up at work and they don't make millions over 5 years then retire.

Also the NFL is thinking about getting rid of kickoffs. WTF???

Yea I heard that was Mara's idea?? Not too sure....

Part of the problem with the calls is that they are SO subjective. Pass interference is the worst in terms of subjectivity that impacts the game, but bumping into the QB and the kicker shouldn't result in 15 yard penalties...like in the Brady video where somebody falls and hits his legs and boom, penalty. I hate that with the fire of a thousand suns.

Thats because rules haven't been drastically changed at all, really. Over time they have put emphasis on certain rules or created certain rules in order to try to reduce the prevalence of concussions and other brain injuries, but the game has hardly been changed, and concussions are still a very common part of football. Nor will they be drastically changing the rules any time soon.

They would have to:

Eliminate the 3pt stance and alter just about everything along the lines...

Change the rules on fumbles to prevent pile ons...

Harsher punishments for helmet-to-helmet tackles, facemasks, etc...

Eliminate blind side hits...

Etc, etc.

Obviously, instituting those changes would lose fans and money without question. Owners know that and will never approve.

Every read the book Tipping Point? Long story short it is about a bunch of small actions causing a great change.

I agree that the game has not changed much in the last 10, 20 or 30 years. However, the accumulation of all the small changes have greatly changed things.

It is a passing league now. Runningbacks are becoming less relevant. Yeah, the game is the same, but it is different. And with the no point of interest for concussions, I could see some more small changes that change things. Belichick joked(?) about eliminating the KO. Now, an owner is saying as much. Would it be that surprising if it was eliminated to lessen contact? Not to me.

Archived