Irsay, Colts working on a big trade; rumored to be for a CB

T0mShane

Obviously, it's unlikely. But here's my varnished scenario, anyway:

If the Colts think that they can win next year with Luck (who looks freaking awesome so far), backed by Chuck Pagano's scheme (see: Rex Effect), they could be inclined to accelerate their rebuilding plan.

From the Jets' point of view, they have to realize by now that Sanchez probably isn't the answer, and that not girding themselves for the eventuality of moving on from him will cost them dearly. Revis is going to get a contract extension that may literally bankrupt Woody Johnson. (Jason McCourty--who isn't half of Revis--just re-upped for $8m+ per (5 yrs./$43m/$20m gtd)). Revis, as we know, has also been poking at Tannenbaum this offseason, calling him, essentially, a liar and pointing out that Tanny has submarined Sanchez. There could be the slightest chance that Tannenbaum and Johnson roll the dice on solving their two biggest problems in one fell swoop, while at the same time buying themselves (and Rex) a down-ish year, with the hopes that using their newly-found cap space and draft picks to upgrade the offense next season.

Consider--the Jets could probably go 7-9, 8-8 this season, even without Revis. Even if they dip to 6-10, they're still going into 2013 with a bunch of draft picks, one less fiasco with a Revis negotiation, and a bunch of long-term financial flexibility that they wouldn't have otherwise.

If jets have 2 picks in top 10, Tannybum needs to be out of picture, or else this is all for naught. I think a new GM picks a real coach too, rex wll go back to being a DC on some other team

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Colts think that they can win next year with Luck (who looks freaking awesome so far), backed by Chuck Pagano's scheme (see: Rex Effect), they could be inclined to accelerate their rebuilding plan.

From the Jets' point of view, they have to realize by now that Sanchez probably isn't the answer, and that not girding themselves for the eventuality of moving on from him will cost them dearly. Revis is going to get a contract extension that may literally bankrupt Woody Johnson. (Jason McCourty--who isn't half of Revis--just re-upped for $8m+ per (5 yrs./$43m/$20m gtd)). Revis, as we know, has also been poking at Tannenbaum this offseason, calling him, essentially, a liar and pointing out that Tanny has submarined Sanchez. There could be the slightest chance that Tannenbaum and Johnson roll the dice on solving their two biggest problems in one fell swoop, while at the same time buying themselves (and Rex) a down-ish year, with the hopes that using their newly-found cap space and draft picks to upgrade the offense next season.

Consider--the Jets could probably go 7-9, 8-8 this season, even without Revis. Even if they dip to 6-10, they're still going into 2013 with a bunch of draft picks, one less fiasco with a Revis negotiation, and a bunch of long-term financial flexibility that they wouldn't have otherwise.

agree with almost everything except doubt this team can win 8 games with revis, much less without

tl; dr

FWIW Trading Revis for a boat load of picks is not that far fetched of an idea. Probable? no, possible? yes.

You have to figure the Jets realize by now that they are mediocre at best the next few years with this mook of a QB they have and thats with or without Revis. I honestly believe they can go 8-8 with or without him so why worry about losing him. If the opportunity presented itself to divest itself of Revis and his absolutely rediculous upcoming contract demands, for enough high picks to re-boot into contenders again they would be fools if they didnt at the very least entertain the idea and see whats offered.

FWIW Trading Revis for a boat load of picks is not that far fetched of an idea. Probable? no, possible? yes.

You have to figure the Jets realize by now that they are mediocre at best the next few years with this mook of a QB they have and thats with or without Revis. I honestly believe they can go 8-8 with or without him so why worry about losing him. If the opportunity presented itself to divest itself of Revis and his absolutely rediculous upcoming contract demands, for enough high picks to re-boot into contenders again they would be fools if they didnt at the very least entertain the idea and see whats offered.

I offered Irsay 3 #1's revis and sanchez for andrew Luck and he politely declined lol

If jets have 2 picks in top 10, Tannybum needs to be out of picture, or else this is all for naught. I think a new GM picks a real coach too, rex wll go back to being a DC on some other team

Tanny would be fine with 2 top 10 picks. It is a no-brainer to grab the two best TE's. Ground and pound, baby.

Hey now cmon. Give credit where its due. Pick 6 its what the boy does best. Name one better at it please.

Oh wait, Irsay/ cornerback trade rumor...................

OK Yes I think if we could get the Colts 1st rounder 2 years in a row and maybe a mid rounder or 2 for Revis Jets should go for it.

(if Colts are stupid enough to go for this)

Should be high 1st round picks. Dont see Colts winning more than 4-5 games this year.

Jets can get a real QB and dump Snachez.

Could be for the Jets what the Herschel Walker trade to Minn was for Dallas.

I have news for you. If this years Jet team is as bad as the fans would have you believe right now, then they can keep Revis and likely end up with a top 10 pick next year anyway.

With the scouting department and FO completely incapable of drafting anyone competent on the offensive side of the ball. I'd rather just keep Revis, draft an OT next year in the top 10 and sign a FA veteran QB. We do a little bit better signing QBs than we do drafting them. Doesn't matter though, as long as we go back to building the best OL and defense in the league, if we can get a vet QB who doesn't LOSE games in spite of the pieces around him, then we'll do alright.

I've given up on the thought of the Jets drafting a great QB.

Sorry if this didn't come across in my previous reply. Your idea in premise is okay. However, I find it to be reactionary (based on 2 preseason games) and a lost cause because of a lack of faith in our front office. Colts could trade us their 1st rounder for 10 years, I have no faith our Bradway-led scouting and Tanny find us a QB, or pretty much anything else that resembles an offensive skill player.

the entire Irsay trade rumor is nothing more than a motivational tool for the CB's currently on their roster.

What better way to motivate a player than to put out a "rumor" that his replacement is on his way? I had a high school football coach who tried some of the same nonsense (just a long time before the twitter existed).

the entire Irsay trade rumor is nothing more than a motivational tool for the CB's currently on their roster.

What better way to motivate a player than to put out a "rumor" that his replacement is on his way? I had a high school football coach who tried some of the same nonsense (just a long time before the twitter existed).

Your HS coach was going to make a trade? Shiiiieeet.

There are rumors floating that the Colts are interested in Welker from the Pats, apparently spurred by the fact that Welker didn't play in last night's game.

And you trust th Jets with Draft picks or would it be better atthe end of the year to just clean house including bradway and bring in Casserly to start buildingthis team correctly

yep and he can actually evaluate talent and guess what he actually played football too, he can hire an MIT grad to do his moneyball.

Really? I thought he had Sanchez above Stafford. Or are you thinking the Lions did a better job surrounding Stafford with offensive talent?

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id=09000d5d80dff358&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Really? I thought he had Sanchez above Stafford. Or are you thinking the Lions did a better job surrounding Stafford with offensive talent?

http://www.nfl.com/n...ts&confirm=true

“If you're going to draft a quarterback high, that's going to be your guy, they all want him to play immediately, and so I don't think Stafford or Sanchez is ready to step in immediately,” Mayock said. “That's the first question I ask if I'm a GM.

“On the other hand, if I had an opportunity to develop a quarterback, I'm not sure I'm going to want to take him in the top 10 if he's going to sit for a year or two. So to me, it's still early in the process, I got a lot more tape to watch of these kids, a lot more evaluation to do. But right now I think they're both wonderful talents, but I don't think they're top-10 picks because I don't think either is ready to come in and play Day 1.”

“If you're going to draft a quarterback high, that's going to be your guy, they all want him to play immediately, and so I don't think Stafford or Sanchez is ready to step in immediately,” Mayock said. “That's the first question I ask if I'm a GM.

“On the other hand, if I had an opportunity to develop a quarterback, I'm not sure I'm going to want to take him in the top 10 if he's going to sit for a year or two. So to me, it's still early in the process, I got a lot more tape to watch of these kids, a lot more evaluation to do. But right now I think they're both wonderful talents, but I don't think they're top-10 picks because I don't think either is ready to come in and play Day 1.”

I'm not sure you mean to suggest whether these quotes support Mayock as a GM. He compared Sanchez to Matt Ryan so if he's saying that he would not have drafted Matt Ryan in the Top 10 then I have my doubts how he could build a successful team in the current NFL.

I'm not sure you mean to suggest whether these quotes support Mayock as a GM. He compared Sanchez to Matt Ryan so if he's saying that he would not have drafted Matt Ryan in the Top 10 then I have my doubts how he could build a successful team in the current NFL.

matt ryan is not anything special

http://www.nfl.com/n...ts&confirm=true

The answer to your question Jetscode is yes the lions did a much better job surrounding Stafford with talent.

Archived