Tarvaris Jackson released: Yay or Nay to signing him?

T0mShane

Sometimes I wonder about Jets fans.   So some scrub from another team cant' even make it to preseason and he's suddenly better?   What world do people actually live in. What's next, the Jets should sign John Skeleton.    Sanchez is a bad QB, but TJ can't even make it as a 3rd string QB on the Buffalo Bills during OTA.  You could say but they have Manual and Kolb. EJ is far more raw than Smith and Kolb lost his job to John Skeleton.  And did anybody actually watch the Cardinals QBs last year?   They were 100 times worse than the jets situation.  And they have Fitzgerald.

I just don't get the mentality of "lets sign some 3rd string scrub."

Sometimes I wonder about Jets fans.   So some scrub from another team cant' even make it to preseason and he's suddenly better?   What world do people actually live in. What's next, the Jets should sign John Skeleton.    Sanchez is a bad QB, but TJ can't even make it as a 3rd string QB on the Buffalo Bills during OTA.  You could say but they have Manual and Kolb. EJ is far more raw than Smith and Kolb lost his job to John Skeleton.  And did anybody actually watch the Cardinals QBs last year?   They were 100 times worse than the jets situation.  And they have Fitzgerald.

I just don't get the mentality of "lets sign some 3rd string scrub."

You don't get the mentality of a team desperately needing QB's taking a flier on a QB with NFL experience in a seller's market where QB's are extremely hard to come by?  Really? 

Bring in Jackson for a workout, sign for vet's minimum if he shows anything, cut either Simms or McElroy.  There's zero downside to this.  We can't cut Sanchez because of $$$, but we CAN ensure he doesn't see the field.  This would be one way of making this happen.

You don't get the mentality of a team desperately needing QB's taking a flier on a QB with NFL experience in a seller's market where QB's are extremely hard to come by?  Really? 

Bring in Jackson for a workout, sign for vet's minimum if he shows anything, cut either Simms or McElroy.  There's zero downside to this.  We can't cut Sanchez because of $$$, but we CAN ensure he doesn't see the field.  This would be one way of making this happen.

You would assure Sanchez doesn't see the field because they signed a guy who has been dumped around the NFL and just got cut from the Buffalo Bills in June.  Yeah right.

Your hero coach doesn't think so. Oh, the irony.

You really think Rex doesn't think Sanchez sucks by now?  He cost Rex's boss his job, and Rex is now hanging by a thin thread.  There is no motivation for him to stick with the kid anymore on a professional level.  They can be tattoo buddies off the field but at some point this season, Geno is taking the job from Sanchez.  I think it'll be Week 1.

Your hero coach doesn't think so. Oh, the irony.

I'll also add that if Rex really does stubbornly decide to stick with Sanchez (say, thru Week 6 or so) then I'm in full support of firing him.  I've been very clear on this.  My hatred for Mark Sanchez FAR exceeds my love for Rex.

Starting Jackson would take the spotlight off of this team...which in my mind right now would be a good thing. The sooner we part ways with Mark the better.

I'd rather Tavaris be the sacrificial lamb the first couple months than deal with the Sanchez circus. Jackson's better than Sanchez anyways.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying any of that would lead the Jets to send Sanchez's sorry ass packing in favor of Jackson, as that might never be up for consideration for a variety of different reasons. Rather I'm just not sure what would make any third party think that, as bad as Jackson may be, he's really any worse than Sanchez. That's why I said earlier, the signing of Jackson should be based on the Jets' willingness to potentially cut Sanchez, because it makes absolutely no sense to either (1) keep Sanchez on this roster as the #3 QB if he loses out to Jackson (be it as the starter or backup), or (2) to bring Jackson in and be giving him reps if you're already predetermining that he's got no shot at anything but the #3 spot, which would pretty much be the case if they weren't willing to cut Sanchez or put him at #3. That's of course all assuming the Jets wouldn't be moronic enough to potentially put Geno at #3 behind both of those losers.

oh come on this is utter hogwash.

at his best, Sanchez has demonstrated an abilty to win in the playoff games on the road.

Jackson has demonstrated nothing more than the ability to be a dime a dozen 3rd stringer.

If Jackson was our QB last year they win 2 games. 

Sanchez sucks.

And a guy who got cut in June whom couldn't even be the 3rd string QB on the Buffalo Bills doesn't?  

Jackson's best season and really only starting season was in 2011.  A year where he had 14 TDs, 13 INTs, 5 Fumbles and 3000 yards passing.    

That is the guys best season.    

Sanchez sucks but his best season, also in 2011, he had 26 TDs, 18 INTs,  4 fumbles and 3400 yards passing.        

In what world is 14 TDs and 13 INTs better?

oh come on this is utter hogwash.

at his best, Sanchez has demonstrated an abilty to win in the playoff games on the road.

Jackson has demonstrated nothing more than the ability to be a dime a dozen 3rd stringer.

If Jackson was our QB last year they win 2 games. 

Sanchez has only shown the ability to be handed a starting job on a silver platter, with an endlessly more talented team than Jackson ever got to play with, and still put up worse numbers, nothing more than that.

By pretty much every single measurement and means of evaluation out there, Mark Sanchez was the leagues very worst QB last year.  There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to suggest that there is any QB in the league who would have caused the Jets 2012 season to be any worse than it was.  For the love of God, Greg freakin' McElroy came in and saved the Jets from Mark's sorry ass doing everything possible to lose against the freakin' Cardinals.  That tells you how little it really takes to outperform that useless jackass.

Sanchez has only shown the ability to be handed a starting job on a silver platter, with an endlessly more talented team than Jackson ever got to play with, and still put up worse numbers, nothing more than that.

By pretty much every single measurement and means of evaluation out there, Mark Sanchez was the leagues very worst QB last year.  There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to suggest that there is any QB in the league who would have caused the Jets 2012 season to be any worse than it was.  For the love of God, Greg freakin' McElroy came in and saved the Jets from Mark's sorry ass doing everything possible to lose against the freakin' Cardinals.  That tells you how little it really takes to outperform that useless jackass.

McElroy also came in against the Chargers and nearly set an NFL record for number of times sacked in a single game.

Sanchez played like crap last year with the worst offensive UNIT in the NFL.  What there is no evidence of is that any QB, other than 1 or 2, could have made last years mess of an offense look even adequate.  Mardy Gilyard, Jason Hill, and Konrad Reuland were important weapons.  Say that out loud.

McElroy also came in against the Chargers and nearly set an NFL record for number of times sacked in a single game.

Sanchez played like crap last year with the worst offensive UNIT in the NFL.  What there is no evidence of is that any QB, other than 1 or 2, could have made last years mess of an offense look even adequate.  Mardy Gilyard, Jason Hill, and Konrad Reuland were important weapons.  Say that out loud.

Sanchez sucks.

..Sanchez played like crap last year with the worst offensive UNIT in the NFL.....

......Mardy Gilyard, Jason Hill, and Konrad Reuland were important weapons.  Say that out loud.

I believe we had multiple threads on Gilyard.

That's what we were down to-a fourth round selection who has spent his career just trying to stay on the team, and we had several discussions about how much he can help us.

LOL you just make this sh*t up as you go along dont you ....Go ahead tell me now how the Jets have more talent than the teams Jackson played with

Jackson played bad because hes a bad QB Since Brett Favre Stepped in with the same talent and threw 33 TD's after 2 years of fail from Jackson ... The Jets NEVER had a Peterson, Harvin, Shiacoe, Rice,Taylor

The year before that Favre got to play with the Jets juggernaut and threw 22 TD's 6 coming in one freak game .. Wonder who had the better talent ? Then Sanchez Stepped in with Cotchery and Stuckey why was Sanchez engulfed with all this talent that we had to desparately trade for a broken down Braylon Edwards

LOL you just make this sh*t up as you go along dont you ....Go ahead tell me now how the Jets have more talent than the teams Jackson played with

Nice try, but you'd be the only one here trying to "make sh*t up" considering that was in direct response to the theory that the Jets team success in 2009 / 2010 somehow proves a damn thing about Sanchez's value as a QB.  If you'd like to argue about the supposed inferiority of those Jets teams, with their league-best defense and rushing offense, at any position beyond QB, please have it at, as it's always been fun watching you make an ass out of yourself while desperately trying to defend your endless love affair for crappy Jets' QBs.

Nice try, but you'd be the only one here trying to "make sh*t up" considering that was in direct response to the theory that the Jets team success in 2009 / 2010 somehow proves a damn thing about Sanchez's value as a QB.  If you'd like to argue about the supposed inferiority of those Jets teams, with their league-best defense and rushing offense, at any position beyond QB, please have it at, as it's always been fun watching you make an ass out of yourself while desperately trying to defend your endless love affair for crappy Jets' QBs.

Just admit your wrong and made a bad comparision ... whether or not sanchez is crap, the fact is this team has sh*t on offense and the only reason we ran the ball well was because we had a solid OL and Solid role players who were either sent to the FA market the following year or simply not replaced as in the case of Faneca and Woody. Hartsock, Turner and Richardson were not replaced and simply allowed to move on. This happened in what was to be Sanchez 3rd year and possibly defining year and rather than try to keep these players we signed such stellar talents as Plaxico Mason and did not bother to do anything with the depleted OL.

The Sanchez factor should be put aside when discussing how this team handled the offense over all  BUT that very well could have played a part in his developement or lack there of

If you hate Sanchez as passionately as some of you do, the conversation on how bad this offense really is is simply not worth having.

Jackson played bad because hes a bad QB Since Brett Favre Stepped in with the same talent and threw 33 TD's after 2 years of fail from Jackson ... The Jets NEVER had a Peterson, Harvin, Shiacoe, Rice,Taylor

The year before that Favre got to play with the Jets juggernaut and threw 22 TD's 6 coming in one freak game .. Wonder who had the better talent ? Then Sanchez Stepped in with Cotchery and Stuckey why was Sanchez engulfed with all this talent that we had to desparately trade for a broken down Braylon Edwards

FWIW - when Jackson was actually a starter in Minn, Harvin wasnt there.  Rice was a rookie and Shiancoe was a turd.  Both players were made by Favre and havent been sh*t since.  Jackson's top receiver was Bobby Wade.  True he had AP...but I'd say both Jackson and Sanchez played with some really sh*tty talent.

Just admit your wrong and made a bad comparision ... whether or not sanchez is crap, the fact is this team has sh*t on offense and the only reason we ran the ball well was because we had a solid OL and Solid role players who were either sent to the FA market the following year or simply not replaced as in the case of Faneca and Woody. Hartsock, Turner and Richardson were not replaced and simply allowed to move on. This happened in what was to be Sanchez 3rd year and possibly defining year and rather than try to keep these players we signed such stellar talents as Plaxico Mason and did not bother to do anything with the depleted OL.

The Sanchez factor should be put aside when discussing how this team handled the offense over all  BUT that very well could have played a part in his developement or lack there of

If you hate Sanchez as passionately as some of you do, the conversation on how bad this offense really is is simply not worth having.

Not one single word of what you said has anything to do with the point that Pac tried to make and I subsequently pointed out as being utter nonsense.  You're making a completely different argument about completely different seasons, so I have no idea what you think that proves.  Again, the point I was responding to was Pac's assertion that the Jets overall team success in 2009 and 2010 supposedly proves something about Sanchez's value as a QB.  My counterpoint was simply that the only thing their success proved was that the overall teams Sanchez played on in those years were better than the overall teams Jackson played on.  Nothing you said in any of these posts has done anything to even attempt to dispute or address that in any way.  Instead you've simply made excuses for why you think Sanchez playing like garbage in completely different years than the ones being discussed isn't his fault.  Frankly, regardless of whether or not I agree with your point, it really has no relevance to the point in question at all.

Feel free to defend Sanchez all you like, but the point still remains that there has been no coherent argument made to defend this idea that Sanchez playing on a successful team for two years somehow makes him a better QB than every means of evaluating his play, even in those two years, would classify him to be.

"with an endlessly more talented team than Jackson ever got to play with"

Not one single word of what you said has anything to do with the point that Pac tried to make and I subsequently pointed out as being utter nonsense.  You're making a completely different argument about completely different seasons, so I have no idea what you think that proves.  Again, the point I was responding to was Pac's assertion that the Jets overall team success in 2009 and 2010 supposedly proves something about Sanchez's value as a QB.  My counterpoint was simply that the only thing their success proved was that the overall teams Sanchez played on in those years were better than the overall teams Jackson played on.  Nothing you said in any of these posts has done anything to even attempt to dispute or address that in any way.  Instead you've simply made excuses for why you think Sanchez playing like garbage in completely different years than the ones being discussed isn't his fault.  Frankly, regardless of whether or not I agree with your point, it really has no relevance to the point in question at all.

Feel free to defend Sanchez all you like, but the point still remains that there has been no coherent argument made to defend this idea that Sanchez playing on a successful team for two years somehow makes him a better QB than every means of evaluating his play, even in those two years, would classify him to be.

BG did you not use the statement above your quote as part of your arguement or did I just make that sh*t up ? I was pointing out part of your arguement as being false. Sure you have your opinion and Im sure the Sanchez haters will come in and support it no matter what but that was the basis for my post it was not about other portions of the arguement is was directly focused on your quote above in bold. I mean endlessly ?? Really

FWIW - when Jackson was actually a starter in Minn, Harvin wasnt there.  Rice was a rookie and Shiancoe was a turd.  Both players were made by Favre and havent been sh*t since.  Jackson's top receiver was Bobby Wade.  True he had AP...but I'd say both Jackson and Sanchez played with some really sh*tty talent.

your right JIF but I think he did get some time with those same players in Favres second year in Minny and still sh*t the bed. Jackson is just not a good QB and neither is Mark Sanchez . Difference is I still feel Sanchez got a crappy deal here in a lot of ways. Will he move forward now ? probably not actully most likely not but for once I would like to see this team build a real offense like we did in the late 90's with Parcells.

your right JIF but I think he did get some time with those same players in Favres second year in Minny and still sh*t the bed. Jackson is just not a good QB and neither is Mark Sanchez . Difference is I still feel Sanchez got a crappy deal here in a lot of ways. Will he move forward now ? probably not actully most likely not but for once I would like to see this team build a real offense like we did in the late 90's with Parcells.

He only played 1 game after Favre got their and Im pretty sure he got injured and thats what brought Joe Webb into the picture.

The next time he actually got a shot was his best year, statistically was actually in Seattle with basically the same talent level.  A beastly RB and Doug Baldwin as his #1 target.

I'm not saying anything about either, they both suck, just chiming on the weaponz factor.  Sanchez in year 2 had more weapons IMO than Jackson ever really had. 

"with an endlessly more talented team than Jackson ever got to play with"

BG did you not use the statement above your quote as part of your arguement or did I just make that sh*t up ? I was pointing out part of your arguement as being false. Sure you have your opinion and Im sure the Sanchez haters will come in and support it no matter what but that was the basis for my post it was not about other portions of the arguement is was directly focused on your quote above in bold. I mean endlessly ?? Really

I said that and while "endlessly" may have been a bit hyperbolic, the point still stands.  The real difference here is that you were attempting to completely ignore the context of the statement, considering I made it regarding entirely different seasons than the ones you were trying to attribute it to, as well as it being about the entire team as opposed to you acting as if it was about one side of the ball.  The sequence of events went something like this:

Pac:  The success of the Jets 2009/2010 teams proves Sanchez's value as a QB.

BG:  No, the success of the Jets 2009/2010 teams only proves the superior talent of the Jets teams with which Sanchez got to play.

Smash:  2012 OFFENSE!!!

He only played 1 game after Favre got their and Im pretty sure he got injured and thats what brought Joe Webb into the picture.

The next time he actually got a shot was his best year, statistically was actually in Seattle with basically the same talent level.  A beastly RB and Doug Baldwin as his #1 target.

I'm not saying anything about either, they both suck, just chiming on the weaponz factor.  Sanchez in year 2 had more weapons IMO than Jackson ever really had. 

They both suck, but saying Jackson had a bad team makes no sense considering Jacksons best year(2011) was a 14 TD and 13 INT season for a losing team.  

In 2012, Wilson, a 3rd round rookie, put up 26 TDs and 8 INts and was one of the big reasons they won a playoff game and almost won two.  

Statistically speaking, Sanchez's best year was 2011.  Nobody would say the Jets had a talented offense.    And Jackson had AP in minnesota and Lynch in Seattle.  Sanchez had who?   Thomas Jones his rookie year and Shonne Greene.    

THe reality is they both suck but Jackson is worse than Sanchez.

Worse than Sanchez.

While I dont think either can be much better than the other...TJ does have a higher career completion pct and qb rtg...but they are both difficult to watch.

While I dont think either can be much better than the other...TJ does have a higher career completion pct and qb rtg...but they are both difficult to watch.

Completion % is meaningless if you can't put up points.  

As bad as Sanchez is, at least he had a 26 TD season. He did throw 18 picks though.  But   Jackson's best season was 14 TDs.  

In this day and age a guy who has 14 TDs and 13 INTs and thats their best season, is just awful.    

Archived