Kerry Rhodes Gay?

Lil Bit Special

I never understood other people outing someone else.  Having a couple gay friends and hearing the stories, you know how difficult coming out can be to even your closest family members, let alone the entire world.  If the guy truly cares about Kerry, he wouldn't do this in a public forum.   That having been said, it'd be nice to have a league where he didn't have to fear his orientation hurting his free agency chances or relationships with his teammates. 

People should not talk about their private personal relationships in public, whether they be straight or gay.  It is crude behavior.

He wasn't that fast or rangy.  I think that is why he is gone.

Not nice of this guy to out him when it will obviously cost him money and move him towards the Oprah circuit instead of the NFL.

Hollywood doesn't want to be anybody's assistant, but he flies to NFL training camps to assist his friend in becoming an assistant?  I'm confused, but how they met is totally irrelevant.

Can’t help but wonder how the NFL would react if a star QB, lets say Brady,  were to come way out of the closet. 

Wearing women’s clothing, acting in a stereo typical feminine manner.  Even opening a metro gay female clothing line.

I’d love to see how the NFL would react to that 

Most of you know the contempt I had for this guy when he was a Jet for his seemingly gutless style of play coupled with his incessant mouth and desire for the limelight. Not a enviable core for a pro football player. But nobody deserves being treated like this. May be a silver lining in all this with Kerry getting the airtime he always wanted after the transitional smarting goes away. 

Also .... thank God he's at least a few seasons removed from us .... we may not have reached the bottom yet as the joke of professional sports franchises and this would have served as a huge kick further down the stairs. 

I wouldn't doubt it. There was a lot of talk about his potential modeling career, how he was a prima donna, etc. In retrospect, that all could've just been code.

I don't like this story. As others have said, it's his private life. I work in a masculine profession, can't imagine what someone would face coming out of the closet as a utility lineman. The NFL? There's no doubt that this effects his ability to earn a living. It's not right.

Football is the gayest sport there is. The Jets are faggots for doing that.

If I got outed as gay, my entire community would explode, my coworkers would lose their minds and my wife would scream, "we'll that explains it!" Which would be hurtful. And I'm a nobody, apparently. That's just how it is.

Am I the only one who's shocked that lance has a "community?"

Rhodes doesn't have to worry about being rejected by teammates.  The NFL is under an enormous spotlight about this issue and have released press releases about it promoting a hostile free work environment.

Remember, there was the press release after news of draft prospects being asked about their sexual orientation (which is illegal).  There was also the negative backlash against the Niners player during the SB.

As demonstrated by this thread, the issue won't be teammates.  It will be the fans.

Rhodes should've came out earlier.  Maybe his career might have gone better.

BTW, Braylon and Sanchez should be the next to come out.

Rhodes doesn't have to worry about being rejected by teammates.  The NFL is under an enormous spotlight about this issue and have released press releases about it promoting a hostile free work environment.

Remember, there was the press release after news of draft prospects being asked about their sexual orientation (which is illegal).  There was also the negative backlash against the Niners player during the SB.

As demonstrated by this thread, the issue won't be teammates.  It will be the fans.

Rhodes should've came out earlier.  Maybe his career might have gone better.

BTW, Braylon and Sanchez should be the next to come out.

I think the one point that was brought up is that Rhodes was more worried about free agency, as if we are to take the guy for his word, the players already knew and were cool about Rhodes and his partner.  The NFL owners is still a group of good old boys and who knows, maybe one of them will have a problem hiring a gay player, at least on the down low.  Who knows.

I think the one point that was brought up is that Rhodes was more worried about free agency, as if we are to take the guy for his word, the players already knew and were cool about Rhodes and his partner.  The NFL owners is still a group of good old boys and who knows, maybe one of them will have a problem hiring a gay player, at least on the down low.  Who knows.

True, BUT, the NFL and the owners will have a major legal problem if that is the case.  The NFL is so high profile that it's easy to see them being a target of an anti discrimination lawsuit and with NFL salaries being so high and punitive damages available, we're talking about a lot of money and a lot of bad publicity.

While there is no federal law prohibiting sexual orientation discrimination in the private sector, every state/city where an NFL team is located except for the Titans has a law/ordinance prohibiting sexual orientiation discrimination in private employment.  Nashville prohibits discrimination in public employment (i.e., government jobs).

I'm not sure if Rhodes has signed with anyone yet, but if not, I wouldn't be surprised if he is signed quickly.

True, BUT, the NFL and the owners will have a major legal problem if that is the case.  The NFL is so high profile that it's easy to see them being a target of an anti discrimination lawsuit and with NFL salaries being so high and punitive damages available, we're talking about a lot of money and a lot of bad publicity.

While there is no federal law prohibiting sexual orientation discrimination in the private sector, every state/city where an NFL team is located except for the Titans has a law/ordinance prohibiting sexual orientiation discrimination in private employment.  Nashville prohibits discrimination in public employment (i.e., government jobs).

I'm not sure if Rhodes has signed with anyone yet, but if not, I wouldn't be surprised if he is signed quickly.

I don't know, man. You think he's more likely to be signed because of his alleged sexual orientation? I find that hard to believe. I think he's having a difficult time finding work simply because teams don't like Kerry Rhodes as a player. He needs to find a team that thinks he can be useful on the field and not have a prejudice against him.

Kerry could try to sue, I imagine, but I can't see that being a major factor for teams who a.) didn't want him in the first place or, b.) don't want a gay player in their locker room.

Still telling us how the legalities of the sports world works after the 2011 lock-out advice? Giants board down?

Still telling us how the legalities of the sports world works after the 2011 lock-out advice? Giants board down?

I was 100% correct then, so I have no clue what you're talking about.

And I like slumming with you guys. :biggrin:

I don't know, man. You think he's more likely to be signed because of his alleged sexual orientation? I find that hard to believe. I think he's having a difficult time finding work simply because teams don't like Kerry Rhodes as a player. He needs to find a team that thinks he can be useful on the field and not have a prejudice against him.

Kerry could try to sue, I imagine, but I can't see that being a major factor for teams who a.) didn't want him in the first place or, b.) don't want a gay player in their locker room.

First, I don't think he's being blackballed at all for any reason.  That wasn't my point. 

Context is important.  Look at Broadway's post and my response.  He raised the bigotted owner scenario and I responded to that.  The finding work part is just a guess because he's talented enough to make a team.

I didn't think it was a particularly accurate claim, just something that the assistant brought up as an actual worry of Kerry's, so I figured I'd mention it.  Interesting, I didn't know there wasn't a federal law prohibiting that; is there a federal law for sex and race or is that only handled by the states as well??

sh*tty as it may have been to be outted by scorned lover... Kerry Rhodes has the opportunity to be a hero for a ton of people right now.  I hope he takes it.

Spot on EY - his being up to this point suggests there's a small chance of him taking it - but I really want to be wrong about that.

That makes total sense... You'd think he would want to be on top of the pile

it was an interesting story.  there were morons who taunted him at games, but they were shouted down by people with high self esteem and no latent homosexual tendencies that caused them self loathing.  one of his team mates eventually broke the ice with a joke, and life went on

he now is a figure skater, wears hot pants and is ridiculously happy

Archived