Rex warming up the vocal chords in Phoenix

Pac

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex: "I know for a fact that we're not actively trying to trade Darrelle Revis. But if somebody calls, you listen."

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex says he thought the first report of Revis trade was "made up, ridiculous." Doesn't sound like he thinks that way anymore.

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex: Revis trade talk is "speculation." Says he doesn't believe it's a forgone conclusion, but "I'm not naive."

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex says he's spoken with Revis recently and that he's "attacking his rehab like nobody's business."

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex on being essentially a lame duck: "I'm not afraid of any position I'm put in."

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex: "I never said [this season] was going to be easy, but I'm excited about the challenges."

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex on whether he needs to make the playoffs to keep his job: "I'm not the person to ask that."

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex: "I do know this -- we're going to play with a passion and a determination and a competitiveness that's going to be unmatched."

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex: "I have nothing to do with trades. My job is to coach the football team."

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex: "We're going to have great competition at the QB position. Obviously, we need to play better at that position."

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex on his relationship with Idzik: "It's been fantastic so far. We've gone to a couple of pro days together, spent a lot of time together."

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex calls Idzik "a football guy" and says they went down a day early to Clemson's pro day recently to get to know each other better.

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Asked if he's worried that a terrible 2013 season might hurt his career and reputation: "The league knows I can coach."

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex: "I don't think people are as concerned about our football team [this season] as maybe they should be."

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex on his uncertain job status: "I'm not afraid of my situation. I'm looking forward to my situation."

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex on all the defensive departures lately: "Sure, it's tough to watch. But I also understand that it is a business. Can't keep everybody."

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex on losing LaRon Landry: "Ooh, that one hurt a little bit. I'm not going to lie. I love the way he plays the game."

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex on lame-duck references: "You're making the assumption that I'm just a short-term guy. I don't see it that way."

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex, on if Jets are rebuilding: "You're going to have a lot of turnover, but rebuilding? Each year in NFL, you feel your team has a shot."

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex says the Ravens went through the same defensive overhaul the Jets are going through when he was coaching there.

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex is talking up Demario Davis, says he has star potential and is a player Jets fans should be very excited about.

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex: Mark Sanchez is our starter, at least for the first snap of minicamp. "Somebody's gotta take it."

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex is talking up David Garrard, although he admits "we recognize that he hasn't played in two years. We're aware of that."

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex on adding Kevin Kolb: "If we think that can help the situation, then I guarantee you we'll look at it."

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex on Garrard: "If we didn't think he was healthy, we wouldn't have signed him."

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex: "We put Garrard thru a workout like I've never seen before. Dave Lee really put him thru it, including two 80-yard sprints at the end."

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex on if he'll guarantee a playoff trip: "I'll leave that to your imagination." Rex obviously isn't going there anymore.

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex: "Quintin Coples is going to be a beast."

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex says Kenrick Ellis will be Jets' starting NT, then is corrected by team PR rep Bruce Speight. "Oh, he's going to COMPETE for the job."

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Good news, Ducasse fans: Rex just declared another Summer of Vlad. Should be gripping.

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex on Holmes' rehab: "Opening day [of the regular season] is the goal."

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex on losing Dustin Keller: "If Dustin's healthy, he's a weapon. He's got WR skills in a TE body."

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex: "The misperception about Marty Mornhinweg is that he likes to throw the ball every down. That might have been true last year, but …"

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex calls Jets' 7-6 win over Cardinals last year "a pillow fight." But he says Jets scouted Kolb heavily during the week leading up to it.

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex refuses to call it a rebuilding year even if the Jets trade Revis.

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Told that he'll be judged by the Jets' W-L record this year, Rex says: "I'm not afraid. … If anything, people should be worried about us."

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex: "I hated Wes Welker. Just kidding … kinda."

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex: "I think my son's bigger than Wes Welker." Jokes that he thought Welker wore "that big helmet" to look bigger.

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex: "We're going to bring it. We are going to bring it. I know what it takes, and I promise you, my guys are going to be ready."

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex, on whether he's ever been asked by Jets management to tone it down: "No, not at all."

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex: "Guaranteeing that Super Bowl is always going to haunt me. If I could ever have a do-over, that would be it."

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Rex: "Nobody's going to feel bad for me, and they shouldn't. The cupboard isn't completely bare."

Love that one about Revis. Keep the man! Vague futures have been sold to me a billion times - fuuuuuck those lies and half truths.

I hope Rex goes America all over their asses this year. The man can coach, and eventually the stupid HCing carousel of changing cultures has to be shown the door.

Love that one about Revis. Keep the man! Vague futures have been sold to me a billion times - fuuuuuck those lies and half truths.

I hope Rex goes America all over their asses this year. The man can coach, and eventually the stupid HCing carousel of changing cultures has to be shown the door.

There is a precedent to the Revis thing working out,..right before or around the time Pat Riley first came to the knicks there was a lot of rumors that they were trying to deal Ewing,.one rumor that got real hot was a deal to Phoenix built around Kevin Johnson which obviously never worked out....so maybe we keep Revis,..who knows.

There is a precedent to the Revis thing working out,..right before or around the time Pat Riley first came to the knicks there was a lot of rumors that they were trying to deal Ewing,.one rumor that got real hot was a deal to Phoenix built around Kevin Johnson which obviously never worked out....so maybe we keep Revis,..who knows.

You realize that Ewing is akin to "great player who couldn't win" right.

Bart Hubbuch ‏@HubbuchNYP
Rex: "I know for a fact that we're not actively trying to trade Darrelle Revis. But if somebody calls, you listen."

Rex: Revis trade talk is "speculation." Says he doesn't believe it's a forgone conclusion, but "I'm not naive."

Do you think that maybe their concealing things from Rex?

Do you think that maybe their concealing things from Rex?

Rex has been Revis's biggest cheerleader. Biggest supporter.   Even before the world thought Revis was the greatest CB, Rex believed he was and bragged about it.  On Reality TV no less.    He doesn't want to lose Revis.     I think he knows something, but he really has no say in what's happening.    He's just the coach now and whatever Idzik is doing,  Rex is more like a guy who can't do anything to stop it.  

What can he say?  He's not a troublemaker employee.   He's just a obnoxious bragger.   At this point, his tail is between his legs and he's doing the only thing he can do.  Plus what can he really do at this point.  The Jets have been a non playoff team that seemed to give up on him the past two seasons.   He's thought to be a lame duck coach on a team who is going to have a bunch of guys who couldn't even be backups on other teams.

If the Jets go 8-8 with this team,  Rex is probably the coach of the year.  If they go 4-12 and he's fired,  what can you really say?  It wasn't like they gave him a good team.

"Hey, Rex, I know the meeting's about to start, but do you think you can run out and grab us a few lattes? Yeah, that'd be great. Here's a twenty. Three venti half-cafs with skim. You keep the change, buddy. K? Thanks."

Hey, Rex. The practice starts at 9am. Press gets here at 8, so we are going to need you in the parking lot by 7 to direct traffic and make sure Mr. Johnson's spot remains open.

he says such ridiculous things though.  Teams should fear us more.  Teams should be thinking about us. Childish prattle.  Teams do think about other teams.  The week before they play them.  Not in March.  Who is he trying to convince; himself?

And he is back to claiming he will call defensive signals and be more involved in defensive meetings. Because it is fun. Not a head coach. A good coach, but not a head coach.

The only thing he'll be able to put on his résumé after this season is that he fielded highly-ranked defenses every year he was here. He's not stupid--he knows he can sell a future employer on the idea that Sanchez ruined his shot.

"Hey, Rex, I know the meeting's about to start, but do you think you can run out and grab us a few lattes? Yeah, that'd be great. Here's a twenty. Three venti half-cafs with skim. You keep the change, buddy. K? Thanks."

Can you please post the conversation between him and the barista, the one about the parade we are going to have at the end of the year?

K? Thanks.

The only thing he'll be able to put on his résumé after this season is that he fielded highly-ranked defenses every year he was here. He's not stupid--he knows he can sell a future employer on the idea that Sanchez ruined his shot.

The Legend of Sancho is now set in stone.  It will become epic if he actually starts this year.

Archived