Namath's take on Rex Ryan

shhwagah

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yoyo_zpsd443ce64.jpg

Please, don't go there, not the "rookie QB hampered Rex".  Here's what history tells us now:  Mark Sanchez was a very good prospect and one that Rex Ryan ignored.  The kid led us to a 16-4 run, the best bout of consistent winning and elite play since 1969.  Any decent head coach would have made something out of him.  Rex Ryan destroyed him.

SAR I

I actually agree with this. Sanchez got worse here over time, not better. This kid didn't need to be a bust.

The reason why the team was so unprepared after byes is that Rex was the complete opposite of a head coach who cared more about taking teams to Dave and Busters instead of preparing for the next opponent on the roster.

The reason why the team was so unprepared after byes is that Rex was the complete opposite of a head coach who cared more about taking teams to Dave and Busters instead of preparing for the next opponent on the roster.

Except that he tried different methods.  Worked them through both weeks.  Gave them time off in the middle.  Gave them time off at the beginning and then working through.  Obviously nothing worked.  Rex may not learn his lessons, but he certainly seems to know the problem areas.

I actually agree with this. Sanchez got worse here over time, not better. This kid didn't need to be a bust.

A huge part of that is a lousy Sanchez could win games his first 2 seasons because he had the 1and 3 D and the leagues best running game to win games for him. As those units got worse so did Sanchez.

Except that he tried different methods.  Worked them through both weeks.  Gave them time off in the middle.  Gave them time off at the beginning and then working through.  Obviously nothing worked.  Rex may not learn his lessons, but he certainly seems to know the problem areas.

I don't care WHY you worded it that way.  It's a bullsh*t distinction.  The starters sit week 4 preseason.  The coaches have extra time to prep.  Rex did very well in openers and very bad after the bye.  The situations are very similar, the results very different.

Bye is different.

Off the preseason teams don't have much tape. Off the 5, 6, 7 whatever real NFL games theyplay before a bye they do and can scheme accordingl. More so than off limited time for starters, little game planning if any ones during the preseason.

He's wrong about Pettine.

Next promotion for Pettine was HC and he's not getting it as the DC of a defense-only HC running only said-HC's defensive scheme.  Only way for him to get that promotion is to make it on his own away from Rex.  It would be one thing if being a defensive coach from the Rex coaching tree was an asset on a resume but that seems unlikely.

Pettine is the ultimate overachiever.  One year as your own man at DC for a crap team and voila---you are a head coach.  

A huge part of that is a lousy Sanchez could win games his first 2 seasons because he had the 1and 3 D and the leagues best running game to win games for him. As those units got worse so did Sanchez.

Actually, the more NFL coaching Sanchez got, the worse he became. 

The red, yellow, green signals, the paranoid "don't lose the game for us, but we need you to win the game for us" coaching, and Ray Lewis sacking him (on top of a year or two of him getting hammered behind our OL a lot) and he was never the same prospect he was when we drafted him.

We effectively turned him into our own David Carr. Solid potential, ruined by starting him too soon, putting too much on his plate, and letting him get pummeled and shell shocked.

Pettine is the ultimate overachiever.  One year as your own man at DC for a crap team and voila---you are a head coach.  

Rex basically did the same thing. Except he had Ray Lewis and Ed Reed to bolster the mirage that was his resume.

Not really apples to apples.  In his first year he was told to just hand the ball off and don't screw it up for us kid.  Every time they actually tried to take the training wheels off and give him QB type throwing stuff to do, that is when he had issues.

yoyo_zpsd443ce64.jpg

Please, don't go there, not the "rookie QB hampered Rex".  Here's what history tells us now:  Mark Sanchez was a very good prospect and one that Rex Ryan ignored.  The kid led us to a 16-4 run, the best bout of consistent winning and elite play since 1969.  Any decent head coach would have made something out of him.  Rex Ryan destroyed him.

SAR I

add in any decent HC + GM would have made something out of him and I agree.

Actually, the more NFL coaching Sanchez got, the worse he became. 

The red, yellow, green signals, the paranoid "don't lose the game for us, but we need you to win the game for us" coaching, and Ray Lewis sacking him (on top of a year or two of him getting hammered behind our OL a lot) and he was never the same prospect he was when we drafted him.

We effectively turned him into our own David Carr. Solid potential, ruined by starting him too soon, putting too much on his plate, and letting him get pummeled and shell shocked.

You look at it as he worsened due to coaching, which no one can say without a doubt was the cause. We can all agree the talent around him got worse every year. That's a fact and I can't see how it can't be counted as a factor. Sanchez went for a ride his first two seasons, did little to win games. And im not seeing where he was pummeled early or ever. QBs get hit. He didn't take a beating. Let's face it other than watching him blow out a few teams at USC there isn't much to say he was or wasn't a real prospect in retrospect.

You look at it as he worsened due to coaching, which no one can say without a doubt was the cause. We can all agree the talent around him got worse every year. That's a fact and I can't see how it can't be counted as a factor. Sanchez went for a ride his first two seasons, did little to win games. And im not seeing where he was pummeled early or ever. QBs get hit. He didn't take a beating. Let's face it other than watching him blow out a few teams at USC there isn't much to say he was or wasn't a real prospect in retrospect.

I didn't say that, and if I implied it, it wasn't my intent.

I think there's a relative consense that he got worse because of bad coaching; he got worse statistically because of his supporting cast; the shell-shock came in the years that the talent around him got worse, he held the ball longer waiting for WRs to get open and the OL got worse, so he got creamed in his 3rd and 4th years (recollect games where he got crushed and laid on the ground for a while before getting up, he was a bit dramatic, but there's no doubt that if he thought he was getting hit hard, it didn't matter if he really was); finally he didn't have a super-high talent ceiling to begin with, but he didn't have to end up horrible, better circumstances could have taken him further.

I also recall him actually bailing the Jets out in some late game scenarios, he was in fact asked to do more than stay out of the way at times, and at times he played the hero in those first couple years... but in the routine moments of games he was more harm than good.

Anyway, coming back to the original topic... coaching and talent around him have direct ties to Rex's impact on Sanchez. 

It was so blatantly obvious when Soprano was the OC. The Jets that year before the bye could not pick up any blitz packages. running backs and o lineman were missing assignments. after the bye nothing changed lol still missed assignments and qb's getting killed on blitzes. but thats not Rex;s fault because hes only responsible for good things and the defense. everything else is somebody else s fault. So in other words Rex was great at making adjustments during bye weeks only when good things happened on defense, it was soprano who was bad at everything else. not that Rex would say anything or actually hold soprano accountable during the actual season. I mean he hired his entire 4-12 staff from the Jets in Buffalo.

Mark Sanchez was developed poorly. He also wasn't a good prospect. Junior QBs generally struggle in the NFL when they come out early, and Sanchez was inexperienced by junior standards. Pete Carroll was right, he should've stayed in school. Even then, who knows. Matt Leinart stayed in school, and went from the projected #1 overall to #10. That might've (probably did) figure into Sanchez' thinking at the time - that more time in school might expose that he's really not all that good.

I'm standing by and waiting for Chip Kelly to help him realize this potential of his.

It was so blatantly obvious when Soprano was the OC. The Jets that year before the bye could not pick up any blitz packages. running backs and o lineman were missing assignments. after the bye nothing changed lol still missed assignments and qb's getting killed on blitzes. but thats not Rex;s fault because hes only responsible for good things and the defense. everything else is somebody else s fault. So in other words Rex was great at making adjustments during bye weeks only when good things happened on defense, it was soprano who was bad at everything else. not that Rex would say anything or actually hold soprano accountable during the actual season. I mean he hired his entire 4-12 staff from the Jets in Buffalo.

Rex won with Shotty...  who he inherited. When REX chose an OC, he sucked donkey dick.

After the 4-12 2007 year fans wanted Schotty gone Rex had to talk him into staying he was pissed because he didn't get the Jet HC job.

I never thought Schotty was as bad as the fans here on this message board portrayed.  Maybe he out thunk himself at times but he was better than any that followed him by a mile.  He actually made Mark f*cking Sanchez look serviceable.  We always say "if we only had an average QB...."  well Schotty was no worse than an average OC, which we haven't seen since his departure.   

I didn't say that, and if I implied it, it wasn't my intent.

I think there's a relative consense that he got worse because of bad coaching; he got worse statistically because of his supporting cast; the shell-shock came in the years that the talent around him got worse, he held the ball longer waiting for WRs to get open and the OL got worse, so he got creamed in his 3rd and 4th years (recollect games where he got crushed and laid on the ground for a while before getting up, he was a bit dramatic, but there's no doubt that if he thought he was getting hit hard, it didn't matter if he really was); finally he didn't have a super-high talent ceiling to begin with, but he didn't have to end up horrible, better circumstances could have taken him further.

I also recall him actually bailing the Jets out in some late game scenarios, he was in fact asked to do more than stay out of the way at times, and at times he played the hero in those first couple years... but in the routine moments of games he was more harm than good.

Anyway, coming back to the original topic... coaching and talent around him have direct ties to Rex's impact on Sanchez. 

Why is it so hard for folks to see what you are saying. 

People don't even understand the game they are watching.  Folks act like teams win SBs with no running game, poor WRs, and a porous OL. Well they don't.

In fact no team in NFL history has won with that formula, EVER!!!

Sanchez didn't play well at times, no doubt but to blame him for ALL of the failings of the offense is absolve the GM and Rex from their responsibility.

Why is it so hard for folks to see what you are saying. 

People don't even understand the game they are watching.  Folks act like teams win SBs with no running game, poor WRs, and a porous OL. Well they don't.

In fact no team in NFL history has won with that formula, EVER!!!

Sanchez didn't play well at times, no doubt but to blame him for ALL of the failings of the offense is absolve the GM and Rex from their responsibility.

Absolutely, when Mark had Cotch and Braylon, he was "workable".  A good GM makes those 2 understand their role and stay. BOTH did worse for their careers when they left.

Like a young kid quitting a job he shouldnt. a mentor shows them the path.

Tanny didnt have that skill set. He stroked BIG checks to big names to look imprtant. He didnt have the REAL skill a GM needs.

Yes.. I knew that, Point was more about REX not being able to generate an offense. He brings in Sporano who IMO impressed REX by beating us late in the year.

Yeah but if it wasn't for Rex NOTHING good would have happened eleventy billion!!!

Yes.. I knew that, Point was more about REX not being able to generate an offense. He brings in Sporano who IMO impressed REX by beating us late in the year.

You know who else hired Sparano?? The Tuna twice with Dallas and Miami and almost hired Rex for the Fins HC job..LOL

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/bill-parcells-almost-hired-rex-ryan-as-dolphins-head-coach-6534848

Who knows why he brought him in? He did oversee a Dolphin team that improved, was inventive and found different ways to creat offense and score points with little talent. But obviously Rex didn't look deep into it enough to figure out how and why it happened and gave the wrong guy too much credit. I always wondered how much of this hire was from influence by Parcells. He was a confidant

/advisor to Rex, he hired Sporano twice before, did he sell him to Rex?

No matter what a huge mistake on Rex's part, totally agree here.

Who knows why he brought him in? He did oversee a Dolphin team that improved, was inventive and found different ways to creat offense and score points with little talent. But obviously Rex didn't look deep into it enough to figure out how and why it happened and gave the wrong guy too much credit. I always wondered how much of this hire was from influence by Parcells. He was a confidant

/advisor to Rex, he hired Sporano twice before, did he sell him to Rex?

No matter what a huge mistake on Rex's part, totally agree here.

That was Dan Henning doing the trick plays and unpredictable offense with the Dolphins from 2008-2010. He ran the same offense with the Jets in 2000 and with Carolina after that when they went to the super bowl.

Now Rex might have thought it was soprano running that offense on the Dolphins from 2008-2010, but it wasn't.

Archived