Practice Report: Sanchez On Fire

flgreen

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand the hate for him having a few good practices.  I don't think anybody is squawking that he turned the corner or anythiing.  Just reporting on practice (cue Allen Iverson clip).  Maybe the press is making a bit much of it, but that is what they do.

Geno Smith would have to start murdering people Aaron Hernandez style to be one of the worst picks the franchise ever made.  He could never see the field and be out of the league in a year and that would still put him ahead of Ron Faurot and Alex Van Dyke.  At a minimum he should be a viable backup.  What on earth would make anybody think he would be worse than Kellen Clemens?  If he sucks that is what he will amount to.  How horrible!

+1 for the Ron Faurot reference :)

what about last season's opener vs BUF? Heck every opener besides Balt in 2010 he's been on fire. 

19-27, 266 yds, 3 TD's, 1 INT.  That's not on FIRE.  Look at the guys I compared him to:

Henne (Nov 18 vs Texans):  16-33, 354 yds, 4 TD's, 0 INT's.  And that was against a good Texans D, not a sh*tty Bills D.

Flynn (Jan 1, 2012 vs Lions):  31-44, 480 yds, 6 TD's, 1 INT.  You freaking kidding me?  MATT FLYNN?

It's hard to be impressive in the NFL at QB these days because numbers are so inflated.  Yet even on Sanchez's absolute best days there are sh*tty QB's who've done far better.  Dude sucks.

what about last season's opener vs BUF? Heck every opener besides Balt in 2010 he's been on fire. 

our defense was more on fire in that game than sanchez. 3 td's in todays nfl is not that impressive. its a good day, but not like wow he really lit it up out there.

And by the same token, his body isn't busted up like most ex NFL'ers, and he's $35,000,000 richer

Who's the dummy?   :)

nowhere in that post did I suggest that he was stupid for being able to bank 30mil and barely having to work for it.. just that he sucked at football. dude made all that money for practicing basically.

I don't understand the hate for him having a few good practices.  I don't think anybody is squawking that he turned the corner or anythiing.  Just reporting on practice (cue Allen Iverson clip).  Maybe the press is making a bit much of it, but that is what they do.

Geno Smith would have to start murdering people Aaron Hernandez style to be one of the worst picks the franchise ever made.  He could never see the field and be out of the league in a year and that would still put him ahead of Ron Faurot and Alex Van Dyke.  At a minimum he should be a viable backup.  What on earth would make anybody think he would be worse than Kellen Clemens?  If he sucks that is what he will amount to.  How horrible!

news report: "sanchez just had the absolute best practice of his career ever. 21/21, 5 td's and ran in for another on an amazing 2 minute drill in which he went from the 2 yard line and completed 7 passes for 80 yds."

jetnation: " I can't ******* stand that guy. he ******* sucks I wish he'd die of ass cancer"

news report: "sanchez just had the absolute best practice of his career ever. 21/21, 5 td's and ran in for another on an amazing 2 minute drill in which he went from the 2 yard line and completed 7 passes for 80 yds."

jetnation: " I can't ******* stand that guy. he ******* sucks I wish he'd die of ass cancer"

While some of it may be a bit hyperbolic, all of Sanchez's good practices seem to come during 7 on 7s when there's no lineman to deal with, only to see him struggle in 11 on 11s and in real games.  It just gets rather infuriating having to try to get excited about the kid when you have four years of him just letting you down. If anything I think it's people just tempering their expectations and reserved their excitement for when he does it consistently in a game.  I can't stand the kid, but if he goes out and becomes drew brees all of a sudden, I highly doubt you'll see people complaining.

While some of it may be a bit hyperbolic, all of Sanchez's good practices seem to come during 7 on 7s when there's no lineman to deal with, only to see him struggle in 11 on 11s and in real games.  It just gets rather infuriating having to try to get excited about the kid when you have four years of him just letting you down. If anything I think it's people just tempering their expectations and reserved their excitement for when he does it consistently in a game.  I can't stand the kid, but if he goes out and becomes drew brees all of a sudden, I highly doubt you'll see people complaining.

oh I get it. I just think its funny. its the recurring nightmare for jets fans. qb's who do just enough to get to continue playing and ruin our seasons. we all know sanchez has sucked for 4 years and now that we are all ready to move on he is practicing just well enough to possibly ruin another season and delay the transition. i'm, willing to bet the rest of my salary this year that he doesn't become anything close to drew brees though.

he is practicing just well enough to possibly ruin another season  

it's not Sanchez's fault. it's Geno's for not winning the competition. Everyone's neglecting the simple fact that Sanchez looks better than Geno right now. Even with the pick 6. 

For starters, saying every of something and then giving an exception of 1 is a bit disingenuous when the entire sample size is only 4.  25% is a pretty big freakin' exception.  Secondly, there is a significant difference between winning and being "on fire".  Sanchez was most certainly not anywhere close to on fire in that Dallas game.  The reality is that guys like McKnight, Trufant and Folk were far more instrumental in that win than Sanchez.  Especially when you consider Sanchez spotted the Cowboys 7 points.

That's not even getting into the fact that his performance against the Texans certainly doesn't qualify as "on fire" for a QB performance, but I can at least see making an exception there given that it was the first game of his rookie year and we were all certainly rather pleased given the circumstances.

it's not Sanchez's fault. it's Geno's for not winning the competition. Everyone's neglecting the simple fact that Sanchez looks better than Geno right now. Even with the pick 6. 

if geno isn't ready then so be it. though, unless sanchez has some sort of epiphany, he isn't going to do much good out there unless you are in the camp that another high draft pick is in the best interest of the future of this team.

For starters, saying every of something and then giving an exception of 1 is a bit disingenuous when the entire sample size is only 4.  25% is a pretty big freakin' exception.  Secondly, there is a significant difference between winning and being "on fire".  Sanchez was most certainly not anywhere close to on fire in that Dallas game.  The reality is that guys like McKnight, Trufant and Folk were far more instrumental in that win than Sanchez.  Especially when you consider Sanchez spotted the Cowboys 7 points.

That's not even getting into the fact that his performance against the Texans certainly doesn't qualify as "on fire" for a QB performance, but I can at least see making an exception there given that it was the first game of his rookie year and we were all certainly rather pleased given the circumstances.

I don't see the point really in talking about season opening games only to prove some sort of inconsequential point. the reality is that sanchez' entire body of work is pretty below average, and unless he suddenly gets it he is not a player who boosts the teams ability. he is one of the ones who has been bringing it down.

Where has Sanchez looked better than Geno? No one is neglecting it, it just hasn't happened. Sanchez had a couple good 7 on 7s and has struggled in the game and 11 on 11s.  The other day Geno went 7-10 with 4 tds in the same drills sanchez is being lauded for, while seemingly completing over 60+% of his passes every day.  The most we've seen him live is in the preseason game where he throws a pick 6, almost a 2nd pick 6 and then beat a couple blown coverages.  Not sure how that's beating anyone.

It was on the table as I had also grilled up some sweet potato fries.  The fork was midway up to my mouth when I saw him, yes a guy, dip the finely grilled delmonico in that bastard sauce and proceed like nothing was wrong, I just froze.  It still baffles me to this day how someone can ruin a beautiful steak like that with ketchup and don't get me wrong, I like my ketchup.

Pearls before swine.

nobody and i mean nobody can possibly be worse than gholston. the guy was picked #6 overall with one job in mind. rush the qb. what was it 3 years? and never mind that he had ZERO sacks he only had 16 ******* tackles....IN 3 YEARS!!!!!!! the level in complete suck that he attained is almost unfathomable. it's gotta be harder to not even luck into 1 sack than to have, say, 4 or 5 in 3 years. no injuries. just 100% complete epic suckage. imo, gholston is biggest bust of all time in the nfl ever.

Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell say "hello."

Not for nothing, but wasn't Sanchez like 13 of 16 on third down in that game? When you factor in that that was his first NFL game ever. I think that counts as "on fire."

But I do agree with you about Dallas. Sanchez choked hard in the first half of that game. 

Plus, he woke up on opening day against the Bills only after he threw an awful pick.

So he's really only been on fire in one of his four openers - his first, and it's be unfathomably downhill ever since.

At least both of those guys had at least one productive play in the league.

Yeah, but they were drafted higher and their teams spent a higher percentage of their cap space. 

The overall impact of Leaf's and Russell's suckiness to their teams was much worse than Gholston's on the Jets. The Chargers took five years and two highly drafted QBs to get over the Leaf hangover and the Raiders still haven't recovered. 

Meanwhile, the Jets went to the AFC Championship Game the last two years Gholston was on the roster. 

the gw scrimmage. the preseason game. Almost every practice in the last 2 weeks. 

The same scrimmage where he played miserably until the last throw? The same preseason game where he threw a pick 6 to a defensive lineman and then almost threw another one and the only reason he was able to salvage us a net of zero points was because there were two straight blown coverages??  I've yet to see sanchez be credited for a good practice outside 7 on 7s or drills; he falls on his face every 11 on 11.  I'd like him to be good, but it seems like you're just making things up now to be completely contrarian. 

Not for nothing, but wasn't Sanchez like 13 of 16 on third down in that game? When you factor in that that was his first NFL game ever. I think that counts as "on fire."

But I do agree with you about Dallas. Sanchez choked hard in the first half of that game. 

Plus, he woke up on opening day against the Bills only after he threw an awful pick.

So he's really only been on fire in one of his four openers - his first, and it's be unfathomably downhill ever since.

Right, which was essentially my point that, in context, you could count the Texans game, and I'm fine with that since like I said we were certainly all happy with his performance at the time given the circumstances, but it kind of says something when you need to constantly put qualifiers on things like that.

Right, which was essentially my point that, in context, you could count the Texans game, and I'm fine with that since like I said we were certainly all happy with his performance at the time given the circumstances, but it kind of says something when you need to constantly put qualifiers on things like that.

But I got to use the word "unfathomably" in my post. 

Oh my.  The guy with 4 years under his belt looks better than the guy who just started taking snaps under center this year?  LOL

From what I heard Geno looked significantly better in team drills again which matter WAY more than a couple nice passes in 7 on 7. It is baffling to me that people want to grade Sanchez on PRACTICE and ignore 4 years of ineptitude and the fact that he was pretty lousy on Friday and threw ANOTHER Pick 6 to a lineman. The excuse train for Sanchez is unreal.

But meanwhile u want to judge Smith on practice when he hasn't even faced a defense starting defense yet.

Archived