Geno Smith's Former Teamates, Coach Lament Lack of Leadership

flgreen

Geno Smith’s former teammates, coach lament lack of leadership in 2012

Posted by Mike Florio on August 11, 2013, 7:07 PM EDT

GenoGetty Images

In the weeks preceding the 2013 draft, plenty of anonymous sources gave damning assessments of former West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith.  Now, folks are firing shots at Smith with their names attached.  Even if they aren’t mentioning his name.

Despite speaking in generalities, the message from both former teammates and Smith’s head coach in Morgantown is clear.

It started last week during a press conference.  Per Chris Adamski of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (via Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com), Holgorsen talked about leadership.  Or, more accurately, the lack of it.

“We have to develop leaders,” Holgorsen said.  ”It was a big issue on last year’s team — in a bad way.”

Again, Smith’s name wasn’t uttered.  But if the quarterback who came out of the gates with eye-popping stats and Heisman hype wasn’t in a position to lead, who was?

Some players have echoed Holgorsen’s remarks, also without mentioning Smith by name.

“Last year we didn’t have, you know, a lot of leadership,” running back Dustin Garrison said.

“I feel like last year, we fell apart,” running back Andrew Buie said.  “At certain moments where we needed to be a team, we weren’t a team.  So that was a big thing that [Holgorsen] preached all offseason: Team. Team. Team.  I honestly feel like as a whole team offensively, defensively and with special teams, we’re more of a unit as a team.  More together.”

“What’s different this year is we’re more a team,” offensive lineman Quinton Spain said. “There ain’t no I’s; we don’t depend on nobody.  We just depend on all of us at once as a team.  So I think this year will be better than last year.

“There wasn’t no team.  I could say there was a team early, but once we started losing we saw the I’s come up, so it just hurt the team worse.”

“I just feel like across the board there’s no one person on the team who stands out more than any other,” defensive tackle Will Clarke said.  “There’s not one person who’s getting a lot more media coverage or this much attention from certain national attention than the rest of us.  We’re all pretty much on the same level.  We’re all using that to try to just work together.”

The three players who got the national attention last year were Smith first, then receiver Tavon Austin, followed by receiver Stedman Bailey.  And while each arguably shares responsibility for the lack of leadership, the quarterback at every level is the primary leader of a team.

For the Rams, it’s not much of an issue; no one expects Austin and Bailey to become leaders, especially not right away.  But if Smith becomes the starter in New York as a rookie, he needs to become a leader sooner rather than later.

If he couldn’t or wouldn’t do it at Morgantown, it’ll be even harder in the NFL.

Tavon Austin already came out and squashed this the second it was reported; it sounds to me like a lot of players weren't happy with Geno, Austin and Bailey getting all of the attention.  Rex has since come out and stated that there's been zero worry about Smith's leadership qualities or ability to face adversity.   I tell ya what's rather pathetic, is the coach throwing kids under the bus.  If he was so worried about lack of cohesiveness, maybe he should have done something about it instead of sit back and blame it on a bunch of late-teen, early 20 year olds.  

LOL

So, of course, the only possible player that this could be describing is Geno - and the only player drafted out of that programs that will be expected to be a leader is Geno. Nobody else.

Spin, spin, spin... 

I always laugh when I hear the "we didn't have leadership" whine coming from players that, for all intents and purposes, could very easily have stepped up as leaders themselves... but didn't. It's called passing the buck.

These are always my favorite articles.  Team lacked leadership or had some locker room decent.  And after the fact, everyone is pointing the finger. Because thats a sign of great leadership.   It wasnt my fault!!!!  It was that other dude who didnt step up and lead.  

This is like the LT situation all over again, if there was sh*t going on or a lack of leadership, then here's a novel idea...do something about it!  You know, maybe, be a leader yourself, speak up, try to make change. 

The after the fact sh*t is hilarious.

LOL

So, of course, the only possible player that this could be describing is Geno - and the only player drafted out of that programs that will be expected to be a leader is Geno. Nobody else.

Spin, spin, spin... 

I always laugh when I hear the "we didn't have leadership" whine coming from players that, for all intents and purposes, could very easily have stepped up as leaders themselves... but didn't. It's called passing the buck.

Ninja'd.  Exactly.  sh*ts so weak.  

QBs are always expected to be the leaders.  When they aren't, people are going to blame them or throw them under the bus. It's just the way it is these days at any level.   QB gets all the credit and they take all the blame.   Not sure why a coach would throw this crap out there though, and this long after. Just seems like he needs an excuse for last season.  As far as the other players, what else are they going to say.  People tried to blame a 3rd String QB last year for problems.

As far as Smith, who knows.  It's a concern he kind of showed up a bit out of shape to camp though.

Tavon Austin already came out and squashed this the second it was reported; it sounds to me like a lot of players weren't happy with Geno, Austin and Bailey getting all of the attention.  Rex has since come out and stated that there's been zero worry about Smith's leadership qualities or ability to face adversity.   I tell ya what's rather pathetic, is the coach throwing kids under the bus.  If he was so worried about lack of cohesiveness, maybe he should have done something about it instead of sit back and blame it on a bunch of late-teen, early 20 year olds.  

Excellent post.  That is exactly the impression I got as a I read it.  It just sounded like a bunch of whining cry-babies who were jealous of all the attention that Geno, Austin and Bailey got.  More often than not Geno came through for them.  He carried that team in spite of a lousy OL who couldn't open holes for the RBs, and in spite of the D that couldn't stop anyone at any time.  I hope they're happy with their new team dynamic on their way to a 2-10 record (or whatever, depending upon how many games they play).

QBs are always expected to be the leaders.  When they aren't, people are going to blame them or throw them under the bus. It's just the way it is these days at any level.   QB gets all the credit and they take all the blame.   Not sure why a coach would throw this crap out there though, and this long after. Just seems like he needs an excuse for last season.  As far as the other players, what else are they going to say.  People tried to blame a 3rd String QB last year for problems.

As far as Smith, who knows.  It's a concern he kind of showed up a bit out of shape to camp though.

He didn't.  That was refuted by Rex and others.

Let's review the 2012 West Virginia Mountaineers Leadership Arc:

Marshall: W 68-34

Verdict--GOOD LEADERSHIP

At James Madison: W 42-12

Verdict--GOOD LEADERSHIP

Maryland: W 31-21

Verdict--GOOD LEADERSHIP

Baylor: W 70-63

Verdict--JUST OK LEADERSHIP BECAUSE GENO GAVE UP 63 POINTS

At Texas: W 48-45

Verdict--JUST OK LEADERSHIP BECAUSE GENO GAVE UP 45 POINTS

At Texas Tech: L 14-49

Verdict--AWFUL LEADERSHIP BECAUSE GENO DIDN'T SCORE 50 POINTS

Kansas State: L 14-55

Verdict--AWFUL LEADERSHIP BECAUSE GENO DIDN'T SCORE 56 POINTS

TCU: L 38-39

Verdict--AWFUL LEADERSHIP BECAUSE GENO DIDN'T SCORE 40 POINTS

At Oklahoma State: L 34-55

Verdict--AWFUL LEADERSHIP BECAUSE GENO DIDN'T SCORE 56 POINTS

Oklahoma: L 49-50

Verdict--AWFUL LEADERSHIP BECAUSE GENO DIDN'T SCORE 51 POINTS

At Iowa State: W 31-24

VERDICT: GOOD LEADERSHIP

Kansas: W 59-24

VERDICT: GOOD LEADERSHIP

Syracuse (Pinstripe Bowl): L 14-38

VERDICT: AWFUL LEADERSHIP BECAUSE WE QUIT

Smith may or not be an NFL QB. But this means next to nothing  Florio, to his eternal discredit, is the same guy who based on solely his dreadlocks, repeatedly badmouthed RGIII. And he did so despite the fact that Griffin is a gym rat, an Army brat, a bright man and a very hard worker. Robert Griffin might be the guy anyone would build a team around, and this idiot based on one really insignificant thing made him into a monster.  If you want NFL insight don't get it from West Virginia nonpracticing attorneys who  are overly fond of Brillcreme hairdos. 

I have to admit he does seem douchy

Hope he is as "douchy" as Brady! You can't be known as a douche unless you are relevant, if Smith sucks, and is a douche nobody will know, or care, if he is good, and is a douche he will be labeled that by haters, while the people who root for him, and benefit from his good play will all defend him.

Hope he is as "douchy" as Brady! You can't be known as a douche unless you are relevant, if Smith sucks, and is a douche nobody will know, or care, if he is good, and is a douche he will be labeled that by haters, while the people who root for him, and benefit from his good play will all defend him.

he can't beat out sanchez with the entire organization hoping for it

I just don't see it in the kid.

I pray I'm wrong.  I hope he shoves 2 TD passes in my face sat night

he can't beat out sanchez with the entire organization hoping for it

I just don't see it in the kid.

I pray I'm wrong.  I hope he shoves 2 TD passes in my face sat night

I agree, I wasn't being sarcastic with my hope, that is all it is, I don't know one way, or the other if this kid has it, or not. I was just kinda saying being douchy doesn't stop you from being a good QB, or a winning QB, if Geno isn't that won't be why.

Let's just remember that Rex named Santonio Holmes "captain", so I don't think he's should be referenced as the utmost authority on recognizing what makes or doesn't make a good leader.

What would Rex say?  

You have seen Smith, haven't you?  There's hardly an ounce of fat on him.  He's also all business and takes it all very seriously, obviously.  For someone who has that mindset, does it make sense that he'd show up for TC out of shape, even a little bit?  No, not imo.  They've (the media) been trashing Geno since the draft, dredging up everything they possibly can.  It's disgusting, disgraceful and ridiculous.  No other draft pick has received treatment like that.

Archived