Chansi Stuckey Tweet: Massaquoi to try out for Jets

Greenseed4

Thought this was interesting

https://twitter.com/ChansiStuckey/status/370312855679422464

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jets reportedly bringing in free agent Wr @mjm_6 tonight for a workout in the am

----------------------------------------------------------

From all accounts I figured we were okay with our WR rotation and how it would round out (Braylon potentially vs. Obomanu and Spadola).  I like the idea of continually bringing in new talent to see what sticks.  

Just a hunch. Plus he's not practicing this week.

I feel like thats an indication he's making the roster.  Saving him for regular season and such.  

Why keep him around, not practicing, taking up a roster space if he's not a lock to make the final roster? 

I feel like thats an indication he's making the roster.  Saving him for regular season and such.  

Why keep him around, not practicing, taking up a roster space if he's not a lock to make the final roster? 

At first I did as well- but, idk....just reading between the lines I think he might be gone.

At first I did as well- but, idk....just reading between the lines I think he might be gone.

It just doesnt make much sense to keep him around not practicing if he's not making the team.  They've brought in plenty of guys to look at who could have moved him out.  Seems like a big waste of time and a roster space to be going through the pitch count motions for a guy who's not making the team. 

It just doesnt make much sense to keep him around not practicing if he's not making the team.  They've brought in plenty of guys to look at who could have moved him out.  Seems like a big waste of time and a roster space to be going through the pitch count motions for a guy who's not making the team. 

Sure it does.  He's not costing them anything.  He gets extra familiarity with the team and playbook in case an injury forces us to look his way again.  As a veteran he might even have a few pointers that help some of the younger guys (and I suspect he does).  He's not taking reps away from other guys (or not appreciably, anyway).  Or maybe the coaches (or other players) just personally like him and therefore the coaches have told him they're cutting him and would he rather stick around for a bit and be around the guys or would he rather go home?

I don't think they're losing out on evaluating guys (who will get cut instead of make the team) who would have been of value to the team.  Not because Braylon is here.

Sure it does.  He's not costing them anything.  He gets extra familiarity with the team and playbook in case an injury forces us to look his way again.  As a veteran he might even have a few pointers that help some of the younger guys (and I suspect he does).  He's not taking reps away from other guys (or not appreciably, anyway).  Or maybe the coaches (or other players) just personally like him and therefore the coaches have told him they're cutting him and would he rather stick around for a bit and be around the guys or would he rather go home?

I don't think they're losing out on evaluating guys (who will get cut instead of make the team) who would have been of value to the team.  Not because Braylon is here.

Never looked at it that way.  Why would Braylon agree to that?  Seems like it would be better for his situation to not hang around to help younger guys out when he's looking to play in the regular season and make money...but then again, nobody was really interested when he was available so maybe there is some truth to that.

Fair enough.  Now I'm curious.  Still think he makes the roster but definitely an interesting take to make me wonder a little bit if this has some legs. 

Never looked at it that way.  Why would Braylon agree to that?  Seems like it would be better for his situation to not hang around to help younger guys out when he's looking to play in the regular season and make money...but then again, nobody was really interested when he was available so maybe there is some truth to that.

Fair enough.  Now I'm curious.  Still think he makes the roster but definitely an interesting take to make me wonder a little bit if this has some legs. 

I would have to think if he was fighting for a roster spot he would be out there "competing" not resting him up for game action.  I have to agree with JiF on this.  Worst case scenario is he is cut and then resigned so that his contract is not guaranteed.

You know as well as anyone that I've always been a Braylon fan, but I think he's clearly a shell of his former self at this point, and is nothing more than an insurance policy for the Jets, thus the reason they waited so long before bringing him in to begin with.  If the Jets have enough of these young guys they like, they're not going to send any of them packing for Braylon's sake.  Even if they keep Holmes on the PUP, you still have Hill, Kerley and Gates who are stone cold locks to be in line for roster spots before Braylon.  Obomanu brings special teams play to the table, which Braylon does not, which I think would give him the edge (not to mention a much better history with Idzik).  So Braylon is at best fighting it out for one of the last 1 or 2 spots and if the Jets are as happy with guys like Spadola as the fans and even media seem to be, you know a rebuilding team is going to go with the young guy every time.

If I had to guess, the Jets would be just as happy to go all-in on the young guys to kick off the season, see how it goes and only if there are struggles and they feel there is a need of a veteran presence (or more injuries start to mount) do they look to bring Braylon back into the fold.  He's probably got a better chance to float around in FA as long as they want than some of the other guys they have.

FWIW, the Jets didn't sign Massoquoi.  I'm not even sure if they had himi in.  They signed Marcus Rucker from Memphis.  Apparently he ran a sub 4.4 for somebody.  Seems sort of tall and skinny. UDFA the Bears signed right after the draft and cut last week.  Stuckey was out of the league last year.  I'm not sure if he's still trying.  All the Braylon talk is interesting, particularly since they keep signing WRs.  You can't blame them for looking under every rock and with Edwards and Winslow (I know he's a TE) on pitch counts, they probably need extra bodies for drills. Michael Campbell was injured in camp yesterday which might also contribute to replacing a FB (Hilliard) with a WR.  

I would have to think if he was fighting for a roster spot he would be out there "competing" not resting him up for game action.  I have to agree with JiF on this.  Worst case scenario is he is cut and then resigned so that his contract is not guaranteed.

I'm still leaning this way as well. 

You know as well as anyone that I've always been a Braylon fan, but I think he's clearly a shell of his former self at this point, and is nothing more than an insurance policy for the Jets, thus the reason they waited so long before bringing him in to begin with.  If the Jets have enough of these young guys they like, they're not going to send any of them packing for Braylon's sake.  Even if they keep Holmes on the PUP, you still have Hill, Kerley and Gates who are stone cold locks to be in line for roster spots before Braylon.  Obomanu brings special teams play to the table, which Braylon does not, which I think would give him the edge (not to mention a much better history with Idzik).  So Braylon is at best fighting it out for one of the last 1 or 2 spots and if the Jets are as happy with guys like Spadola as the fans and even media seem to be, you know a rebuilding team is going to go with the young guy every time.

If I had to guess, the Jets would be just as happy to go all-in on the young guys to kick off the season, see how it goes and only if there are struggles and they feel there is a need of a veteran presence (or more injuries start to mount) do they look to bring Braylon back into the fold.  He's probably got a better chance to float around in FA as long as they want than some of the other guys they have.

Great points.  And like I said to Sperm, I really wasnt looking at it that way.  Its a very fair assessment and I'm intrigued to see how this plays out. 

I don't know if Braylon is getting cut. 

But I do think that Braylon knows that nobody but the Jets has made any moves toward him, so it is in his best interest to stay in a Jets uniform for as long as possible to see how things play out, even if they already told him he's not making the team, (I don't know if they have).

If the WRs suddenly look raw and unready to the coach and Edwards is on the team, the coach saying, "Oh heck, keep Braylon at least we have an experienced receiver" requires less effort than calling Braylon back once he's gone.

I think Spadola is on specials as well.  If you're not the # 1-3 receiver on a team, it's a must that you contribute on specials.  I think Braylon is probably getting cut, especially if Holmes is close to being ready.

Another thing has to be remembered about Braylon, because of the vets min vs rookie min, he probably costs twice as much as a first or second year player.

Think Idzik is very aware of that.  We'll see next year if he is to aware of the money angle of the roster

Edwards clearly isn't first option anymore but he'd make a solid third or fourth. Gotta agree with JiF here. He hasn't been cut (yet).

He's clearly lost a step and I've never been one of the fans that has clamored for him once he left but is there really anyone on the roster that can make the type of sideline tip-toe catch he made in the preseason game?  I honestly dont think so.  That would be out of reach for all the shrimps on the team and we know damn well that Hill would come down with it.  

FWIW, the Jets didn't sign Massoquoi. I'm not even sure if they had himi in. They signed Marcus Rucker from Memphis. Apparently he ran a sub 4.4 for somebody. Seems sort of tall and skinny. UDFA the Bears signed right after the draft and cut last week. Stuckey was out of the league last year. I'm not sure if he's still trying. All the Braylon talk is interesting, particularly since they keep signing WRs. You can't blame them for looking under every rock and with Edwards and Winslow (I know he's a TE) on pitch counts, they probably need extra bodies for drills. Michael Campbell was injured in camp yesterday which might also contribute to replacing a FB (Hilliard) with a WR.

they just signed massaqouii I thought

Another thing has to be remembered about Braylon, because of the vets min vs rookie min, he probably costs twice as much as a first or second year player.

Think Idzik is very aware of that.  We'll see next year if he is to aware of the money angle of the roster

Completely agree, and that's why I think at the very least we'd see, like others have said, Braylon dropped in final cutdowns and kept off the roster in week one to be brought back in week two, even if they do plan on keeping him around, just to avoid guaranteeing his contract.

He's clearly lost a step and I've never been one of the fans that has clamored for him once he left but is there really anyone on the roster that can make the type of sideline tip-toe catch he made in the preseason game? I honestly dont think so. That would be out of reach for all the shrimps on the team and we know damn well that Hill would come down with it.

well if they want Hill to become a player like Edwards, it does help to have Edwards around.

Completely agree, and that's why I think at the very least we'd see, like others have said, Braylon dropped in final cutdowns and kept off the roster in week one to be brought back in week two, even if they do plan on keeping him around, just to avoid guaranteeing his contract.

Bingo

Good point

FWIW, the Jets didn't sign Massoquoi.  I'm not even sure if they had himi in.  They signed Marcus Rucker from Memphis.  Apparently he ran a sub 4.4 for somebody.  Seems sort of tall and skinny. UDFA the Bears signed right after the draft and cut last week.  Stuckey was out of the league last year.  I'm not sure if he's still trying.  All the Braylon talk is interesting, particularly since they keep signing WRs.  You can't blame them for looking under every rock and with Edwards and Winslow (I know he's a TE) on pitch counts, they probably need extra bodies for drills. Michael Campbell was injured in camp yesterday which might also contribute to replacing a FB (Hilliard) with a WR.  

YOU DONT KNOW sh*t:

well if they want Hill to become a player like Edwards, it does help to have Edwards around.

I hope they want Hill to be a much much better player than Edwards.  lulza

they just signed massaqouii I thought

Looks like they did now.  Evidently within the last hour or so.  AFAIK, that was correct when posted. I'm wondering what move they made for this.  They just picked up another WR.  I doubt they'd dump him that fast.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/22/jets-agree-to-deal-with-mohamad-massaquoi/

I hope Gates isn't dinged up too badly. He's an injury concern to begin with

Archived