Green and White Scrimmage Recap: Part Two

T0mShane

--The depth on the OL is awful. Caleb Schlauderaff botched a shotgun snap, and was getting handled before that. Oday Aboushi was driven back several times and needs to put weight on. And Vlad Ducasse. Help is needed here.

but dude they signed Stephen Peterman, Willie Colon and drafted Brian Winters! That's so much better than resigning Brandon Moore. 

Geno will learn those pre-snap reads with more reps. I'm hoping Mangold can help him with the blitz read and coverages.

I have been of the mindset that Mark starts and Geno comes in the week 4-6 range if we have a rough start to the season.

The fact that Geno's protecting the ball, while still making some plays is moving me closer to the Geno in week 1 attitude.

Sanchez CONTINUES to turn the ball over. If we have any chance this season, the QB needs to limit the TO to 10 or less. It's that simple.

if Geno would have gotten killed 6x in a no contact on the QB scrimmage, he's probably not protecting the ball. I agree Geno comes in after the bye but there's not enough reps in 1 preseason to teach him how to be an NFL QB. the fact that Sanchez sucks isn't relevant to the matter. It's possible that Geno sucks worse right now. Who put up more points at the scrimmage? 

Who put up more points at the scrimmage? 

Who put up more points vs.the #1 Defense? Seriously, you couldn't figure it out listening to ESPN.

I know Geno moved the ball well on the opening drive (#1 vs. #1) but a couple of procedures ruined a Powell TD

Not sure if Mark moved the ball on the 1's. Had quite a few 3 and outs

I'm sitting in the parking lot of the Cortland Denny's trying to inducing vomiting in an effort to purge my body of alcohol poisoning.

A grilled cheese and an order of disco fries later from Roscoe Diner, I'm feeling much better.

Shanes assessment once again points to the fact this defense has major Issue at LB and its funny because Rex's scheme forces Offenses to attack that weakness.

The Jets are stacked with so called (as some Jets fans on this site have said) studs on the D-line, IMO that remains to be seen. Wilk is the only sure bet at this stage. I say that because Im still very concerned about our LB's handling guards up the middle like Bart Scott did. Sure its probably the reason Scott's body broke down but that's the Job of ILB in a 3-4 . What LB's do in a 3-4 as compared to a 4-3 is worlds apart I hope the Jets who lined up in the 3-4 at a higher percentage last season start to switch that number around to a higher percentage of 4-3 because I do not think our LB's can handle the 3-4. Maybe even more 46 defense.

I have to believe Rex is leaning towards the old Buddy 46 . I think the Jets are Extremely weak at the LB position and it will probably have to be the main focus in upcoming drafts or free agency waiting on guys like Ricky Sapp (ALWAYS Hurt) or Bellore or Mauga is not going to cut it and Pace is just out right slow and disappears for huge stretches. Is there a superior all around LB on this Squad ? NO. and I think that will be this defenses issue as teams will once again destroy us with TE's and in the intermediate passing game. No one will have time to throw deep due to Rexs Pressure scheme so that will never be an issue in a Rex Ryan Defense but can we get off the field on 3rd down ? of course our offense wont be helping matters with continuous 3 and outs and I really don't see that changing much.

If this team is going to lose I hope we lose big and land a guy like Clowney who would be the perfect fit for a huge need on this football team.

I think you're right.  IMO that's the problem with trying to run a hybrid D and disguise what you're doing.  3-4 and 4-3 LBs have radically different skill sets and strengths, and again imo, with the possible exception of Davis, the Jets don't  have a LB who really fits either the 3-4 of 4-3.  Harris and Pace are too slow to be ultimately effective in either.  Barnes and possibly Sapp have the speed to rush the passer, but not the strength or size to be factors vs the rush, and the backups meh,not the talent to really succeed in either system.

Geno will learn those pre-snap reads with more reps. I'm hoping Mangold can help him with the blitz read and coverages.

I have been of the mindset that Mark starts and Geno comes in the week 4-6 range if we have a rough start to the season.

The fact that Geno's protecting the ball, while still making some plays is moving me closer to the Geno in week 1 attitude.

Sanchez CONTINUES to turn the ball over. If we have any chance this season, the QB needs to limit the TO to 10 or less. It's that simple.

In a perfect world, they'd be starting Garrard Week One. As it is, they're stuck between choosing a bad QB in Sanchez who looks like he's given up, or a young QB who played in an offense that clearly hasn't prepared him for dealing with NFL defensive fronts. IMO, starting Geno right away will result in Geno getting sacked 10 times per game, possibly ruining his development, and ensuring he acquires myriad bad habits. Starting Sanchez will be unpopular, and he'll suck, but at the very least he knows how to protect himself and it won't get Geno killed. The problem is, Geno throws it so much better, and seems to understand where not to throw it, that the impulse will be there to start him before he's ready. There really is no option that leads to a good season right now. Garrard would have been a perfect bridge to Geno.

Mark got booed in the scrimmage- just imagine the greetting he will get at Metlife Stadium

I see people attacking the fans for booing Mark at the scrimmage. Two things:

1. Mark played like a rookie-- throwing picks, falling on his ass, throwing wild, and generally running a terrible offense. The crowd did not boo him right away. They booed him after his third mistake, about 40 minutes into the scrimmage. He earned it.

2. **** anyone who is telling these fans they had no right to boo. Many of them drive 4, 5, 6 hours to go to a scrimmage to watch this expensive, entitled pansy continue to suck while laughing it off. They earned the right to boo him.

I see people attacking the fans for booing Mark at the scrimmage. Two things:

1. Mark played like a rookie-- throwing picks, falling on his ass, throwing wild, and generally running a terrible offense. The crowd did not boo him right away. They booed him after his third mistake, about 40 minutes into the scrimmage. He earned it.

2. **** anyone who is telling these fans they had no right to boo. Many of them drive 4, 5, 6 hours to go to a scrimmage to watch this expensive, entitled pansy continue to suck while laughing it off. They earned the right to boo him.

I'm guessing you are referring to Antonio Cromartie?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/mark-sanchez-booed-by-jets-fans-but-antonio-cromartie-stands-up-for-him-080413

Sanchez booed, then defended by DB

Sanchez had a tough showing during a team scrimmage on Saturday, and Jets fans let him know it. The 6,000 fans that were in attendance let out a chorus of boos directed toward Sanchez after he threw an interception, according to the New York Daily News.

Antonio Cromartie was the player on the receiving end of the interception, and he was not very happy with the fans who booed Sanchez.

“I think that’s bullcrap,” Cromartie said to the Daily News. “My thing is, if you’re going to be a fan, be a fan. You don’t come out here and boo anybody.”

But that wasn’t the only time that Sanchez got booed during the scrimmage. He also heard it from the fans earlier when he tripped over his feet and fell on his backside earlier.

And to cap off Sanchez’s tough day, he overthrew a wide-open Clyde Gates in the end zone, which his coach Rex Ryan noticed.

“He missed it,” Ryan said. “He wasn’t perfect, that’s for sure. Certainly Gates came open, ran a great route, was open and we’ve got to deliver the ball.”

Sanchez (6 for 11, 93 yards) did have one successful moment, when he threw a 57-yard touchdown pass to close out practice, but that was about it.

After the scrimmage, Sanchez responded to the boos.

“Oh, shoot, I don’t care,” he said to ESPN. “That’s the way it goes.”

This doesn’t bode well for Sanchez, as he is locked in a tight competition with rookie Geno Smith for playing time. Smith’s numbers weren’t flashy on Saturday either, as he was 9 for 16 with 77 yards.

Ryan didn’t make any indications as to who his starting quarterback will be to start the season.

“Again, guys, it’s just one opportunity to come out and compete,” Ryan said. “Certainly, this is really the beginning stages of the competition, and I think it will be interesting when we go to Detroit (on Friday) and start playing some live preseason games.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/mark-sanchez-booed-by-jets-fans-but-antonio-cromartie-stands-up-for-him-080413

Sanchez had a tough showing during a team scrimmage on Saturday, and Jets fans let him know it. The 6,000 fans that were in attendance let out a chorus of boos directed toward Sanchez after he threw an interception, according to the New York Daily News.

Antonio Cromartie was the player on the receiving end of the interception, and he was not very happy with the fans who booed Sanchez.

“I think that’s bullcrap,” Cromartie said to the Daily News. “My thing is, if you’re going to be a fan, be a fan. You don’t come out here and boo anybody.”

But that wasn’t the only time that Sanchez got booed during the scrimmage. He also heard it from the fans earlier when he tripped over his feet and fell on his backside earlier.

And to cap off Sanchez’s tough day, he overthrew a wide-open Clyde Gates in the end zone, which his coach Rex Ryan noticed.

“He missed it,” Ryan said. “He wasn’t perfect, that’s for sure. Certainly Gates came open, ran a great route, was open and we’ve got to deliver the ball.”

Sanchez (6 for 11, 93 yards) did have one successful moment, when he threw a 57-yard touchdown pass to close out practice, but that was about it.

“Oh, shoot, I don’t care,” he said to ESPN. “That’s the way it goes.”

This doesn’t bode well for Sanchez, as he is locked in a tight competition with rookie Geno Smith for playing time. Smith’s numbers weren’t flashy on Saturday either, as he was 9 for 16 with 77 yards.

Ryan didn’t make any indications as to who his starting quarterback will be to start the season.

“Again, guys, it’s just one opportunity to come out and compete,” Ryan said. “Certainly, this is really the beginning stages of the competition, and I think it will be interesting when we go to Detroit (on Friday) and start playing some live preseason games.

Especially him.

but dude they signed Stephen Peterman, Willie Colon and drafted Brian Winters! That's so much better than resigning Brandon Moore. 

Because replacing either of Colon or Peterman with Moore as one of the starters would somehow totally magically change the talent of the same backups on the line?  Yes, we get it, you have a clear personal vendetta against Idzik.  At least try to base it on some semblance of reality if you don't mind.

great work TS, some good stuff..

sad that Sanchez still is happy-go-lucky, joking guy out there. doesnt he realize he is at a serious career crossroads? he may never get a shot at starting in the NFL again if he doesnt win this job out of camp. and he's still shucking and jiving through practice?? give me a break. fans have every right to boo him and his millions of dollars. maybe he will start week 1, but will he start week 17? my guess is f*** no 

LB is definitely the weakness, but come on, you can't fix everything in one season.

I also think Coples has proven himself to be a player already.  Maybe not a superstar yet, but he's shown he's an NFL starter.

Oh I agree EY (nice name :P ) that's why I hope we tank and get Clowney so if all goes well with the DL and Coples pans out add Clowney to the mix and you have what could be an elite defense for a long time.

Either way I still think we need to take another QB at some point in next years draft lord knows we are certainly due for a franchise QB and Im not counting on any of the ones we have in camp

Especially him.

I certainly agree that those fans had every right to boo and outside of maybe one or two people they waited long enough for Sanchez to earn them.  However, I won't fault Cro too much for defended his weak-minded, socal, pretty-boy-quarterback, because that's what football guys do and he probably knows that the Chez is one more poor article/boo-filled game away from drowning his depression in jail-bait vajay instead of the play book. 

Oh I agree EY (nice name :tongue: ) that's why I hope we tank and get Clowney so if all goes well with the DL and Coples pans out add Clowney to the mix and you have what could be an elite defense for a long time.

Either way I still think we need to take another QB at some point in next years draft lord knows we are certainly due for a franchise QB and Im not counting on any of the ones we have in camp

You can't tank for Clowney... You could go 3-13 and still not get him.  What then?

Lets see what Geno can do before we worry about a new QB.  If history is any indication, I'll hate him soon enough.  But for now, lets see him play.

Word. I remember in 09 I said the same thing about the defense--that the LBs (Pace, Scott, Harris, BLT) and safeties (Rhodes and Leonhard) were too slow and that TEs were going to kill us. The scheme accounted for it, I guess, and they were much better than the sum of their parts. Four years in, I'm still not sure how Rex pulls it off.

Thank you for dutifully recalling one of the many times you were incorrect. A solid reminder to continue ignoring all you have to say, just when we were tempted to view you as a knowledgeable poster

Thank you for dutifully recalling one of the many times you were incorrect. A solid reminder to continue ignoring all you have to say, just when we were tempted to view you as a knowledgeable poster

Like moon landings and zeppelin explosions.

Antonio Cromartie was the player on the receiving end of the interception, and he was not very happy with the fans who booed Sanchez.

“I think that’s bullcrap,” Cromartie said to the Daily News. “My thing is, if you’re going to be a fan, be a fan. You don’t come out here and boo anybody.”

And to cap off Sanchez’s tough day, he overthrew a wide-open Clyde Gates in the end zone, which his coach Rex Ryan noticed.

“Oh, shoot, I don’t care,” he said to ESPN. “That’s the way it goes.”

If nothing else Cromartie has become a class act and a hell of a good ball player while with the Jets.  Guy really turn his life around.  That being said people have the right to boo.  But I respect him standing up for his teammate.

great work TS, some good stuff..

sad that Sanchez still is happy-go-lucky, joking guy out there. doesnt he realize he is at a serious career crossroads? he may never get a shot at starting in the NFL again if he doesnt win this job out of camp. and he's still shucking and jiving through practice?? give me a break. fans have every right to boo him and his millions of dollars. maybe he will start week 1, but will he start week 17? my guess is f*** no 

He has the money,  I think he would love to get a career back up job by now.  He just knows this year he has to act like he wants to start.  He would be much happier standing behind a guy with a clipboard waiting for the offseason to do some modeling and bang some whores,. Hell, could you blame him?

Was watching NFL Network this morning.  They were phone-interviewing Manish Mehta (yay!!!).  Two things:

1) They showed a lot of practice & green/white scrimmage clips during the interview and what is obvious to anyone, except to those who refuse to see it, between the two QBs' throws:

Every pass Geno Smith throws hits his receivers' hands one foot off the body in front of where they're running, or hits them in the numbers while they're running.  It's practice, and most of the clips had no one rushing the passer, but he looks deadly-accurate - I mean PERFECT passes, not merely "good enough to be caught" - on the overwhelming number of his throws.  And they're not exactly getting Pennington-lollipopped in there.

Half the passes Mark Sanchez throws (which included the scrimmage INT to Cromartie, 3 yards beyond his receiver) are off-target even if only a little and still catchable if the coverage is poor.  There were two perfect throws hitting his guy in stride, one was to #9 down the left sideline and one to #18 down the right sideline (no pass rushers on either, as I recall, but they were dead-on perfect passes).  Of the rest, both with & without a pass-rush, most were either were either way off-target (like Cro's pick) or were off-target even if only a little, yet still very catchable if the coverage is poor (clip of incomplete pass to Hill on a crossing route where he threw it behind him a little: good enough coverage but would have been completed if he led Hill properly, as the coverage was on or a hair behind Hill & the CB wouldn't have reached a pass that led the receiver properly).  

Basically, the exact same thing we've watched on the field for years with him: traces of good (or better)with a mix of mostly slightly-bad to really-bad.  In other words, he can't consistently throw the ball where he wants it to land.  It lands here, it lands there, and he's no more likely to hit someone perfectly than he is to throw it too high or too low or too far in front or too far behind a target.  And that doesn't even take into account his pocket presence or decision-making, both of which are generally poor unless concealed by insane protection and/or his primary read being wide open.

If this is what he's been doing in practice all this time when we're not watching, I am baffled how Schottenheimer & Ryan & Tannenbaum (& I guess Sparano also, though he had no choice) thought he was anywhere near good enough to keep putting on the field, thanks to only unserious competition, and then guarantee him an extra 2 years on top of that.  I only absolve Sparano in this because, while he was terrible, it's doubtful he had any choice on going with Sanchez until those last few games, given the months-old mega-extension and the other QB options available to him.

2) Manish Mehta said about half the 6000 people attending the green/white scrimmage booed Sanchez (to be fair, they specifically asked Mehta how many of the 6000 were really booing; he didn't just offer it up out of the blue).  However, he then said he thought it was "embarrassing" & inappropriate & when he interviewed Sanchez after, Mark said that he & "half the team" thought it was out of line (or something like that) for fans to boo him during what is basically a glorified practice.  

So Shane & Matt, Manish Mehta and Sanchez disapprove of your behavior as fans (and Mehta claims that Sanchez claims that half the team feels this way).  You guys were not doing the Jets fan thing right & stuff.

So Shane & Matt, Manish Mehta and Sanchez disapprove of your behavior as fans (and Mehta claims that Sanchez claims that half the team feels this way).  You guys were not doing the Jets fan thing right & stuff.

Did he mention TomGayne by name?

lol

They weren't even malicious boos like you'd hear at the Meadowlands. They were more frustration groans, especially after he fell on his ass. As Sperm detailed earlier, Mark had plenty of bad plays. The fall, the pick, and finally the overthrow at the goal line was reason enough to boo.

Archived