LT To Retire as a Charger

flgreen

LaDainian Tomlinson to retire as a Charger

Published: Sunday, June 17, 2012, 12:56 PM Updated: Sunday, June 17, 2012, 12:57 PM

3492.png By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Follow

Email Print

11191427-large.jpgChris Trotman/Getty ImagesLaDainian Tomlinson will announce his retirement in a press conference at 2 p.m. tomorrow.

LaDainian Tomlinson, a future Hall of Fame running back, will retire from the NFL tomorrow back in San Diego, the Chargers announced today.

Tomlinson, who built an impressive nine-year resume with the Chargers before playing two seasons for the Jets, will re-sign with San Diego and announce his retirement at a press conference at 2 p.m. tomorrow. His announcement from Chargers Park will be live-streamed on Chargers.com.

Tomlinson, 32, will leave the game as the NFL's fifth-leading rusher. A first-round pick by the Chargers in 2001, he amassed 13,684 rushing yards over an impressive 11-year pro career. He twice won the NFL's rushing title, in 2006 and 2007, and was also named the league MVP in 2006, when he set an NFL single-season record with 31 touchdowns.

Tomlinson made a difference off the field, too, earning the NFL's Walter Payton Man of the Year award in 2006 along with Drew Brees.

Tomlinson had a tearful split with the Chargers in 2010, before finding a second wind to his career in New York. He helped the Jets to the AFC Championship Game in the 2010 season and was an important veteran presence and locker-room leader.

After the Jets' disappointing 8-8 finish in 2011, Tomlinson said he would weigh his options and that retirement was a possibility. He always held in the back of his head the potential of retiring as a Charger.

Whats insulting about it?

You ended with the Jets. Retire as is and don't sh*t on the whole fanbase that was excited to have you play for the team. He's going to the Hall either way and it's not like baseball where you have a cap put on you picked by MLB. But like I said, I'm choosing to believe this has more to do with how successful he was in SD and nothing to do with how he didn't like NY or its fans.

You ended with the Jets. Retire as is and don't sh*t on the whole fanbase that was excited to have you play for the team. He's going to the Hall either way and it's not like baseball where you have a cap put on you picked by MLB. But like I said, I'm choosing to believe this has more to do with how successful he was in SD and nothing to do with how he didn't like NY or its fans.

He was here for two seasons... well after his prime. He had his hall of fame career in SD. He wants to finish where he started. Plus, its not like he is the first to do it. Its a nod to SD, as opposed to a knock at us.

He was here for two seasons... well after his prime. He had his hall of fame career in SD. He wants to finish where he started. Plus, its not like he is the first to do it. Its a nod to SD, as opposed to a knock at us.

Agree

Plus he was loved by the fans in San Diego. He did the right thing

It's still douchy when the Jets do it. I just never got to complain about it here before.

The douche thing to do would have been to retire a Jet and give the San Diego fan base a big middle finger after buying his jerseys for nine years.

I think he had another season in those left as a 3rd down back....solid career

Loved him wearing Green and White....hated him sh1tting on Rex and the team on the way out of town

F-him

Exactly. He still had something left. And it did hurt when he went off on the Jets afterwards. Sad, but still love the guy.

Post image for LaDainian Tomlinson Set To Retire

The San Diego Chargers have announced that they will re-sign future Hall of Fame running back LaDainian Tomlinson and that he will immediately retire.  This will take place on Monday and was announced on their website.

Running back LaDainian Tomlinson, the NFL’s fifth all-time leading rusher and the San Diego Chargers’ first-round pick in the 2001 NFL Draft, will re-sign with San Diego and immediately announce his retirement from the National Football League at a press conference Monday at Chargers Park.

The announcement will be streamed live on Chargers.com on Monday, June 18 at 11 a.m. (PT) Tomlinson and Chargers President Dean Spanos will speak.

I think the Chargers handled this guy horribly. When you look at how many touches this guy had during his career at San Diego it was no surprise the guy was beat to hell and never able to produce in the playoffs. Some may not like him because he told it like he saw it but to be honest this team needed an LT and McElroy to bring the issues out IMO. Sure I hate the media still overblowing the team issues that no longer seem to exist but maybe all the attention opened some eyes in the Jets organization and lit a fire under Rex's a$$ to get his team in order

F LT that whiny little back stabbing bitch.

Good riddance.

Hey, but he's keeping his Jets tattoo

LT thanks Jets, will keep tattoo

June, 18, 2012

Jun 18

4:03

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Former Jets RB LaDainian Tomlinson, who returned to San Diego Monday to sign a ceremonial, one-day contract so he could retire a Charger, thanked Jets owner Woody Johnson and the organization during his televised retirement speech.

Tomlinson said he enjoyed "two great years in New York of chasing the dream, chasing that Super Bowl trophy."

The Jets will remain part of Tomlinson -- literally. The Jets-logo tattoo on his right calf, which he got soon after signing with the team, will remain. Tomlinson said he'll simply add the dates "2010-2011" to the tattoo.

The future Hall of Famer finished out his brilliant career with the Jets, who signed him after he was dumped by the Chargers after the 2009 season. The Jets had no intention of re-signing him for 2012. Tomlinson, a free agent, said he had opportunities to sign elsewhere, but he called Chargers owner Dean Spanos several weeks ago to tell him he'd like to retire as a Charger.

"I always felt in my heart I was a Charger," said Tomlinson, who remained remarkably composed at his news conference, where he appeared with his wife, two small children and mother.

"I've had five moinths to actually contemplate and think about retiring, and I knew at the end of the season, after last year, it might be a possibility that I would walk away from the game," he said. "It wasn't because I didn't want to play anymore; that wasn't the reason. It was simply time to move on."

In a haunting moment, Tomlinson quoted his former teammate, the late Junior Seau, to describe his emotions. When Seau retired (he eventually returned to football), he called it a graduation day.

"Today, I take the words of Junior Seau: I feel like I'm graduating," he said, adding that he's happy, healthy and looking forward to the rest of his life.

Asked what he'd miss most, Tomlinson said the locker-room camaraderie. Presumably, he wasn't referring to the Jets' locker room last season. The turmoil, he famously said in a TV interview after the season, was the worst he'd ever been around.

Archived