Should The Jets Just Tank 2013 For Higher 2014 Draft Picks?

kelticwizard

Try For 2013 Or Tank For 2014?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Should We Try For This Year Or Tank It For Next Year?

• Try For 2013
    • Tank It For 2014 Draft.

I really hope this isn't the case. If he really really stinks and the team winds up 1-15 with no heart, then yes, but Idzik needs to have a plan in place and the fact Rex is still around should mean both are on some sort of page together. I really don't want a situation like the Chargers with AJ Smith and Marty S. And they were a 14-2 super bowl contender with a pro bowl QB.

I'm hoping there is some plan amongst the whole organization, not a one year plan to stink, fire Rex, and then start over with some other coach. Because the reality is if they fire Rex and bring in some strong candidate like say a Bill Cower or Gruden and so on, those guys aren't going to listen to Idzik and just nod. THey will have their own philosophy, own plan, own agenda. They might work with Idzik but I'm just confused on having a wasted year. Or the Jets fire Rex and they wind up hiring some college coach nobody heard of before.

Meh. You spend 2013 clearing bad Tanny contracts (Holmes, Sanchez, Harris, etc), you draft their replacements this year and next, hope you unearth your next QB, then replace Rex with the hot coordinator. Rebuilding is a three year deal nowadays, with the trick being finding the QB and the coach (in that order).

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh. You spend 2013 clearing bad Tanny contracts (Holmes, Sanchez, Harris, etc), you draft their replacements this year and next, hope you unearth your next QB, then replace Rex with the hot coordinator. Rebuilding is a three year deal nowadays, with the trick being finding the QB and the coach (in that order).

What Hot coordinator?    If you have a hot coordinator who has tons of options these days,  they usually pick the option where they have the most control.   Who would pick the option where the GM already has a plan in place ?    If that's the plan, just dump Rex now and start the rebuilding already. Why waste an entire year and hope you get one of those hot coordinators.  It wasn't like our new GM was the first guy on the list.  I hope he is great and does great things, but who says there will be a ton of great HC candidates next season.    And who knows if they will be any good.

A new HC just means a new plan.    Wasting one season to me is stupid.  Clearing the cap is great, but just throwing away a season and hoping next year you find that great QB in the draft....thats why teams like the Browns keep rebuilding.

As good as Luck is,  the Colts had a few offensive weapons already in place.    A new QB drafted in 2014 comes into a situation where the Jets have what?   A bunch of hopeful rookies?

...With the hot coordinator. The magic is in the details with T0m.

Also the roster has been turning over for two years now. While that doesn't sound as cool and exciting and as great of an excuse as rebuilding yet again, there is no reason to tank this season and listen to T0m's seeming suggestion for two more.

I think I agree. What I don't want to see is Idzik signing the John Abrahams of the world in hopes of squeaking out one or two more wins. If he dips into FA, it has to either be for young guys that will be here for five years, or older, one year rentals who are coming here to fill out a 53. I think Rex has a 6.9% chance of being the Jets coach 365 days from now. I'm not overly interested in making investments in players that the next coach may or may not want or need.

You at a micro brewery when you made this post?  I think you were.

To me, you never tank anything..but thats just me. Are we that bad? I don't think so. Putting the blame game aside, we can turn our season around, it starts with the GM, HC and OC.....and he is the big question mark....can Sanchez (or his replacement) really improve? If he can, we will be in a position to make the playoffs, if he doesn't step it up and chokes again (in Sanchez's case).....we are screwed. Its that simple.

...With the hot coordinator. The magic is in the details with T0m.

Ah, the old Bitonti-Coaching-Apocalypse-Theory that states that the only coach that exists is the coach you have, therefore he's the bestsest coach for that job in the league ever.

Also the roster has been turning over for two years now.

Yes, the cupboard is overflowing with youthful grandeur.

While that doesn't sound as cool and exciting and as great of an excuse as rebuilding yet again, there is no reason to tank this season and listen to T0m's seeming suggestion for two more.

It's a new GM and it will be a new coach. There are ~4 players on offense who can play football. Moving forward, the team is two OL, a couple DL, and two corners they can't afford. They're rebuilding.

If they dumped him for 2013, Rex would be the hot coordinator.

We forget that Rex waited a long time just to get a crack at the Jets job, and that Ozzie Newsome passed him over in Baltimore. If teams had reservations prior to that regarding his ability to lead a franchise, the last two years confirmed those suspicions. The only place I can see giving him a head job next year would be Oakland, otherwise he'll be a DC for the foreseeable future.

Ah, the old Bitonti-Coaching-Apocalypse-Theory that states that the only coach that exists is the coach you have, therefore he's the bestsest coach for that job in the league ever.

No. It's more of being sick of the greener pastures sh*t every few years. It doesn't work. It hasn't worked. Smart franchises aren't firing coaches every other ******* year because that is not what fixes the problem. It's done nothing the other half dozen+ times, why would it suddenly magically work now? Herpa culture change derpa?

Yes, the cupboard is overflowing with youthful grandeur.

It's far from barren and even average QB play has this team in the playoffs for all 4 of Rex's years. They didn't get average in the past two years.

It's a new GM and it will be a new coach. There are ~4 players on offense who can play football. Moving forward, the team is two OL, a couple DL, and two corners they can't afford. They're rebuilding.

If there was going to be a new coach you don't waste a year to sh*t on a guy and call it rebuilding. This is ignoring that no one rebuilds anymore, and certainly not anyone in the Jets' situation. This isn't a "****, tear it down" situation, no matter what you will insist. This is a "**** Sanchez bombed and we need a QB" situation. I do not agree with this nonsense that this team only has 6 NFL caliber players because it's not true.

so is it rex is good and we have a sh*tty roster or is our roster amazing and rex sucks?

cause we are bad but not awful so something must be good and the other bad

JN logic:

QB is the most important thing for a franchise

Sanchez sucks

Fire Rex

#Science

No. It's more of being sick of the greener pastures sh*t every few years. It doesn't work. It hasn't worked. Smart franchises aren't firing coaches every other ******* year because that is not what fixes the problem. It's done nothing the other half dozen+ times, why would it suddenly magically work now? Herpa culture change derpa?

It's far from barren and even average QB play has this team in the playoffs for all 4 of Rex's years. They didn't get average in the past two years.

If there was going to be a new coach you don't waste a year to sh*t on a guy and call it rebuilding. This is ignoring that no one rebuilds anymore, and certainly not anyone in the Jets' situation. This isn't a "****, tear it down" situation, no matter what you will insist. This is a "**** Sanchez bombed and we need a QB" situation. I do not agree with this nonsense that this team only has 6 NFL caliber players because it's not true.

This is what I don't understand.  If Rex is dead in the water,  why not just fire the guy now and start over.   This nonsense to keep him around for one year does what?    I don't think the Jets new GM nor Woody think like Jets fans, at least I hope they don't.    To me it would be stupid to keep Rex around just because of a few bucks and no other reason.  If you already know the guy is fired no matter what he does, why keep him around? 

And if you really think this is a rebuild,  what happens if they bring in Garrard, who hung out with Ray Lewis and got some of his Deer Antler sauce, and just had an avg QB season. Not even great, just average.  Remember the NFL isn't filled with great teams anymore.  As bad as the Jets were this season,  they still could have snuck into the playoffs if Sanchez didnt' stink so much.  Without Revis. Without a legit WR.

So if Revis plays lights out for some big contact, And Rex coaches up his defense, and Marty M proves he should be a coach everybody thinks he is, and the Jets wind up 9-7, how's that rebuilding anything?    Suddenly you have a HC that was supposed to be fired who can't be fired.  You have a team who still has no depth or youth.   And you have a GM who looks like he has egg on his face.

I don't think that's the case, but people around here seem to think thats what should happen.  Will the Jets go 9-7?  Probably not, but even 8-8 or

7-9 means it becomes hard to really call it rebuilding.

I don't think that's the case, but people around here seem to think thats what should happen.  Will the Jets go 9-7?  Probably not, but even 8-8 or

9-7 is better than 8-8 which is better than 7-9. It seems that only a 2-14 team can really be rebuilding. And who wants to sit through that? who will buy season tickets for that? 

Like rebuilding?

how about firing everyone they just hired?

by the way these are professional athletes they aren't gonna tank on purpose. the only way to truly tank is to assemble a Cleveland Indians in Major League quality roster and let them lose naturally. after that you have to clean house. It's a messy and unrealistic proposition. 

This is what I don't understand.  If Rex is dead in the water,  why not just fire the guy now and start over.   This nonsense to keep him around for one year does what?    I don't think the Jets new GM nor Woody think like Jets fans, at least I hope they don't.    To me it would be stupid to keep Rex around just because of a few bucks and no other reason.  If you already know the guy is fired no matter what he does, why keep him around? 

And if you really think this is a rebuild,  what happens if they bring in Garrard, who hung out with Ray Lewis and got some of his Deer Antler sauce, and just had an avg QB season. Not even great, just average.  Remember the NFL isn't filled with great teams anymore.  As bad as the Jets were this season,  they still could have snuck into the playoffs if Sanchez didnt' stink so much.  Without Revis. Without a legit WR.

So if Revis plays lights out for some big contact, And Rex coaches up his defense, and Marty M proves he should be a coach everybody thinks he is, and the Jets wind up 9-7, how's that rebuilding anything?    Suddenly you have a HC that was supposed to be fired who can't be fired.  You have a team who still has no depth or youth.   And you have a GM who looks like he has egg on his face.

Wrecks is still here because Woody Johnson is either deeply and madly in love with him or he doesn't want to pay Wrecks to not coach.

Wrecks deserves to be fired because despite all his tough guy blatherings he has shown himself to be clueless about offense. Wrecks has confirmed in every way he is his father's son. To the Ryans you should only win 13-10 with a great defense and the forward pass is for sissies.

Rex has been here for a year? Where do you buy your weed?

Herp? Derp?

If there was going to be a new coach you don't waste a year to sh*t on a guy and call it rebuilding.

Woody kept your boy--the shoulda-been-aborted-fetus--Brian Schottenheimer here to avoid burning a million dollars. There's almost no plus-value to bringing in a new coach and saddling him with a bad roster. I realize that many of them have good 40 times, and some have even been known to pwn an occasional cone drill (both Gato standards of excellence) but it's a bad roster relative to the rest of the league. Could Peyton Manning get this team to 9-7? Probably. But Peyton Manning isn't here.

This is ignoring that no one rebuilds anymore, and certainly not anyone in the Jets' situation.

Nobody builds rosters anymore. They just slap players together regardless of age, talent, or price, with no coherent plan or coordination, and hope a championship magically appears at some point. And this is how you've won your last 26 Madden Super Bowls.

This isn't a "****, tear it down" situation, no matter what you will insist. This is a "**** Sanchez bombed and we need a QB" situation. I do not agree with this nonsense that this team only has 6 NFL caliber players because it's not true.

Eric Smith is an "NFL caliber player."

Wrecks is still here because Woody Johnson is either deeply and madly in love with him or he doesn't want to pay Wrecks to not coach.

Wrecks deserves to be fired because despite all his tough guy blatherings he has shown himself to be clueless about offense. Wrecks has confirmed in every way he is his father's son. To the Ryans you should only win 13-10 with a great defense and the forward pass is for sissies.

I do agree that the Ryan's are better DC than head coaches.  Rex came into Philly and turned that franchise into a winner. The problem was he couldn't win a playoff game and never gave a crap about the offense.    I imagine if Cunningham put up numbers for Philly like he did with the Vikings that one year,   the Eagles probably win a few super bowls.  That defense was incredible.   But like anything, Ryan wore out his welcome and essentially was banished to Arizona.

As much as Sanchez stinks,  the Jets made two AFC Championships with him.  Would a HOF QB or even a guy like Flacco made a difference?  I don't know because it seems Rex is just like his father in that they just don't give a crap about the offense.   The teams become "offense vs defense" and don't always get along with one another.   Teams bicker.  Fights.   And eventually they just wear out their welcome.  

I think Rex has a lot of potential because the guy knows how to coach up a defense.  It's not like the Jets are loaded with stars.   And even with Revis gone, the Jets defense still kept them in most games.   Stupid butt fumbles,  terrible Sanchez turnovers and Greg getting sacked 11 times was the reason the jets finished 6-10.   The problem as you stated, is I don't even know if it would matter if the Jets had a great QB.  The Ryan's don't seem to want the offense to win games.

I do agree that the Ryan's are better DC than head coaches.  Rex came into Philly and turned that franchise into a winner. The problem was he couldn't win a playoff game and never gave a crap about the offense.    I imagine if Cunningham put up numbers for Philly like he did with the Vikings that one year,   the Eagles probably win a few super bowls.  That defense was incredible.   But like anything, Ryan wore out his welcome and essentially was banished to Arizona.

As much as Sanchez stinks,  the Jets made two AFC Championships with him.  Would a HOF QB or even a guy like Flacco made a difference?  I don't know because it seems Rex is just like his father in that they just don't give a crap about the offense.   The teams become "offense vs defense" and don't always get along with one another.   Teams bicker.  Fights.   And eventually they just wear out their welcome.  

I think Rex has a lot of potential because the guy knows how to coach up a defense.  It's not like the Jets are loaded with stars.   And even with Revis gone, the Jets defense still kept them in most games.   Stupid butt fumbles,  terrible Sanchez turnovers and Greg getting sacked 11 times was the reason the jets finished 6-10.   The problem as you stated, is I don't even know if it would matter if the Jets had a great QB.  The Ryan's don't seem to want the offense to win games.

I dont agree with this.  Rex knows, you need to score to win.  Rex knows, you need a QB to win.  Just because the offense has sucked doesnt mean Rex doesnt care or doesnt put emphasis on it.  In fact, everything the guy has done since he's been a HC has been the opposite.  The emphasis has been on Offense from an acquiring talent standpoint.  It just hasnt panned out.  His first move was to draft his would-be franchise QB.  It hasnt worked.  Since then, the trades, drafts, FA's, etc. - the majority of those moves have been on the offensive side of the ball.

Sure he doesnt attend every offensive meeting, sure he's not drawing up plays to give to his OC...thats fine and not uncommon.  But, I'm sure now, more than ever, as he's watched his team miss the playoffs 2 straight years primarily because of horrific QB play, Rex knows you need an offense and a QB to succeed in the NFL.

This idea that he ignores it is silly.  Their moves havent worked.  Whether you put that on Tanny or Rex, is up to whatever your agenda is, because we'll never know the truth.  But I think its silly to say Rex doesnt want to score points.  

I dont agree with this. Rex knows, you need to score to win. Rex knows, you need a QB to win. Just because the offense has sucked doesnt mean Rex doesnt care or doesnt put emphasis on it. In fact, everything the guy has done since he's been a HC has been the opposite. The emphasis has been on Offense from an acquiring talent standpoint. It just hasnt panned out. His first move was to draft his would-be franchise QB. It hasnt worked. Since then, the trades, drafts, FA's, etc. - the majority of those moves have been on the offensive side of the ball.

Sure he doesnt attend every offensive meeting, sure he's not drawing up plays to give to his OC...thats fine and not uncommon. But, I'm sure now, more than ever, as he's watched his team miss the playoffs 2 straight years primarily because of horrific QB play, Rex knows you need an offense and a QB to succeed in the NFL.

This idea that he ignores it is silly. Their moves havent worked. Whether you put that on Tanny or Rex, is up to whatever your agenda is, because we'll never know the truth. But I think its silly to say Rex doesnt want to score points.

If you're trying to defend Rex here, you'd be better off saying that he ignored the offense because if this is what it looks like when he's paying attention to the offense, he should be ejected from the league.

If you're trying to defend Rex here, you'd be better off saying that he ignored the offense because if this is what it looks like when he's paying attention to the offense, he should be ejected from the league.

Seems harsh. Dont know why he couldnt just stay in the league and not coach offense...but ok.

Aside from him admittedly losing the locker room 2 years ago and the seeming lack of accountability, Rex is doing a great job.

Not sure what that has to do with my comment but I agree.  He's doing an awesome job.  He does more with less than anyone in the league.

Not sure what that has to do with my comment but I agree.  He's doing an awesome job.  He does more with less than anyone in the league.

If you are talking in terms of leadership and establishing accountability, I would agree. He has a long way to go in those areas. The fact that he was able to get a team, to a few playoff wins is indeed awe inspiring.

Problem is, he seems to be regressing toward his mean.

If you are talking in terms of leadership and establishing accountability, I would agree. He has a long way to go in those areas. The fact that he was able to get a team, to a few playoff wins is indeed awe inspiring.

Problem is, he seems to be regressing toward his mean.

True that.  Dude is an awesome head coach.  One of the best in the leagues.  Us Jets fans are lucky to have him.

Archived