Bucs first-round pick is in play for Jets' Revis

gsnts725

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have not ruled out trading their first-round pick in April's NFL draft to the New York Jets as part of the compensation for cornerback Darrelle Revis.

The Bucs own the 13th overall selection and have made improving the league's worst pass defense their top off-season priority. Last week they signed 49ers free agent safety Deshon Goldson to a 5-year, $41.5-million contract.

The Bucs view an opportunity to acquire the 27-year-old Revis, one of the NFL’s top defensive players, as rare even though he is recovering from a torn ACL he suffered in the second week of the 2012 regular season.

Revis was the Defensive Player of the Year in 2009 and a four-time Pro Bowl player. He has one year remaining on his contract.

“There’s only one (team) that knows who they’re taking,’’ Dominik said of the draft. “The thing I’d say is I feel really good about the
success we’ve had drafting players. At the same point, I’m not going to sit there and be bull-headed and not think, “what’s the best thing for the team going forward?” That’s the only way you can build it right.’’

The Bucs may feel differently if they owned one of the top five selections in the draft this year. But some of their draft day failures
have made them more receptive to parting with a first round pick.

Both of the Bucs’ second-round selections in 2009 are no longer with the team. Receiver Arrelious Benn has been plagued by injury and was dealt last week along with a seventh rounder to the Philadelphia Eagles in exchange for a sixth rounder. Defensive tackle Brian Price is out of football.

Defensive tackle Gerald McCoy, the third overall selection in 2010, struggled through two injury-filled seasons before starting 16 games last season to finish with five sacks and earned a trip to the Pro Bowl last year.

If the Bucs remained at No. 13 and utilized their pick, they would likely select a cornerback such as Florida State’s Xavier Rhodes, hoping he could develop into 70 percent of the player Revis was before the injury.

No deal for Revis is likely to come for several more weeks. While other teams have an interest in the Jets’ defensive star, none may have the combination of cap space, need and a willingness to sign Revis to a long-term deal as the Bucs.

Tampa Bay also is not overly concerned with Revis’ recovery from his ACL injury.

“He’s starting to progress,’’ Jets general manager John Idzik said. “It’s really going to be a function of what he can do with his trainers. Darrelle is always going to push the envelope.

"We’re entrusting the people he has around him on a daily basis to pace him so he doesn’t overdo things but at the same rate, we’re pushing it to a degree that he gets back to full strength as soon as possible.’’

The Bucs believe acquiring a talent such as Revis could counter the sort of bold moves made recently by the Atlanta Falcons that has pushed that team to the top of the NFC South.

In 2011, the Falcons traded their 1st- (27th overall), second- (59th) and fourth-round (124th) picks and their first- and fourth-round picks in 2012 to the Cleveland Browns to acquire the sixth overall selection to draft Alabama receiver Julio Jones.

In a quarterback-rich division with quarterbacks such as the Saints Drew Brees, the Falcons Matt Ryan and the Panthers’ Cam Newton, the Bucs know the importance of adding a shut down corner such as Revis.

“They’re really hard to find,’’ Dominik said. “They really are rare and that makes them an interesting commodity. You go into the draft every year and everybody thinks maybe that’s the guy but there are very few of them. When they come out, it’s pretty noticeable who they are.’’

That’s why Dominik has made it clear that any combination of draft picks – including the Bucs’ first-rounder – has not been ruled out for a player such as Revis.

“If we think it’s in the best interest of the team, we will do something,’’ Dominik said. “If that’s a player that everybody is speculating (Revis) or maybe it’s a player at a position that nobody has thought about. But certainly, these meetings are very healthy for those
kinds of discussions to see if there is a way to get this team better and does that include players or draft picks or a combination? That’s what we’ll look at.’’

The Bucs believe acquiring a talent such as Revis could counter the sort of bold moves made recently by the Atlanta Falcons that has pushed that team to the top of the NFC South. 

“They’re really hard to find,’’ Dominik said. “They really are rare and that makes them an interesting commodity. You go into the draft every year and everybody thinks maybe that’s the guy but there are very few of them. When they come out, it’s pretty noticeable who they are.’’

That’s why Dominik has made it clear that any combination of draft picks – including the Bucs’ first-rounder – has not been ruled out for a player such as Revis.

cant help but note the Lowly Jets, who are SO bad they have to trade their best player are picking 9

and the Mighty Bucs with aspirations of challenging the Falcons in their division are picking 13. 

its 4 picks. 

the jets should and will get the Bucs 13 pick.  what they are planning to do with it?

in this scenario they need starters at WR1, CB2, OLB (even after Barnes), OG (even after Colon), TE and FS.

I'd be ok with two best available at any of those positions. Cordarelle at 9. Trufant and Jarvis. Chance/Coop and Eifert.  Tavon Austin, Keenan Allen. They need to get better on offense somehow. 

Floyd or Star might be around but i don't think they go DT. 

Blount is not a very good running back. He is slow and lazy and not good out of the backfield. They just signed Goodson. No need for Blount at all.

First this year, first next year. Minimum.

Minimum? more like maximum. Yes Revis is an outstanding player, but I doubt the Bucs or any team is going to give 2 1sts for a guy coming off an ACL injury and is a constant pain in the ass about his contract.

Blount is not a very good running back. He is slow and lazy and not good out of the backfield. They just signed Goodson. No need for Blount at all.

First this year, first next year. Minimum.

Goodson isn't a 20-carry back even when he's healthy. Granted, Blount might be a headache, but he could be a good complement.

Goodson isn't a 20-carry back even when he's healthy. Granted, Blount might be a headache, but he could be a good complement.

Powell, Goodson, McKnight and draft pick is an okay stable of backs to get the Jets by. Blount is not worth it. He's not better than any RB on the roster currently.

Is it flip-flop week here at JN? First Gato concedes that the team is DOA in 2013, now this?

the team is not DOA in 2013 but they appear to be on course to trade Revis. 

after reading my post let me edit, they won't trade Revis and then go CB in rd 1. even tho it would be way cheaper it's not how Idzik wants to build the team. 

if this were trader Mike I'd say they were gonna move up for Geno Smith and steal all the headlines. idzik appears to want to do the exact opposite of trader mike. 

The Tampa Bay...

In 2011, the Falcons traded their 1st- (27th overall), second- (59th) and fourth-round (124th) picks and their first- and fourth-round picks in 2012 to the Cleveland Browns to acquire the sixth overall selection to draft Alabama receiver Julio Jones.

t.’’

If Julio Jones was got with all those picks how is it that we can give revis away for anything less than this years number one and next years number one pick? I mean I guess i am just ignorant of draft pick value, but wtf.

Am I way off, shouldnt we get at least 2 first rounders?

Btw, give me the #13, a third, and LaGarrette Blount and Revis is yours.

March 12th

Throw 4 mil/1yr in his mouth (Aso) added to the 4 mil he's getting...trade revis/tebow to Tampa Bay for Blount/Clayborn/Barron and a 6th this and next year...just a wild guess.

Great minds...

If Julio Jones was got with all those picks how is it that we can give revis away for anything less than this years number one and next years number one pick? I mean I guess i am just ignorant of draft pick value, but wtf.

You're not way off. I think we should get 2 1sts as well, but at the same token, I really doubt we will. There are a lot of concerns with Revis that scare other GM's, making them unwilling to give up that much for him. 

27 coming off major ACL surgery, one year rental unless you want to pay 15M per vs 4M per

It's tricky. On the value chart, what the Falcons gave up to move up and get Jones is worth 680 + 310 + 48 + 340 + 24, or 1,402. The Bucs' first rounder this year is worth 1,150 and two firsts would be worth 1,725 which is like adding another current second or future first round pick to the Julio Jones trade. It's a huge haul. It'd be different if we were talking about a team with a late first round pick, but that 13th pick is valuable.

Plus, Jones is under team control in Atlanta for a lot less than the Bucs will need to pay Revis. Granted he was unproven, but they obviously felt strongly about him, and Revis is coming off of a major injury. And the Browns had a lot more leverage than the Jets do, since they could have just made those picks. If the Jets don't move Revis they're not going to re-sign him and instead they'll just lose him to unrestricted free agency where he could go to the Pats, Dolphins, Bills, Giants, etc.  Everyone knows it.

Revis is a special player, but let's not get out of control here. The Jets are in a really, really bad situation. Under different circumstances, Revis is quite a lot. But frankly, they'd be lucky to get 13. I personally would prefer they extend him, but if they're not going to do that and it is what it is. I'd be shocked if they got two firsts, let alone more. Thrilled, but shocked.

If you really only have one suitor for Revis, and no inten tion of signing him, then you do something.  I cannot see a team waiting until after training camp to trade for him.  They can't keep the cap space open that long.  They get itchy trigger fingers.

Archived